Quantcast

Motorcycle Thread

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Twice as long as it will take to overheat
From the release.

KTM 1290 Super Duke RR gets the same 1,301cc V-twin engine that puts out 177bhp and 140Nm or torque. The motorcycle has also gone on a diet and shed 9kg - thanks to the carbon-fiber subframe, body panels and wheels that are lighter by 1.5kg each. The motorcycle now tips the scale at 180kg and with a power output of 177bhp (180hp), the Super Duke RR gets a power-to-weight ratio of 1:1.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
That's just a tad lighter and same power as 800/850 two stroke snowmobiles have been for a while. Pretty impressive out of a v-twin but could be lighter :D
My R1 was 167bhp:176 kilos. It didn't have ABS, traction control, ride modes, it was a death trap. 0-60 in 2.7. The Superduke is the same concept I had with my bike. A GP bike naked.

The new Streetfighter is ridiculous, too. But the KTM is way hotter, literally. :rofl:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
My R1 was 167bhp:176 kilos. It didn't have ABS, traction control, ride modes, it was a death trap. 0-60 in 2.7. The Superduke is the same concept I had with my bike. A GP bike naked.

The new Streetfighter is ridiculous, too. But the KTM is way hotter, literally. :rofl:
Pretty sure that power output is electronically limited under 90% of all riding conditions.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
abs?

I thought bikes were appealing because they weren't cars. Now I guess I they're just half a convertable. Do you get to choose left or right half?
Bikes are powerful enough now that without electronic controls most people are unable to prevent themselves from high siding, looping out or spinning the tires simply from looking at the throttle. I stopped watching World Superbike and Moto GP once they allowed such things. No longer about who has the most skill and biggest cohones and more about which engineers can make the tires last longer.

I have ABS on my bike and I will say it is nice when some asshole pulls out in front of you on a wet day and you can worry more about avoiding getting hit and not going down. Perhaps that is cheating but my #1 goal is always to not get murdered by someone checking their Instagram likes.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I've just still to this day never driven a car or truck with ABS brakes that are safer (and 5 months out of my year are ice/snow driving)

The idea of ABS on a bike, if they work anything like the ones on cars scares the shit out of me. It went from choose your stopping distance to pick your target with that shit. I guess I could see it better with hydroplaning but I also grew up with regular 4inch afternoon thunderstorms so I learned how to drive in that stuff. Hopefully they do something useful on bikes.

Traction control and power delivery I can totally see. I was privy to some of the very early testing videos ohio had when they were developing the alta bikes and figuring out how to safely implement a fucking gnarly electric motor on a 250lb bike :rofl:

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
I rode an R6 in 200x (can’t remember) and it was nuts. I commuted by fancy racing scooter for years in central London and avoided dying many times through better manoeuvrability and braking than basically anything else. I think ABS is a great idea on big bikes. Actually given the state of the rocky slidey trails I was riding yesterday I can see an argument for it on DH and Enduro bikes too. 30kph and can’t touch the front brake or die is fun but could become really not fun and painful very very fast.

What about that H2R? Isn’t that the ridiculous power to weight right now?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I've just still to this day never driven a car or truck with ABS brakes that are safer (and 5 months out of my year are ice/snow driving)

The idea of ABS on a bike, if they work anything like the ones on cars scares the shit out of me. It went from choose your stopping distance to pick your target with that shit. I guess I could see it better with hydroplaning but I also grew up with regular 4inch afternoon thunderstorms so I learned how to drive in that stuff. Hopefully they do something useful on bikes.

Traction control and power delivery I can totally see. I was privy to some of the very early testing videos ohio had when they were developing the alta bikes and figuring out how to safely implement a fucking gnarly electric motor on a 250lb bike :rofl:

Unlike a car I can set the level of how intrusive the ABS is, can even disable it. I set it at the minimum and was impressed the one time I had to use it in anger.

Also ABS in cars has gotten a lot better when integrated with a good stability control program. I have spent a lot of time in cars without even power brakes and would say I do prefer braking au natural. But I can't say I am as willing to explore the limits of traction at 60 MPH when my only personal protection is my clothes.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Started riding z50 at 3yrs old and been off and on bikes since raced mx, lots of dunes, street, track, desert
My kids grew up on bikes as well.

Way too many to list these are just over last few years

Rebuilding 1 of my baja race bikes motors
Screenshot_20211102-141858_Instagram.jpg
Screenshot_20211102-141911_Instagram.jpg
Screenshot_20211102-141835_Instagram.jpg

1 of my many litre bikes I've had this wasy favorite and least modified ...never track ridden but a shit ton of canyons
Screenshot_20211102-142131_Instagram.jpg

Son and I our wheeling in front of shop
Screenshot_20211102-142300_Instagram.jpg

My other 450r race bike and a couple of our good off smaller bikes

Screenshot_20211102-141716_Instagram.jpg
Screenshot_20211102-141743_Instagram.jpg
Screenshot_20211102-141649_Instagram.jpg
Screenshot_20211102-142159_Instagram.jpg

Last edited:

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Took a short mountain spin yesterday in the early morning...glorious change in weather with the approach of the dry season. Almost-fall, amazing light.

The f650 needs its fork valve emulators and new springs installed finally, but I am gathering fork oil and a few other things before cracking it open to install and drill out the existing damper rods.

I will need to cut some preload spacers, looks like. When I did this with my Enfield I had to shorten/grind the springs to accommodate the height of the emulators; this should be even easier.

MonkeyGut

Monkey
Dec 8, 2006
I got one when I turned 45, by far the best thing I did in my 40s. Been on the MTB for over 35 hrs and the moto now for 8. I've learned a lot from the moto and how it applies to the MTB. The transfer to the MTB has been good and it keeps me learning technique. Hard Enduro is awesome, just take it in chunks and practice. It applies to MTB climbing tech hella, as well as dh. It teaches you to relax and understand line choice better than typical singletrack. I live within an easy mornings drive to all 3 of Idaho's eco-zones so I'd be a fool to not moto the best riding in the country.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
I got one when I turned 45, by far the best thing I did in my 40s. Been on the MTB for over 35 hrs and the moto now for 8. I've learned a lot from the moto and how it applies to the MTB. The transfer to the MTB has been good and it keeps me learning technique. Hard Enduro is awesome, just take it in chunks and practice. It applies to MTB climbing tech hella, as well as dh. It teaches you to relax and understand line choice better than typical singletrack. I live within an easy mornings drive to all 3 of Idaho's eco-zones so I'd be a fool to not moto the best riding in the country.
Let’s see your bike!

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
same here minus the hard enduro part. I view that mess as an IQ test that middle aged men on 300s continue to fail

MonkeyGut

Monkey
Dec 8, 2006
Ha! It has its place for sure and mostly, there isn't much but we have long talus field sections(some flat but mostly steep)that are just part of the riding experience if you want to ride the fun stuff. And since you can't just pick up a moto and shoulder it through the tough sections, you have to bring yourself up to the task...or just ride tracks.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Trying to convince the bank I need a bike. A '12 WR450F with plates popped up for a pretty good price. The wife said we could pull from savings if I found a bike, but the credit union was pushing a new loan since I paid off Frita.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Cycle trader seems to think not. At least not within 400 miles of me. There are only like 8 bikes total and none with a plate.
I friend of mine has a plated wr250f, although I think it's the neutered year I mentioned above. Another buddy had a 2016 that was plated. I know because it was the first dirbike I ever rode and it had all kinds of dumb shit hanging off of it, including a CA plate.

I know those hondas can be unstupified just fyi. I don't know OR specific laws but I'd be surprised if they're more stringent than here.

but anyway, yes buy bike

bikes good :D

edit: just asked, yes they had to add some shit to them to get them plated

Last edited:

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I friend of mine has a plated wr250f, although I think it's the neutered year I mentioned above. Another buddy had a 2016 that was plated. I know because it was the first dirbike I ever rode and it had all kinds of dumb shit hanging off of it, including a CA plate.

I know those hondas can be unstupified just fyi. I don't know OR specific laws but I'd be surprised if they're more stringent than here.

but anyway, yes buy bike

bikes good :D
I have been told unless it has a plate on it when bought, it's unlikely to get one on. I don't even have DEQ in town. :rofl:

The Honda is an ECU and exhaust, so like $2k on top of a $10k bike. I'd rather have a Redshift for $12k.