Quantcast

North* reports here-

ryanxj

Chimp
Apr 27, 2006
log ride.jpg

Where is this thing? I was up there Sat and Sun opening weekend but I didnt come across any log rides like this!

Kevin G

Chimp
Jul 11, 2007
Fairfax, CA
Will be bringing my Prophet with stock crap AM3 fork this weekend and will let you know if it survives...

Sweet pics. Looking at those is making me re-think which bike I want to bring. I've got a Prophet with a Lyrik on it or a Kumicho R. I was originally going to ride my kumicho, but maybe the prophet would be fun too? Anyone else ride northstar on a shorter travel bike?

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
Sounds good. I may be bringing my prophet this weekend too, maybe we'll have enough parts by the end of the day to have one working one! :D

First time riding Northstar since like 1991, what trail should I hit first?

yesimaddicted

Monkey
Apr 28, 2007
centeral Euroland via CA
my freind alomost dies on livewire on thursday, he hit the 1st tabletop and landed on the the lip of the third! His throat hit his heatset and crushed his trachea, vocal chord and voice box. He had to be airlifted w a breathing tube and later a treacheaotomy where a hole was cut in his throat! He is gonna be in the hospital for 2 weeks and cant talk for 5 months or even the rest of his life!
o shiz man that is not fun, tell him to heal up

desmo

Chimp
Apr 26, 2007
Here is Gideon nailing the over/under from Saturday. My second trip to N* this summer, about a dozen more times to go :)

I accomplished my goals of this trip. Next trip, my goal is to hit the 3' or so drop off on upper Gypsy.

SBDHrida

Monkey
Aug 19, 2005
aMERica
I hate all of you so much right now. I feel like a junky right now, trying to get some kind of replacement fix from the pics. Oh well, I just have to get by for a month or so, but then its on.

Mar 10, 2005
Santa Cruz/Sacramento, Ca
My goal is figuring out ways to go quickly around those drops and maintain speed.

Those "landings" suck.
I've wanted to say that so bad. Everything out there is awesome. It just makes me sad that I'll hit every drop once and decide to take safe routes the rest of the season because I don't dig dropping to flat.

I was out there opening day. We waited for the very first lift up to livewire and gypsy. They sorta' had dirt landings back then. Sort of.

Throwing in wood landings for those things would be amazing. They'd help cut down on the erosion and definitely make the stunts safer. Not just piling in wood, either. Maybe some shore based stuff. I know that they've piled some rocks for landings and they seem to work well, but once the dust brushes off, they get more sketch. Point in case? That step-down to big left berm on gypsy. I hit that more that four times opening day. A week ago, I hit it once and decided against it for the rest of the day just because of all the exposed rocks in the landing.

Then again, I'm a big wimp.

asa

Monkey
May 2, 2005
...as soon a Live Wire is done, we will be making some impovements on all the trails.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Point in case? That step-down to big left berm on gypsy. I hit that more that four times opening day. A week ago, I hit it once and decided against it for the rest of the day just because of all the exposed rocks in the landing.
Those rocks are like butter. They're smooth as hell. Just land on them, you'll be fine. I love that section.

DUKESofTAH0E

Monkey
Mar 27, 2006
northstar
my freind alomost dies on livewire on thursday, he hit the 1st tabletop and landed on the the lip of the third! His throat hit his heatset and crushed his trachea, vocal chord and voice box. He had to be airlifted w a breathing tube and later a treacheaotomy where a hole was cut in his throat! He is gonna be in the hospital for 2 weeks and cant talk for 5 months or even the rest of his life!
i was on scene for that wreck. let EJ know all of us here at patrol wish him the best of luck and a speedy recovery.

DUKESofTAH0E

Monkey
Mar 27, 2006
northstar
You patrol up there?

What do you ride, I'll keep an eye out for you.

What happened yesterday with the rider on the back board down by the bottom of k-12?
iam riding the sofa in the locker room since i dislocated my wrist and broke my hand opening weekend. i saw you on saturday when you came into ride but didnt realize who you were till i asked someone who the weekend trail crew guy was that rides a red pinstriped demo. the guy at the bottom of k12 dislocated his shoulder on the lil step down in the berms then passed out "from the pain" as he tried to walk down.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
iam riding the sofa in the locker room since i dislocated my wrist and broke my hand opening weekend. i saw you on saturday when you came into ride but didnt realize who you were till i asked someone who the weekend trail crew guy was that rides a red pinstriped demo. the guy at the bottom of k12 dislocated his shoulder on the lil step down in the berms then passed out "from the pain" as he tried to walk down.
Glad that's all it was. I'm sure he'd disagree with my casual tone of course;)

Slap me in the head next time you see me and say hi. I'm there every weekend............unfortunately riding only the chainsaws get fixed :monkey:

matt12

Monkey
Aug 17, 2004
Napa, CA

Tone

Chimp
Aug 9, 2005
Hey there, is your friends name Jack? I was behind him on the trail and was the first to come up on him. I didn't see him hit the jump because I was pretty far back, but after getting help and what not and seeing him airlifted out, I really felt bad for him. Knowing now that he crushed his voice box explains why he was unable to talk to us. I myself have panic attacks and anxiety and could really sense that he was freaking out because he was unable to tell us what happened or what was wrong. Anyways, I'm sure he doesn't remember me, but tell him I hope he fully recovers and soon!

Tone

jimw

Monkey
Aug 10, 2004
Santa Cruz, CA
Man, that really sucks about that injury. Hope he heals up soon. I can see how that sort of thing might happen up there... speaking of which:

jimw said:
cant wait for them to finish livewire.
Any estimate on when this trail will open? It just says "mid-summer" on the website.
I talked to one of the lifties at the top of the lift where livewire starts on Sat. I asked when the trail would be done, and from his response it sounded like a major factor keeping it from being finished is that people are getting hurt on it. Apparently there were at least a couple people that got hurt and are suing.

Anyway, here's my report from Sat. Kinda doesn't seem all that important knowing that some people got seriously injured, but FWIW...

I haven't been up there in several years, and the last time I was there, I was on my Enduro, with bar ends! :) This time it was much more fun on the Demo 9.

I thought Livewire/Gypsy were really fun and have a lot of potential. I was really only riding for about half a day (got started late) so didn't get to check out all the trails. Really looking forward to going back. Hit those log rides on lower Gypsy and Over/Under, they are pretty sweet (but what's up with all the flat landings??). Dog Bone is still just as nasty as I remember it, even on the Demo. I think it should be called Broken Bone. Note to self: next time don't choose to ride Dog Bone on the one run where you forget your gloves at the bottom of the lift!

Major props to N* (and everyone here associated with them) for reopening the park this year, and putting in some new trails. It's definitely the closest thing to Whistler around here.

Here are a few pics.

Buffy checking out the practice logs by the lift:

The mysterious invisible dropping man (bad lighting)!

N* is hard on bikes. Who needs a rear derailleur anyway? BTW the guys at the mid-mountain shop were super-cool and fixed it for me (replaced cable), even though they were pretty slammed and this wasn't a rental bike. Props.

Somewhere on Gypsy:

Mullet sighting in South Lake Tahoe. Beware!

asa

Monkey
May 2, 2005
The only factor keeping Live Wire from completion is the fact that it takes a long time to build a trail like that. We are working our butts off to get it done. Hopefully, the next section will be completed for the coming weekend. Also, as far as I know, no one is suing! I don't know where the lift operators hear this stuff, but I wish they would not pass it on unless they know it to be true.

jimw

Monkey
Aug 10, 2004
Santa Cruz, CA
Hmm, well glad to hear that's not the case. I asked the guy when it was supposed to be finished, and he said "when people stop falling on it." I asked him to explain and that when he mentioned the lawsuits etc. Dunno where he got that info if it's completely false.

BTW seriously great work on the new trails! Good to see a real commitment from N* to the bike park. Can't wait to check out the new section soon.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Hey man, that trail is called Parrot's Ferry. Here's the original thread from about 2 1/2 years ago. punkassean was cool enough to create that avatar for me after seeing potential in one of the pics. :)
Nice. looks like it was in better shape when you guys hit it.

It was kind of interesting hitting that stuff on my 26lb xc bike:D

If I'm ever down there again, I'll get in touch with you. I want to ride that place again.

jimw

Monkey
Aug 10, 2004
Santa Cruz, CA
Cool... but I don't live anywhere near Parrot's Ferry. :) However, if you're ever down near Santa Cruz drop me a line! I'm also planning on hitting up Northstar a bunch more this season so maybe I'll run into you there...

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Cool... but I don't live anywhere near Parrot's Ferry. :) However, if you're ever down near Santa Cruz drop me a line! I'm also planning on hitting up Northstar a bunch more this season so maybe I'll run into you there...
Yeah I'm at northstar every weekend.

And if you're the same jimw on teletips, get in touch in winter too. Especially if the word tioga is mentioned:D

jimw

Monkey
Aug 10, 2004
Santa Cruz, CA
Did someone mention Tioga?? Nope, never heard of it... :)

Yep, same jimw on ttips and splitboard.com (same avatar too :)). Definitely should meet up come winter. Getting a little OT now, so check yer PM's...

jimw

Monkey
Aug 10, 2004
Santa Cruz, CA
Another rider taken out on Livewire... Rich (surfinguru) went down this weekend on the step-up. Details aren't too clear, and he doesn't remember much because he had a pretty good concussion. Aside from that he ended up with a pretty bad separated shoulder. Heal up soon man! Apparently another guy went down right after Rich was whisked off the mountain in exactly the same spot.

Careful out there...