Quantcast

Ordering a custom hardtail

BIRDMAN111

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2006
at school dreaming about trails
I want a custom Ti BMX frame, similar to a S+M LAF... Can't afford it though. Wanna buy me one Sanj?
hes got the cash, cause hes spending it on frivalous things. you could use that money for something use full, like a local bikes for kids organization, a boys and girls club or something. i just think that spending $2100 on a custom frame is unneccacary and it pisses me off.

and whats so wrong with your present bike that you feel the need to get a new $2100 custom frame. if youve done all that you claim to have done then your bike cant suck that much

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
hes got the cash, cause hes spending it on frivalous things. you could use that money for something use full, like a local bikes for kids organization, a boys and girls club or something. i just think that spending $2100 on a custom frame is unneccacary and it pisses me off.

and whats so wrong with your present bike that you feel the need to get a new $2100 custom frame. if youve done all that you claim to have done then your bike cant suck that much
Lots of people spend lots of money on lots of worthless crap. Welcome to the capitalist Western World.

Go protest the Iraq war, as opposed to bitching about someone buying a custom Seven.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Well:

My Seven road bike rides like crap on my downhill runs.
I can't do X-ups with my VP-Free.
My Kona Dawg Primo is really a single pivot bike.
The Norco Torrent is not actually Canadian, but made in Taiwan.
My Surly 1x1 doesn't have disc brake tabs.

Did I mention I have been a mentor to inner-city kids in two cities, and I coached softball in Harlem and basketball in New Orleans?

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
Finally, thanks for your opinion about steel riding better than Ti. I raced on a steel frame for a decade, alu for 2 seasons, then my Axiom Ti to the podium of the Connecticut State Championships.

Personaly I love the feel of my titanium frame... it forgiving like a steel one but with more of a Zingy feel to it. :)

Sounds like an awesome bike sanjuro, I wish I could have afforded a seven frame when I was buying, instead I got a Cove hummer (made by lightspeed).

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Personaly I love the feel of my titanium frame... it forgiving like a steel one but with more of a Zingy feel to it. :)

Sounds like an awesome bike sanjuro, I wish I could have afforded a seven frame when I was buying, instead I got a Cove hummer (made by lightspeed).
I hope no one thinks I was rubbing it in by mentioned I am buying a Seven. Both bikes I worked two jobs, full time and a part time at the shop. I couldn't have afforded either unless I worked 6 days a week.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
dude, if anything im a punk ass kid, whos only arguing with this guy only cause its fun and im probably just jealous that i cant get a custom frame
This is probably the smartest thing you've posted.

Basically you are missing the point of my post. This has nothing to with what he needs, it's about what he wants. For some people, the bike obsession goes beyond just riding - it includes indulging in parts fantasies. A few centimeters WILL drasticlly alter a bike, but nobody said it will make you a better rider.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
This is probably the smartest thing you've posted.

Basically you are missing the point of my post. This has nothing to with what he needs, it's about what he wants. For some people, the bike obsession goes beyond just riding - it includes indulging in parts fantasies. A few centimeters WILL drasticlly alter a bike, but nobody said it will make you a better rider.
Forget you. This hardtail will make me the greatest rider in the Norcal area. I plan on duelling Mark Weir, Levi Leipenheimer, and Curtis Keene on this bike, and I will defeat them all!!!!!!!!!!!!

capt.crispy

Monkey
Apr 18, 2006
Farmington,New Mexico
I think the bottom line is that he earned the money and has a right to spend it how ever he wants and unless you are married to him you have no right to tell him how to spend his money or what he should be looking for in a bike.Your bike is a personal thing and what works for one person may not work for another.If it wasn't for people being different and buying differently we wouldn't have the choices we do in the bike indistry today and we would be very limited on what we could ride.
I say spread the money around and ride what you like.You earned the money and if you can't enjoy riding than what is the point?:cheers:

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Forget you. This hardtail will make me the greatest rider in the Norcal area. I plan on duelling Mark Weir, Levi Leipenheimer, and Curtis Keene on this bike, and I will defeat them all!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yah. You are destined for gold in the "Most Expensive Beater" category!

:biggrin: :cheers:

BIRDMAN111

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2006
I think the bottom line is that he earned the money and has a right to spend it how ever he wants and unless you are married to him you have no right to tell him how to spend his money or what he should be looking for in a bike.Your bike is a personal thing and what works for one person may not work for another.If it wasn't for people being different and buying differently we wouldn't have the choices we do in the bike indistry today and we would be very limited on what we could ride.
I say spread the money around and ride what you like.You earned the money and if you can't enjoy riding than what is the point?:cheers:
the thing that sets mountain bikers from other bikers is the sense of care free. mountain bikers were known for throwing some knobby tires and maybe some suspension on a frame and hucking down a mountain. they got away from the fashon of road biking do something else that was in harmony with nature. enjoying riding without having to worry about how cool or nice your bike is, but just syncronizing with the trail. its alot like fly fishing verses regular bait casting, its not so much about catching the biggest fish, just the pursuit of catching one, and enjoying that fish for what it is, and not worrying about how small or skinny it is.

and you guys worrying about the size of your fish

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
the thing that sets mountain bikers from other bikers is the sense of care free. mountain bikers were known for throwing some knobby tires and maybe some suspension on a frame and hucking down a mountain. they got away from the fashon of road biking do something else that was in harmony with nature. enjoying riding without having to worry about how cool or nice your bike is, but just syncronizing with the trail. its alot like fly fishing verses regular bait casting, its not so much about catching the biggest fish, just the pursuit of catching one, and enjoying that fish for what it is, and not worrying about how small or skinny it is.

Don't worry about what kind of bikes I own, how much money I make, how much riding I do, and what kind of bike I should be riding.

I've answered every doubt you have about me, but I know I will never measure up to your lofty standards.

Just let me ask one simple question: what stock bike comes with a Marathon XC fork?

You're a bike expert, right?

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle

It is self-centered, presumptuous and arrogant to assume all mountain bikers ride for the same reasons, especially when you employ tired generalizations to do so. Ask any pro XC racer how "care free" they feel when they are out training...

Your fly fishing analogy can be tweaked to support what we are saying. Yes, it's not about catching the most or biggest fish - it's about the process, fiddling with equipment, and the indulgence of taking your passion wherever it leads. You are saying sanjuro should just ride any bike...well, why choose a fly rod over a spincaster, if you can catch a fish either way? And why get a $200 reel when someone else can be happy with a $50 reel?

You are wrong, Sanjuro isn't worried about the size of the fish. He isn't worried about winning, and I don't think he's hoping this bike will make him a better rider. Just like choosing a fly over a spinner, he's just making a choice for himself. For better or worse, it's his call, and saying "don't worry about it, just ride" completely misses the point. Get it?

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
south lake tahoe, ca
My life will be complete when I get a Seven hardtail and a Nomad.
i know what you can do to make everyone happy.
you can 'donate' your vp-free to this poor girl i know up in tahoe.
her current dh bike is beat and she has no money for a new bike.

then you can get yourself the nomad and appease birdman by donating to charity.

BIRDMAN111

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2006
weve all strayed from the origional discussion of whether small measurements on the frame will drasticly change a bike's performance, i think that it doesnt you think that it does, so lets just agree to dissagree

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
weve all strayed from the origional discussion of whether small measurements on the frame will drasticly change a bike's performance, i think that it doesnt you think that it does, so lets just agree to dissagree
leaving with the tail between your legs eh?

VaNIlLin81

Monkey
Jan 27, 2006
c-ville
:clapping: :clapping: :clapping: This is better than hanging out downtown Friday nights. I'm going to have to do this more often.

This is the only thing I have to say.

Death is inevitable. Go down fighting:cheers:

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
uhh no not at all thats why i said "cant we just agree to dissagree" thats not getting pissy about it

take a smart pill dude:lighten:

I was refering to your "shut the **** up" post.
That was the getting ****ty post.
What Gnu had said previous to this was (whilst mildly obnoxious) not really warrenting your response. :clue: