Quantcast

..:: Mun-Deigh Jee Em Tea ::..

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
The last thing you'd want to do is get your boat wet.
Thanks to my super shami, I was able to pull about 20 gallons of water out of the carpet even though it was covered. The interior was meant to get wet, but it rains a little more here than simply make things "wet".

I love watching the helmsman hit the deck in that gif. :rofl:

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I got to go on a tug boat in Boston Harbor. 5:45AM We moved 2 full Fuel Oil barges to Gloucester. We then wrangled the empty barges back to Chelsea. It made my weekend... No Parade on Ellery Street but the cars are parked everywhere.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
I got to go on a tug boat in Boston Harbor. 5:45AM We moved 2 full Fuel Oil barges to Gloucester. We then wrangled the empty barges back to Chelsea. It made my weekend... No Parade on Ellery Street but the cars are parked everywhere.
I used to run barges up and down the coast with my dad as a kid when not in school. Worked out of a pier on Marginal St. in East Boston, did a lot of runs to Spectacle Island during the Big Dig, etc. Pretty awesome experience for a 10ish year old kid.

I think I know the shipyard in Chelsea you're talking about. Almost right under the Tobin?

Last edited:

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I used to run barges up and down the coast with my dad as a kid when not in school. Worked out of a pier on Marginal St. in East Boston, did a lot of runs to Spectacle Island during the Big Dig, etc. Pretty awesome experience for a 10ish year old kid.

I think I know the shipyard in Chelsea you're talking about. Almost right under the Tobin?
I wasn't paying attention but it is closer to the bridge to East Boston. Right next to where the Army parks the Dredge and the fourth of July Barges are tied up. We had lunch at the New Bridge on Washington Ave afterwards and it was awesome!

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
I wasn't paying attention but it is closer to the bridge to East Boston. Right next to where the Army parks the Dredge and the fourth of July Barges are tied up. We had lunch at the New Bridge on Washington Ave afterwards and it was awesome!
Ahh...was it on the right side as you enter the harbor, right before the bridge going to East Boston? Right next to the Mobil station? If so, I spent a lot of time there as well. Small world.

Fun fact: my dad used to pull out the fireworks barge for the 4th of July show that David Mugar sponsored...it must be the same one you're talking about. He did that a few years. He also pulled out a barge they used to film a commercial with Chauncey Billups when he was on the Celtics. Got an autographed ball out of it.

Last edited:

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Ahh...was it on the right side as you enter the harbor, right before the bridge going to East Boston? Right next to the Mobil station? If so, I spent a lot of time there as well. Small world.

Fun fact: my dad used to pull out the fireworks barge for the 4th of July show that David Mugar sponsored...it must be the same one you're talking about. He did that a few years. He also pulled out a barge they used to film a commercial with Chauncey Billups when he was on the Celtics. Got an autographed ball out of it.

Nope Left side by the old Massport Barge terminal. The street Mobil is on ends at the entrance to the old Mystic Canal. Where the Old boat sank/sits in the channel.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Thanks to my super shami, I was able to pull about 20 gallons of water out of the carpet even though it was covered. The interior was meant to get wet, but it rains a little more here than simply make things "wet".

I love watching the helmsman hit the deck in that gif. :rofl:
Automatic bilge pumps are your friend... spend the fifty bucks and have it installed.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Have you tried in the bilge?
What I meant was, there isn't a ton of room down there. After having it floating in the water for over an hour, there wasn't much water in there to begin with. The last thing I would do at this point is tear out the floor to put in a pump that doesn't seem to be needed. I would think if it was an issue, one of the 2 previous owners might have done it.

As far as I can tell, it's not very common to have a bilge pump in a low profile speed boat, but I could be wrong.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
What I meant was, there isn't a ton of room down there. After having it floating in the water for over an hour, there wasn't much water in there to begin with. The last thing I would do at this point is tear out the floor to put in a pump that doesn't seem to be needed. I would think if it was an issue, one of the 2 previous owners might have done it.

As far as I can tell, it's not very common to have a bilge pump in a low profile speed boat, but I could be wrong.
The automatic would help keep it from being soaked in the first place. I will say this simply, if you do not have a bilge on it now, you need one, there is no if and or buts about it. Wait till the first time your hauling ass and it shutdowns un expectedly on you and you swamp the back end and put a foot and a half of water in it in the middle of the lake. Or some asshole hauls ass past you and send a wake over the front, or you hit a wave the wrong way and dip the front end three feet into that wave.

Set the pump as low as you can, no need to actually tear the floor out, I mean the right way is to build a drop into the lowest point of the hull, but anything is better than nothing. The automatic switch just helps when you are at home and it is raining. , leave the front as hi as you can, take the plug out, and leave the auto bilge on.

What you really do not want to happen is to water log the boat itself. That take a LOT of time to clear. If it is not water logged floors will dry in half a day of sun shine.

Last edited: