Quantcast

New thirty + foot road gap at SS

JeffKill

Monkey
Jun 21, 2006
Charlotte, NC
oldskoolbiker said:
One thing I noticed about dhbuilders jumps while I was at Windrock, coming up short means death. Here is a pic of one gap. This particular one isn't that wide, maybe 10ft-15ft, but it just shows that his jumps require commitment.

http://www.dalenet.com/~delmar/mtb/windrock/4.jpg
Thats the creek gap at the bottom. Its nowhere near 10-15 feet, and its pretty much effortless to clear it. If you cant clear that little gap, or worry about it, you probably shouldnt even be riding at windrock.

oldskoolbiker

Monkey
Aug 19, 2005
Alexandria, VA
JeffKill said:
Thats the creek gap at the bottom. Its nowhere near 10-15 feet, and its pretty much effortless to clear it. If you cant clear that little gap, or worry about it, you probably shouldnt even be riding at windrock.
That jump is at least 10ft. There are plenty at Windrock that are bigger, this is just the only one I had a decent picture of that showed the gap. But you are right if a jump is built right it will be effortless. This one is, as are the bigger jumps at Windrock. I'm hoping the road gap at Snowshoe will be built as good as the jumps at Windrock.

My whole point is, the jump should be easy if you have the confidence to hit it. The jump at snowshoe seems to be more friendly to coming up short, so this may help some riders with their fear. The jumps at Windrock require commitment and don't allow for coming up short.

My post wasn't like "OMG look at the huge jump at Windrock". I was just trying to show the jump required commitment.

JeffKill

Monkey
Jun 21, 2006
Charlotte, NC
oldskoolbiker said:
My post wasn't like "OMG look at the huge jump at Windrock".

I didnt take it like that. And if you were to use the phrase "OMG" in any sentence, I would question whether you were a man or a 14 year old girl.:rofl:

ecbmxer

Chimp
Jul 18, 2006
Morgantown, West Virginia
And actually once they get the landing all setup and worked in, the top will be way less sharp so you probably would be OK even if you cased it then. I'd say hit it a couple times into the road and then just go for it!

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
dan wask said:
Uhhh, I'm not sure I'd say that. Plenty of play riding off track is done with super sketchy run ups and almost non existant landings. Ever seen a cliff jump ? I don't know if you understand just how much abuse motocross bikes can take.
that's right. you don't know.
i've been riding and racing moto and desert since the early 70's.
and mt. bike riding and racing since 85.
i think i fully understand the dynamics of what todays two wheeled wonders can withstand.
and i know how to design trails to fully utilize what they are capable of.
and i'm constantly build bigger and bolder to keep up with the ever increasing capability of what we can do with the machines we rip on.
and have the ability to build a jump etc.. so you can go small or big without compromising either desire.(small gaps but long landers etc...)

that being said.
there's no cliff jumping in organized motocross racing.
indoor or outdoor.
no jumps to flat.

there's quite a difference between racing and playriding.
there's quite a difference between downhilling racing and freeriding hucking.

i said what i said. and can back it up with product on the mountain.
some of ya'll spend half your online time micro dissecting others thoughts and words, pulling a sentence out of a post to play devils advocate.
just talkin to hear your head spin.

T-Pro

Monkey
Jun 13, 2005
Well... we test piloted the road gap yesterday. Here are a few pics.
We will probably be tweaking the thing into the weekend. You really had to work the ramp to gain the height desired for optimal radicality. This section is going to be incredibly fun though. The whole lead into it gap is nothing but berms, jumps, and speed.

additional pics should be on the site soon.
www.ride.snowshoemtn.com

BUCKET

Monkey
Apr 30, 2004
Rocktown, VA
T-Pro said:
Well... we test piloted the road gap yesterday. Here are a few pics.
We will probably be tweaking the thing into the weekend. You really had to work the ramp to gain the height desired for optimal radicality. This section is going to be incredibly fun though. The whole lead into it gap is nothing but berms, jumps, and speed.

additional pics should be on the site soon.
www.ride.snowshoemtn.com
Nice!!! Is that Stoney clearing the gap?! That's fvcking awesome!

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
My only complaint is that blue sky and sun. Thats not really a good sample of Snowshoe weather. I would feel so uncomfortable and out of sorts if it wasn't raining and cloudly.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
much better representation of what that's gonna be like.

i'm sure some folks nards are falling back down where they belong.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
JeffKill said:
All I know is come next friday, my nards are gonna be flying over that road gap!!

you better be on the gas man.
cause i'll be right behind you. :)

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
dan wask said:
Amen. On a side note dhb, was that directed at me ?
no biggie.
maybe next weekend we can hook up and haul some serious @$$ off that ramp and on down the rest of that kick@$$ mt.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
spoke80 said:
then you better be on the gas cause I'll be right behind you
holy crap.
that place may not be able to handle the massive fun sphere that's going to engulf the place !!!

Tattooo

Turbo Monkey
Jun 5, 2005
OV
Once I am not a gimp I will come up and reattempt a trip to the hospital off this. How hard will the fat need to be gunning to get over this little airborne bad time? Full metal roost, or can I drag my brakes all the way in and then half hop off of it?

ridetoofast

scarred, broken and drunk
Mar 31, 2002
crashing at a trail near you...
i cant remember who, but someone in the begining of this thead said you pretty much have to point and shoot, a good jump will do it for you. i couldnt agree more. i've done several jumps that fit that very category, i.e. point/shoot/hold on. there is a 20' gap behind william and mary that i've hit with dink and that was off a lip no taller than 18" (dink was hitting speeds of 28mph on his 'puter) i didnt have one, but weigh even more than he does so i am ASSuming i was going as fast or faster), so i'm certain that 30' is COMPLETELY doable, you just have to be confident and hit it with authority. (for the cynics there is video of said gap floating around).

my $0.02...

CHOP

Monkey
Aug 20, 2003
Rivermont, Va
I rode the race course yesterday, but not the road gap. It was blocked off and it isn't like I was going to hit it anyways. Stoney and Kalan both told me that they are going to do some tweaking to the take off because it did require a lot of pop to clear it. They were suppose to work on it yesterday evening, but not sure if they did. As fas as run up goes, it is a straight shot for about 35-45 yards.

JeffD

Monkey
Mar 23, 2002
Macon, GA
CHOP said:
I rode the race course yesterday, but not the road gap. It was blocked off and it isn't like I was going to hit it anyways. Stoney and Kalan both told me that they are going to do some tweaking to the take off because it did require a lot of pop to clear it. They were suppose to work on it yesterday evening, but not sure if they did. As fas as run up goes, it is a straight shot for about 35-45 yards.
How 'bout the Cliff's Notes on the rest of the course?

CHOP

Monkey
Aug 20, 2003
Rivermont, Va
JeffD said:
How 'bout the Cliff's Notes on the rest of the course?
Sport course gate start. Go down hill to the right, once you get to the big left hander you stay straight. Jump up (new jump) onto the slope, go through a series of berms that lead to the road gap. Land or go around the gap into a big flat left handed turn and then back into the woods into a new section that runs beside the sport course. Pick up the sport course and follow until you hit Ball n Jack. Take Ball N Jack down until about 50 yards from the next road crossing. Here you go up on the bank to the right and then shoot back across the trail and down to the road. This is all new. Instead of taking a right, which is what you would do to follow the Sport course (Sweet Dreams), you take a left which dumps you onto a ski slope (same slope that the bottom section of Quick Draw dumps you on). Hit a series of 4 (I believe) jumps and then back into the woods on the right, which I believe is the original pro course bottom section. After this woods section back onto the slope to the finish line. Hope this helps