Quantcast

Obscure, overseas, small, reclusive bike companies!

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
Lately I've seen to developed a love for discovering bike companies I've never heard of. You guys prob know them all, but they're almost ALL new to me! Some of the names I know, but never really checked them out. This all got started by my hunt for the ultimate 24" specific heavy street frame.
Here's a few I've found so far....

Mutant bikes http://mutantbikes.com/
(The Xray is THE sickest bike with every spec I want. Working on setting up a US distributor for them right now!)

Agent!bikes http://www.agent-bikes.de/

Dobermann bikes http://www.dobermannbikes.com/

Static bikes(the Plan B is SICK AS F*CK) http://www.staticbikes.co.uk/

I can't find the other page of my well organized(giggle) list of bike mfg's right now... I'll keep digging through all this crap, in the meantime, please post up! I LOVE looking at new bikes! Technically, I personally am only looking for 24" bikes, even cruisers with BMXish geo, but I'm no two6 hater yet!

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
Now that HAS to be the very best "first post" in the history of RM! Welcome aboard..uh... Yo 33 49...? Funny name, great post! Thanks!
I was SOLD on the Last Raffnix until I saw the slack head angle. I'm looking for a 72degreeish angle with 14.5-14.75 chainstays...and discs!

Daman

Chimp
Nov 27, 2001
Dobermann is not a "overseas, small, reclusive bike companies!" ; )

We are from Canada !

One thing to notice about all those brand...is that pretty much none of them makes there own stuff...its mostly all made in asia wish make alot of product very similar...

Stoked

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2004
LI, NY
the stand out for me is the mutant stuff. when i first saw that a while back, it looked just like a 24" fly bmx.

Polandspring88

Superman
Mar 31, 2004
Broomfield, CO
^^^Since when did Jack Black get a haircut and start riding bikes?

Dobermann is not a "overseas, small, reclusive bike companies!" ; )

We are from Canada !

One thing to notice about all those brand...is that pretty much none of them makes there own stuff...its mostly all made in asia wish make alot of product very similar...
I think he meant, overseas or small or reclusive bike companies. In that case you guys probably fit into the small bike company segment.

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
^^^Since when did Jack Black get a haircut and start riding bikes?

I think he meant, overseas or small or reclusive bike companies. In that case you guys probably fit into the small bike company segment.

I think you quoted the wrong guy! But Yeah, it was supposed to be three different descriptions. Maybe I should have said "foreign" instead?

And being a small company is def NOT a bad thing, Daman. If you guys were big, you wouldn't be in this list! I just don't want to see bikes from Walmart, Specialized, Giant, etc... Not that they suck or anything(well, WallyWorlds do, of course!), just not what I'm looking for.
And don't badmouth other companies, only makes you guys look bad, even if it is the truth. Right now, Dobermann is still on the list as my next possible bike. Do custom work? I'm looking for something with geo more like the Mutant. I just can't get ahold of the Mutant very easily. Although, Nuno did finally find time to return my email. Sounds busy over there!
That Ti bike looks so sick!!! And expensive!

But I can't believe the 14" CS length... but maybe. With a small rear tire, and no CS yoke behind the BB....

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
Daman, maybe post a pic of your MBF frame? I've never been able to find a decent shot of it built up, but it is probably one of the nicest hardtail frames I can think of.

Polandspring88

Superman
Mar 31, 2004
Broomfield, CO
I think you quoted the wrong guy! But Yeah, it was supposed to be three different descriptions. Maybe I should have said "foreign" instead?

And being a small company is def NOT a bad thing, Daman. If you guys were big, you wouldn't be in this list! I just don't want to see bikes from Walmart, Specialized, Giant, etc... Not that they suck or anything(well, WallyWorlds do, of course!), just not what I'm looking for.
And don't badmouth other companies, only makes you guys look bad, even if it is the truth. Right now, Dobermann is still on the list as my next possible bike. Do custom work? I'm looking for something with geo more like the Mutant. I just can't get ahold of the Mutant very easily. Although, Nuno did finally find time to return my email. Sounds busy over there!
That Ti bike looks so sick!!! And expensive!

But I can't believe the 14" CS length... but maybe. With a small rear tire, and no CS yoke behind the BB....
Nah, I quoted the right guy, just pointing out to him what you meant by the title and how he should not be insulted that you included his company under the small, foreign, and overseas category.

I also don't think that he was necessarily bad mouthing other companies, just pointing out that the majority of those frames are coming from Asia.

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
14.0" inch chainstays with a 26" wheel are NOT POSSIBLE, at least if the chainstays are being measured in the normal way.

which is: center of the bottom bracket to the center of the axle when it is placed in the most forward position that is still rideable with tire clearance and brake positioning.

that bike does look SICK though. awesome.

i much prefer traditional double triangles and skinnier bmx-style tubing versus some of the over-built looking bikes from big companies like Kona or Specialized. not that they're not good bikes. just aesthetically....

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
Nah, I quoted the right guy, just pointing out to him what you meant by the title and how he should not be insulted that you included his company under the small, foreign, and overseas category.

I also don't think that he was necessarily bad mouthing other companies, just pointing out that the majority of those frames are coming from Asia.

Whoops, my bad! I read you post wrong, while thinking you read HIS post wrong!
I really don't think all those frames listed by YO are any more similar to each other than every hardtail from the US is. They all have different Geo, each company has a different outlook, and like the US, each company thinks they're holding the end-all of the bike industry. The Mutant Xray is still the "IT" bike in my book. Hell, I'm actually worried that it could be TOO light and tight!

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
14.0" inch chainstays with a 26" wheel are NOT POSSIBLE, at least if the chainstays are being measured in the normal way.

which is: center of the bottom bracket to the center of the axle when it is placed in the most forward position that is still rideable with tire clearance and brake positioning.
It's possible, and that bike is how you do it. The only thing I'm wondering about is his BB height. Just study how that frame is setup, then go outside and look at yours. Stick a tape on the axle at 14" and imagine where the BB would have to sit. He has it so it drops under the tire a bit and the seat tube sits forward on the downtube, in front of the BB shell making room for the tire. But I'm also wondering how this makes the cockpit feel when sitting. Not a lot of people are worried about that, but all-day street riders do have to sit on occasion! That's gotta feel weird... the leading edge of the rear tire is nearly in front of the BB shell. No sprocket stalls on that bike!

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
They prob still are, but I guess I really don't consider Tonic or USB to be all that obscure anymore. Hell, they're mentioned in every damn thread anymore!

Here's my ideal bike: If you guys see something that matches, yell!
21.5"-22" tt
14.5" CS
72* HA w/60mm travel fork
12"-13" BB height
I haven't decided on the BB height yet because I don't know. I only know that the lower it is the more slow-speed stability you'll have. Now I'm hearing that the higher it is the snappier it feels, the easier it is to spin and hop. That's what I'm into now, so I'd like to try it!
Also not sure if I could pull off a sub-22" tt as my foot would prob be hitting the front tire. Unless it was 24"...

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
They prob still are, but I guess I really don't consider Tonic or USB to be all that obscure anymore. Hell, they're mentioned in every damn thread anymore!

Here's my ideal bike: If you guys see something that matches, yell!
21.5"-22" tt
14.5" CS
72* HA w/60mm travel fork
12"-13" BB height
I haven't decided on the BB height yet because I don't know. I only know that the lower it is the more slow-speed stability you'll have. Now I'm hearing that the higher it is the snappier it feels, the easier it is to spin and hop. That's what I'm into now, so I'd like to try it!
Also not sure if I could pull off a sub-22" tt as my foot would prob be hitting the front tire. Unless it was 24"...
This all got started by my hunt for the ultimate 24" specific heavy street frame.
Thrill - just call up Lee or Landon and get one of their frames. Keep the business in the USA.

Ditch the f'n disks and you'll be a ton happier. For a street rig, rim brakes are the way to go. I don't ride much park or street but hated disks even just moving the bike around the ramps I'd hit the disk on coping and bend it slightly. I'm 220 and the 990's slow me down fine at the trails. It takes a little getting used to and some learning of how to dial in 990's but they can work well and have a better feel for stall stuff like fuf's and abubacas.

Another option: Go to Brew's frame building class and build your own. IIRC, you do roll cage fabrication already so it should be pretty easy.

3rd option: Give Chris at Thick a call and have him build something for you. It won't be cheap and it won't be lightweight but it will survive anything. This cruiser he did looks pretty good - just needs some work w/ the seat tube angle. 67 is too slack: http://thickbikes.com/Grouper_24_Frame.html

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
Yeah I checked out Thick's stuff. Def BURLY. But Not light. I'm not a bomber, but I am in the hack/learning stages. Which is why I want discs, atleast for now. I've been bangin the sh*t out of the streets and P-lots here trying to dial 180s and now 360 hops. The one thing I can count on is that no matter how F'd my rim gets, I can keep riding. And stopping! I have been pedal grinding on my non drive side for months now, with 8" rotors:-)O) front and rear, and no issues at all. I even forgot they were 8" rotors until JUST now! Now I'll prob smoke them. But I peg grind on my right side, hip to the left only for now... by the time I can start switching it up I'll have some skill to back up my attempts. And rotors are cheaper than frustration(you've never seen me on a bad day!).

What I have been considering as of lately, is possibly sticking with 26" and just getting a slicker frame. RTW is pretty busy these days, but might see what we can wiz up together. He's already doin 15" chainstays, I think shorter is possible... just gotta see if he will do steel or if I should give the 3lb aluminum frame a shot!
And then there's always that beautiful new twosix Tonic...

THRILLSEEKA said:
..... It's possible, and that bike is how you do it. The only thing I'm wondering about is his BB height. Just study how that frame is setup, then go outside and look at yours. Stick a tape on the axle at 14" and imagine where the BB would have to sit. He has it so it drops under the tire a bit and the seat tube sits forward on the downtube...
i'm obviously missing something. it's a circle, there is no way you can get closer to the axle than the outer circumference that same circle. are we now measuring virtual chainstays? why not stick that bb way down there and eliminate chainstays alltogether...

quick rough math -

355.6mm = 14"

341.5mm = my rear wheel radius with a 2.3
+11.0mm = half my 22mm spindle
352.5mm = total distance used thus far

now i have 3.1mm space left for my bearings (which are easily 5mms thick) my bb shell (which is easily another another 2-3mm's) and some clearance of some sort...
that leaves me with approx -10mms of space...

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Hey, do the Magura trials brakes work on 990 mounts? I don't know, I've run discs ever since I could... I'd atleast like to stay hydro...
No, they're V-brakes.

Just get a Union and be done with it. The Tonic is cool but un-available and because 24s are stronger than 26s you won't have to worry about your brakes rubbing. Sounds like an aluminum bike is NOT a good choice for your riding style. I think a Union, with Deore brakes, Profile cranks, beefy wheels, and a dropped Z1 would be perfect for you.

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
Alright, here's what I can gather. I may be seeing this totally off as well, so keep your damn cool!
Basically it has to be a REALLY low BB frame. I've seen some video of it on Youtube, though, and it didn't look bad at all, so I dunno. It DID look like he could fart and it would pop straight up. Note his forward placed seat tube, and the chainstays wouldn't have to be there, but I like that it keeps them out of the way on shtuff like pedal grinds. And you can see how the leading edge of the tire is on top of the BB rather than behind it. So you could look at it two ways: he either dropped the BB height and pulled the wheel forward, or raised the axle center to allow bringing the wheel forward. RTW's wicked Al frame has 15" chainstays, and he just bent the seat tube. Rtw's frame had a somewhat high BB and it even looked to me like the chainstays could actually be a bit shorter, and that was with 2.4 Holy's...
Sorry, I draw like dog poo when I'm rushed...

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
No, they're V-brakes.

Just get a Union and be done with it. The Tonic is cool but un-available and because 24s are stronger than 26s you won't have to worry about your brakes rubbing. Sounds like an aluminum bike is NOT a good choice for your riding style. I think a Union, with Deore brakes, Profile cranks, beefy wheels, and a dropped Z1 would be perfect for you.
What? You think I have a STYLE??? Ha! You've never seen me ride! Think: Napolean Dynamite on rollerskates...and angry. :happydance:
OK, i might not be THAT bad, but I sure feel like it sometimes!

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
Landon and Leethal, you guys are, or atleast SEEM really cool, especially for business owners. I don't mean "cool" as in you won't get beat up by 12 year olds at the skatepark, but when you guys talk I feel all relaxed and happy and wanna buy stuff and eat marshmellows...

i just measured my bike, it is 13 5/8" from the center of my axle to the curcumference of my wheel (with a 2.3) how an i supposed to get my bottom bracket and clearance in that leftover 3/8"?????

i still say why not rotate the bb down about another 85 degrees and have a bike with 0" chainstays...

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
I dunno dude. Maybe that guy's measuring them wrong. Would be pretty stupid of him to do if he's trying to get something up and running. Like i said, it didn't LOOK all that odd, and a 26" bike with 14" chainstays...would look odd. SO, now I see what YOU'RE saying about the "virtual" CSs... He must be measuring it with a damn level. And technically, I guess, he would be correct.... wouldn't he?
Damnit... now I have a headache! Let's just call it short, overpriced, and kinda funny looking. I was ALSO about to jump on it about buffing the welds down like a friggin Cannondale, but they're just really pretty Ti welds! Yummm

Mar 23, 2006
NoVA/ Richmond
I agree with WestCoastHucker, you would have to be measuring a virtual chainstay, because the radius of the wheel will always keep the bottom bracket a certain distance from the axle. However by making the bottom bracket lower and further back, you would be moving the bottom bracket closer to where the tire contacts the road.

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
Yeah, what you said! Yeah, he kept yelling it at me and I just wasn't hearing it!
So not sure if that's smart marketing or not, technically, yeah, it's a 14" chainstay, but it raises a whole lotta doubt first, plus that BB has to be in the dirt.