Quantcast

Outbound DH evo lights ?? Or ?

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Had one of those for a while...
_20231114_020825.JPG

Murdered out the branding. Decent wee light for the cash. But really quite floody so not really a light I'd want as my main road light and 900lm isn't really bright enough for fast/technical off road riding as a bar light.
It's fitted (above) to my commuter as a back up light really... My main commuter light being a dinky little 1300lm moon vortex pro. Commute is an hour each way and both journeys are in the dark this time of year. Half is through countryside the other half through towns & across the city. So the moon being more of a spot on a low setting for the urban part and the full boosted 1300lm for the unlit country roads is pretty ideal. the AliXpress light is used on the daylight setting (a thin strip of bright LEDs) as a to be seen light and a back up incase I ever need it.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Had one of those for a while... View attachment 203550
Murdered out the branding. Decent wee light for the cash. But really quite floody so not really a light I'd want as my main road light and 900lm isn't really bright enough for fast/technical off road riding as a bar light.
It's fitted (above) to my commuter as a back up light really... My main commuter light being a dinky little 1300lm moon vortex pro. Commute is an hour each way and both journeys are in the dark this time of year. Half is through countryside the other half through towns & across the city. So the moon being more of a spot on a low setting for the urban part and the full boosted 1300lm for the unlit country roads is pretty ideal. the AliXpress light is used on the daylight setting (a thin strip of bright LEDs) as a to be seen light and a back up incase I ever need it.
But did it come with a black rubber suit and a ball strapped in the mouth..if not then it was definitely not the name brand..it was a knock off..basically some Velcro and a cheap tipsy stripper pole.

two-one

Monkey
Dec 15, 2013
Eindhoven, the Netherlands
Anyone want to strapup and try these?
I actually just received it's bigger brother, 5 fat leds with two of those 21700 batteries behind them.
Haven't been able to plan a ride though, it's raining all week over here.
I did try to take it apart, and waterproof it isnt... The batterystatus indicators are just holes in the plastic the driverprint can shine through.

Attachments

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Mine survived 2 hours of riding in
torrential rain yesterday.
The same can't be said for the old Gopro hero 4 I had on the bike.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Went for a night ride for the first time in a long time last night, and discovered that I still hate the beam pattern and temp of the older Bright Eyes lights I have as much as the last time I used them. And another battery shit the bed, so I’m thinking I’ll invest in something nicer. The Outbound setup looks pretty great, maybe I could find something brighter but TBH beam pattern has always been what I value most—running the crappy Chinese lights confirmed it. Stoked on this thread and another over in the TGR forums for the reviews.

konifere

Monkey
Dec 20, 2021
Mine survived 2 hours of riding in
OX
O
XOtorrential rain yesterday.
The same can't be said for the old Gopro hero 4 I had on the bike.
did you try inserting an Excel spreadsheet in there ?

BTW I had chosen the "O"s so I win

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
wet fingers posted from phone

I don't even understand excel. never have

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Ordered a new Gloworm helmet light w/battery, remote, etc. and extra battery from Action LEDs today. Decent BF sale.

two-one

Monkey
Dec 15, 2013
Eindhoven, the Netherlands
I received that AliExpress light I was talking about with Gary. Closed the led-indicator holes with some clear tape, and off to the forest.
IMG_20231122_085645.jpg
The UI is way too simple. 1 spot straight ahead, or 4 leds in flood mode, or both. No low/medium setting. But that 1spot was just fine without blinding every car driving in the opposite direction. In the forest, those 4 floodlights were amazing... it really gave me the idea I could see what was going on in front of my front wheel.

Also got some 'Wurkkos' flashlights to try as helmet lights. TS21 and TS22 (tested). Very nice stuff. I just need to 3dprint a helmet mount that doesn't protrude as much, because the weight was noticable whenever I went over a drop or something.
IMG_20231121_214249.jpg

All-in-all, I think the biggest gamechanger out of all this is that all these lighting solutions work with those new 21700 batteries. They allow a lot more charge for a slightly bigger package than those 18650's.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Just to let you know. You were right about the poor sealing. After 4 solid days of being soaked morning and evening I got a puncture. Flipped the bike while fitting a new tube and when I righted the bike again. The on/off/mode button was unresponsive. I guess from water ingress. Dried out it's working fine again. But I wouldn't recommend relying on one of these as your sole light. It's an alternative /back up commuter light for me and I mainly use it on strip light setting with main LEDs off just to increase my visibility rather than to see with. But available as a back up/extra light if needed. for the crazy cheap price it's fine. Even if it doesn't last a full winter.

Last edited:

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
I'll clear tape mine too.
PS. The strobe on mine has all 3Leds full blast. Ie only ever used it filtering through standing traffic. No fucker has cut in on me. Infact quite a few drivers have moved over and given more room. Hahaha

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Reminds me of a friend who once told me "Airbags are a gimmick. Everyone would be a better driver if they'd have a crossbow inside the steering wheel".

Did you explain how he is a stupid asshole who does not recognize that there are other drivers on the road and it is not all about him? If he fucks up and takes out somebody else, is he willing to sit in front of the crossbow in recompense no questions asked, no grief given, just take a seat?

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Fist ride with the Outbound Evo and Hangover was tonight. I’m super impressed… they nailed the light color temp and beam pattern. We didn’t ride long, so I can’t speak to battery life. But overall, really pleased with the purchase. Night riding is actually fun again. So nice to just be able to “see” instead of constantly chasing the light patch with my eyes and/or head.

10/10 will bang again.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
Fist ride with the Outbound Evo and Hangover was tonight. I’m super impressed… they nailed the light color temp and beam pattern. We didn’t ride long, so I can’t speak to battery life. But overall, really pleased with the purchase. Night riding is actually fun again. So nice to just be able to “see” instead of constantly chasing the light patch with my eyes and/or head.

10/10 will bang again.
Hopefully not your head on a low hanging tree, of course!

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
First ride with my new gloworm, to have a spare or 2nd setup for my other bike. So nice to have a remote to turn the headlamp up and down as speed and aggro changes :)

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
A couple more notes about these lights... specifically the mount. I found the bar mount system to be very stable, better than most everything else I’ve owned or tried. Also great that it’s quick release, that was handy when we got back to the bar for beers so I could take the light inside with me. I recently had a commuter light stolen off my townie, apparently the transients in my town steal bike lights on the regular. Anycrap... I mounted the Hangover to my Forefront 2 with this little 3D printed doodad I found and it’s super low profile and doesn’t wiggle at all.

https://probike3d.com/products/smith...ccessory-mount

That mount is a standard GoPro interface, so it’s work with anything else using that standard.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
How does that helmet mount attach to your helmet? Is there some kind of threaded female receiver in the helmet or what? I'm looking for a similar mount that will avoid a permanent adhesive mount, to use on several different helmets. Lots of options with bulky straps but nothing I've seen is that clean.