Quantcast

Pinion DH and Enduro/All Mtn frames

Dec 9, 2015
As much as I'd like to build kidwoo a frame for free, I have a wife and 3 kids to support and divide my time with. Sooooo, can't build frames for free anymore. I have sunk enough money into this to get this far simply because I love it and believe we have a better riding bike than most offerings and one that will last a good long time. One of the Enduro Pinion frames we are finishing up is for a customer who has been on one of our DH frames for 2 1/2 years. He now wants a high pivot All Mtn bike because low pivots just suck at bump absorption and wants to get off his current frame.

But like I said, I think the industry is crazy with their prices now. I don't want to be that way for really what is a toy for most of us to hurl ourselves down a mountain with (And to get a nice work out on the way up. Kill two birds with one stone).

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
In all seriousness, I've always thought companies loaned bikes for testing, then testers give them back when done.

Apologies to all if I'm wrong about that!

Peregrine bikes, I think what you're doing is super awesome, and I would never seriously propose giving for keeps a bike to someone just because they are a reviewer. I totally get how that would be super dumb, and I don't want to come off as not respecting all of your hard work.

I also think Kidwoos reviews are some of the best going, but I think tagging him to test bikes may not be his favorite so I'll probably lay off that for a while...

Dec 9, 2015
In all seriousness, I've always thought companies loaned bikes for testing, then testers give them back when done.

Apologies to all if I'm wrong about that!

Peregrine bikes, I think what you're doing is super awesome, and I would never seriously propose giving for keeps a bike to someone just because they are a reviewer. I totally get how that would be super dumb, and I don't want to come off as not respecting all of your hard work.

I also think Kidwoos reviews are some of the best going, but I think tagging him to test bikes may not be his favorite so I'll probably lay off that for a while...
Yeah at this point, we would have to build test frames, equip them with Pinions, ship them out, etc. Little too much expense at this point for this kind of frame.

But anybody who is in Southern California can come by and check them out. We can set up a ride with you too to take it out to some trails.

joelsman

Turbo Monkey
Feb 1, 2002
B'ham
Is that the new cast magnesium pinion casing or the aluminum one?
Looks pretty sweet and your pricing is much better than most. Good job. I am interested in seeing the AM bike all built up.

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
Ironically, from somebody who has sent a bike to @kidwoo for a review, he was one of the most efficient reviewers out there. Most of them want to keep a bike for 6 weeks, and they'll ride it maybe 4 times and ask for a shipping label after letting it gather dust in their office. Woo had a bike for about 7 total days and did like 5 rides. If I tried that, rides 4 & 5 would have been to the Beer Garden and back.

Obviously the answer is to bill it to @4130biker . Let me know how that goes, that seems way sweeter than actually paying for press bikes (and shipping both ways).

Edit: @Peregrinebikes you can pull off frame building with 3 kids? Damn.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
Buying them to test is easier many times. having a bike for 4-6 months makes a huge difference. I can tell the first few rides if I like it but takes awhile to see its strengths or weakness.....

Dec 9, 2015
Yeah this has kept me busy to the limit. Luckily my wife is cool with it. Kids are getting old enough now that i can't not be around for them. Building the kids a 24" gearbox bike soon so I can get them out on the mountain. But if I didn't do it, I wouldn't be riding the bike I have wanted. STEEL, HIGH PIVOT, GEARBOX. Great combo. And then other people want them, so it makes sense to create a business and see where we can take this. Not really about the money so much as it is creating a great product people want to ride.

I wish I could slave drive the kids out in the shop. "Your not doing you homework until those pivot shells are reamed!"

Disclaimer: No children have had their fingers sawn off in of the these bike frames that are produced.

Dec 9, 2015
Sorry guys. There was a flub with the paint. So instead of having photos of the enduro builds now they are like two weeks out. And Rampage is next week! So a little delay.

Dec 9, 2015
These builds which are typical of what most people run feel light. Haven't had one fully built but pounds lighter than my DH build. I am guessing maybe around 36lb mark.

Some may baulk at the extra weight of the gearbox, but after being on it for a bit now, it is something I wish I had years ago. Riding up and down is so much better with the shifting capabilites and chain security. I find myself shifting twice as much because it is so easy to just be in the perfect gear at all times. The best derailluer can't compare to these. Before I decided to go this route, I contacted quite a few people from different forums who had one. Most of them were on hardtail types. They said they now wanted their mountain bikes to be pinions because they felt they were so much better.

Would never go back. Have no desire to ever be on a derailluer bike and will never ride another derailluer bike again.

The only exception where one would not be desirable would be a slopestyle or rampage type of riding event, because your aren't shifting much at all for stuff like that and wouldn't want the weight.

allsk8sno

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
Bellingham, WA
That is what my spreadsheet build has, with nothing special build, and stage fork, which is not as light as others, I input 8.5 # so I am guessing.

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
Here ya go guys. She is back from paint rehab. 36.2lbs on the build. SRAM landed the "eagle" but the Peregrine knocked it out of the sky. Death to derailleurs. Heading up to rampage in a bit!

Won't let me post the photos so here are the links.

p5pb14043818.jpg
p5pb14043819.jpg
p5pb14043817.jpg
p5pb14043821.jpg
p5pb14043824.jpg
p2pb14043839.jpg
Looks awesome.

Does that little spring on the lower pulley make some noise? Or is it always preloaded enough by the chain?

Watch out, some evildoer put some tread vomit on your front wheel.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Dec 9, 2015
Looks awesome.

Does that little spring on the lower pulley make some noise? Or is it always preloaded enough by the chain?

Watch out, some evildoer put some tread vomit on your front wheel.
Ha, when photoing this thing I kept picking the stuff on the tires but it was a pain.

The spring is always preloaded to keep the chain tensioned. It does not make noise. I am sure most have seen the single speed conversion tensioners. Thought about one of those but they are heavy (heavier than this) and are kind of weak. So we made one that is light and super simple.

Dec 9, 2015
Just wanted to post up response here to questions about the swing arm and stiffness. It was asked awhile ago on here with the comparison to the old BMW's.

Our bike was inspired by the Superco Silencer that was never put out for the public. The linkage is different from what they did with old BMW's. They had longer swing arms from end to end. They used plates as attachment points and the linkage was different.

These feel plenty stiff. They are cupped on the end joints which makes a very strong and stiff joint. We also have the main pivot sitting behind the BB to keep the swing arm as short as possible. If you look at the linkage it is essentially an upside down version of the Transition TR450, which I had, and it had a pretty stiff rear. The TR450 pushed their link and this pulls the link to actuate the shock. Nobody complained about that being flexy from what I remember. I am 195lbs geared up and it feels very good. The other riders on them have not said they feel the rear end to be "flexy".

The newer Commencal DH rig is essentially designed the same way if you really look at what is going on with the swing arm.

The flex you are addressing on swing arms is torsional flex that would occur between the BB and the rear wheel when sideways (leaned over in a berm for example). Our linkage keeps this flex to a minimum in the same way the TR450 stabilized its swing arm.

Dec 9, 2015
So a customer for one of our Pinion frames sent me this link to a video he made:

Our website will be up hopefully by this weekend or next week. We have 26" and 27.5" DH or All MTN framesets designed up. The Geo numbers will be available on the website. Web address is: peregrineindustry.com

Dec 9, 2015
@Peregrinebikes congratulation, how much pedalkickback? zero or similar with pinion - high chain pivot?
No pedal kickback. Chain is neutral on the suspension. The routing takes care of that. It pedals very good too because naturally a high pivot has good antisquat without having to resort to special linkage setups to try to achieve that at sag. So the bike is also super plush on the descents

Dec 9, 2015
Just wanted to let you guys know we have posted a video on our webpage: peregrineindustry.com or go to our pinkbike page to view it.

Slight modification to allow any rear shocks to be used. It keeps the frame weight in the range we want to hit. stronger and lighter.

Dec 9, 2015
Finished a 24" ripper for younger kids. This employs the slight frame modification using a straight tube and a shock yoke. The previous split frame design restricted what shocks could be used and it was heavier. We tried using some very light tubes with it to keep the frame in a weight range we wanted, but the lighter tubes for the design employed did not pass the test. Heavier tubes added too much weight although the split frame kept all the weight low and centered. Obviously a straight tube is optimal and the kinematics of everything worked out that not much else changed which was the goal. It increases the progressiveness of the linkage slightly. This makes the bike a bit more poppy and playful for those that like that feel.

Here is the link to the video we just finished: Peregrine Pinions