Quantcast

Politics and religion...

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Andyman_1970 said:
It was then, in your darkest hour you saw only one set of footprints and realized that W had carried you through that dark time.........:rofl:
Actually they were my footprints... I carried W.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Old Man G Funk said:
You are equivocating. Nowhere did I say at any time that it is OK to generalize about large groups of people, whether they are Christian or not, and I challenge you to find where I said that. In fact, I said the opposite.

And, the "gay lifestyle" depends on what you mean. If you are talking about the self-expression of how they were born, (i.e. through their acts in the bedroom) that is still wrong. If you are truly talking about chosen actions (and who you are attracted to is NOT chosen) then it might not be wrong. To call me bigoted, however, is completely beyond the pale, especially since I've taken a stance completely contradictory to bigotry.
You are arguing that it is less wrong to attack religion/culture than it is to attack race, unless the culture happens to be one that you dont have a problem with, in which case it is just as bad. :rofl:

Old Man G Funk

Choir Boy
Nov 21, 2005
In a handbasket
BurlyShirley said:
You are arguing that it is less wrong to attack religion/culture than it is to attack race, unless the culture happens to be one that you dont have a problem with, in which case it is just as bad. :rofl:
Who is attacking culture?

I'm saying that it is wrong to attack race, gender, innate traits, etc. It is not necessarily wrong to attack chosen ideologies.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Old Man G Funk said:
Who is attacking culture?

I'm saying that it is wrong to attack race, gender, innate traits, etc. It is not necessarily wrong to attack chosen ideologies.
Culture and religion are so intertwined, its nearly impossible to have one without the other. "Chosen" ideologies? Do you mean like...uh...growing up in a lifestyle that teaches only ONE deity and following its rules/customs and trditions? Id say that applies very much to the religion of Islam and very much to christianity. So much so that YOU most likely get christianity's holidays off from work. How about attacking someone who "Chooses" to transgend (sounds like Transcend :think: ) ? Is that ok?

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
BurlyShirley said:
For instance, if you replaced christians with Blacks, Gays, Women, Hindus, Pakistanis, Muslims
You're mixing inherent traits (race, gender), subconscious influences (culture) and conscious choices (religious affiliation). These are all very different factors in who someone is and how they behave, and should be treated separately.

edit: just saw that OMGF beat me to it. Oh well, I'm not deleting the post.

Old Man G Funk

Choir Boy
Nov 21, 2005
In a handbasket
BurlyShirley said:
Culture and religion are so intertwined, its nearly impossible to have one without the other. "Chosen" ideologies? Do you mean like...uh...growing up in a lifestyle that teaches only ONE deity and following its rules/customs and trditions? Id say that applies very much to the religion of Islam and very much to christianity. So much so that YOU most likely get christianity's holidays off from work. How about attacking someone who "Chooses" to transgend (sounds like Transcend :think: ) ? Is that ok?
I grew up in a lifestyle that teaches only ONE deity, and in a country that all but pushes it on its citizens. It's still a chosen attitude. Tell it to the Christians that they didn't choose their Christianity, and I bet many of them will find that to be insulting.

Yes, I get Xmas off from work. It's a problem for me, because I take the day off, but I don't think we should get that day off. And, yes, culture and religion are intertwined, but attacking the ideology of Christianity is not the same as attacking the culture. They may intertwine, but they are not the same.

As for transgendered people, they are not choosing to simply be the other sex. They are choosing to pursue who they really are. It's another case of innate qualities.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Old Man G Funk said:
As for transgendered people, they are not choosing to simply be the other sex. They are choosing to pursue who they really are. It's another case of innate qualities.
Yeah...Right:rolleyes: Who they really "are" is who they "are" not who they get plastic surgery to "become" . If thats not the clearest defintion of choosing, I dont know what is.

Also, one could argue that a Christian "is who they really are" so its really all about WHO YOU HATE and why. Pretty evident at this point.:)

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
ohio said:
You're mixing inherent traits (race, gender), subconscious influences (culture) and conscious choices (religious affiliation). These are all very different factors in who someone is and how they behave, and should be treated separately.

edit: just saw that OMGF beat me to it. Oh well, I'm not deleting the post.
The point was to mix it, because they're all pieces of who people are. Many black christians would argue that their religion is more important to them than their race, no?

Old Man G Funk

Choir Boy
Nov 21, 2005
In a handbasket
BurlyShirley said:
Yeah...Right:rolleyes: Who they really "are" is who they "are" not who they get plastic surgery to "become" . If thats not the clearest defintion of choosing, I dont know what is.

Also, one could argue that a Christian "is who they really are" so its really all about WHO YOU HATE and why. Pretty evident at this point.:)
Yeah, it is pretty evident that no where have I said that I hate Christians. You are still equivocating, and at this point I have to conclude that you are doing it on purpose. Just so you know, you aren't pissing me off, so if that's your aim you can stop, because you are really only making yourself look stupid. C'mon, you can troll better than this.

But, hey, if you can dig up some place where I said that I hate Christians, then go ahead. If not, maybe you can retract your mistake?

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
I tend to view a lot of ultra-antichristians as people who are over compensating for perhaps actually being a 'closet christian'...

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
N8 said:
I tend to view a lot of ultra-antichristians as people who are over compensating for perhaps actually being a 'closet christian'...
So by that logic you are really a closet commie pinko? :D

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Old Man G Funk said:
Yeah, it is pretty evident that no where have I said that I hate Christians. You are still equivocating, and at this point I have to conclude that you are doing it on purpose. Just so you know, you aren't pissing me off, so if that's your aim you can stop, because you are really only making yourself look stupid. C'mon, you can troll better than this.

But, hey, if you can dig up some place where I said that I hate Christians, then go ahead. If not, maybe you can retract your mistake?
Like I said, you've made your point of view abundantly clear over numerous threads. The one about christianity teaching hate and causing wars pops to mind, I wont bother searching it because we both know what Im talking about. And you may have side-stepped out and out saying it anyway, so what's the point? We both know. It must be hard, this dicotomy you're dealing with right now, loving diversity, yet refusing to accept your bigoted concepts. Good luck with that.

DirtyDog

Gang probed by the Golden Banana
Aug 2, 2005
Changleen said:
Sometimes you lot are fvckin stupid.
I waited all day for you to show up and that's all you got? I'm going to make a forum about Fusion and set your permissions so you can only see that forum. Weak.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
BeerDemon said:
I waited all day for you to show up and that's all you got? I'm going to make a forum about Fusion and set your permissions so you can only see that forum. Weak.
Sorry, I'm actually just so pissed about this that I didn't know what to type. See my responses in the other threads N8 is trying to turn into flame wars.

By the way can you make my Frames and geometry thread in the BMX forum sticky please? Then I'll argue like a good fascist in here.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
BurlyShirley said:
Like I said, you've made your point of view abundantly clear over numerous threads. The one about christianity teaching hate and causing wars pops to mind, I wont bother searching it because we both know what Im talking about. And you may have side-stepped out and out saying it anyway, so what's the point? We both know. It must be hard, this dicotomy you're dealing with right now, loving diversity, yet refusing to accept your bigoted concepts. Good luck with that.
Shirley, the only reason you think your argument is valid is because people are willing to accept that christianity is true. If any other non-religious organisation, (such as the Nazi party in germany,) used an ideology (such as they did) to promote their anti-humanist agenda then people would start a war against them for being a danger to mankind.

Look at the history of religion. It is a litany of ridiculous denials of mankind's progression and free thought. It is retarding factor for humanity. However, because so many people are so damn stupid that they can't see past the green curtain of indoctrination they've lived with their whole lives and apply just a little logic to the situation, we are stuck with the retarded situation that there is a big fvckin' beardy dude in the sky 'controlling' everything whose kid can walk on water.

Blaming people rather than 'religion' for this retarded behaviour is dumb. Religion is HUMAN CONSTRUCT. Your argument would be valid if it was genuinly passed down by a higher power, but it fvckin' not. There is 50 tons of evidence for this, which a good percentage of the population happily ignores every frickin day of their lives. Stupid, mindless dorks.

J

JRB

Did you tell us why people equate religion to politics, changleen???

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Changleen said:
Shirley, the only reason you think your argument is valid is because people are willing to accept that christianity is true. If any other non-religious organisation, (such as the Nazi party in germany,) used an ideology (such as they did) to promote their anti-humanist agenda then people would start a war against them for being a danger to mankind.

Look at the history of religion. It is a litany of ridiculous denials of mankind's progression and free thought. It is retarding factor for humanity. However, because so many people are so damn stupid that they can't see past the green curtain of indoctrination they've lived with their whole lives and apply just a little logic to the situation, we are stuck with the retarded situation that there is a big fvckin' beardy dude in the sky 'controlling' everything whose kid can walk on water.

Blaming people rather than 'religion' for this retarded behaviour is dumb. Religion is HUMAN CONSTRUCT. Your argument would be valid if it was genuinly passed down by a higher power, but it fvckin' not. There is 50 tons of evidence for this, which a good percentage of the population happily ignores every frickin day of their lives. Stupid, mindless dorks.
Thats a seperate argument altogether. While I agree with it in part, we also have to play by the rules.

Old Man G Funk

Choir Boy
Nov 21, 2005
In a handbasket
BurlyShirley said:
And yet, no where in there did I state that I hate Christians or did I attack Christians. I attacked Christianity, but not Christians. Good job. You're still not trolling very well.

Oh, and BTW, I said religion (not just Christianity) was the number one justification for war. Economics is the number one reason for war. But, why represent my argument factually, when you can make sh1t up? I mean, since you've been making sh1t up all day, why stop now?

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
loco said:
I think it's because for many people they both start off with baseless assumptions that are very close to a belief system.

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
loco said:

Ooh ooh can I answer this one?!?!?!?! :love:

It's because they are both tools of control.
Both are theoretical power/control structures, in theory they are things of great beauty and hope.... in reality due to humans being involved with all our petty greed, bigotry and hatred they are all too often ugly evil and corrupt.

IMO they are just evil twins (but unfortunately nessesary evil twins) Politics (currently) has control of your day to day life and religion all too often wants that power (or alternatively wishes it still had that power).

Ok rant over... I'll be quiet now.:banghead: ------> :ouch:

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
GreyBeard said:
There are no 'rules' - except possibly such assertions such as
"Religion is a HUMAN CONSTRUCT" and "Religion is the opiate of the People" and "Religion is the bane of human existence" etc etc etc.

Don't have much time now, but in brief, I want to get into your
belief system assumptions, going back to Protagoras, Comte, Marx/Engels/Trotsky, and culminating in the latest French philosophe
fumee' du jour.
. Please lay the groundwork, and I'll be back. Be assured that the Christianity of Our Lord Jesus Christ will be left standing at the conclusion of our discussions. Happy Easter.
Beauty, the bots are in, here we f*cken go.:rolleyes:

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
GreyBeard said:
Be assured that the Christianity of Our Lord Jesus Christ will be left standing at the conclusion of our discussions. Happy Easter.
Only in those whose weak minds need a crutch to face the beauty and savage purity of nature. I'm my own fvckin Lord thank you very much. Grow up and get a pair. You're wormfood, dude. Nothing more.

E

enkidu

Changleen said:
Only in those whose weak minds need a crutch to face the beauty and savage purity of nature. I'm my own fvckin Lord thank you very much. Grow up and get a pair. You're wormfood, dude. Nothing more.
Aah, the same vituperative passion of the stumping red army of the Chinese Cultural Revolution. . . can't tolerate men with professed faith and conviction? Not all of them are religious, political, or even cultural extremists or bigots.

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
loco said:
For the extremists, yes. For folks like me, not so much.

This is true. But there is a group of people who want to undermine over 400 years of progress in America, and over 200 years as the Unites States. One of the key ways America has risen over much of the strife the rest of the world has, it to have a government that (for the most part) isn't affiliated with one religious or ethnic group. Now there is a serious challenge to the underpinnings of the US. If any religious group, or other group succeeds in making the government theirs...well it will ruin the US.

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
[/QUOTE=GreyBeard] Be assured that the Christianity of Our Lord Jesus Christ will be left standing at the conclusion of our discussions. Happy Easter.[/QUOTE]

Have him drop in for tea...I'd love to talk to about him how a bunch of insecure self-centered patriarchal spent wads are using his teachings to grab power for themselves, and are using his name to bully anyone who doesn't agree with them.

3D.

Monkey
Feb 23, 2006
Chinafornia USA
GreyBeard said:
Be assured that the Christianity of Our Lord Jesus Christ will be left standing at the conclusion of our discussions. Happy Easter.
Uh, yea, I'm not so sure about that one there Choir Boy, I mean GreyBeard.

E

enkidu

Reactor said:
Have him drop in for tea...I'd love to talk to about him how a bunch of insecure self-centered patriarchal spent wads are using his teachings to grab power for themselves, and are using his name to bully anyone who doesn't agree with them.
Reactor, I don't think ALL followers of Christ are "a bunch of insecure self-centered" patriarchs "using his teachings to grab power for themselves, and are using his name to bully anyone who doesn't agree with them".

It's fashionable now a days to ridicule and put down ALL Christians, because of the bumbling harmful political frays of fundamentalists' branch of Christianity.

But remember the Light Bulb joke? Christians come in multiple flavors. Just as with Buddhists and Jewish sects. And having a firm belief in one and living accordingly is NOT automatically a sign of bigotry, as I'm sure you must agree.

(just to refresh your memory of the multiple flavors of Christians: I would love to hear a similar light-hearted list of Buddhists' flavors)
How Many Christians Does It Take to Change a LIght Bulb

Charismatic: Only 1 - Hands are already in the air.

Pentecostal: 10 - One to change the bulb, and nine to pray against the spirit of darkness.

Presbyterians: None - Lights will go on and off at predestined times.

Roman Catholic: None - Candles only. (Of guaranteed origin of course.)

Baptists: At least 15 - One to change the light bulb, and three committees to approve the change and decide who brings the potato salad and fried chicken.

Episcopalians: 3 - One to call the electrician, one to mix the drinks, and one to talk about how much better the old one was.

Mormons: 5 - One man to change the bulb, and four wives to tell him how to do it.

Unitarians: We choose not to make a statement either in favor of or against the need for a light bulb. However, if in your own journey you have found that light bulbs work for you, you are invited to write a poem or compose a modern dance about your light bulb for the next Sunday service, in which we will explore a number of light bulb traditions, including incandescent, fluorescent, 3-way, long-life and tinted, all of which are equally valid paths to luminescence.

Methodists: Undetermined - Whether your light is bright, dull, or completely out, you are loved. You can be a light bulb, turnip bulb, or tulip bulb. Bring a bulb of your choice to the Sunday lighting service and a covered dish to pass.

Nazarene: 6 - One woman to replace the bulb while five men review church lighting policy.

Lutherans: None - Lutherans don't believe in change.

Amish: What's a light bulb?

fluff

Monkey Turbo
Sep 8, 2001
Feeling the lag
Changleen said:
Look at the history of religion. It is a litany of ridiculous denials of mankind's progression and free thought. It is retarding factor for humanity.
Whoah slow down there bucko, first you have to define what is 'progress' as regards mankind. It is arguable that without the use of religion to control the masses that mankind would not have progressed as far as it has, religion is an inevitable and necessary factor in development of society, etc.
Changleen said:
Blaming people rather than 'religion' for this retarded behaviour is dumb. Religion is HUMAN CONSTRUCT.
Eh, what are you saying, that people created religion but blaming people (rather than their creation) for something is dumb? If it wasnt for people there would be no religion.