Quantcast

NHL playoffs...

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Gonna be a good 'un tonight between the Dead Things and Stars. Stars should call the Blackhawks for some advise on how to beat the Wings, after all, they did take the season series from them...

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Stars are done...guess I gotta root for the Pens against the Wings. Wings are sick deep, its just a question of which one of them is going to get you...

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Man the Red Wings look tough. I think they have the skill and experience throughout their lineup to take it all home. The Pens might be a couple of years too young - and they've still got some work left ahead of them vs the Flyers.

Why is it that I'm having trouble embracing the Red Wings? Maybe they are too good and that's why I don't want them to win it all??? Dunno.

John P.

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Golden, CO
I love how everyone's so surprised that the Wings are killing it in the playoffs. Apparently, none of you watched the regular season.

With the exception of the month of March (when Lidstrom went out with an injury) the Wings have simply existed on a different level than any other team in the league. Sure, a few wannabes (Blacksucks, etc.) can claim a season winning percentages against Detroit, but no one came close to showing the night-in-night-out domination of the Red Wings from game 1 of the season.

--JP

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Name the last Presidents Trophy winner to take the Cup? Its been awhile...regular season success means little in the playoffs. Ask the Sabres and Sens.
The Wings have played alot of games in the past few years, they are old(er) and have not shown the killer instinct under Babcock that they had under Bowman. They have been riding one or two ponies all year. Hasek was the man for awhile, then Datsyuk and Zetterberg came on. But in the playoffs Osgood has stepped in, and along with Franzen (Even with missing the last two games) others have become the studs. They look strong, and at the right time.

But, dont forget that even if they won 10 Cups in a row, the Wangs STILL SUCK...

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Maybe that's why I don't want them to win - they've been so good for so long.

Lidstrom should get MVP honors every year. He's what makes the Red Wings Tick. When he was out for that one month stretch they were mere mortals. With him in the lineup - they become superstars.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Well I was a fan of the Red Wings in the 80's and into the 90's when they had a losing record damn near every year and either missed the playoffs or got bounced early. The last 10 years though have been great and I'm enjoying it. :thumb: Much like the Red Sox recently...

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
IAB, dont even start talking baseball in here...I am still waiting for the Cubs decade to take hold.
Blackhawks/Wings is still a great rivalry and has been for years. You will forgive me if I root for the Wings in the final...if they survive the next 60 miutes v. the Stars. Maybe if they win it this year, Cheli will finally call it a career.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
6 of 20...boy thats a great percentage. Wings have won the PT 5 times (6 including this year...) and taken the Cup twice...no guarantees...

They are still scary deep.

tonyhawk

bikerag.com whore
Sep 21, 2003
CT
Why is it that I'm having trouble embracing the Red Wings? Maybe they are too good and that's why I don't want them to win it all??? Dunno.
It's the Wings' fans that I don't like :biggrin: You gotta respect Datsyuk, Zetterberg and Lidstrom, and it's hard not to like Holmstrom.

No way the Stars will come back, and I don't think the Pens or Flyers standa chance against the Wings. I just hope somebody breaks the win streak before it gets to 11. Osgood is a decent netminder, but I don't wanna see him tie Roy's 11-straight win record from '92-93.

jsg04

Monkey
Aug 29, 2006
I don't think that the Pens need any help with calls. They have Steve Downie on their side. Two huge turnovers resulting in two game winning goals. After he turned the puck over tonight he then decides to lay out Sykora long after he passed the puck to Malone for the goal. Way to go, that will fire the boys up. Please go back to sitting at the end of the bench with your head down even know your coach keeps calling you a big game player.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Dunno, the league looks at Syndey and malkin as a big part of its future. I could see a bit of slanted officiating giving the Pens the Cup...
They need to do this to offset Dallas beating the Sabres in the 98'/99' finals. Hockey should not ever be played in Texas as it a big evil nasty place where the boogie man lives. God has scorned the NHL because of this. The Pens need to adjust the misalignment of the small market hockey continuum that makes it all relevant!!!

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
The Penguins looked really good last night. Or do the Flyers just suck in this series? Could be a combination of the two. What's up with Philly not getting the puck deep and trying to grind it out a little bit more??? The Penguins are impressing me with their dedication to team defense.

Do you think either the Flyers or the Stars will get a win in their series? I'd say the Stars have the best shot to get one win - but once they go back to Detroit they are toast.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a Pittsburgh sweep. Phill just doesn't look like it has enough in their tank anymore. The Briere line is useless out there.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
From what I've observed, and I certainly have not watched every minute of this series, the Penguins are just skating circles around Philly. And when Philly does have the puck, their play is very choppy. They lose the puck a lot, turn it over, and get beat to lose pucks.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
IMHO, if the Flyers could/would get the puck in deep, and mount an aggressive forecheck, they could grind the Pens down and maybe have a chance (Pens D is not that huge and/or mobile) . But Downies cough up at the line is typical of what they have become. Cross the blueline, try to dipsy doodle while standing flat footed, and give up the puck and an odd man rush.
Stars need to take one tonight, maybe even another. Wings will be too fresh if they dont, and will whip snot out of the next opponent.

jsg04

Monkey
Aug 29, 2006
I can understand a little bit about the two missing defensemen for the Flyers, but they have had no sustained pressure in the Pens zone at all. Every once in a great while they will get a good chance, then they end up turning the puck over and the Pens break it out of the zone.

I am looking forward to tomorrow night and seeing all the dejected Flyers fans watching their team shake hands after being completely humiliated four strait.

BTW the penalty that the Red Wings got called on resulting in Dallas’s second goal, worst penalty call ever.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
What about the phantom goalie interference on Detroits first (shouldabeena) goal? Terrible. And I was rooting for the Stars!
Stars showed some life in winning this one, lets see if they can keep it up.
And Eddie Olcyzk needs to shut up. What an idiot he is...you would think he is bucking for a job on the Detroit staff.