Quantcast

New Whip? New toys for the dependable steed?

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Sorry, I was driving. It is a large Optic. I am 5'10 and I have always ridden medium bikes with a 50mm stem.
There was always something about large size frames with slack seat angles. By the time I had the seat high enough,
I was stretched out off the back. I am riding the Optic with a 40mm stem, and it fits great. It has a long wheelbase and is stable at speed, but is also easy to get off the ground and throw around. I am gonna get in trouble on this joker though, because it is easy to ride real fast, but still only has 125mm in the back. But yeah it is a party bike for sure.
Also, since this was the only color I could get in frame only from Norco. I just figured, if ya gotta rock a bright purple frame, you might as well go all out.

captainspauldin

intrigued by a pole
May 14, 2007
Jersey Shore
I’m all about riding slow and posting pictures of scale weights on the intertubez. Have a wild endurbro rear waiting to go on, I struggled enough with an inside funnoodle to not want to take it off again anytime soon. I probably need the CushCore buttplug... er, tire lever according to cushcore. Should probably just go back to non-carpetfiber rims and avoid the issue entirely. Actually pretty impressed with the front tire but I’m old and slow so don’t listen to me.
Went full on dentist mode on the wheels with the bass boat sparkle onyx hubz.
Dannnng look at that FLAKE

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
how long until someone starts making "oil slick" stanchions?

I'll wait.
I believe Blonde Bikes will still do purple, they may have a different trading name now.

Run your seals into the ground long enough and you can have that feature for free.
I have two tone stanchions because I neglected my Durolux for a year, replaced it with a Z1, realized I'd made a huge mistake and the Z1 is just wasting space in the garage coz I couldn't sell it, not sure why.
Z1.png

Last edited:

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
I am riding the Optic with a 40mm stem...
Sorry dude, that bike is gonna be unridable and you'll probably forget how to corner. I'm a shade taller than you so you may as well give it to me so I can slap a 50mm stem on there and actually enjoy it. :busted:

Sick bike man -- my trail pistol is pretty similar in many respects and it has been an absolute hoot to ride around here. Enjoy!!

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Sorry dude, that bike is gonna be unridable and you'll probably forget how to corner. I'm a shade taller than you so you may as well give it to me so I can slap a 50mm stem on there and actually enjoy it. :busted:

Sick bike man -- my trail pistol is pretty similar in many respects and it has been an absolute hoot to ride around here. Enjoy!!
Ha, I ride with a 50mm in my pocket and install it for corners! Yeah man, my favorites bikes have always been bikes that I can ride on all the rolling hill trails, and still take to Pisgah and feel good, and this joker checks all the boxes.

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
$25 for this.

20200512_171413.jpg

Seems like a Magic Mary/Wild Rockr2 mix. Slightly narrower than the MM it replaced. have a couple of those on the way as well but figured for the price I would give this thing a try. No ride time yet. Mounted up and sealed quite easily. Will get some rides in the next few days and see how it feels. Much more squared-off seeming.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
Ha, I ride with a 50mm in my pocket and install it for corners! Yeah man, my favorites bikes have always been bikes that I can ride on all the rolling hill trails, and still take to Pisgah and feel good, and this joker checks all the boxes.
heck man, i'm just surprised you haven't gotten run straight outta SC for having that purdy purple thing yet!

Feb 21, 2020
SoCo Western Slope
What did vorsprung do to your super deluxe? Have you had any problems with the OMG-Trunnion?
Vorsprung Tractive Tune; new piston, revalve, IFP parts, etc.
It is the most basic Super Deluxe, with just rebound and climb lever for adjustments. I couldn't get it feeling that great just playing with air pressure, and the "climb" position was only good for roadie sprints.

Haven't done much riding yet, but first impressions are good. Lower air pressure, more sensitivity, but stays higher in stroke and doesn't squirrel out in g-out type stuff. Rebound range seems much more usable.

No trunnion problems yet, but damn is that a rigid way to mount a shock. Frame alignment better be spot on.

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
Damn!
Forgot about this thread until after I'd made a new thread.
Not DH or freeride but I still think it's going to be sick as!

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
$25 for this.

View attachment 145036

Seems like a Magic Mary/Wild Rockr2 mix. Slightly narrower than the MM it replaced. have a couple of those on the way as well but figured for the price I would give this thing a try. No ride time yet. Mounted up and sealed quite easily. Will get some rides in the next few days and see how it feels. Much more squared-off seeming.
while i personally don't care for skinwall tires, that is a screamin' deal.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
Old was a ’14 Cannondale Trigger with a lefty. Not only was if full of proprietary crap, and had old school ‘racer’ geometry, it was a size to big for her.
this is a ‘20 Rocky Mountain Thunderbolt (140/140) in an XS (she is a hair under 5’). its getting hard to find good XS bikes for her size without them being the kids bikes these days...
this bike is about 4 or 5 pounds heavier, but so far she is faster on it up and down. It’s gonna go on a diet...

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2020
SoCo Western Slope
Phase 1 is complete with some Whistler-neering! Super happy so far.

For the Smashpot I went with a 45# spring in front. Should have gone 50# for my current weight, but the bottom out circuit is so good it makes it work. Rides a little low in the travel, but still higher than the Debonair was. I had a 36 coil and loved it except for how easy it would give up the last few inches of travel when you really didn't want it to. Even with a too-soft spring, this Smashed Lyric is damn near perfect. The hydra bottom out control works great, and is very adjustable.

For those that have spent some time at campus, I was doing laps on Chupa Cabra and it felt like a sidewalk. I often take a break at the bottom for the hands, not needed now.

The bike is getting stoopid, it wants to take the straightest line whether the trail goes that way or not. The faster you go, the more controlled it gets. Yelling in the woods type stuff.

vor1.jpg

vor2.jpg

Loki87

Monkey
Aug 24, 2008
Salzburg, Austria
That fork is just so damn sexy. I don´t even know if it works well, but it surely is one of the best looking single crowns ever in my opinion.
You should get that chainstay painted in the same colour as the fork.

Feb 21, 2020
SoCo Western Slope
That would look pretty killer!
As for Metric fork, it is pretty awesome. Not light, but plenty burly and quite plush.

Only drawback can be coil negative spring. It doesn't play so well with lower air pressures and lighter rider weights, sucks down into travel.

chris_f

Monkey
Jun 20, 2007
Not a new upgrade but an old one. Admitted to myself that people on here were right about the DHX2 and put the old (thick shaft, sadly) shock back on. Instantly felt better. Ah well, sold the DHX2 for more than I paid for it so not too shabby.

Salami

Turbo Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Waxhaw, NC
Got some Magura Trail Sports for the crabon bike. They feel noticeably different than the Shimano I had. So far I am digging them even though I only have one very muddy ride on them.

IMG_20200524_155903.jpg
IMG_20200524_161757.jpg
IMG_20200524_160154.jpg
IMG_20200524_161613__01.jpg

Last edited:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
My old Thule T2 was ugly, heavy and blocked my backup camera so I was removing it when not used. In addition new bikes are so big the wheels stuck out a good foot either side of the car. This killed fuel mileage an kind of sucked for some of the super narrow streets I drive. So I fabed up a single fork mount out of some shit laying around in the basement.

EDIT: just noticed my plates had expired, this has been corrected thanks to Washington's online DMV system.

Last edited: