Quantcast

New bike advice for my grrrlie's first mountain rig

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
So, I've been looking for a rig for my grrrlie. I've checked the used pages and been to a ton of LBS with her. She is willing to drop some cash, but doesn't want to go over $1,000. I thought I could find a solid XC HT rig for that price point, but I've been having trouble spotting something with the right combo of build spec and geo.

She's a wee lass at 5'3", and she has an appropriate body weight for that height (I don't ask such questions, and I don't wish to know such answers) so she's a feather-weight. She also has a road background, so she is bike friendly, but she is new to the dirt. I've taken her on two dirt rides, and she seems to like my taste in slack DH/FR geo bikes.

I recently found some solid prices on closeout full squish bikes that I think might make sense for her. The two I've got it narrowed down to are the Jamis Parker and the Diamondback Mission 1. They are both about the same price, so I need to find another deciding factor. Here are my thoughts so far:

1 - The Diamondback is a 6" frame vs the Jamis at 4". Is more rear travel going to be an issue for her since she is a smaller rider?

2 - The Diamondback comes with a stronger build (in my eyes) Fox Float rear shock, Tora Fork, Hayes Stroker Ride brakes, LX rear derail vs. the Jamis with a RockShox Bar, Recon fork, Tektro brakes, deore rear derail.

3 - The geo in the small size Diamondback has a 22" top tube, but she has liked bikes with 21" top tubes. However the 21" bikes she has tried had longer stems, so I think a short stem can adjust for this. The Jamis is a 21" top tube in the small, so I think she will fit that better.

4 - The Diamondback has a slightly higher BB than the Jamis. She like feeling "in" the bike and not "on" it so I think she would like the lower BB. Of course, the higher BB is probably due to the extra 2" of suspension.

5 - At 34lbs, the Diamondback is going to be heavy for her, but I don't think many of the other bikes I looked at were much lighter, and I think the Jamis may even be closer to 36lbs.

Both bikes will be mail ordered, so it will be a fingers-crossed and educated guess situation. Right now, my lean is toward the Diamondback. What do y'all think?

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
I know, there is overlap, but I felt the increased specifics and a revised title might grab some more input from the fem riders and those who have experience on these bikes. Also, I'm done with my new bike purchase, so I didn't want that to part of the thread to derail the grrrlie specific questions.

She's a powerhouse and managed to push my oversized 36lb HT around pretty well on her first dirt ride, and she was able to manage my 43lb DH/FR rig on some trail downhill sections (she hated the XC HT she borrowed, so I let her rock the sofa once the climbs were over). However, I'm concerned that 34lbs and 4-6" of squish might be quite a bit for her on.

I've got a bud with a small SC Chameleon that I'd like to pick up, but he's been hard to get a hold of lately due to work. He'd give me a bro deal on it, but I'm thinking it might be worth to spend the extra on the full squish since they are available for closeout prices.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
damn - get her a nice steel hardtail like an On One 456 or something in that realm. 34 pounds for her first mountain bike - that seems kinda on the heavy side to me.

Piece together a build from www.unrealcycles.com and she'll be a happy camper I suspect.

Mattoid

Monkey
Aug 3, 2003
Charlottesville, Virginia
This looks like a great package for the price.
http://www.hucknroll.com/mountainbike/Rocky-Mountain-Vertex-50-XC-Bike-Womens/RMB0010M.html

Does she really want a big n' burly bike for her first mountain bike? If she is a light weight it becomes even more important to have a light rig, not to mention proportionally 6" of travel is a lot for someone so small. If I wasn't 180lbs there is no way I would enjoy riding my 32 lb bike up mountains.

I just went through this with my girlfriend (5'4 and a lightweight), she did a year on a small 15" Cove Handjob :-)D) with a shorty stem and she just graduated up to a nicely speced specialized Safire, which she loves.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
damn - get her a nice steel hardtail like an On One 456 or something in that realm. 34 pounds for her first mountain bike - that seems kinda on the heavy side to me.

Piece together a build from www.unrealcycles.com and she'll be a happy camper I suspect.
I want to, but I can't do it for under $1,000. The build kit alone is $695 on sale for a 1X9 setup. Add a frame and fork, and the budget is blown apart.

This looks like a great package for the price.
http://www.hucknroll.com/mountainbike/Rocky-Mountain-Vertex-50-XC-Bike-Womens/RMB0010M.html

Does she really want a big n' burly bike for her first mountain bike? If she is a light weight it becomes even more important to have a light rig, not to mention proportionally 6" of travel is a lot for someone so small. If I wasn't 180lbs there is no way I would enjoy riding my 32 lb bike up mountains.

I just went through this with my girlfriend (5'4 and a lightweight), she did a year on a small 15" Cove Handjob :-)D) with a shorty stem and she just graduated up to a nicely speced specialized Safire, which she loves.
Another great deal, but again, over $1,000.

I was hoping to find a used rig, but it looks like there aren't many small sized rigs floating around. I'd love to find a used DS/DJ rig that I could throw a derail on. I still think HT is the best way to go for weight and fewer maint issues, but the options in her size at that pricepoint aren't as good as I'd hoped.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
I'm with the others here... get her a lighter hardtail over a cheap/heavy full suspension bike.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
I'm with the others here... get her a lighter hardtail over a cheap/heavy full suspension bike.
I'd love to, but it looks like the XC rigs I'm finding under $1,000 tend to be heavy with crappy parts mix. I thought there would be better deals at that pricepoint. I'm open to suggestions.

ultraNoob

Yoshinoya Destroyer
Jan 20, 2007
Hills of Paradise
man, those prices look good. any saddle time on the motobecane? i know nothing about them? mtbr says they are nice bikes.
Only motobecane bike I've ridden was one of the road bikes. I'd venture to say that they have similar workmanship to the Sette line of bikes.

The geometry of the HT's look normal, nothing overly aggressive or relaxed. Look like standard cookie cutter frames. Most of the bikes on their site between $500 -$900 look like decent intermediate level rides that will get the job done.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
I think AmishMatt may have the winner. I'll cover the overage for her $1,000 budget. The geo looks good, with the right TTT number. The HA is a bit steep, but she's not freeriding. The carbon stay should add some comfort. The weight is sub 30, and the parts build looks tasty. And she loves blue, so I think that will send her over the moon.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
I'd love to, but it looks like the XC rigs I'm finding under $1,000 tend to be heavy with crappy parts mix. I thought there would be better deals at that pricepoint. I'm open to suggestions.
That's weird, I haven't bought a complete bike in a long time, but you used to be able to get a nice bike - about 25lbs in the $800 range.

I'll see what I can dig up.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Here's what I found:

K2 T:Nine Skyline - designed by women, for women... $799 (originally $1399) - link
Couldn't see a weight, but it looks under 30lbs. Manufacturer product page

GT Zaskar Elite - $899 (originally $1399) - link
Not women-specific, but remember this used to be a favorite of the women that used to race in the mid-90s. A stem and seat swap might do the trick. Have small & extra-small in stock. No price listed, but this has to be under 30lbs.

The Jamis Womens Dakota Comp Bike 08 looks great though.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
thanks dump.

i called the grrrlie and showed her the Dakota and she liked it. of course, she then went to REI for non-bike reasons and called to tell me about a blah-brand they had on sale for $300. I appreciate her enthusiasm, i just wish i could just mind-meld my bike experience to her so she would spot a crappy build... now i know how my dad used to feel when he would take me shopping as a kid.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Oh yeah, I meant to check out REI - there might be some deals there.

Buy it nice or buy it twice ;)

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Rei seems to have a pretty decent women's-specific selection:
http://www.rei.com/search?cat=8000&cat=4500003_Bicycles&cat=40003120&hist=cat%2C4500003_Bicycles%3ABicycles^cat%2C40003120%3AWomen%27s+Mountain+Bikes

This could be nice
http://www.rei.com/product/780971

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
i just wish i could just mind-meld my bike experience to her so she would spot a crappy build...
This takes time and experience.. just like anytime you're getting into something new.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Rocky Mountain Vertex 50 XC Bike - Women's - link
Great looking components here... unfortunately a bit out of your price range at $1350 (originally $2,199)

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
thanks to everyone here for contributing. there have been some great finds. i'm leaning toward helping her with that rocky mountain. it is over the budget, but i think it would be an awesome ride and worth an early b-day present.
I'm with you on that one if you can swing it!

InsaNeil

Chimp
Mar 10, 2010
Don't buy used, buy new from a local shop!!! If your looking at spending under a grand that's perfect. Buying new from a shop you'll get a full warranty, free adjustments, a free tuneup down the road, and a bike that is reliable and hasn't been beat on! You have a problem, your shop will take care of you. $1000 is more than enough to get your girl going too. If a hardtail is what you want, check out the Raleigh Mojave 8.0. It gets amazing reviews( http://www.bicycling.com/article/1,6610,s1-1-3-15820-1,00.html ), it's in your budget, it comes in blue, and with a good rider it's enough to win a local XC race. If it's a full suspension you want check out the Yukon FX by Giant. That bike defies all the rules when it comes to low budget FS bikes. It climbs, corners, and descends like a $1500 bike. http://www.mountainbiketales.com/reviews/youkon.htm But no matter what you do, don't get a Diamond Back!!! You crazy??? Dick's sells Diamond Backs. Is that what you want for your girl, a Dick's bike? Come on.

spocomptonrider

sportin' the CROCS
Nov 30, 2007
spokanistan
blah blah blah
Jeebus can I have some of that Kool-Aid? While I'm all for supporting local shops you're missing a few key points. Adjusting and maintaining a bike is not rocket surgery some things are a little more difficult than others but any schlub with a screw driver and a set of Allen keys can do most of the "adjustments" shops tout when trying to get you to pay keystone for a bike.

The reality is as far as cost is concerned most shops cannot compete with the volume based discounts internet shops can give, where they need to focus their efforts is building high end custom rigs keeping odd parts in stock and selling bread and butter bikes to people who will likely ride them a few times and then let them become garage ornaments. With rare exception smart riders on a budget will always turn to the intertoob at one point or another even if they have a great relationship with a bike shop.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
Yeah, I'd like to go LBS, but more because I believe in supporting the merchants that live and work in the area. However, the web is a far better source for prices, particularly when you can get free shipping and skip the sales tax... which is a material number here in California. Buy a $1,000 bike and spend $100 in sales tax... ouch.

Spoco hit the nail on the head with the "adjustments" as a false value selling point. I've been working on my bikes for so long now that the only time I go to a shop for work is when they have a tool that it wouldn't make sense for me to own (like a headset press, or a BB chase/face tool... too expensive to own for the number of times I'd use it). I can lube and/or change a chain just fine. I can instal and adjust a front and rear derail. I can shim my hydros and change the pads (though I'm still not comfy doing a bleed). However, for someone new to the game, I'd say it might have some value.

Snowflake

Monkey
Aug 10, 2009
Maryland
I know, there is overlap, but I felt the increased specifics and a revised title might grab some more input from the fem riders and those who have experience on these bikes. Also, I'm done with my new bike purchase, so I didn't want that to part of the thread to derail the grrrlie specific questions.

She's a powerhouse and managed to push my oversized 36lb HT around pretty well on her first dirt ride, and she was able to manage my 43lb DH/FR rig on some trail downhill sections (she hated the XC HT she borrowed, so I let her rock the sofa once the climbs were over). However, I'm concerned that 34lbs and 4-6" of squish might be quite a bit for her on.
Well, are you sure she will enjoy a hardtail? It seems you have decided to go that route, and I hope you guys take into consideration the type of riding you will be doing. If you wouldn't have fun on the hardtail doing it - she won't either.

And, since I really don't care.. I'm 5'5 and 117ish. Yeah, it's sometimes not the easiest to throw my 40.5lb bike around.. But, I definitely would NOT want to take 4 inches of travel away just to save 10 pounds.

I guess what I'm saying is... Make sure she rides a hardtail before one is bought. ;)

InsaNeil

Chimp
Mar 10, 2010
NVM. I guess it's one of those things you have to learn on your own. Just do me a flavor, read the reviews I posted links to, and think about it. And just keep in mind, spocomptonrider only replied to one of my sub points which despite what you think he still kinda missed. I worked in a shop for years and a guy in his garage(including me) isn't the same as a shop mechanic in a shop.

spocomptonrider

sportin' the CROCS
Nov 30, 2007
spokanistan
NVM. I guess it's one of those things you have to learn on your own. Just do me a flavor, read the reviews I posted links to, and think about it. And just keep in mind, spocomptonrider only replied to one of my sub points which despite what you think he still kinda missed. I worked in a shop for years and a guy in his garage(including me) isn't the same as a shop mechanic in a shop.
Still kind of missed how? You also tout LBS's as the only place where you can get warranty work performed which simply isn't true. As long as the place you buy your bike from is an authorized dealer your warranty is still valid. I'm not arguing the point that buying a used bike may not be the best idea but buying a bike from a shop simply for the reasons you listed is ludicrous. Especially considering the fact that most of the posters here are probably comfortable doing their own "adjustments". A guy in his garage is not as qualified as some of the old salt mechanics but around here there are just as many 16 year olds wrenching on bikes as obese women doing their first triathlon this summer.

-edit- Also WTF does "climbs corners and descends like a $1500 bike" even mean? Do you work for Mountain Bike Action? If I buy an S-works Stumpjumper for 1500$ its going to ride identically?

Last edited: