Quantcast

Paris Mt DH Race Updates

brado1

Monkey
Jan 2, 2008
G'Vegas SC
Common I need more Paris Mtn DH Updates!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Here is a Map of where to go , what's going on & where there will be plenty of signs out there to guide you around - but if you're not familiar Paris Mt. below is a map.

schedule as it stands right now:

according to the Ranger gates open ~ 6-7am
7:50AM volunteers Morning Meeting @ shelter 5 & 6 (see attached map) Find check in booth for info
8:30 Registration and Check-in at Staging area
8:30 Pre-runs Begin shuttling Riders & Bikes
12 Noon volunteersMeeting @ shelter 5 & 6 (see attached map) Find check in booth for info
12:30 Racers Meeting at Staging area
1:00 Race starts at no more then a hundred riders best of two runs.
4:30 - 5:00 hope to be done

Volunteers
meet 7:50am for Morning Shift Parking - Course during Pre-Runs
12:00 Noon for Late Shift - less Parking Course Marshalls, General help, Timing and Staging riders, loading bike shuttle, some traffic management up top and clean up post race.

each volunteer gets a shirt (if still available) and a raffle ticket for a couple of prizes set aside for just volunteers.

we have plenty of refreshments, but please bring a lunch.

look forward to seeing Y'all there :thumbsup:

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
Someone please give me directions to Barleys Taproom from hwy 25
This is from HWY 25 in Travelers Rest SC right out side of Greenville.

http://www.mapquest.com/maps?1c=Travelers+Rest&1s=SC&1a=%5B162-164%5D+N+Highway+25&1z=29690&1y=US&1l=34.964&1g=-82.43145&1v=STREET&2c=Greenville&2s=SC&2a=25+West+Washington&r=s

Start out going South on N US-25/US-25 N

3: US-25 S becomes US-25 BR S. 6.9 mi Map Avoid

4: Turn LEFT onto BUNCOMBE ST/US-25 BR S/SC-183 E. Continue to follow SC-183 E. 0.5 mi Map Avoid

5: Turn RIGHT onto N RICHARDSON ST. 0.1 mi Map Avoid

6: Turn LEFT onto W WASHINGTON ST. 0.1 mi Map Avoid

7: End at 25 W Washington St Greenville, SC 29601-2734 Map

Estimated Time: 16 minutes Estimated Distance: 9.64 miles

Hope this helps,
Cecil

Last edited:

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
I'm probably gonna get flamed for this, but I have a collegiate XC race in Georgia that day.
Zac said there were no Collegiate races this weekend..... Guess not. You really don't want to miss this race man......

To All:
Course is all taped up and ready to go, thanks to (JD, Eric, Matt, and Ellen!!!). Feel free to go walk the race course Saturady. Remember no Bikes on Saturdays. Rangers will get you!!!!! See you all a Barleys Saturday night..

Cecil

brado1

Monkey
Jan 2, 2008
G'Vegas SC
Thanks to All who came out - over the next couple of days i'll be putting together a "Lessons Learned" list; so if you have any comments, ideas or suggestions of what would have made this thing run more smoothly, please shoot me an email brado1@aol.com
(more parking, More Buses, Food vendors....etc. give me your thoughts-thanks) plus we have to get with the Park to get their assessment of how we did. Was amazed at the feedback from the riders and spectators alike. very positive.

yeah this thing was huge, had no idea it would have been this BIG. rider field and spectator - It was certainly bigger then our little ol' Group. That said the small army of volunteers we did had did a fantastic job and thanks to those you lent a helping hand or two.

thanks again
brad

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Repost that I thought needed to be in this thread from DrKenans Thread:

I want to personally thank all the riders and volunteers that came out to the 1st Paris Mt. DH race. The event was a great success for us and Paris Mt State Park. We had over 80+ racers and about 4 to 5 times that in spectators up and down the Mountain. The vibe I got from the spectators was that they loved it and watching everyone. They were glad to see an event like this in the park that they could come out and watch. The Rangers were also happy how well the event went off and already want to meet to talk about a race next year and what we can do to make it better for all. This race was a learning curve for the park, as we really didn’t know how it was going to turn out. The shuttle was a little slow for most and we know next year what we need to do to make it better. As far as I know we only had one really bad crash, were someone had to be helped out. Garrit will be ok. I talked with him last night as he laughed about what happened with a sign of pain in his voice. The Doctors said he just needs to rest his shoulder for a while and will recover fine.

Once again thanks to all that came out and to all our great sponsors for helping us make this event happen. We should have all the Race Results up on the web site very soon for all to see, plus lots of pictures. I did talk with Robert from Kinetic Images and he said he got a lot of great Race Shots, so you will want to visit his site as well.
www.parismountaindh.com
www.kinetic-images.com

Thanks,
Cecil Linder

Metal Dude

Turbo Monkey
Apr 7, 2006
Smackdonough, GA
Thanks to all who put this event on. It was one of the best races in the SE I've been to in many years, if not ever. The course was really fun and a good race.
The preparty was really cool and at a classy joint with lots of prizes in the raffle. The Event ran well and the EFFORT put forth in the event was great.
That's what makes a race to me, the Effort that it's promoters put in! Cecil and
the guys put in months of prep. for this event and it showed! Great payout and prizes- I think pretty much everyone was Stoked! Thanks again!

rewster

Monkey
Feb 3, 2007
charlotte nc
good race. shuttling situation could have been a little better planned, but other than that no major complaints. my bike got a nasty shuttle mark on the downtube, but it's from neckers bike so it's ok....chippin' paint, shavin' miligrams

drkenan

anti-dentite
Oct 1, 2006
west asheville
good race. shuttling situation could have been a little better planned, but other than that no major complaints. my bike got a nasty shuttle mark on the downtube, but it's from neckers bike so it's ok....chippin' paint, shavin' miligrams
That Sunday's too darn purdy to scratch! :D

cranberry

Monkey
Dec 30, 2005
Waaaay out there
....chippin' paint, shavin' miligrams

Oh...so THATS why you were 10 seconds faster than me.....I need more chips in my paint.

Thing that I think should change...
I noticed that quite a few riders were leaving up to 2 seconds before the timer actually reached zero. I know this is a grassroots race, and you guys were working with minimal timing capabilities, but maybe the guys at the top should radio down to add time to the riders runs that left early. I dunno..maybe a 5 or 10 second penalty for leaving early? I dont think it would have changed my results...(old slow guy) but it might deter some of the "advantage" that went on out of the gate.

Last edited:

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
I noticed that quite a few riders were leaving up to 2 seconds before the timer actually reached zero. I know this is a grassroots race, and you guys were working with minimal timing capabilities, but maybe the guys at the top should radio down to add time to the riders runs that left early. I dunno..maybe a 5 or 10 second penalty for leaving early? I dont think it would have changed my results...(old slow guy) but it might deter some of the "advantage" that went on out of the gate.
Wow, I didn't know that was going on. This was the first to hear of it. I wish I would have known and I would have talked to the timming guys in time. Well another Note for next years race!!!

Thanks for the input,
Cecil

drkenan

anti-dentite
Oct 1, 2006
west asheville
I actually mentioned that to the timing guy but he didn't care at all. There were definitely several people 10 feet into the trail when the clock reached 0. And then there were others that were starting 4 feet behind the start line. Whatever works I guess...

rewster

Monkey
Feb 3, 2007
charlotte nc

yeah, i watched the guy in front of me roll out 3 seconds early the first run, 1 second early the 2nd. just more incentive to try to catch him :biggrin:

wanabe

Monkey
Mar 16, 2007
Wow, I didn't know that was going on. This was the first to hear of it. I wish I would have known and I would have talked to the timming guys in time. Well another Note for next years race!!!

Thanks for the input,
Cecil
Yeah, A couple of us in AM was booing one guy for going too soon. Dude was about ten feet from the line with a running start and still got out the box about 3 sec too soon.

Reguardless the race was fun. I will be back!

Any one got any pics?

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Yeah, A couple of us in AM was booing one guy for going too soon. Dude was about ten feet from the line with a running start and still got out the box about 3 sec too soon.

Reguardless the race was fun. I will be back!

Any one got any pics?
Just posted the link Brad posted on the other thread in the DH Forum page. Thought all might want to see.

Cecil

Jun 11, 2004
Big thanks to all involved! Great job!

This event totally EXCEEDED my expectations!

About a week before the event I told Cecil I felt like this race was going to be something BIG........thinking like 45 or 50 riders........but 80 plus! WOW! And a ton of spectators.... felt like the US Open coming down some parts of the track!

So what is "The Rule" exactly when it comes to the start?

I'm still kind of a newb to racing (this is my second season), but I thought that you are supposed to be at a dead stop with your front tire on the line to start?

I'm just curious.......I was up at the top to cheer some of my buddies on and I saw people rolling up to the line in several different race classes.

Is it up to the person at the start gate or is there a "universal standard" for starting a DH race?

Guard

Monkey
Apr 21, 2004
Wilkes "By God" County
not sure how many guys started without a plenty but we did add to one riders time. the top called in and stated that a rider started 5-10 seconds early so we added accordingly. I'll take the blame on this. I briefed the timing guys at the top but did not specifically specify to them to radio down if guys jumped nor did I tell them that riders shouldn't have a running start.:plthumbsdown:

I big shout out to Cecil and the SORBA team for putting on an excellent well run event!! If was awesome to see that many spectators and riders!:cheers:

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
I'll take the blame on this. I briefed the timing guys at the top but did not specifically specify to them to radio down if guys jumped nor did I tell them that riders shouldn't have a running start.:plthumbsdown:
You should not take the blame for anything man.
You even volunteered to sit out the race and just do timing to make sure everything ran smooth, which it did. And you even took the time out to help some goofy blond jive turkey change out a coil spring in the meantime.
This sport needs more people like you.
Its not your fault a few people tried to cheat.
Honestly, the only one I saw was in the Pro/Ex class and it probaly just set a bad example for other guys to copy. Nobody was surprised though that this guy got a running start. He's THAT GUY!:biggrin:

Mulestar

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2007
in the dirt
You even volunteered to sit out the race and just do timing to make sure everything ran smooth, which it did. And you even took the time out to help some goofy blond jive turkey change out a coil spring in the meantime.
Honestly, the only one I saw was in the Pro/Ex class and it probaly just set a bad example for other guys to copy. Nobody was surprised though that this guy got a running start. He's THAT GUY!:biggrin:

Agreed. I didn't see anyone in elite jump the start, but it would probably be a good idea to tell people exactly where to have their front wheel when they start. Last week at brevard Chris had a big flat rock set up to specify where to have your wheel at the start. Might be a good idea for next time.

I see so much potential in Paris Mountain State Park these days. When I started mountain biking the only trail in the park you were allowed to ride was a 1 mile flat fire road. Now it offers a trail system that lets upstate riders skip the weekly trips northward, or just fit in a ride when they couldn't before. Hopefully the park will see the visitors mtbs bring to the park and continue to let it grow. Maybe a rider-built one-way DH trail could be in the future? If that were the case, this could be the best venue in the southeast hosting races right now. Great job everyone.

For all the racers that didn't get a chance to check out the rest of the trails in the park, go back and check them out! Its worlds better than you'd ever expect out of Greenville!

Jun 11, 2004
I'll take the blame on this.
Survey says: X

Matt, I'm gonna have to agree with JR on this one!

You even volunteered to sit out the race and just do timing to make sure everything ran smooth, which it did.

For all the racers that didn't get a chance to check out the rest of the trails in the park, go back and check them out! Its worlds better than you'd ever expect out of Greenville!
K-A-N-U-G-A = come get your 2 wheel drift on!

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Yah, like Dave and JR said. If anything I will take the blame. I asked the guys up top to take care of things and if I didn't make it clear enough I was the one that was wrong. It was both of thier first time doing something like that. I personly thought they did a great job.