Quantcast

***New Years Eve GMT***

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
If you really want to hit all the goods in that area and demoralize your friends with a masochistic amount of climbing then give this loop a try. It took me seven hours, including stops, in warm weather.

Park at Horse Stables.
Up Clawhammer.
L on Black.
L on Avery.
R on 477, ride past Bennet Gap and continue on 477.
R on Club Gap.
R on Buckwheat Knob.
Cross 477 onto Bennet Gap.
L on 477 back to Horse Stables.
What about coming down Black?

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
What about coming down Black?
The section of Black to Avery is pretty fun. But has some climbing.

A lot of riders hit Black by turning off Clawhammer on Maxwell Cove (5098) to Pressley Gap to ride middle and lower Black. So you could tack that onto the end if you still have some steam left. Start early and take lights...

I see doing Black from the left with all the hike-a-bike as the only thing I'm going to ride that day. Sooo much hiking...

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
The section of Black to Avery is pretty fun. But has some climbing.

A lot of riders hit Black by turning off Clawhammer on Maxwell Cove (5098) to Pressley Gap to ride middle and lower Black. So you could tack that onto the end if you still have some steam left. Start early and take lights...

I see doing Black from the left with all the hike-a-bike as the only thing I'm going to ride that day. Sooo much hiking...

But then you miss the top of Black, which is the best part..

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
i enjoyed clawhammer to maxwell, left on black, then ride over all the way across the ridge, which will spill you right into the beginning of bennett, then down bennett - there are fun descents on the back of black and the way over to bemnett. and then BENNETT

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Weather turned cold and the temp on my Garmin dropped to 5Freedums and was still dropping and playing catchup as we got home so I'm not sure what it would have bottomed out at other than facking cold.
Such weird weather. It was about 10 degrees colder in Golden than at Loveland... but the wind at the latter made up for that handily.

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
i enjoyed clawhammer to maxwell, left on black, then ride over all the way across the ridge, which will spill you right into the beginning of bennett, then down bennett - there are fun descents on the back of black and the way over to bemnett. and then BENNETT
So you try to ride down the hike-a-bike section on Black ? Some of those switchbacks look like death on a cracker.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
Local rider ate shit in one of the local parks (Briones) Sheriffs helo flew him from the trail to an ambulance where they took him to John Muir Trauma center with a major head injury and multiple broken bones

rescue video from the Starr 1 helo

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Gunna ride up above the city to be way high above and overlooking at midnight. Seeing if I can get some fools to come with me. We'll watch shit blow up (people lighting off all the illegal fireworks), drink some whiskey or something.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I hate when folks bring their friends to the Bongshed. I make a point of excluding bongshed members friends when the bongshed member is not present.... She ate 4 pieces of pizza before I told her to leave... I snatched the 5th piece out of her hand, otherwise I suspect she would have finished it off...

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
Finished off 2017 in high fashion. Had crap loads of projects to get done, finally said FTS and took the road bike out for a one hour all out effort before dark. Helmet straps were coated in a nice while layer of salt crust post ride. Salmon Stir fry for dinner. I would stay up late but I have a 5:30 am first pick up tomorrow, have to get those folks to dialysis on time.

year was good

Rode my bikes over 800 miles plus another 50 hours on the wind trainer, and according to my fit bit

Yearly Totals
  • 5,711,649 steps
  • 11809 floors
  • 2,665.55 miles
  • 1,345,882 calories
Plus I went backpacking and Summited Round Top peak at 10,381'

should be interesting to see how I do at age 61 this year

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Dinner, drinks and a show with a rather nice lady last night. Had a genuinely good time. She called me this morning to see if I was interested in a hike then went on an hour long rant about her emotional entanglement with some married dude in Amsterdam.

Needless to say my injured foot flared up and there is no hike in my near future.
Bullet = dodged

pizza diavola

Monkey
Dec 3, 2013
Happy new year EST monkeys! Three more hours of 2017 still to go for me. I will see 2018 in the morning, I'm going to bed.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Yeah... so that's like 4 miles from me. And while HR is the sheltered yuppie land of Denver-metro, that apartment complex is only kind of HR. They are pretty much the only residential north of the highway still in the county or city. Kind of the red-headed step-child of our city.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
It’s going to be a cold day at Loveland with @stoney and @Nick. @Full Trucker : join the 15 degree, 45 mph wind fun? :D
How was it? I was in a hut in the woods at 11,600’ or so. It was nice up there, garbage snow but we made up for it with the party and digging out the summer fire pit and having an outdoor fire. Lady friend had an awesome time, it was her first hit trip. We did have to glue one stupid drunk guy’s head back together after he ate shot trying to get out of bed. Good times.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
How was it? I was in a hut in the woods at 11,600’ or so. It was nice up there, garbage snow but we made up for it with the party and digging out the summer fire pit and having an outdoor fire. Lady friend had an awesome time, it was her first hit trip. We did have to glue one stupid drunk guy’s head back together after he ate shot trying to get out of bed. Good times.
We mostly ripped down groomers since the snow wasn’t great. Flat light and windy... yet a good time nonetheless.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Haapy Death of 2017 !!

It's so cold here there were only a few volleys of celebratory gunfire to be heard downtown.

Climate change = gun control, who knew ?
Jesus, I stopped at 11:57 on my ride last night high above the city here in Alaska and it was like WWIII when the clock struck midnight. To be honest, shit was blowing up during my entire ride, but it reached a steady rumble at 12 and was impressive to hear (fireworks are illegal here too). It was rather warm, in the 20 F range, pretty much Florida temps for us. The fireworks were cool to see, at least 3-4 legit displays and then all sorts of illegal ones shooting up like anti-aircraft fire.

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
Jesus, I stopped at 11:57 on my ride last night high above the city here in Alaska and it was like WWIII when the clock struck midnight. To be honest, shit was blowing up during my entire ride, but it reached a steady rumble at 12 and was impressive to hear (fireworks are illegal here too). It was rather warm, in the 20 F range, pretty much Florida temps for us. The fireworks were cool to see, at least 3-4 legit displays and then all sorts of illegal ones shooting up like anti-aircraft fire.
People here are the biggest babies when it comes to weather. Even the slightest threat of rain is enough to keep a good percentage of them at home.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
People here are the biggest babies when it comes to weather. Even the slightest threat of rain is enough to keep a good percentage of them at home.
Well, I do hate the rain, I'll ride all day in the snow because even if it's a freaking blizzard, I can stay dry. I do eventually get fed up and say F-it and then ride an run in the rain, but it's usually a last resort to keep sane. Seattle drizzle isn't nearly as bad, but full on rain? I'd rather it be 5 degrees and clear.

But all that's ok, because right now we are having more freezing rain (Thanks Obama :( ), so it's like the worst of every world.