Quantcast

New Fox forks

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
Yeah but not buying a brand new 38mm fork because it doesn't have reverse compatibility or better yet a new hub standard? Geez.
Not at all. I already bought a 38. It feels amazing (both air spring and cartridge) but I would like a pinch bolt or 4 and a 20mm axle. Not a deal breaker. I like to try all this stuff myself rather than theorize people based from experiences with my Judy DH, 66 and White Bros DH3.

Freeride!

725C5486-FF5B-4586-8EE8-5C07916BD2CE.jpeg

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
Did riders actually ever ask for the tool free front axle?

Because now they certainly want to replace those with aftermarket non-lever axles that “look clean”.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
Sure; the whole bike. The fork is interesting, but the whole build looks rad too. You dig it?
What's the travel front and rear?

thanks
Which part? The 40 or the bike in general?

If you're talking about the fork, literally just weight, now that I fixed the offset.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
HAB's shortened 40 weighs less than my old style 36 :rofl:
Other things that weigh less than those old 36s:
  • The Vatican
  • Your mom (redacted, that's not true)

Sure; the whole bike. The fork is interesting, but the whole build looks rad too. You dig it?
What's the travel front and rear?

thanks
180f/155r as I ride it most of the time. There's a flip chip for a longer stroke shock that makes it 175mm rear. I like it a whole lot for the winch and plummet type of riding I mostly do around here. The idea was to build the closest thing I could to a DH bike that still climbed pretty well (note: it is still not a replacement for an actual DH bike) and it's good at that. The more rolling and varied the terrain is, the less sense it makes. It's a big, long, slack bike that needs to be pointed pretty solidly downhill to really come alive and work.

Feb 21, 2020
SoCo Western Slope
Has anyone been able to do that in the last 10 years? Maybe 3 people.
More than 3, I have an older 36 that is convertible and is currently 20mm.
I also have a 15mm only set of lowers for it with zero pinch bolts.

Whether it is because of the larger axle diameter, or pinch bolts, or both there is noticeable difference in how it reacts and tracks. Mucho bettero.

The lack of 20mm hubs from OEM (or lack of wanting to produce 20mm hubs) is probably what drove this.
At least they added a pinch bolt and kinda moto style axle. I think it's funny that Fox portrays the "floating axle" as some cool new concept.

You'd be surprised by the real test lab comparison testing done some big companies on 15mm vs 20mm axle designs. Or if you have done it yourself maybe not.

But then when the product managers can save some weight and 90% of the customer base cannot tell the difference it is an easy choice.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
But then when the product managers can save some weight
They're not lighter :rofl:. The first gen fox 15mm stuff was actually heavier because they used thicker wall bolts. And magnesium cast lower material weighs nothing in the different clamp sizes.

Formula etc that makes all the OEM hubs still make 20mm hubs. Again, we JUST went through like 9 new hub standards over the last 5 years, one of them just another 20mm version.

Let's see that test data. I need a reason to tell JM and toodles I'm right and they're wrong, so that I can then get back to dealing with their fanny packs.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Let's see that test data. I need a reason to tell JM and toodles I'm right and they're wrong, so that I can then get back to dealing with their fanny packs.
Ok I'll admit that the 20mm is the go if it was/is available. But cmon - you're saying you'd not run the 38 over a much older fork just because it doesn't have that axle? Jeez.

Kinda wonder if the 20mm axle option might make it onto the Marzocchi branded sidestream of product at some stage. Fox seems to be using that as their "go around" for reintroducing tech they claimed to have surpassed.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Ok I'll admit that the 20mm is the go if it was/is available. But cmon - you're saying you'd not run the 38 over a much older fork just because it doesn't have that axle? Jeez.
That's exactly what I'm saying. Because this 38 is light. Which means they used thinner walled stanchions than they could have, and less material in the castings than they could have. Which means it's flexier than it could have been. You see that funky steerer tube? That's awesome. It's a weight penalty free design choice that will help negate the other stiffness compromises. The 20mm bolt would have been another one. A really significant one at that.

I said earlier in this thread that I'll be curious to compare the stiffness of a 38 to my old 36. Because there's a damn good chance it's not as stiff. In which case I have no use for it.

Kinda wonder if the 20mm axle option might make it onto the Marzocchi branded sidestream of product at some stage. Fox seems to be using that as their "go around" for reintroducing tech they claimed to have surpassed.
Castings are the most expensive/committed component of a fork I would think. I can't think of any deviations between fox/marzocchi since they took over the name. Are any of the zoke ones unique?

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Castings are the most expensive/committed component of a fork I would think. I can't think of any deviations between fox/marzocchi since they took over the name. Are any of the zoke ones unique?
I'm pretty sure the Marz forks all use the same castings. Which is why I'm quite sure a 20mm Marz single crown isn't happening.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Didn't they coil the Marz options? And cmon - they gotta cast 28 different fork varieties when basically 3 should do. Whats its gonna do - send them broke to do two more with a 20mm and pinchbolts? It'd only kill their marketing guy who told everyone that 15mm was the future. And given COVID they're probably trying to kill off a few employees anyway. Win - Win.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
The Marzocchi's have their own lowers.
The MRP 15mm boost hub conversion kit is pretty nice for neutering a perfectly good 20mm DT Swiss 240 OS or Hope hub to make it fit the forks everyone is buying which forced the end of 20mm pinchbolt fork, btw.