Quantcast

Palmer Comeback

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
It'll be fun to see Palm around at the races, and maybe...just maybe putting on a show. People dissed him when he said he wanted to make the Olympics in boarder cross and he did..so who knows what he can do. He's always been anle to do things people said he wouldn't be able to do.

As for Nico...i seem to recall him being in front of guys who had the last name of Minnaar, atherton, neethling...

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
be cool to see palm & nico mixing it up again. the battle of the elder statesmen would be just as intense as the one for the top of the box (realistically assuming he's not going to be up there with the fast kids). definitely inspiring for we riders of similar vintage. should be a fun season.

Akula_7

Monkey
Nov 15, 2004
not sure why you lumped rennie in there....he hasn't had a result in a while and has gotten a ways off track.....heard him and his beer muscles got a little lippy with roskopp in vegas and lost his job by the way.......:brow:
So being ranked 8th in the world and despite some personal problems that are well personal, he still manged that and a WC podium in his home race! "Off-Track"? Only when the racing is finished me-thinks.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
It'll be fun to see Palm around at the races, and maybe...just maybe putting on a show. People dissed him when he said he wanted to make the Olympics in boarder cross and he did..so who knows what he can do. He's always been anle to do things people said he wouldn't be able to do.

As for Nico...i seem to recall him being in front of guys who had the last name of Minnaar, atherton, neethling...
Or when he wanted to make a supercross main...and he did. USA Today labeled him the world's best athlete for a reason. When he puts his mind to something, he is a force to be reckoned with.

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
Or when he wanted to make a supercross main...and he did. USA Today labeled him the world's best athlete for a reason. When he puts his mind to something, he is a force to be reckoned with.
Sooooooooo true. Personally I'd love to see him try the Indy Car thing out, that would be truly interesting. I know he's talked about it for years.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Palmer is the man. I'll never forget the Big Bear world cup where Palmer trounced Nico and the rest of the field. Can't wait to see him out on the circuit!

klunky

Turbo Monkey
Oct 17, 2003
Scotland
I really hope he does the Fort Bill race if any of this is true.
Can you comment any further on this Transcend?

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
It's all true. He is in the process of sorting out how to qualify for World Cups now (20pt rule). Either he will get a USAC slot, or will travel a bit to get some points early in the year. He is currently at a race with Greg Minnaar (no points) getting back into the swing of things.

MDJ

Monkey
Dec 15, 2005
San Jose, CA
Now that the UCI banned skinsuits he better comes back! After all, he started that MX-gear-gangsta-sh!t!!! :imstupid:
Don't forget, just after everyone followed his lead and switched to MX gear, Palmer showed up at Mammoth in a black skinsuit. Maybe he thought 2009 was actually going to be the year of the skinsuit before it was banned.?

luiz carlos

Monkey
Apr 15, 2002
Brazil-Rio de Janeiro
Two races where Palmer can get his points...same date....probally he is going to Chile...

20 - 22.3 American Continental Championships Santiago - CHI
21 - 22.3 Oceania Continental Championships Thredbo - AUS

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
My guess would be that USAC will give him a slot. Also as for continental's in chile, there is 3 big races there in 3 weeks, all UCI. If anyone needs to travel, now you know where to go.

luiz carlos

Monkey
Apr 15, 2002
Brazil-Rio de Janeiro
Hahah, I think your the one on the drugs buddy!
What is the problem to ask ????
Everybody says...He is not on top for personal reasons and blabla.
What so....He lost his father/mother...he is on depression...

For your information...I'm from Brazil...and there were a WC racing here in 2006.
If you understand me.

No more comments.

Akula_7

Monkey
Nov 15, 2004

For your information...I'm from Brazil...and there were a WC racing here in 2006.
If you understand me.

No more comments.
Hahah...easy horse! It's Rennie's business and no-one elses....this ain't celebrity land...and we don't have any right to know anything about anybody. Just cos you have a keyboard and the Net doesn't mean that Rennie owes you any explanations!

Never knew they had a WC in Brazil..no way....whoa!

Last edited:

Akula_7

Monkey
Nov 15, 2004
Ok...so...next time Rennie had a bad result...don't say for personal reasons.
End !
I never said Rennie had bad results...or bad results for personal reasons......I said Rennie is ranked 8th in the world and got 2nd at Canberra...while going through some **** and being over bicycles. Just stating facts...not gossip mongering! It's only bicycles man, it's not even important!

dondon

Monkey
To all the naysayers I was lucky enough to be at the Champery race for Nico's return and Sam's miracle run. For those of you that say a result in qualifying does not count for anything you are wrong. With the overall WC points up for grabs everyone goes hard for Quali's. (except maybe matti that day..but thats another story) Nico qualifying fifth is nothing short of amazing. Had he not been held up by having to pass two riders on a narrow track that had no room for passing, he would have qualified 2nd or 3rd. This on a steeper and more technical track that he had ever ridden. Never mind his rustiness from retirement. I literally saw his comfort and speed on his bike improve exponentially over the few days. The final result was a joke, it matters not where he finished, look at everyone else's result (who qualied quick) there except Sam.

Back to Palmer though, his absence from DH will have been 10 years next year. But his return to DH goals are not the same as Nico's were. Palmers goal is 2010 winter Olympics, racing DH in the summer is just another way to get there. Palmer is 100% racer in head and soul so it will definitely be interesting to see what he can accomplish.

Last edited:

Akula_7

Monkey
Nov 15, 2004
To all the naysayers I was lucky enough to be at the Champery race for Nico's return and Sam's miracle run. For those of you that say a result in qualifying does not count for anything you are wrong. With the overall WC points up for grabs everyone goes hard for Quali's. (except maybe matti that day..but thats another story) Nico qualifying fifth is nothing short of amazing. Had he not been held up by having to pass two riders on a narrow track that had no room for passing, he would have qualified 2nd or 3rd. This on a steeper and more technical track that he had ever ridden. Never mind his rustiness from retirement. I literally saw his comfort and speed on his bike improve exponentially over the few days. The final result was a joke, it matters not where he finished, look at everyone else's result (who qualied quick) there except Sam.

Back to Palmer though, his absence from DH will have been 10 years next year. But his return to DH goals are not the same as Nico's were. Palmers goal is 2010 winter Olympics, racing DH in the summer is just another way to get there. Palmer is 100% racer in head and soul so it will definitely be interesting to see what he can accomplish.

Old Palmer and Nico are alot more similar then outward personality would tell.. Nico is just about gonna wrap up the IRC Rally series here in Europe... and it doesn't need to be said how easy Palmer crosses from sport to sport. I feel pretty wrapped to have both Athletes compete in a sport I love. I got to race "against" Nico last year in Champéry and to be able to compete in the same race as Palmer too, well that's two things I never thought would happen when I started DH.......... True sporting legends!

ekozy39

Monkey
Apr 27, 2005
It's all true. He is in the process of sorting out how to qualify for World Cups now (20pt rule). Either he will get a USAC slot, or will travel a bit to get some points early in the year. He is currently at a race with Greg Minnaar (no points) getting back into the swing of things.
JDD said he is in street clothes, so he might not be trying to qualify for the Jeep race after all.

leprechaun

Turbo Monkey
Apr 17, 2004
SLC,Ut
Palm is going to bring back "Bear Trap" pedals.

Love those skinny fork legs, narrow bars!!! The number plate barely fits between the brake levers!!

Dwdrums00

Monkey
Mar 31, 2007
I know this doesn't come to much of a surprise but, I met Plamer at interbike and he was a F'in A$$Hole!!!!!! This doesn't negate the fact that he has skills but it still sucks being that I WAS a long time fan of his. All and all I really don't think he will be able to touch the top 15 WC riders.

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
I know this doesn't come to much of a surprise but, I met Plamer at interbike and he was a F'in A$$Hole!!!!!! This doesn't negate the fact that he has skills but it still sucks being that I WAS a long time fan of his. All and all I really don't think he will be able to touch the top 15 WC riders.
i met palm @ interbike one year, and he was totally cool. we stopped him to ogle a custom metalflake stars & stripes fsr he just picked up & he was totally accommodating. different ways to interpret his personality i suppose, but he seemed genuine enough.

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
HELL YEAH!

I haven't read the whole thread, but I just saw a post about this over at DIRTmag. I can't tell you how awesome this is... even if he's just out there to have fun - doesn't matter to me where he picks up points, or if he podiums, it's just going to be rad to see him competing in World Cups and other major races again. Palmer brings so much to the sport - 09' is gonna be SWEET!

Rip it up Palmer!

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana

If you understand me.

No more comments.
It was drugs and alcohol. Do an internet search.

ekozy39

Monkey
Apr 27, 2005
Yup, apparently he said forget it just after practice ended. Doesn't want to get hurt just before the next Snowboard WC in 3 weeks. It's all about the Olympics right now for him.
he probably realized he wasn't ready, and didn't think he would get it. so rather than not qualify again..
if it was all about Olympics why is he gonna even try to race WC DH, that's way gnarlier than the SLO Jeep DS course.
I'm sure he could find a 1000 better (safer) ways to get into shape for the Olympics than racing DH on a WC level.

I'm not sure it's possible for him to be all about the Olympics in 2009, like your saying he is, and push the limits required to make the finals at a DH WC event without having injury be a risk. I don't just mean racing in the summer, but the winter training required to get his timing and mtb skills up to par.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
he probably realized he wasn't ready, and didn't think he would get it. so rather than not qualify again..
if it was all about Olympics why is he gonna even try to race WC DH, that's way gnarlier than the SLO Jeep DS course.
I'm sure he could find a 1000 better (safer) ways to get into shape for the Olympics than racing DH on a WC level.

I'm not sure it's possible for him to be all about the Olympics in 2009, like your saying he is, and push the limits required to make the finals at a DH WC event without having injury be a risk. I don't just mean racing in the summer, but the winter training required to get his timing and mtb skills up to par.
The next WC snowboard event is in 3 weeks. He has to do well at them to qualify for the US team (although I think he already made preliminary selection). After this snowboard season is done (spring), he can race WC DH and have time to heal if anything happens.

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
with the new [normal, non fancy] pins, they actually work fine with 510 shoes.

of course they are better options out there, but doubt it will hold him back. unlike when they had those **** pins, and hill, rennie were still using cullys even tho they were sponsored by CB.