Quantcast

Perfect DH Pants? (for me)

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
I went to buy a pair of new TLD sprint or whatever they call their basic dh pant a month ago and they were out of my size. Ended up purchasing these figuring they would be good for winter trail rides and very glad I did. I wouldn't wear them for any hot DH days but for cooler/wet weather they really impressed me. Rode a week in New England last month with them...

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
You can also take a pair of cheap synthetic fiber hiking pants, chuck them in a large ziplok bag and pour in a bottle of Nikwax until everything is saturated and you have a pair of cheap waterproof pants.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
When it is wet here your clothing choice simply determines whether you want to be soaking wet from rain, or your sweat. Dryness is for later. Breathable fabric only makes a difference when it is dry and you use the same layer for warmth and don't want to stew in your own juices. That being said my Fox jacket is actually the best wet weather jacket I have ever owned for any use.
this became particularly clear to me on a winter ski camping trip about 15 years ago. I had my ski clothes, and my camp clothes. In an effort to save weight, my camping buddies only had the clothes on their back: wicking base layer, fleece mid-layer, goretex. The end result was that when we got to camp, they were soaked from sweat and falling in the snow now and again. It got pretty cold that night (somewhere around -4°F). They were getting hypothermic and basically had to stay in their sleeping bags. The end result was I had to make dinner, clean up and prep water for the next day while they tried not to die.

I don't own anything with Gore-Tex anymore. Or at least nothing I paid full-price for. I was looking at a pair of the Fizik winter shoes a while back. They had a eVent membrane in them. They "updated" the shoe this year, and it now has a Goretex membrane (and a zip on the cuff to make them easier to get on and off). They're $100 more. for a downgrade in breathability. Fvck Gore....

You can also take a pair of cheap synthetic fiber hiking pants, chuck them in a large ziplok bag and pour in a bottle of Nikwax until everything is saturated and you have a pair of cheap waterproof pants.
I hadn't thought of that. I might just give it a try... I have a pair of MEC pants made from Schoeller fabric that I got on a deeeeep discount, and had tailored into riding pants. Adding a good dose of DWR to them could make them boss for this cross-over season.

Last edited:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
this became particularly clear to me on a winter ski camping trip about 15 years ago. I had my ski clothes, and my camp clothes. In an effort to save weight, my camping buddies only had the clothes on their back: wicking base layer, fleece mid-layer, goretex. The end result was that when we got to camp, they were soaked from sweat and falling in the snow now and again. It got pretty cold that night (somewhere around -4°F). They were getting hypothermic and basically had to stay in their sleeping bags. The end result was I had to make dinner, clean up and prep water for the next day while they tried not to die.

I don't own anything with Gore-Tex anymore. Or at least nothing I paid full-price for. I was looking at a pair of the Fizik winter shoes a while back. They had a eVent membrane in them. They "updated" the shoe this year, and it now has a Goretex membrane (and a zip on the cuff to make them easier to get on and off). They're $100 more. for a downgrade in breathability. Fvck Gore....

I hadn't thought of that. I might just give it a try... I have a pair of MEC pants made from Schoeller fabric that I got on a deeeeep discount, and had tailored into riding pants. Adding a good dose of DWR to them could make them boss for this cross-over season.
I waterproofed a pair of board shorts for riding in wet conditions. Did a great job of keeping my ass dry from wheel spray. That kind of non stretch nylon material seems to work well for DWR treatment. I tried the same with a pair or normal riding shorts and it didn't work nearly as well.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Would like to try this stuff. I guess it can stain the material but works well. Most of my clothes have bleach spots and grease stains so no problem there.

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
Wouldn't that result in a water and sweat proof pant?

I for one rely on SympaTex. Non toxic, no clogging membrane and bombproof.

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
I use Nikwax washing detergent and the dwr spray on my GoreTex hiking jacket. I thought one should not use impregnation on the inside of tech gear coz it will block the sweat transfer as well. Happy to stand corrected

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I use Nikwax washing detergent and the dwr spray on my GoreTex hiking jacket. I thought one should not use impregnation on the inside of tech gear coz it will block the sweat transfer as well. Happy to stand corrected
I've read that, too, and my GoreTex Pro Arc'teryx shell is noticeably less breathable (but infinitely more water resistant once more) after washing it (and drying it twice per their instructions) with tech wash, thus on all surfaces.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I am talking about applying DWR to regular old synthetic clothing to make them water resistant, not applying DWR to an already waterproof garment. In other words making sketchy gear for sketchy dudes.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia

Just ordered some of these for muddy days. Cheap enough, will see how they go

View attachment 203265
My AliExpress pants showed up. Pretty sure they're legit Fox Defend pants (or at least from the same factory). They look and feel identical to the ones I've seen in stores. Fit fine, not too long for my corgi stump legs, a little tight around my non-ballerina spec calves but thats usual.

As @kidwoo says - these things would do fuck all in a crash compared to moto pants (or DH pants from 10+ years ago) but for trail rides in NZ and Tasmania these will be mint more warmth than shorts, and for standing around on marshal/course sweep duties.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
My AliExpress pants showed up. Pretty sure they're legit Fox Defend pants (or at least from the same factory). They look and feel identical to the ones I've seen in stores. Fit fine, not too long for my corgi stump legs, a little tight around my non-ballerina spec calves but thats usual.

As @kidwoo says - these things would do fuck all in a crash compared to moto pants (or DH pants from 10+ years ago) but for trail rides in NZ and Tasmania these will be mint more warmth than shorts, and for standing around on marshal/course sweep duties.
hope they keep you warm and aren't sponges

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
Defend won't stop any water beyond fog. I have the Ranger Water 3L pants and they're garbage - wet out in knees and ass in the rain within a few blocks, before I even get to the park.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Defend won't stop any water beyond fog. I have the Ranger Water 3L pants and they're garbage - wet out in knees and ass in the rain within a few blocks, before I even get to the park.
Ah well, fingers crossed they're warmer and more bug resistant than shorts at least.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
I've got some Fox, Pearl Izumi, TLD and capri pants (in america that's a 3/4 pant) from Sombrio (not that they're in business anymore, but that is a very useful "pant"). They are all lighter weight, but waterproof and stretchy and all that stuff. Probably not the most crash resistant, like my old school Royal DH pants, that Toodles probably had (which were awesome, btw) But these pants have way more flexibility and breathability. The Pearl fit me the best. But the others are decent too. Def try before you buy. There are some strength and weaknesses. Some don't fit knee pads very well. Other's don't move very well and pull down with every pedal stroke. There's one pant that has a huge crotch that likes to catch on my saddle. Ya know? Depends on what you're trying to solve for, I suppose. Jeans can def work. I've done it. Just make sure they're $300 designer jeans from some place you've never hear of :D

Edit: I have also had good luck in the snow/mud/wet with just thick wool ski socks, knee pads and long shorts. YMMV.

Last edited:

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
bump.
I know we're going into warm weather soon, but these are the only pants I bought that I didn't return. Good price too.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
bump.
I know we're going into warm weather soon, but these are the only pants I bought that I didn't return. Good price too.
That's tempting