Quantcast

***Pad Thai Tuesday***

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
first morning in the 30s here. good thing I dug out my fleece beanie last night. Did an hour on the spin bike last night. Suppposed to rain all the rest of the week so I have this feeling that I will put in many hours on the indoor torture machine

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Voted earlier via mail in ballot. After taking a gander at the weather I’m going to hop in one of our two electric cars to get to work today.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Mornin!

Cooked up some tasty mozzarella ravioli last night with wilted spinach, topped with a pumpkin tomato sauce and Asiago cheese. Quite tasty.

While all that was brewing I took the opportunity to bust out the wet stone and sharpen some of my kitchen knives. They are quite sharp, but I'm not sure I can do any better without stepping up to a higher grit stone.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Woot Tuesday!(?)

It seems that the coffee stealing lizard/bear has attacked again. No coffee here. Good thing that I thought ahead last week and stashed some in my office. Decision of the month right there.

I think that I need to 3M tape my monitors to the desk in this office. Literally every time I have a student in here helping out, they always screw around with them. I only have three rules for my office; don't adjust my chair, don't mess with my monitors and don't leave your coffee cups behind. I guess these are the three hardest things to not do.

Anyways! Time to go poop, get some work done and then go for another donkey bike ride tonight. Need to not be lazy and cram rides in before it snows.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
LMFAO omg!

I ran at the track for breakfast. 60 minutes, 8.6 miles, 6:59 avg pace. That was hard just two days after a 21 miler. :dead: 18 days until my marathon.

I hit the local voting hole en route to work. I was surprised at how many people were there. Election Day meant light traffic for the drive in.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
I could use some Thai massage pad right now. :brows:
Morning! Group night ride is going to be a chilly one today. These temp and humidity swings have been crazy.

Greyhound

Trail Rat
Jul 8, 2002
Alamance County, NC
Good Morning!!

I always thought it was Taco Tuesday. I'm all for embracing new cultures and whatnot, but don't be messin' with a time-honored tradition.

Played some music for a few hours with the lads last night, and had a few Scotches.

Montana rider

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2005
Our biking season is shut down with early snow but your grizzly bear PSA for hunting season and a new recommendation for pepper spray use (further below)

https://www.grindtv.com/wildlife/grizzly-bear-attacks-hunter-ultimately-thwarted-empty-can-bear-spray/

A Montana hunter returning Sunday morning to the area in which he wounded an elk the night before was surprised by an attacking grizzly bear that apparently found it first.

Joe Kiedrowski of Billings, Montana, was on a hunting trip with five others near Tom Miner in Park County when he shot an elk Saturday night.

Since the animal didn’t go straight down, Kiedrowski decided to return to camp and search for the elk the next morning, according to KTVQ. Kiedrowski was alone when he encountered the grizzly bear.

He had just made his way through the brush and the fresh fallen snow to a clearing when he noticed the grizzly bear coming around a tree 30 feet away.

"The next thing I know I can see him opening his mouth, and the picture I'll never forget is canines about an inch long or so coming toward me," Kiedrowski told KTVQ.

He was bitten in the right wrist and sustained other injuries as he fought off the grizzly. He then fell to the ground and rolled onto his stomach to use his backpack as a shield, but the bear backed off into the bush and gave Kiedrowski time to deploy his bear spray.

“I got really quiet because I knew it wasn’t over yet," he told KTVQ. "You could hear him huffing over behind where he originated from…and then all of a sudden it came around the exact same way, but this time I was actually ready for him."

Kiedrowski covered the bear's face in bear spray, and even got some on his own. The grizzly bear backed away but wasn't finished. It charged a third time.

Unfortunately, Kiedrowski had used all the bear spray, so he threw the empty can at the grizzly, prompting it to retreat for good into the bushes.

With his rifle at the ready, Kiedrowski made his way to the top of a ridge and called his brother, who instructed him on how to fix a tourniquet around his arm.

He then made his way to a road where a ranch hand picked him up and drove him a few miles to the main road. There, he met up with Mike and Ryan Mershon from his hunting party.

Kiedrowski was treated in Livingston, Montana, before being transferred to St. Vincent Healthcare in Billings. He sustained injuries to his right arm, wrist and hand, and a bruise to the side of the head. He had deep cuts on his wrist and dislocated carpal bones in his hand.

He told KTVQ that he was thankful to be alive, and thankful for the bear spray.

"That's why I'm here today," he told KTVQ. "Honestly, if I would have used my side arm, I don't know if he would have stopped."

+++++

UDAP offers three sizes of bear spray: a can with 7.9 ounces of repellent that sprays for approximately 4 seconds; a 9.2-ounce can that lasts for 5.4 seconds; and a hefty 13.4-ounce can with a continuous spray of 7 seconds. Based upon his research of bear attacks, Bartlebaugh says four seconds is way too short. He asserts that bigger cans, which can forcefully project a spray with greater carry, provide a better cushion.

“My recommendation is that when a charging bear gets within 60 feet, the user should start spraying for 2 to 3 seconds so a cloud is 30 feet out when the bear gets there and enters the cloud. You don’t worry about aiming at the face, the eyes or nose. You just get that cloud out there. In many incidents previously reported in newspapers, bears that encountered the fog would break off their charge," Bartlebaugh says.

He is an absolute stickler on this point: "People going into the backcountry or any area where grizzlies live need to be taught to use bear spray faster when it approaches and not wait for the bear to get close. I'm not talking about spraying when it's 200 yards away. I'm talking about 50 yards away or closer when it is coming toward you. Just spray downward and get the cloud of spray between you and the bear. Don't wait to spray the bear in the eyes and nose like you would when using pepper spray on a parking lot mugger."

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Morning Monkeys.

32 on morning walkies, brrr. Drove in because I have PT at noon, should be interesting. At least no rain expected today. Tomorrow on the other hand.

Continuing winterization on the R-Pod, in fact almost done.

Electrical supplier finally fount the 4-4-4-6 SER I ordered three weeks ago; they have had it since the 23rd. Picked it up this morning so they couldn't lose it again. Cut the crap out of a finger pulling it (siding nail protruding through sheathing). Now wiring supply end. Might actually be finished today.

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
im more of a panang or massaman kinda guy.

woke up to 4". didnt shovel. pretty sure my candy ass roommates will bitch since i was the first to leave.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Akumal Caribe, in one of the bungalows.i have never been, any neato tips/recommendations?
Ooooo..... If you've never been, do the tourist scene. Seriously, there is a reason for it. If you go back, you'll figure out what smaller things you want to do next time. Take the ferry to Cozumel, and do a snorkeling or diving tour. Do a float in one of the Cenotes. Definitely go to Tulum (the ruins). DO NOT pay full price for any trinkets, trips, or cab rides. With few exceptions, prices on everything down there are negotiable. Be prepared to wager hard, haggling is a blood sport down there. No matter what sob story you get about someones grandma hand making shit by candle light you get, if you pay 50% of asking price you're still getting hosed. Eat all the food, drink all the drinks. Beware of the bullshit "eco-friendly" sunscreen, while necessary to keep places like the cenotes "clean", it doesn't fucking work hardly at all. I applied that crap with religious fervor last time we were down there and still burned terribly. Have fun. It's very gringofied, but I still love that part of Mexico.