Quantcast

New Whip? New toys for the dependable steed?

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Ha yeah, they could have have steepened this one a bit but I am guessing they didn't want to mess w/ the front molds on the new version, only the rear. The STA could be a bit steeper but from my first ride up the street I am totally cool w/ it (street test runs all)...Seems like the exact bike I needed. I just need to get this eleven six mounted up for Whistler!

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
holy crap, you found one. Awesome! How much did you have to pay?

Yeah I had trouble getting the saddle where I wanted it for good climbing position. I figured it out, but it wasn't easy.
I did, worked out some trade w an old Mr. T I had w a guy in Germany. I think I paid $400 total, was a deal imo. Rebuilt it and it rides the shelf in my basement great, look at it every time I walk down the steps haha.

As for the new Evil, I just finished building it today. I am not too worried about the angle since I ride w my saddle pretty nose down. I’ve ridden a buddies insurgent a few times before getting mine and loved it. This guy is pretty light also, 28lbs...What was your solution?

roflbox

roflborx
Jan 23, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Drool. Do you have the fork at 140 or 160 mm? The Auron will probably my next fork because of the price and ease of service.
160, 150 on the MT.

Here is the full buildout:
Auron RC2 PCS @160mm
Shimano 11-42 cassette, slx m7000 brakes
Box Two rear derailleur and shifter
Brand x dropper
Dt swiss XM481s laced to 350 hubs
raceface bars, cranks, stem, grips
Maxxis DHF / Aggressor in 2.5WT
WTB Volt saddle

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Kona.jpg

Kona02.jpg

My main bike for 2018.
'18 Kona Process 153 CR, shock changed from the utterly shite Deluxe RT to a DPX2 62.5mm (vs stock 60mm) to bump travel to 160mm
Lyrik with Luftkappe and travel bumped to 170mm. Also -1º angleset giving something like 64.5ish HA (stock is 66 with 160mm fork)
Hope Pro4 hubs on unrideable 25mm internal DT EX471 rims
XT cranks, 30T ring, 11-46 XT cluster, GX mech, XO1 shifter, XTR chain, OneUp guide - no issues so far
Hope V4 brakes, 203mm rotors
DHR2 DD rear tyre 2.3", Supergravity Ultra Soft Magic Mary front 2.3"
Revive post, Joystick saddle (going back to Chromag soon), Chromag OSX 35 bars (want higher rise but love the sweep) 50mm RF stem, DMR Vault pedals, ODI Pro grips

So far has survived Trans NZ and Trans BC multi-day enduros, Whistler EWS challenger enduro, plus park laps and trails in Squamish, Pemby, etc. Has needed one tyre plug in those events and thats it. Now I'm back in Australia, it needs some general maintenance and whatnot but it has really been a super robust build, that has survived some pretty nasty conditions and crashes without any hiccups.

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
IMG_4575.JPG
IMG_4576.JPG
New One Up post for the trail bike. Not 100% sold on their remote, but it's better than some. Give it a few rides and see. Otherwise: one ride so far, and it works beautifully. Dead easy to adjust - stroke adjusted to 140mm to get the lower actuator bits to clear the pivot bits in the seat-tube.

So the Reverb went on the DH bike. Sure, why not? Have it topped out about an inch lower than what I'd want to be "full pedal height" and at bottom is about an inch lower than I run the static post height. If I actually end up using the thing, I'll see about running it internal with the other lines.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
View attachment 130175 View attachment 130176 ...So the Reverb went on the DH bike. Sure, why not? Have it topped out about an inch lower than what I'd want to be "full pedal height" and at bottom is about an inch lower than I run the static post height. If I actually end up using the thing, I'll see about running it internal with the other lines.
Hey, I have thought the exact same thing.
When I get a new dropper post, the Reverb (First run, first generation, no problems, still going strong, and now jinxed) will go on the DH bike. I use the quick release every ride. Knolly with a full length seat tube FTW. The trails are spread out over 1.5km from the lift, with of course a couple of good trails at the far end. Off the lift, saddle goes up, and I pedal across to the other side, saddle goes down, and the fun ensues. Sure people give me the NelsonMuntz, but I'm no fashion victim - I like my knees.

Bring on the dropper dh bike.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
X-post from the pics thread. Installed new saddle today, a short ass SDG Fly. So far so good, is light and feels comfy and the short length only feels odd when sitting on the seat dropped, which is a non-issue.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
X-post from the pics thread. Installed new saddle today, a short ass SDG Fly. So far so good, is light and feels comfy and the short length only feels odd when sitting on the seat dropped, which is a non-issue.

i’ve liked my bel air...it’s lasted forever but it now starting to come apart. was considering another sdg or mebbe a fabric...

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
i’ve liked my bel air...it’s lasted forever but it now starting to come apart. was considering another sdg or mebbe a fabric...
My LBS was doing a try before you buy thing on Fabric seats and I'm glad they did because if I bought the Cell Radius Elite I would have just thrown it in the bin, what a piece of shit. Maybe I am just far too fat for it but the centre flexes so much that it just puts load forward on to whatever a male taint is called, the grippy top was annoying too. My old man agreed that it was an uncomfortable piece of shit, he's on a Chromag Trailmaster LTD now and likes that.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
160, 150 on the MT.

Here is the full buildout:
Auron RC2 PCS @160mm
Shimano 11-42 cassette, slx m7000 brakes
Box Two rear derailleur and shifter
Brand x dropper
Dt swiss XM481s laced to 350 hubs
raceface bars, cranks, stem, grips