Quantcast

NEW Notubes.com DH specific rims

redride

Monkey
Sep 23, 2007
Kuala Lumpur
Anyone have any updates on these? Are they for real? I am running the FLOWs and like it but would love something a little more solid.

i though i read somewhere that they were coming out with one.
R

Last edited:

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
DH specific rim is coming. Look for it under certain extremely fast (podium) riders this season, labeled as something else. I can't really say anymore than that at this time.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Wonder if it'll be a Sun Ringle...their new Black Flag and Charger wheelsets use liscenced notubes tech...
I was about to say this. I think it's in the latest issue of Dirt that they highlight a new set of Sun wheels... can't wait to hear if they work well with non-UST DH casing tires (especially Maxxis).

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
DH specific rim is coming. Look for it under certain extremely fast (podium) riders this season, labeled as something else. I can't really say anymore than that at this time.
Will these riders actually be riding them with no tubes? :D

Only ask since it seems as if most WC riders are in fact running tubes.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Will these riders actually be riding them with no tubes? :D

Only ask since it seems as if most WC riders are in fact running tubes.
Don't know. It's more about rim development than anything else (shape, size, strength for DH). I'm hoping to have some in to try sooner than later.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
DH side walls and rim thickness will have to be beefed up dramatically for World Cuppers to use all day ever day. One dent in a rim and all your air goes bye bye. And I don't know of any alloy rim World Cuppers can't dent.

Slater

Monkey
Oct 10, 2007
One dent in a rim and all your air goes bye bye. And I don't know of any alloy rim World Cuppers can't dent.
Not in my experience. I've had 823's with multiple huge ass dents in the rim that still held air perfectly. Only time it was a problem was getting tires to air up when switching them out.

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
This is good to hear!

Butch - if I recall correctly Kovarik was running Schwalbes tubeless on his DeeMax Ultimates last season on certain tracks without much problem. I don't recall much else, but it's nice to see the envolpe being pushed in this area.

A rim that has some energy absorbing properties used in conjunction with a DH tire that has robust sidewalls like Schwalbes seem like a step in the right direction. It will be interesting to see what this new DH tubeless rim is about. So far Mavic has the only aftermarket DH UST rim out there that uses regular spokes while most others use proprietary tech which I believe creates a barrier to useage potential.

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
Hrm....so who makes light rims that are unassuming enough in appearance that can be "stickered" with No-Tubes rims (also unassuming in appearance), and also has a good bit of podium athletes riding for them?

My guess based on some of the cats Transcend is hanging out with is that some folks want to have their cake and eat it too with respect to the EX1750's???????
:D

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Just found the Dirt piece I was referring to. In the Fresh Produce section, it's the new Sun Chargers. Dirt explains that Sun manufactures NoTubes rims, and have licensed the design for these DH/FR rims. They come in at 1720g/pair.

quickneonrt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2003
Staten Island NY
Just found the Dirt piece I was referring to. In the Fresh Produce section, it's the new Sun Chargers. Dirt explains that Sun manufactures NoTubes rims, and have licensed the design for these DH/FR rims. They come in at 1720g/pair.
the Chargers are more of a 4x/ds/am wheel. Way too light for dh

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
So... equivalent to a Flow? (which I consider not a true DH rim, though it can be used by lighter/smoother/racing rider) or the ZTR Arch? Too bad, I had high hopes.
At 130 lbs, my experience with the Flow rims was a weekend of riding DH resulting in 3 major dents and a huge flat spot in the front rim. No thanks! Maybe on a trail bike... :thumb:

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
At 130 lbs, my experience with the Flow rims was a weekend of riding DH resulting in 3 major dents and a huge flat spot in the front rim. No thanks! Maybe on a trail bike... :thumb:
at 210lbs, my experience with the Flow was that it's a burly trail rim that lasted me 2 seasons. but it will never find its way onto my DH bike!

al-irl

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
A, A
well im thinking the big s use no tubes rims on there roval wheels for xc so why not a dh wheelset from the big s

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
well im thinking the big s use no tubes rims on there roval wheels for xc so why not a dh wheelset from the big s
which would mean Spesh use a rim made by Sun, and license the noTubes design... interesting.

I can't believe I'm posting so much on this thread... I guess I'm still searching for that elusive perfect rim! (maybe I should just learn to build wheels myself, and re-build them as needed...)

al-irl

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
A, A
which would mean Spesh use a rim made by Sun, and license the noTubes design... interesting.

I can't believe I'm posting so much on this thread... I guess I'm still searching for that elusive perfect rim! (maybe I should just learn to build wheels myself, and re-build them as needed...)
i take it sun are making all the no tubes stuff.

Im about to try a set of flows I use 721 and always ding the **** out of the sidewalls but the rest usually stays good and true for a season. So im thinking if i can have 721 strength without the sidewalls it would be a winner

nmpearson

Monkey
Dec 30, 2006
at 210lbs, my experience with the Flow was that it's a burly trail rim that lasted me 2 seasons. but it will never find its way onto my DH bike!
Yeah me too...the flow rim just rocked. i was actually super surprised it it never got messed up. I thought about putting it on my dh bike, but ended up going with the new spank subrosa evo 30 bc it was only 40g heavier and super strong

big-ted

Danced with A, attacked by C, fired by D.
Sep 27, 2005
Vancouver, BC
i take it sun are making all the no tubes stuff.

Im about to try a set of flows I use 721 and always ding the **** out of the sidewalls but the rest usually stays good and true for a season. So im thinking if i can have 721 strength without the sidewalls it would be a winner
The Alex Supra D is exactly the rim you describe.

al-irl

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
A, A
ahh there the same as the reverse rims and i dont like them seen alot of them in and out of where i work and they seem to bend pretty easy

crohnsy

Monkey
Oct 2, 2009
T Bay
Are you sure? Seems odd that they would use DT for hubs/spokes/nipples and sun for rims... Also who is making their carbon mtb rims?

Dt rims are also specd on the good majority of their bikes that dont have roval wheels..

I would tend to think if they were paying Notubes/Sun for licensing they would be specing more Sun wheelsets on their complete bikes..

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
I'm assuming most of this thread is referring to the new Sun Ringle ADD wheelsets, but those new Flow EX rims are bound to be pretty popular.

FWIW, I've been riding the new ADD Pro wheels with the Stan's rim profile for a few months- they are definitely light (2000g), and been holding up tubeless pretty well so far. This is what I'm referring to:

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Fron rim? Where are you riding? I'm 170lbs and my front stans is 1.5 seasons old. It has some dents but it I managed to send myself to a hospital 2 times, rode 3 different WC tracks and bottomed the rim quite a few times.

If the stans dh rim is cheaper than e13 I might be tempted to buy one.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
I have a set of flow ex's sitting around waiting to go on the DH bike. I'll let ya know how they ride. Wider width is going to change tire profile quite a bit so we'll see how I like them, apparently much stronger than the regular ZTR Flow though.

I also have some of the new Arch EXs to try out for my Stumpy Evo.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
I have a set of flow ex's sitting around waiting to go on the DH bike. I'll let ya know how they ride. Wider width is going to change tire profile quite a bit so we'll see how I like them, apparently much stronger than the regular ZTR Flow though.

I also have some of the new Arch EXs to try out for my Stumpy Evo.
I can vouch for the Arch Ex rims on my 66 carbon. They are basically awesome for a trail rim.
I got to do a back to back comparison because my last trail rims were the old arches, and they were too narrow for wide trail tires. I could not run my Michelin 2.25 tires (which is as big as some companies 2.4s) on the old arch rims. The inside width was just too narrow, and it caused the tire to balloon out too much.
Super sketch how far you would have to lean it over to get the side knobs to dig in.
On the new ex rims, those same tires fit perfect and ride great, and the new rim lip actually holds the bead on better, so you can get away with lower pressures without burping. I like them so much that I now want the flow ex for my DH bike. That wider internal width and new bead hook should really make a difference compared to the old one.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
I can vouch for the Arch Ex rims on my 66 carbon. They are basically awesome for a trail rim.
I got to do a back to back comparison because my last trail rims were the old arches, and they were too narrow for wide trail tires. I could not run my Michelin 2.25 tires (which is as big as some companies 2.4s) on the old arch rims. The inside width was just too narrow, and it caused the tire to balloon out too much.
Super sketch how far you would have to lean it over to get the side knobs to dig in.
On the new ex rims, those same tires fit perfect and ride great, and the new rim lip actually holds the bead on better, so you can get away with lower pressures without burping. I like them so much that I now want the flow ex for my DH bike. That wider internal width and new bead hook should really make a difference compared to the old one.
Ya, I was running 2.35 DH high rollers on my old Arches and they were a bit odd when cornering unless you really slammed it into a corner on the edges. These should be a bit better, although I am on 2.3 butcher/purgatory control combo now for the Stumpy. Will probably put them on today and set them up tubeless and see how it goes.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
Ya, I was running 2.35 DH high rollers on my old Arches and they were a bit odd when cornering unless you really slammed it into a corner on the edges. These should be a bit better, although I am on 2.3 butcher/purgatory control combo now for the Stumpy. Will probably put them on today and set them up tubeless and see how it goes.
Ha, yeah I remember last year, I left my big tires on the old arches until the leaves fell. I was on my ass way before I got to the side knobs. That 2.3 butcher is a little smaller than what I am running, so I know for a fact that tire will rail on those rims.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Jeremy and Fraser,

On your EX rims, are you running UST beaded tires? I need to replace my (2nd this season) i23 rim soon. I was going to go back to the old Flows because I've read horror stories on empty beer of trying to mount UST tires onto EX rims. But I trust teh monkey more than the empty beer to set me straight on that....

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
Jeremy and Fraser,

On your EX rims, are you running UST beaded tires? I need to replace my (2nd this season) i23 rim soon. I was going to go back to the old Flows because I've read horror stories on empty beer of trying to mount UST tires onto EX rims. But I trust teh monkey more than the empty beer to set me straight on that....
The tires I run are not ust tires BUT they have a tubeless bead. All Michelin trail tires have it. I read the same $hit you did on MTBR and popped my tires on with my hands. :disgust1: Ha, the first set I put on were used, so I still wondered if it would be a problem with a new tire, but my new 2.25 tires went on just as easy. I don't know what to say, I honestly think MTBR has "plants" on there that make up stuff about perfectly good products. Either that or a gathering place for people who went full.....

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Jeremy and Fraser,

Not sure? I have Butcher and Purgatory 2bliss/Control tires from Specialized. You tell me??

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
excellent, thanks! I have a stock of Schwalbe, Michelin, WTB and Specialized tires, all 2bliss, UST, TL, or TCS (acronym soup anybody?!?!) that I'd like to use... now to figure out if I need flows or if the Arches are sufficient. I ran the old Arches for a season, no problems, but found them a bit narrow. Maybe the new ones will work out for me... I really wanted to like the WTB rims, but I've been through 3 this season (2 rear and one front), so I think that's put an end to that. Never had a problem with my Stans rims... (except for width).

Last edited: