Quantcast

NC Ride - End of December

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Anyone who wants to come out, feel free to send me a text. Not sure when I'll check this next...

Number is Nine-Zero-Five-Eight-Zero-Six-Two-Nine-Double Zero.
I'll probably be calling you periodically just to say hello and talk about Politics and religion. Mostly at night. I hope you don't mind......

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
@AngryMetalsmith; this is why you need to come out to wilsons...there's so much other stuff to be ridden beyond the classics (haven't done raspberry or no name in years. or headleys shuttles...) beehive is ruffer than ever but overgrown

thinking headquarters/harpers/raiders or headquarters/persimmon/yellowbuck ... followed by a big and little lost cove cliffs loop...or maybe beacon heights/yancey followed by woodruff/schoolhouse...

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Dupont was fun. Nothing technical on the loop we did, but the ending descent was balls to the wall fast.

Rode through a whole lot of horse poop.

Tomorrow is Pisgah.

Last edited:

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
We didn't do Bennet, but we climbed ALL of Black Mountain and then rode down the entire thing. Holy fuck. The top quarter is just drop after drop. My forearms were locked solid half way down. We finished with Sycamore.

BEST SHIT EVER.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
hellz yeah. try laurel/pilot tomorrow!
I'm about five beers in...Planning the route for tomorrow. I have no idea what's in store for us haha.

Merry Christmas :D

Y'all are rediculously lucky to have these trails nearby. There's nothing like this back home.

Will text ya some time to finalize plans for Tuesday.

Anyone else in? @jackalope @AngryMetalsmith etc etc

@Dirtrider not sure what the plan is for Wednesday...We are leaving Thursday morning. Send a text?

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Plan for tomorrow is Turkey Pen to Yellow Gap to Laurel Mountain to Pilot Rock to South Mills River...Back to Turkey Pen.

Not sure if I can fit enough beer in my pack for this. :twitch:

@Dirtrider let's do that loop on Wednesday. We actually already had it highlighted on the map. How early can you do it? We were thinking of a night ride in Dupont to cap off the trip, that night.

Last edited:

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
Plan for tomorrow is Turkey Pen to Yellow Gap to Laurel Mountain to Pilot Rock to South Mills River...Back to Turkey Pen.

@Dirtrider let's do that loop on Wednesday. We actually already had it highlighted on the map. How early can you do it? We were thinking of a night ride in Dupont to cap off the trip, that night.
big day is big...merry muthafuggin xmas!

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am

Holly Fuck dude ! You bout to get all up in it.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
hellz yeah. try laurel/pilot tomorrow!
So here is what we did today; We parked at Turkey Pen and then rode Riverside --> Bradley Creek --> Up a road --> Laurel Mountain --> Pilot Rock. And that's when we royally messed up, time wise.

We got to the bottom of Pilot at about 3:30? We knew going across Laurel that we were screwed. So we cut the ride in half and ditched out to the highway 276 and rode that back into Brevard. My knee was hurting when we got back to town and we only had one light, so I stayed at the Hub while buddy went back to grab the vehicle. Riding down 276 at dusk was insanely retarded.

Notes....
-Riverside and Bradley Creek is what killed our time. That trail took FOREVER. Lots of trees to climb over, countless river crossings and lots of gravel road stuff. It was like a jungle...not horrible but slow.
-Laurel Mountain kicked my ass and then some. I was dead beat by the time we got halfway through it. And then it got steeper and rockier. Insane.
-Pilot Rock was crazy. I wanted to take pictures of the huge rock garden, but I was having way too much fun to even think about it. Non stop craziness.

Somewhere on Bradley Creek......not in the water. :D

Somewhere early on on Laurel, on the bench cut stuff. Long way down on some of it...

Higher up on Laurel. Getting our asses handed to us. :clapping:

Dirtrider

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2006
Asheville, NC

Should be able to roll fairly early. I will let y'all know tmw

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
dude. sweet! we'll have to figger out shuttle situation. i might have a friend meeting us there too. @canadmos - how many bikes/people can your vehicle take?

still to be confirmed, but i'd guess we should meet at the exxon station at exit 103 off of i40 (morganton area) at 9:30-ish. from brevard it's about a 1:15-1:30 drive; from winston salem it's a tad less.

coming from the west, you'll hang a left off the exit ramp; from the east, a right. station is right there. from there it's about a 45 min drive into the hills..

backcountry ride.
things to bring:
-t00b(s)
-any tools you might need
-food/gels/nutrition

i will bring creek beers

probably fonta flora brewery / mexican after

Last edited:

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
you can't be out the door by 8:15? i hate mornings. and stay up effing late. and i get up at 5:30 pretty regularly to get in a wilsons ride. because it's worth it.

this time of year you also need to maximize your daylight. even if we meet at 9:30 we won't start riding until at least 10:30/11:00

i have multiple options for good routes. son, you won't be disappoint. trust me.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
@AngryMetalsmith just needs more coffee :D

@jstuhlman our vehicle is pretty limited. Not much room for bikes (only two rack spots which we are using) and maybe room one or two guys inside. It's a van...So it can't go on any gnarly roads either. The road up to Turkey Pen parking lot was a little o the sketch side for it yesterday.

T00bz.....No flats for us yet. Knock on wood...:busted:

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
Good luck boys! Hate missing this but our no travel holiday turned into family reunion in Cincinnati relatively last minute. You're in good hands tho. Happy trails!

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
Alright dudes, tomorrow it is time! @jstuhlman @AngryMetalsmith @Dirtrider @jackalope

9:30 at the Exxon, on exit 103 off i40?

My legs hurt :D

Fuck & You...

Obviously wish I could join you, but I have to return to the mines of Moria. On a somewhat positive note, the new sender my bro built and guinea pigged worked nicely

Enjoy your shreds and tell Brian to not shit in a truck bucket....it's bad form.