Quantcast

New Whip? New toys for the dependable steed?

captainspauldin

intrigued by a pole
May 14, 2007
Jersey Shore
Tasty build right there, nice one! :rockout: How's it ride?
keen to hear what you think.
It's been great so far. Large part of my decision to go with the Druid was long chainstays. I really liked how the GG rode in Gnarvana mode with the longer stays vs the Pistol(a) mode w/the shorter stays, but riding around my local trails w/160mm was def. overkill. I instantly felt better/more centered(duh) off jumps with the Druid. It gobbles up rough terrain just as you would expect. Took me some time to get my timing re-calibrated to pop off trail features and be less of a passenger on the bike when going fast. Yeah, it's not a super active bike, but when you get used to it and dial in the shock settings it's still relatively easy to move around. That being said I didn't realize how sensitive this bike is to shocks (it might just be me?). I could not for the life of me get the Kitsuma Air to work as good as the Ohlins TTX2(I think) air that it came with. Just recently swapped over the Bomber CR Coil (had it rebuilt and re-tuned for the Druid before swapping) to play with that, still have to dial it and then I'll decide if I like it better than the Ohlins (I can say it's def. better than the Kitsuma). I am able to get full travel with the coil vs the Ohlins which I have yet to get full travel even with it under-inflated for a bit (bad shock pump), seems like all that progression at the end of the stroke built into the linkage will slightly(talking like 2-3mm of stroke) limit your travel with an air shock. Yeah drag is noticeable, shifting was kinda shitty with the stock e13 guide, much better with the MRP guide. I did break a chain link by hulk pedaling in way too hard of a gear uphill. Haven't really had issues with dropping chains. OK that's enough run-on sentences/paragraph for one day

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
Agreed. I haven’t run into a Grizzly while riding here in 26 years, but with the success of the Grizzly protection, they are basically in our entire trail area. Huge change. It’s really a matter of time until I do, I have started carrying bear spray more and more.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Agreed. I haven’t run into a Grizzly while riding here in 26 years, but with the success of the Grizzly protection, they are basically in our entire trail area. Huge change. It’s really a matter of time until I do, I have started carrying bear spray more and more.
That is reason #1 I don't live in Helena right now. I've got a job there waiting for me if I want it.

I spend way too much time alone in the woods by myself. Those things skurrr me. I've seen 3 out in the woods in my life....all in montana, and nowhere near jellystone.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
That is reason #1 I don't live in Helena right now. I've got a job there waiting for me if I want it.

I spend way too much time alone in the woods by myself. Those things skurrr me. I've seen 3 out in the woods in my life....all in montana, and nowhere near jellystone.
Me too. I like trambling around in the woods, off trail, and usually alone for hours. And usually at dusk. it gets…spooky.

Last edited:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
So are we talking about a 700lb Jellystone bear or did you change that goalpost? But the heaviest typical bull moose is more like 1500. Dangerous as F. Got charged by a small one just a week ago and F-me, you can't get out of the way fast on those goddam hok skis.
I'm just reminding the world of the biological horror show that is alaska. It's like the australia of america.

I know meeses are dangerous. Not gonna eat you though.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
View attachment 204437

This was one that didn't care one bit about us...

The three I've seen in the extra-park environment were the same. One in particular had been staring at me for god knows how long before I saw it.....like 40 ft away from me. And I had food in my hand.

It's just when they decide they do care that gets me. Because sometimes they do.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
If you wake one up, find one eating, or find yourself around cubs - your basically toast. Also, every YNP bear attack has been groups of 1 or 2 - no party of 3 or more has ever been attacked.

Bison are scary but not really out in nature. The moose though are thick in places and they are stubborn as it gets.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
A couple of friends of mine were on a night ride and came across a deer that was down in the middle of the trail, bit on the neck and bleeding out but not dead yet. They didn't see the mountain lion but it had to have been right there. I'm glad I missed that one.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
A couple of friends of mine were on a night ride and came across a deer that was down in the middle of the trail, bit on the neck and bleeding out but not dead yet. They didn't see the mountain lion but it had to have been right there. I'm glad I missed that one.
Woo may be on to something....

1701488262130.gif

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
We consistently run into howling monkeys and a couple of red foxes in our evening rides down here. They seem to have a pretty consistent schedule, which is crazy, because every Saturday at 6.30 PM the foxes would be at the same spot in the trail.

However, my scariest run into had to be that time this past winter, sunset time, when a 400 kg wild boar jumped into the trail in front of me and just led me for like 50-60 meters, maybe 5-6 meters ahead of me, before it could find an opening in the dense bushes to run away. I immediately ran into a bunch of 10-15 trail runners who were doing the trail in the opposite way, and all I could think of was the boar bashing into them hadn't it found that opening.

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
If you wake one up, find one eating, or find yourself around cubs - your basically toast. Also, every YNP bear attack has been groups of 1 or 2 - no party of 3 or more has ever been attacked.

Bison are scary but not really out in nature. The moose though are thick in places and they are stubborn as it gets.
Over the years have seen three mountain lions, several bear, and one moose.
The moose was more terrifying by far. Huge and very close. I kept slow and quiet while getting sime distance.

schwaaa31

Turbo Monkey
Jul 30, 2002
Clinton Massachusetts
I see a lot of moose snowmobiling in northern Maine. They use the trails to move around when the snow is too deep. Only been charged once. Luckily she got within about ten feet and stopped and darted into the woods. Scary as fuck.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
I saw a potential Darwin Award contestant try to walk up and pet a black bear in Whistler. Home boy got about 10 feet from the bear with his hand out and the thing turned around, stared at him and stood up. Dude decided to back the fvck off.

Last edited: