Quantcast

NC Ride - End of December

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
Subscribing to this thread....Wife and I are planning to be in the Asheville Area over the thanksgiving Holiday. If anyone wants to recommend some good rides for us to check out, places to stay or what not we wouldn't be opposed to listening to your sage advice, or drinking beer and riding bikes with you.
soo...gonna need a ride report! weather was great last weekend. leaf surfer's delight!

also, @canadmos - you have some firm dates yet? want to make sure i carve out some time to either ride with you in the brevard part of pisgah or fet y'all up to wilson creek for a day...

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
soo...gonna need a ride report! weather was great last weekend. leaf surfer's delight!

also, @canadmos - you have some firm dates yet? want to make sure i carve out some time to either ride with you in the brevard part of pisgah or fet y'all up to wilson creek for a day...
We ended up cancelling our trip, not sure if that was the right choice or not, but the forecasted air quality warnings, sensational facebook news posts, and word of mouth didn't seem consistent enough to gamble on making a 12 hour drive and spending a bunch of money......

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp

We're leaving Canadia via vehicle on the evening of December 22nd and hoping to arrive sometime in the afternoon the 23rd. And then departing on the morning of the 29th.

We are fully open to any and all guided trail sessions or recommendations.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
We're leaving Canadia via vehicle on the evening of December 22nd and hoping to arrive sometime in the afternoon the 23rd. And then departing on the morning of the 29th.

We are fully open to any and all guided trail sessions or recommendations.
I might be able to ride after Christmas day. Although, my lack of riding as of late is not doing much for my fitness. So I may end up fat and lethargic by then, or not.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I hope I can pull off a hotel room in Brevard after Xmas. But I still haven't ridden since Thanksgiving due to this cold/plague/ebola. So I will be rather slow uphill, more so than my normal molasses ascending speed.
We have a house or something... Sleep on the couch? I'm sure there will be bacon. :D

I'm not the one booking the place, but I think "we" have booked a 3 bedroom place. There are two of us going, with a third who isn't sure if he'll make it. So maybe there is even a free bed.

I think we even have a fire pit. :banana:

Also your slow uphill is probably fast to us. Remember our highest/biggest hills up this way resemble little bumps on a golf course fairway. :busted:

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
We have a house or something... Sleep on the couch? I'm sure there will be bacon. :D

I'm not the one booking the place, but I think "we" have booked a 3 bedroom place. There are two of us going, with a third who isn't sure if he'll make it. So maybe there is even a free bed.

I think we even have a fire pit. :banana:

Also your slow uphill is probably fast to us. Remember our highest/biggest hills up this way resemble little bumps on a golf course fairway. :busted:
Sweet, thanks. Might have to take you up on it if my Christmas season turns out to be a bust. I have this one hotel room that is strategically located very close to the coffee and breakfast area and has no neighbors on either side. It's turning into my second home in Brevard. You can actually ride from the hotel into Pisgah, no shit.

Also saw that @jstuhlman wants to take ya'll to Wilsons. That could definitely work for me as a day trip. I haven't ridden there in many years. Mostly because I'm not very familiar with the enormous maze of unmarked trails, and getting lost there could prove fatal. Back when I was still riding DH and racing, I thought that place had the best terrain for DH in all of WNC. Serious, raw, un-groomed, über-tech singletrack in the backcountry worthy of the effort to get to.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Sweet, thanks. Might have to take you up on it if my Christmas season turns out to be a bust. I have this one hotel room that is strategically located very close to the coffee and breakfast area and has no neighbors on either side. It's turning into my second home in Brevard. You can actually ride from the hotel into Pisgah, no shit.

Also saw that @jstuhlman wants to take ya'll to Wilsons. That could definitely work for me as a day trip. I haven't ridden there in many years. Mostly because I'm not very familiar with the enormous maze of unmarked trails, and getting lost there could prove fatal. Back when I was still riding DH and racing, I thought that place had the best terrain for DH in all of WNC. Serious, raw, un-groomed, über-tech singletrack in the backcountry worthy of the effort to get to.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Just curious for y'all who want to come out and do some riding... Do you use WhatsApp? It'd make coordinating/communication between us all easier on a group level.

On that note, who will be trying to come out? Only 6ish days left.

:cheers::banana::cheers::banana::cheers::banana::cheers::banana::cheers::banana::cheers::banana::cheers::banana:

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Just curious for y'all who want to come out and do some riding... Do you use WhatsApp? It'd make coordinating/communication between us all easier on a group level.

On that note, who will be trying to come out? Only 6ish days left.

:cheers::banana::cheers::banana::cheers::banana::cheers::banana::cheers::banana::cheers::banana::cheers::banana:
My Dads Liver failed. If he dies before that I will come.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Dayum @jdcamb that sucks, hang in there man.
I'm fine. I am a cold hearted bastard. I kinda hope he goes sooner then later. The last 10 years of taking care of his sorry ass alone has taken its toll. $39K in the last 3 years alone. He was/is awful sonafabithch in every sense of the word. Jailbird, all around Shitbird and drunken lazyass Hillbilly since the day he met my Mom. But enough of that... No fucks should be given.....

Dirtrider

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2006
Asheville, NC
Jdcamb sorry about your dad. Vibes sent.

I'd like to try and meet y'all to ride, but not sure about work schedule and getting out before 5. It'd be fun to show some new people around some of the more fun trails in the hatchery area of Pisgah..the 'more bang for your buck' trails.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Jdcamb sorry about your dad. Vibes sent.

I'd like to try and meet y'all to ride, but not sure about work schedule and getting out before 5. It'd be fun to show some new people around some of the more fun trails in the hatchery area of Pisgah..the 'more bang for your buck' trails.
One day soon I will make the trip to NC just to ride. I have poured over maps read reviews, made notes. I am very interested in going to George Washington National Forest to ride and backpack/camp and would like to link the trips. My Foster Brother lives in Hickory and I talked to him about staying there.... He seems onboard....

One day soon I will make the trip to NC just to ride. I have poured over maps read reviews, made notes. I am very interested in going to George Washington National Forest to ride and backpack/camp and would like to link the trips. My Foster Brother lives in Hickory and I talked to him about staying there.... He seems onboard....
1) Sorry about your dad, mine was also a SOB.

2) Keep me posted regarding NC plans, I might try to get down there and meet up with you.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
@Dirtrider we are bringing lights too, so we aren't opposed to riding at night....if you swing that way. :brows:

@jstuhlman we are completely open schedule wise, nothing has really been planned as in where and when to go. But 27th sounds good!

We should be able to ride all day from 24th-29th. Maybe a small ride on the 30th and the 23rd will probably be a writeoff after arriving from the drive.

So schedule is this at the moment;

24th - Ride. Where? TBD.
25th - Ride. Where? TBD.
26th - Ride. Where? TBD.
27th - Ride. Wilson?
28th - Ride. Where? TBD.
29th - Ride. Where? TBD.

We are probably just going to pick where to ride the night before or the morning of. Unless of course someone wants to lead the way and then we'll just go wherever you are. :D

@AngryMetalsmith @SuboptimusPrime @jackalope @whoeverelse @jonKranked (there's an open firepit spot to keep your feet dry. Just saying! :D)

Last edited:

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
hickory...sooo close to wilson creek...

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Three days left. :D

Our third group member has had to bail, so we have an extra bedroom if anyone wants to chip in a few bucks and spend the night.

Whats the best store for beer in town?

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
Not looking good for me. The muscles on the right side of my chest are most definitely pulled and getting worse from hammering. My brain says go rip some shit up in Pisgah, but my body says otherwise. I doubt this is going to clear up anytime soon but if for Christmas Santa brings me some relief, then I'll head up next week.

Keep checking in on RM. You probably won't get good cell coverage in the forest, but once in town you can. The Mexican joint next to Sycamore Cycles is decent, cheap, and right near the entrance to the forest.

Have an awesome time and scare the shit out of yourself deep in the backcountry on North Cackalack.

Oh and just incase you pull into Brevard and it doesn't look like the mountains are very big, don't let that fool you. You're in for some long climbs followed by mind blowing gnar.

Dirtrider

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2006
Asheville, NC
Three days left. :D

Our third group member has had to bail, so we have an extra bedroom if anyone wants to chip in a few bucks and spend the night.

Whats the best store for beer in town?
Stop by the Ingles in Mills River. HUUUUGE Beer selection. Trying to swing a sick day on Wed or Thurs to ride during the day. If not could ride in the late afternoon say 4-5ish. Pisgah Under lights is quite fun..

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
@canadmos can't remember if i said this earlier, but you should really download the avenza maps app and then buy the pisgah ranger district map. shows all the trails and where you are real time, even if no cell service.

Last edited:

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
@jstuhlman awesome thanks for the tip.

@Dirtrider sweet. Try to aim for Wednesday. I might have goofed on the schedule that I posted above. I'm pretty sure the guy that is coming down with me has to be back home Friday night...so Thursday might be a half day. Not really sure though, I'm pushing for a full day Thursday though. :D Lights are charged regardless...

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Anyone who wants to come out, feel free to send me a text. Not sure when I'll check this next...

Number is Nine-Zero-Five-Eight-Zero-Six-Two-Nine-Double Zero.