Quantcast

Politics and religion...

J

JRB

After asking why the thread about Jesus walking on ice was moved, mudgrrl said that Jesus was political. He is not. He is a relious figure. Maybe back then, there could have been ties to politics, but not now. Religion is not political. Sure it plays a part, but why is Jesus anymore political than our opinions about a road group?

I guess my question is - why are they lumped together???

J

JRB

I know they put religion in politics, but I rarely hear politics placed into religion. I guess the religious right does it, but it's not somethingI see commonly. I hope this isn't turned into a political explosion. That is not my intention.

J

JRB

Slugman said:
Umm... do you watch the news?

Politics and religion are hand in hand right now...
For the extremists, yes. For folks like me, not so much.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Slugman said:
Umm... do you watch the news?

Politics and religion are hand in hand right now...
Welcome to the history of the world.

Politics and religion have been in bed with each other since man formed the concept of community.

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
loco said:
For the extremists, yes. For folks like me, not so much.
I find it to be more mainstream.:help:

Plus, when you talk religion - the politocals are going ot jump all over it. They have mixed the 2 concepts into 1...:bomb:

J

JRB

I see what you are saying, Slug. I am saying that we should set a precedent. I hope we could.

DirtyDog

Gang probed by the Golden Banana
Aug 2, 2005
Tenchiro said:
They can both inspire the same kind of heated arguments.
This is the issue. If you want to talk about Jesus, go to godhatesfags.com or some site like that.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
loco said:
After asking why the thread about Monkeys eating banannas was moved, mudgrrl said that Monkeys have to have banannas. They do not. They are primates. Maybe back in the jungle, there could have been ties to banannas, but not now. Monkeys don't need banannas. Sure they like banannas, but why do Monkeys need banannas anymore than our opinions about Monkeys flinging poo at roadies?

Better?

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
loco said:
Because as soon as Jesus is mentioned certain people around here start bashing religion and start blaming the worlds current problems on religion. It only degenerates from there.

People around here don't have enough mutual respect to allow a calm, non-political discussion of any religion to take place.
BeerDemon said:
This is the issue. If you want to talk about Jesus, go to godhatesfags.com or some site like that.
This has to be the stupidest thing you have ever said on here.

J

JRB

BeerDemon said:
Wow - what a jackass comment.

This wasn't meant, as I said, to be a political thread. It was a question as to why mention of the word makes people so friggin' retarded. I guess it's just the word. I didn't have you pegged to slip into the retardedness so easily.

J

JRB

Ciaran said:
Because as soon as Jesus is mentioned certain people around here start bashing religion and start blaming the worlds current problems on religion. It only degenerates from there.

People around here don't have enough mutual respect to allow a calm, non-political discussion of any religion to take place.
yeah - I just witnessed that from someone that I thought might have an iota of respect for other people. I was wrong.

Andyman_1970

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2003
The Natural State
Check out Luke 22, Jesus even tells His first followers not to chase after the power and authority that the Gentiles (in this context those who don't know God) chase.

Jesus did make some very politically charged statements, as do His first disciples in the book of Acts........but Jesus says we (His followers) are not to be jockeying for political power...............a concept lost on the religions right it seems.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
Andyman_1970 said:
So are you saying we're all like that???:clue:
Of course he is. Just like Ciaran said there is a group of folks here that are so vehemently anti-religious that it is next to impossible to have a civil discussion about it once they get involved. You've been on the bad end of that stick before.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
DRB said:
Of course he is. Just like Ciaran said there is a group of folks here that are so vehemently anti-religious that it is next to impossible to have a civil discussion about it once they get involved. You've been on the bad end of that stick before.
:BeerDemon:

DirtyDog

Aug 2, 2005
Andyman_1970 said:
So are you saying we're all like that???:clue:
I just picked a random site. If you don't like being portrayed that way, perhaps you should get together as an organization and do something about garbage like that.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
DRB said:
It's like anti-religion is a religion with some people.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
They are lumped together because they are both based on fiction. Politics and Religion are both based on a belief system, not facts or science.

I belive there is a supreme being (religion), N8 believes GWB gives a crap about him (politics). We are both full of crap. See how they relate now?

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
jimmydean said:
They are lumped together because they are both based on fiction. Politics and Religion are both based on a belief system, not facts or science.

I belive there is a supreme being (religion), N8 believes GWB gives a crap about him (politics). We are both full of crap. See how they relate now?
W loves me!!!

I saw it... there on the beach.. footprints in the sand and all.

DirtyDog

Aug 2, 2005
N8 said:
It's like anti-religion is a religion with some people.
Point out the obvious - that Christianity is a religion filled with bigotry and hate, and that the Christians are trying to force their beliefs on the population through control of government and education, and I get labled as a hater.

Sure there are plenty of "good Christians". But they aren't a problem, and the others are. So I'm not going to stay silent about it.

DirtyDog

Aug 2, 2005
Andyman_1970 said:
Have you read any of my posts on here?
Talking and doing are two different things. Anyway, I already stated that you aren't all bad. I have never said a bad word about you if you recall.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
BeerDemon said:
Point out the obvious - that Christianity is a religion filled with bigotry and hate, and that the Christians are trying to force their beliefs on the population through control of government and education, and I get labled as a hater.

Sure there are plenty of "good Christians". But they aren't a problem, and the others are. So I'm not going to stay silent about it.
...and the non-christian haters are equally as bad...