Quantcast

@@@Phuckit Friderp@@@

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Looks like they decided to shut down I-5 in Seattle this weekend, and the tunnel, and the trains while there are two baseball games and a stupid soccer game. I don't need to use I-5 to go ride but I suspect traffic will be entirely fucked for half the state so I may just be trapped at home.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Stonkingly sunny blue sky no wind Sat AM here, but it hosed down overnight to the point of waking people up so all is wet. My bike is spring clean perfect and ready for action though, maybe tomorrow, I don’t really want a mudfest first time out. A bit of driving range action I think today. Also my kids want to buy a leash for one of our cats who always tries to follow us on walks which I think is a terrible idea, but the wife is into it. :rolleyes: Maybe it’ll mean n-1 cats when the dumbass subsequently wanders off and can’t remember how to get home. He’s not the smartest cat…

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
A friend asked me to send him my resume as his company is looking for someone like me. I did but there could be some complications. Then I found out they don't test for marijuana anymore.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
that feeling when it's almost 10pm and you go out to shoot your paintball gun behind some bears at the fence to make some noise and scare them away.......and realize the co2 cartridge you had sitting on your desk had already been used and an empty spring loader paintball gun just plops a paintball about 2 ft in front of where you're standing while a 350lb mama and cub just stand there looking at you

amirite?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
that feeling when it's almost 10pm and you go out to shoot your paintball gun behind some bears at the fence to make some noise and scare them away.......and realize the co2 cartridge you had sitting on your desk had already been used and an empty spring loader paintball gun just plops a paintball about 2 ft in front of where you're standing while a 350lb mama and cub just stand there looking at you

amirite?
Bears either run away or look at you like a teenager rolling their eyes. Not too different from the tweakers that like to get in cars around here. Both will also shit in your yard or pass out from overindulgence.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
tell me more about bears

They often do neither of those after getting a few airbnb meals :rofl:

Every black bear I have ever seen either runs away when they see your or completely ignores your existence and keeps on doing whatever they were doing, whether that is eating berries, garbage or the contents of the grease trap on your grill.

People in my old neighborhood used to try fireworks, worked for bit, they you got to the point where you could hit them in the ass with a roman candle and they would ignore it as they were treating your compost bin like the local hillbilly buffet.

Last edited:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Every black bear I have ever seen either runs away when they see your or completely ignores your existence and keeps on doing whatever they were doing, whether that is eating berries, garbage or the contents of the grease trap on your grill.
That's awsome.

I've seen one knock down the front door of a house and quite a few rip the doors off a car to get to a cooler.

In most cases, where a population isn't entirely humanized, what you describe is exactly true. But look up the term 'park bears' and trust me when I say most of the ones around here are transforming from what you describe into 'park bears'.

And we're both talking about black bears. Grizzlies, do none of the above. Zero fucks given regardless of human presence.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
That's awsome.

I've seen one knock down the front door of a house and quite a few rip the doors off a car to get to a cooler.

In most cases, where a population isn't entirely humanized, what you describe is exactly true. But look up the term 'park bears' and trust me when I say most of the ones around here are transforming from what you describe into 'park bears'.

And we're both talking about black bears. Grizzlies, do none of the above. Zero fucks given regardless of human presence.

Black bears will fuck up your property, but I have little concern over my personal well being. Grizzlies are another matter.

Black bears were as common as stray dogs in my neighborhood in Virginia, and I was a lot more careful around the stray dogs.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
talk to it like you are looking for a date...
around a grizzly like that, my voice might say the same things but it might be quivering a little bit more :rofl:

Black bears will fuck up your property, but I have little concern over my personal well being. Grizzlies are another matter.
Generally speaking yeah. But there are more bear attacks on humans with black bears every year than grizzlies in glacier NP. I encounter one or a family about once a week in the summer here with spring and about now more like 4x a week. There's baseline black bear behavior and then there's what happens when a black bear learns to associate people/houses with food. And those skittish little things become entirely different animals. Even before we all evacuated here there was one breaking into houses. It's kinda busy now on the bear front. In just the last 4 days I've had 2 bears charge at me after trying to chase them away from either a garbage can on trash day or feasting down on some dumbass who had a bunch of fruit delivered to his house while he was out of town. I'm not kidding, search 'park bears.' They don't act like what you describe after some exposure.

Even black bears become highly aggressive after getting used to civilization and food. Which has gotten to be kind of a thing here over the last few years. I've been really close to a few grizzlies but only charged at by black bears.

And east coast black bears are nothing like they are here behavior-wise.

Last edited:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
around a grizzly like that, my voice might say the same things but it might be quivering a little bit more :rofl

Generally speaking yeah. But there are more bear attacks on humans with black bears every year than grizzlies in glacier NP. I encounter one or a family about once a week in the summer here with spring and about now more like 4x a week. There's baseline black bear behavior and then there's what happens when a black bear learns to associate people/houses with food. And those skittish little things become entirely different animals. Even before we all evacuated here there was one breaking into houses. It's kinda busy now on the bear front. In just the last 4 days I've had 2 bears charge at me after trying to chase them away from either a garbage can on trash day or feasting down on some dumbass who had a bunch of fruit delivered to his house while he was out of town. I'm not kidding, search 'park bears'

Even black bears become highly aggressive after getting used to civilization and food. Which has gotten to be kind of a thing here over the last few years. I've been really close to a few grizzlies but only charged at by black bears.

And east coast black bears are nothing like they are here behavior-wise.

Yeah there was a black bear that became acclimated to humans in the Shenandoah National Park. learned to charge people because it figured out folks would drop their packs/food. Still I am a lot more concerned about stray dogs and tweakers, even deep in the woods.

I've been charged by juvenile mule deer here, actually the most dangerous wild animal in the US.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Yeah there was a black bear that became acclimated to humans in the Shenandoah National Park. learned to charge people because it figured out folks would drop their packs/food. Still I am a lot more concerned about stray dogs and tweakers, even deep in the woods.
sure but I want them out of my yard, which they may or may not (and have in the past) decided was their sleeping spot. because I don't want them associating my food box with their next adventure.

So I don't exactly go out there in the evening just assuming they're going to run away........because many times they've done exactly not that and actually done the proud boy dance while facing me and grunting. Know what I'm sayin?

I can't just dismiss that by assuming they're scared little things all the time because they're not. I yelled at one out of my office window one time and she ran up and banged on the window :rofl:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
sure but I want them out of my yard, which they may or may not (and have in the past) decided was their sleeping spot. because I don't want them associating my food box with their next adventure.

So I don't exactly go out there in the evening just assuming they're going to run away........because many times they've done exactly not that and actually done the proud boy dance while facing me and grunting. Know what I'm sayin?

I can't just dismiss that by assuming they're scared little things all the time because they're not.

How did you like getting away from all those bears and rich people up in Idaho? Must have been a nice break.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
How did you like getting away from all those bears and rich people up in Idaho? Must have been a nice break.
leading up to labor day........lots of american flag shorts and pit vipers

equally concerning to be honest

does kind of strike me as odd that that place has nowhere near the bear presence. I blame californians. Which means by extension the bears should there soon. I camped with ian highlands so that was interesting. We talked about acadian

Last edited:

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
@kidwoo

that one time my granfather witnessed the end result of a polar bear hunt...

Screenshot_20210911-014833_Instagram.jpg

aleutian islands....WW2...