Quantcast

New Whip? New toys for the dependable steed?

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
I just installed a pair of 4.5" Bontrager Gnarwhals and fitted 432 45NRTH concave studs on those bad boys and they fucking tear the ice. Now installing 98g Ridenow tpu tubes to save 480g per wheel. It should make quite a difference.

Just in time for the spring melt :panic: We've (totally abnormally) only had snow from mid-January to this week. I guess with all the +5-10C weather and rain planned, everything should melt pretty quick here. Happy for an early mtb season start though!
I tried fatbiking for the first time ever last weekend. I went to E47. It was a lot of fun, but different than my expectations. I was quite surprised by how slow rolling it was considering the optimal conditions. I also found the rental to be a bit overgeared for my taste. That being said, I was pleasantly surprised by the seemingly infinite grip with the studded tired and how good the bike felt on the steep slabs. I was expecting the unridabru 69deg head angle and no suspension to lead to a sketchy ride, but the downhills were really quite amazing.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I just installed a pair of 4.5" Bontrager Gnarwhals and fitted 432 45NRTH concave studs on those bad boys and they fucking tear the ice. Now installing 98g Ridenow tpu tubes to save 480g per wheel. It should make quite a difference.

Just in time for the spring melt :panic: We've (totally abnormally) only had snow from mid-January to this week. I guess with all the +5-10C weather and rain planned, everything should melt pretty quick here. Happy for an early mtb season start though!
Did those tubes work?

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Yes tubes. For those of us who don't use a fat bike for 6 months of year in the arctic.

Ain't nobody got time for dealing with sealant in freezing temps. Well, I don't anyways.. :D

konifere

Monkey
Dec 20, 2021
Going to install them in a few minutes and will go for a ride tomorrow morning, but the one I inflated kept its air, so that's a good start.

At 98g, it's lighter than sealant and I don't feel like fucking around with a gooey substance in the winter if something happens with my tire. Call me old school, but my fat bike is meant to be the simplest, most reliable and maintenance-free as I can get it. So no suspension, tubes and cable disc brakes. I couldn't do without a dropper though, saved my nuts a few times when stepping into trail-side powder.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Oliver's YES Tubes™ will make you happy!

Are you always fixing your "bullet proof" No Tubes tires like this poor sap while your buddies wait impatiently?

Bicycle wheel Floor Flooring Chair Picture frame

Are you tired and frustrated breaking levers and gouging your rims trying to pry on and off tires that fit on your rims tighter than your pant size from Jr. High School?
Tire Bicycle tire Wheel Automotive tire Bicycle wheel rim

Are you sick of "No Tubes boogers" rattling around in your tires?
Bicycle wheel rim Rim Invertebrate Spoke Automotive tire

Do you despise the thick film of latex that builds up and is impossible to remove from your tires?
Natural material Burmese python Synthetic rubber Python Snake

Have you been riding with folks using No Tubes and had to endure getting yourself, your gloves, and anything within ten yards coated in latex spooge from these No Tubes tires?
Bicycle frame Tire Bicycle wheel Wheel Mountain bike

Are you unwilling to carry a compressor with you on rides to re-seat the bead on these No tubes tires?
Are you shell-shocked from filling up your tires and waiting for the random "gunshot" noise when it pops into place?

Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle tire Hardwood Wood stain Auto part

Do you have better things to do than sit around and tape your rims all day, hoping that they will seal?
Automotive tire Bicycle wheel rim Rim Synthetic rubber Tread

Are you sick of aluminum nipples corroding and breaking due to ammonia in the sealant?
Silver

Are you just plain tired of being an evangelist for a miraculous system that fails constantly?
SALVATION
is at hand with Oliver's Yes Tubes™ system!

Oliver's Yes Tubes™, in a nutshell:
Product Audio equipment Technology Cable Wire

Oliver's Yes Tubes™ Hop-Up Kit includes:
• Two fully enclosed rubber tire filling devices with integrated valve stems (no need for "special" rimstrips!)
• Detailed installation instructions.
• Easy do-it-yourself installation, without having to use an air compressor.

Oliver's Yes Tubes™ Hop-Up Kit does not include:
Noxious latex spooge, "special" rimstrips, and most importantly it doesn't include hours upon hours of headaches and delays for your riding buddies.

NEW PRODUCTS AVAILABLE NOW!
The same folks that originally brought you Yes Tubes now offer some exciting new products:

The Tricycle Hop Up kit.
Yes Tubes Emergency repair kit Innovative Easy-does-it repair kit fixes Yes Tubes, without the spooginess!

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: What rim/tire combinations do Oliver's Yes Tubes™ work with?
A: One of the benefits of Oliver's Yes Tubes™ system is that it is compatible with all rim/wheel combinations.

Q: How much weight do you save using Oliver's Yes Tubes™?
A: That varies by application, but in our experience the wait savings would have been many minutes, if not hours, if our riding buddies had been using Oliver's Yes Tubes™ system.

Q: Do Oliver's Yes Tubes™ work on Road bikes or Cross bikes?
A: YES! After years of testing, Oliver's Yes Tubes™ are finally available for 700c rims. At the same low price as Oliver's Yes Tubes™ for MTBs!

Q: Will other riders know that I'm not using No Tubes?
A: No, this product is completely stealthy and your advantage will be completely hidden, much like a motor in the seat tube.

Q: I don't see this coming on new bikes, how can it be any good?
A: As you've noticed, manufacturers keep changing standards to keep making money. This works will all standards, so they wouldn't be able to sell you new rims and tires all the time.

Ah yes, the testimonials.

Here are the words of some folks who have seen the Yes Tubes light (some names have been changed to protect them from reprisals from the No Tubes cartel).

"OK, OK. I hate to say it but I've been a victim of Stan's now too. They're great while they hold air, but as soon as that bubble bursts (pun intended) it's a serious PIA (yes, I said serious too - and I don't really like to be serious)."

"The handling at lower pressure was nice, but then when the pressure gets down around zero the handling really goes downhill (or doesn't when you wish it would). [Matt, somewhere in Colorado]"

"This is great. I HAVE been living in Stan's 'no-tubes hell' -- cost me 30 minutes on my lap time, and a brand new tire at SnowShoe 3 weeks ago."

"So I shelled out the 65 bucks and got myself a kit and installed it and have been having nothing but problems with it since then. I hate no-tubes. I'll never race with them again after my suck-ass laps at SnowShoe" ["ERX" location unknown]"

"I f'ing hate No Tubes. They could be more aptly marketed as: You're a Tube, No Air, Need More Air, More Pump or Pump 'a Chump, etc. I specifically removed them before my FFTF trip so that I did not have to bear the pain Jed so well evidenced. Flatted but once."

"I spent $60 on the kit with s/h, an hour of my time drilling, soaping, installing kit and 5 minutes ripping it all apart and putting my Salsa "light" tubes back in. Oh yeah, I dropped another $125 on a (crappy) compressor at Home Depot just to install them. I may just wrap a piece of poo in my worthless rim strips, light on fire and ding-dong-ditch Senor Stan when next in his environs." [Sean, currently in witness protection program due to his Stan's comments] NOTE: these "Salsa" things he refers to are cheap knock-offs of Oliver's Yes Tubes™.

konifere

Monkey
Dec 20, 2021
You could always invent the "dropper lever indicator" so that people could know where their seat is without looking if they're not sure.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
The most hideous wheels since my white rims with piss yellow hub combo will be assembled.
I some CX-Sprint spokes, the reduced drag will make my bike e-bike fast so I got an e-bike chain.
PXL_20240304_090813562~2.jpg

Still waiting for a reply from TRP so I can buy stuff.
Anyone live near TRP HQ? Wanna grab me a mech, shifter then sent it to Oz? Hahaha!

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
The most hideous wheels since my white rims with piss yellow hub combo will be assembled.
I some CX-Sprint spokes, the reduced drag will make my bike e-bike fast so I got an e-bike chain.
View attachment 208571
Still waiting for a reply from TRP so I can buy stuff.
Anyone live near TRP HQ? Wanna grab me a mech, shifter then sent it to Oz? Hahaha!
You and @Sandwich should get a collabo together and offer a signature line of artisanaly curated bikes with a dog's breakfast of components.