Quantcast

Outbound DH evo lights ?? Or ?

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Want to try glowworms and definitely exposure 6pack
Glow worms are a really neat (small/lightweight) package and have loads of clever/intuitive features with the remotes and modes. But for your use they're not the brightest.
Exposure. Kinda the opposite. Kinda bulky and ugly as a pellet peppered beer can but pack a lot of light for a stand alone unit and are pretty much fit and forget. (once set up how you like your brightness to be delivered)

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Glow worms are a really neat (small/lightweight) package and have loads of clever/intuitive features with the remotes and modes. But for your use they're not the brightest.
Exposure. Kinda the opposite. Kinda bulky and ugly as a pellet peppered beer can but pack a lot of light for a stand alone unit and are pretty much fit and forget. (once set up how you like your brightness to be delivered)
This oughta be enough no? https://www.action-led-lights.com/en-ca/collections/frontpage/products/gloworm-xsv-3600-lumen-lightset-g2-0-with-wireless-remote

Especially if you can customize the beam pattern with optics...

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Yeah I like the gloworm design I was eyeballing 3 different brands. Gloworm, outbound and exposure...niterider kind of fell into my lap they are local and I'm familiar with them...

Some of these lights have smart features etc...guaranteed to piss me off like when my phone screen dims...man I paid for that brightness now quick short changing me phone ..the auto would probably drive me nuts but I am amazed at design and function compared to back a bit ago...

In the pics it looks like the outbound is comparable, it is sitting still but when your running trail hard you notice the niterider just keeps everything out there lot up better and no ? As to what's coming.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Doh. It's been a couple of years since I played with the glowworms. Didn't even think to check if there were newer versions. Yeah. Those do look awesome.
I rarely night ride off road on proper trails anymore as my eyesight is just shit now. But if I ever do I'm sorted for lights with an older magicshine Eagle F3 (3000lm) and Monteer 3500 as well as a few 1500-2000lm stand alone lights I commute with.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Thing that bugs me about Outbound is that they come off acting like they've cured cancer when they are still limited by the inherent limitations of self-contained on a helmet. Maybe the best self-contained light, but more HP is more HP in this case and it's just flat out sometimes needed.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
So have a self contained unit that has a limit but also has a plug to hit it harder by plugging into a small battery pack ..you can go cordless or connect and flame throw..

Dont know if it's viable but an idea...
the Outbound ones can do pass through like that iirc

yup. quick charging + pass through.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK

Yeah, but that's a damn light-bar and not going on a helmet. Compare to something like the glowworm x2 2000 or some of the small Lupine lights. You don't need a light-bar up there, just some decent throw and lumens. Ideally, you want the lowest profile as possible to avoid snagging it on trees and such.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved

Doesn't add lumens or open up a programmed limiter to allow it to go even brighter...I know it can pass through charge I want it to add horsepower to the lights when backed up

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Doesn't add lumens or open up a programmed limiter to allow it to go even brighter...I know it can pass through charge I want it to add horsepower to the lights when backed up
Fair enough. But then you can easily justify running on full power instead of their auto bright then dimming slightly algorithm.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Fair enough. But then you can easily justify running on full power instead of their auto bright then dimming slightly algorithm.
True.
I saw that part and chatted with Tom a bit about the lights..after getting it , I am NOT disappointed at all ..actually overly impressed at its beam, light and self contained...he makes a hell of a light...

My need is a tiny percent of the market so it makes no sense to cater to it...but if he had an option to bump its output up when on auxillary power and go a smidge higher kelvin...his lights would cover a lot of bases as well as have an upsell quality....

I am going brighter, next is the max 6d and possibly try a magicshine, 13k I always said I'd never try magicshine when they first came out due to all the failures and people I knew stranded in a night ride due to the lights failing...
But it's been long enough and I'm pretty sure they kept going by producing a better product and revamping stuff...I'll read before I buy..

So 90% of those who ride night can't go wrong with outbound, they have a crazy good product...those 2 units work incredible together...I just want more, I know what it takes and I know what I am looking for..(sun in a beer can with a glass top)...

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Yeah I like the gloworm design I was eyeballing 3 different brands. Gloworm, outbound and exposure...niterider kind of fell into my lap they are local and I'm familiar with them...

Some of these lights have smart features etc...guaranteed to piss me off like when my phone screen dims...man I paid for that brightness now quick short changing me phone ..the auto would probably drive me nuts but I am amazed at design and function compared to back a bit ago...

In the pics it looks like the outbound is comparable, it is sitting still but when your running trail hard you notice the niterider just keeps everything out there lot up better and no ? As to what's coming.
A buddy and his mate both bought some snazzy Exposure lights a few years back, both their screens on the back shit out not long after the warranty lapsed. I don't trust the brits with anything more advanced than a points ignition system.

Edit, What about Ravemen?

Last edited:

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
I'm not so sure. I think there's enough of us out there that he could make a profit if he did this...
Would be a cool feature you have all the positive of this light and an option to go blazing if needed...I would totally be one and done..his set up brighter and more horsepower..I can run regular rides and all my stuff non pack and then when I know we are going to get loose throw the pack on and have a torch...
I'll email him and so should others I don't know if it's possible but Id assume some circuit, program etc so it senses being hooked up that it unlocks the cool kids zone...

Probably have to redo his connection, can't imagine USB c could handle the draw...2 connectors or 1 in conjunction with this to allow a bigger cable...

If you going to make 1 light set and you do it well, then make it badass and do what the others haven't..

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Sounds like the new Outbound Portal helmet light will at least bridge the gap to some extent, although all they will say for now as to lumens is "more than Hangover, less than Evo". It's too bad the launch date was moved from November to mid-December. I imagine they'd much prefer to have them ready to go now in time for the beginning of daylight savings time/night riding season.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
True.
I saw that part and chatted with Tom a bit about the lights..after getting it , I am NOT disappointed at all ..actually overly impressed at its beam, light and self contained...he makes a hell of a light...

My need is a tiny percent of the market so it makes no sense to cater to it...but if he had an option to bump its output up when on auxillary power and go a smidge higher kelvin...his lights would cover a lot of bases as well as have an upsell quality....

I am going brighter, next is the max 6d and possibly try a magicshine, 13k I always said I'd never try magicshine when they first came out due to all the failures and people I knew stranded in a night ride due to the lights failing...
But it's been long enough and I'm pretty sure they kept going by producing a better product and revamping stuff...I'll read before I buy..

So 90% of those who ride night can't go wrong with outbound, they have a crazy good product...those 2 units work incredible together...I just want more, I know what it takes and I know what I am looking for..(sun in a beer can with a glass top)...
Run a Magicshine and another brand as a second light if you're worried about it failing.

My Magicshine rn3000 is a solid brick of a unit and there are no external cables or anything to go bad. It also has only one button - so once you get the brightness set initially, all you do it turn it off and on, nothing to fuss with.

Alternatively, and perhaps on a serious note, do you wear glasses, or have you had your eyes checked recently? I say it kind of jokingly, but its amazing what a little vision impairment will do to your vision at night (spoken as someone who struggles at night and wears glasses/contacts).

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
It's a good point but on the other hand, if your vision is absolute shit, riding at light might bother you less than someone with good daylight vision. I'm riding pretty much more than half blind all the time, so darkness is sort of an equalizer.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Fwiw, I rode tonight and had the lights on for about 2 hours.

Temps were -2c and I had the lights on full tilt from start to finish.

Not sure when the Magicshine started slow blinking red for low battery, but about 5-10 minutes before the ride ended it dimmed down to save some power.

The old Cygolite didn't change at all. Though to be fair, I forget what the blinking LED for battery life means. Didn't dim though.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
your cars are shit
I'm still fucked as to why China wanted to buy Leyland DAF Vans, what did that company have to offer?
I guess MG was nothing but a name and those things are everywhere now, probably better built now too.

Back to lights, the Lupines look insane, 8600 Lumens!
1698835781525.png

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
They're also insanely priced!
Can you really put a price on 8600 lumens?
Imagine how nice your mate's teal yeti and full matching kit would look in front of the Lupine.

It's definitely a bit dearer than the old Cateye 6000 lumen thing with the fan in it and seems it's about 50% dearer the the Nite Rider 4200 in Oz(you'd be nuts to pay 900 for the NR).

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Shit music taste duly noted. Not exactly surprising coming from an uncultured fuck all history country which struggles with basic use of language.

Last edited:

FlipFantasia

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Sea to Sky BC
did first ride last night with the EVO which I received this week, and Hangover which I've had for a couple years.....so fucking good. I really was happy with the OG Trail version bar light too, but ditching the battery pack and cables is so nice. Was ripping some wet muddy diamondhead last night and absolutely no negative comments, except maybe now I need better eye protection because my glasses were not able to keep my eyes from watering! lol I'm definitely getting the Portal though when it comes out, the Hangover is suitable but I definitely wouldn't mind a bit more juice overall.

Attachments

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I and the kids are mainly just commuting here and there with them, but between us we have a Hangover (on my helmet), a nominally 2300 lumen Ituo (on my commuter handlebar), an OG Trail (on middle kid's handlebar), and a Trail Evo (on elder kid's handlebar). + the rather weak integrated lights on my cargo and commuter bikes, that is.

anyway, I've bought in. the triple flash mode on the Hangover is great for shining in car driver's eyes to get their attention when they're drifting off.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I was riding last night just after the sun went down and it got dark. Sure loved the remote on my XSV that I could turn up to full 3500 when some jerk pulled in front of me. Lots of people saw me and backed off running the red light/stopsign. I'll turn it to max for an intersection, back down to low after that, running another on my bar.