Quantcast

Osama bin Laden...

conor

Monkey
Jan 19, 2009
Ireland
Can't argue that.
but i am 15

also while i find it kind of strange that you trawled through my posts to find an immature one, i wasn't referring to your post in general just the snide comment about potato farming you decided to throw in because you're talking to an irish person.

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Pretty far from impressed.
Its been what? Ten years and a trillion dollar budget?
Dont forget why "the Arabs" hate the USA in the first place... Its not because of Coca Cola but because they had a big hand in fukkin the region up in the first place.
People like Bin Laden only capitalized on that.

And all the people screaming USA in front of the white house and during a ballgame cause USA Spec Ops have finally found and murdered a figure that has become pretty much irrelevant in present day? Yup must be great to be American... :S

Not trying to piss on anyones parade here, but killing a so called religious leader and throwing a party about it just might piss some people off as well.

most Muslims didn't consider him a religious leader. Kinda like how most christians don't consider fred phelps to be a religious leader.

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
most Muslims didn't consider him a religious leader. Kinda like how most christians don't consider fred phelps to be a religious leader.
Youre right, I didnt really mean to say Muslims in general but a considerable share did/does see him as a religious/spiritual leader.

He was an inspiration because he made a statement against the **** ups of US political actions in that region in the past decades and the way the USA is celebrating his (supposed?) death isnt gonna make things better imo...

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Apparently the majority of facebook users fail to realize that most of us actually did hear this news via mainstream media outlets. So, really, no need to include this or any reference to this as your status update for the day. It's already annoying me. THX!

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
Apparently the majority of facebook users fail to realize that most of us actually did hear this news via mainstream media outlets. So, really, no need to include this or any reference to this as your status update for the day. It's already annoying me. THX!
I apparently have better facebook friends than you. Not a single one on my FB

nyah

JeffKill

Monkey
Jun 21, 2006
Charlotte, NC
So they supposedly killed him, then conveniently buried him at sea, getting rid of any physical evidence/proof of doing so?

Im not buying it.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
And all the people screaming USA in front of the white house and during a ballgame cause USA Spec Ops have finally found and murdered a figure that has become pretty much irrelevant in present day? Yup must be great to be American... :S

Not trying to piss on anyones parade here, but killing a so called religious leader and throwing a party about it just might piss some people off as well.
also, don't forget that on 9/11, there were people in muslim countries dancing in the streets...

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Fact: I first heard about it when I logged onto RM this morning.:weee:

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
As I said in PaWN, great symbolic victory...but strategic? not so much. I want to know who Bin Laden was in bed with at the Pakistani Secret Service/ISI. Dude was living in a major military town, for crying out loud!

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
Fun game-

Any time a public figure, news reporter or famous person reminds us that Osama Bin Laden killed more muslims than non muslims, take a drink.

As I said in PaWN, great symbolic victory...but strategic? not so much. I want to know who Bin Laden was in bed with at the Pakistani Secret Service/ISI. Dude was living in a major military town, for crying out loud!

Totally.
If we would of taken him out when we had him at Tora-Bora way back when the strategic value would have been VERY good.
10 years later after we have been sucked dry and spread thin (Bin Laden goal with us) its sadly a hollow victory at this point in the game...

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
well played...thought the same thing...
Well played? :rolleyes:
People in the Muslim world have been suffering under the dictatorships installed by the US (and all the BS that came from and after them)and have therefore developed an aversion for "the West". This is all fueled with propaganda by people like Osama Bin Laden, and the people of a lot of those countries blame the US/West for all the bad stuff that has happend and is happening there right now and not without good reason.

I too was disgusted by the people partying in the streets after 9/11 but the background they come from is slightly different then that of the people standing and cheering on Obamas front lawn...

If you really want to form an opinion on this matter I suggest reading a book by Vali Nasr called "the Rise of Islamic Capitalism".
I allways find it more comfortable to talk about something when I actually know whats going on.
Maybe you should try it.

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
People in the Muslim world have been suffering under the dictatorships installed by the US (and all the BS that came from and after them)and have therefore developed an aversion for "the West". This is all fueled with propaganda by people like Osama Bin Laden, and the people of a lot of those countries blame the US/West for all the bad stuff that has happend and is happening there right now and not without good reason.

I too was disgusted by the people partying in the streets after 9/11 but the background they come from is slightly different then that of the people standing and cheering on Obamas front lawn...

If you really want to form an opinion on this matter I suggest reading a book by Vali Nasr called "the Rise of Islamic Capitalism".
I allways find it more comfortable to talk about something when I actually know whats going on.
Maybe you should try it.
..but, cross compare recent democracy protests in Egypt, Tunisia, Syria and Libya. Al Queda was out of the picture there. It seems at least at face value that perhaps fear of Westernization may be fading? Honestly, it could go either way... the 2005 Arab Barometer survey stated that most (men) wanted democracy BUT at the same time wanted Sharia law to be instated as a justice system (just over 50%). In addition, many of these mentioned countries have a good chance to end up floating in a 'nether world' between democracies and autocracies (CIDCM labels them "anocracies") which remain highly unstable. Think Somalia as a potential end result for a failed state example.

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
..but, cross compare recent democracy protests in Egypt, Tunisia, Syria and Libya. Al Queda was out of the picture there. It seems at least at face value that perhaps fear of Westernization may be fading? Honestly, it could go either way... the 2005 Arab Barometer survey stated that most (men) wanted democracy BUT at the same time wanted Sharia law to be instated as a justice system (just over 50%). In addition, many of these mentioned countries have a good chance to end up floating in a 'nether world' between democracies and autocracies (CIDCM labels them "anocracies") which remain highly unstable. Think Somalia as a potential end result for a failed state example.

Those are in fact perfect examples. Yes people are demanding democracy, but at the same time they want a democracy under Islamic and not Western values as has been tried in the past.
Capitalisme is not in any way forbidden by Islam and Muslims want to be free to enjoy wealth and prosperity while also practising Islam.
Countries like Dubai are a perfect example of this.
Sharia is in most cases not what many Westerners think it is.
Contrary to poplular belief, if a Muslim sais he wants Sharia or Islamic law it does not mean he wants to cut someones hand of when he or she steals something.
The case is ofcourse different in fundamentalist Islam but fundamentalism is dying out with the rise of capitalism is many countries.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog

Maybe you should try it.
Whatever…I would have killed him with my bare hands if I had the chance, and last night when the news broke I opened a beer.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Maybe you should try it.
Whoa, whoa, whoa there pal. This is America were talking about here. "Education" is for Freedom® hating elitists and fags. Only some dirty foreigner like you would want to actually "know" what he’s talking about.

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
Those are in fact perfect examples. Yes people are demanding democracy, but at the same time they want a democracy under Islamic and not Western values as has been tried in the past.
Capitalisme is not in any way forbidden by Islam and Muslims want to be free to enjoy wealth and prosperity while also practising Islam.
Countries like Dubai are a perfect example of this.
Sharia is in most cases not what many Westerners think it is.
Contrary to poplular belief, if a Muslim sais he wants Sharia or Islamic law it does not mean he wants to cut someones hand of when he or she steals something.
The case is ofcourse different in fundamentalist Islam but fundamentalism is dying out with the rise of capitalism is many countries.
True, BUT look & see what Human Rights Watch says about Sharia law, especially as implemented in Nigeria. It ain't pretty.

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
Well there really isnt such a thing as one "Sharia Law" just as there isnt one western justice system.
In the more fundamentalist or undevelloped regimes Sharia Law isnt pretty like you said. And in allmost all cases Sharia Law isnt compatible with Western law systems.
But with the rise of the Muslim lower and middle class in a lot of countries the laws are getting much less harsh and strict.
In most cases an Islamic family doesnt like fundamentalist Sharia anymore then most Westerners do.

Kemalism has allready left a footprint in Islamic culture, and even though it hasnt allways succeeded in creating a Western democratic society, people have learned to see beyond fundamentalism and extremism.