Quantcast

Possible FR/DH that can be used for XC

matt2991

penishead
Jun 12, 2006
i know its prob. hard to do but im looking for a DH/FR bike that i can do xc with. Something that is desent at climbing. Suggestions would be great.

thanks

RideHard

Monkey
Apr 4, 2005
Hands down Preston Fr, it wont die no matter what you do to it. It will take absolutly anything if you choose your comPonants correctly

Transfer

Monkey
Jan 23, 2004
Seattle, WA
Preston would be pretty top notch. It's definitely not long travel, but it can take anything you could throw at it. Wait for a 2007 if you're interested (late Nov.?). I ride a Yeti ASX for this same type of riding and it works decently well but it's by no means an XC build.

tuckya'in

Chimp
Feb 15, 2005
port angeles
With a decent fork {z150 on mine} you can do it all. I do mainly dh/fr with mine for like 2 years now and just lose the minions and put on some light xc tires and you're set for an epic. My buddy has a Preston and has a similar experience as well. We just hit everything on vedder mtn last weekend on those bikes.

May 1, 2006
The ADK's
gotta go with the Preston, climbs very well, and destroys the rest, awesome FR bike and certainly handle the DH seen, i wouldnt race DH with it but even so you wont be dissapointed. and the new year brings a new reamped Preston with a little more rear travel.

May 12, 2005
roanoke va
gemni is your lightest option, and has more trailbike than FR/DH geo, and with a good shock it pedals ok, so it is good trail bike. if you drop the travel to 150 it drops the BB and slackes the HA, makes it more DH friendly. it's still not a plow over **** DH rig, you gotta be on top of your game, but you can get down a hill. fast. and it's a cannondale, so it's strong.

SDH

I'm normal
Oct 2, 2001
Northern Va.
Bullit
Mountain Cycle Fury
Preston
SX
Reign

The above are reasonable in the wieght department most will take a DC and have decent geo to pedal up a hill and blow down a hill.

Honorable mention
Heckler
7Point

trailblazer

Monkey
May 2, 2005
Jamaica
intense 5.5
the foes fxr is on my to buy list but the frame is 8lbs
the nomad has no water bottle mount so night time trail riding is out
maybe the turner 5 spot

Jul 1, 2006
Chicago
I have a Cannondale prophet, and it's a suprisingly good xc rig, even in full freeride trim. I wouldn't be doing any epic trails, but 12 miles is no problem.

I've also got an Iron Horse MKIII that seems to be able to do just about anything.

Chip

gmac

Monkey
Apr 6, 2002
I don't think you can go wrong so long as you choose from list on these responses. All solid choices. I'd consider durability, final build weight, type of company you'll be dealing w/ if you need support.

In order-> Bullit/Heckler, Bottlerocket, Preston, Stinky. Turner if $$$$ allows.

quickneonrt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2003
Staten Island NY
The sx trail is the way to go. Had a bighit, demo 9, bullit now I built a sx trail w/ 170mm 66 and it is my favorite out of all of them. It is a little on the heavy side for epic xc rides but I didn't try to build it extra light since I am using it for Diablo. I was a little leary how it would be at Diablo but after the first day on it, it's time to sell the demo9 and my p2

quickneonrt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2003
Staten Island NY
Also, no mention of the Intense Uzzi vpx? It seems to fit what you are looking for, more durable than the nomad for fr/dh and more travel than the 6.6 and nomad.

erikkellison

Monkey
Jan 28, 2004
Denver, CO
:cheers: kona stinky ive been able to race dh, freeride and trailride, i dont even look at my other bikes http://s94.photobucket.com/albums/l113/dvddobson/?action=view&current=STA60018.jpg&refPage=12&imgAnch=imgAnch14
Did the Stinky come with those jackstands, or did you have to get them after trying to work on the bike?

My $.02 is based on a couple things:
  • Good linkage for pedaling OR a lighterweight SP w/ pedal platform shock - no unnecessarily heavy linkage-driven SP's
  • Good geometry, preferably adjustable
  • 7" fork accomodatability (is that a word?), because you don't NEED a DC for lots of DH, but it's something to keep in mind.
It all depends on the components, and if you want it for both, either make some concessions, or have two wheelsets, two forks, and a creative front ring(s) setup.

• Intense 6.6 (5.5 no good for DH)
  • Nomad
  • VP-Free (great for DH side, still pedalable if build light enough)
  • Uzzi VPX
  • Bullit (not going to break, good middle ground)
  • Old RFX/Six Pack (very versatile)
  • Highline (better for DH, but still pedal-friendly due to geo)
  • Enduro Expert (lighter than SX Trail)
  • AS-X (6" setting is great for DH geo, 7" is better for XC)
  • Helius FR :) (very adjustable and light, not so DH-friendly unless you switch to a longer stroke shock, which you can)
  • '06 -> Chumba Evo (great linkage, great geo, a tad heavy)
  • IH 7 Point
I'm sure there's tons more, but that's what comes to mind, and what I want to second from what people wrote above.

frznnomad

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
a-town biatches
6 point series, or 7 points. the 7 points no longer offer a full air ride because of the 6 points, but the 7 points could be climbed and well could get the job done. the only prob is that there a little bulky for full blown xc day.:cheers:

SXtrailrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 27, 2005
I would say the sx trail if you are leaning more towards FR but is more of XC definetly the Nomade or the 6.6

TBFKAHG

Monkey
Aug 11, 2005
Marin Quake is another one to consider. Not the quickest climber of the bunch but if you are willing to drop into the granny ring and take your time it will get you to the top.
AL7 with Fox DHX Air and Fox 36 Talas weighs right around 32 pounds and the frame is about as beefy as they come. I know mine will probably outlast me.

trailblazer

Monkey
May 2, 2005
Jamaica
The 6.6 begs for a heavy shock and is not trail XC worthy like the SX trail.
Both are outstanding rides and I would mount either any day but they are not XCable. Not with constant mid sized climbs. You would most likely be dropped by the pack in a few miles.
The nomad has NO water bottle mount.[sux cause i luv the bike]
I am torn between the new 5spot that's actually 5.75" and the Foes fxr and the commencal meta
input?

erikkellison

Monkey
Jan 28, 2004
Denver, CO
The 6.6 begs for a heavy shock and is not trail XC worthy like the SX trail.
Both are outstanding rides and I would mount either any day but they are not XCable. Not with constant mid sized climbs. You would most likely be dropped by the pack in a few miles.
The nomad has NO water bottle mount.[sux cause i luv the bike]
I am torn between the new 5spot that's actually 5.75" and the Foes fxr and the commencal meta
input?
Are you looking for the same things as the OP? If so, I'd pay attention to the geo of each bike.
The 6.6 can be ridden fast uphill, trust me, I've seen it done. Heck, I've seen DHR's and V-10's and M3's ridden uphill fast, but those were strong riders. You'd be just fine with a 6.6 (put the lycra down...).
The 5 Spot is going to be too steep for DH.
The FXR recommends a 5" fork max, and has a relatively steep HT angle (trust me, you don't want this for DH, you'd be better off with a slack HT and suffer on the steepest of climbs in XC than go over the bars constantly in DH).
That meta is not suitable for DH, period. It is an XC/trail bike.
The Quake/Quad XLT looks suited to your purposes, not the XC or the Tara though.
That 6 Point series looks awesome too, but you'd have to make some changes for DH.

You know, you'd almost be better off buying two used bikes, one DH, one XC. The thing is though, XC bikes are so not fun on the way down, and what would you rather have: an easier time going up, or actually enjoy your ride? Hmm...

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
I use my 41.5 lb Fly for a XC,DH,FR rig. Im more about the downhill. Dual rings work great...22/36 or 22/38.

RJM

Monkey
May 18, 2005
on the rocks
Dear Op,

Good luck weeding through all the responses. A question like yours will yield so many varied answers and opinions.

For DH/FR with the occasional xc you are going to have a compromise in the xc department and most do. I'm one of them.

I've had hecklers, superlights, sundays, Gt's, Evil's, etc...I always go back to Turner bikes. They are on the high end of the spectrum but they kick a$$ in the riding department and the service dept.

The Turner Highline is what you want. Its pedallable as long as you choose reasonable wheels. I am a pretty strong rider but find it a bike that can easily be pedalled around for 3hours. Build it to 40lbs and its a dh/fr capable rig willing to go uphill for more.

Specialized is a huge company treats a demo 8 broken frame owners like chit.
the IH 7pts look decent.
Turner RFX can rule as well, at whistler mine kept me super stoked.
the nomads seem trendy but are fun bikes
Intense bikes look nice too, uzzi/6.6

All of these are nice bikes, some more $$ than others, to pay that $$ some are more justifiable than others. Where do you live? Maybe you can try out some of these bikes before you buy one.

If you live near S. California, call Turnerbikes. They will let you come by and demo one of their bikes.

Have fun riding...

erikkellison

Monkey
Jan 28, 2004
Denver, CO
VP-Free is taller than a Bullit, heavier, more unwieldy on more technical terrain, and the pedaling efficiency is debatable, but I liked pedaling my Bullit better than the VP-Free by far, with the same parts. Don't be sucked in unless you've got time on both with all other variables the same. People are often encouraged to say that the new thing is better when it's not necessarily. While unbiased isn't easy, it is possible, and unfounded comments about performance should be kept to a minimum. I will give you the fact that the VP-Free descends better, but it does havel almost 2" of travel on the Bullit too.
Coiler is a Faux Bar - why??

gmac

Monkey
Apr 6, 2002
What are the diffrences between the Kona Coiler and the RFX design ?

Seems like a nearly identical suspension system. Yet I hear the Kona pedals just acceptable(my immpression from reading only). And that the RFX pedals unreal !

Can anyone explain why that is ? Is it the geometry of ST & HT angles ?

kona-ryder

Monkey
Jul 18, 2006
Above you on the podium.
What are the diffrences between the Kona Coiler and the RFX design ?

Seems like a nearly identical suspension system. Yet I hear the Kona pedals just acceptable(my immpression from reading only). And that the RFX pedals unreal !

Can anyone explain why that is ? Is it the geometry of ST & HT angles ?
That could be because the Coiler is not stocked with a pro-pedal shock. Fox claims that the Vanilla R has propedal, but there is not adjustments for it.
I have a 43lb Stinky, and can race it, ride it a Whistler and the Shore, but I can still ride all day (6+ hour) epics on it, with freinds on hardtails and 3-4' travel forks. I put a 34 tooth granny on the back, with a 22 on the front and I can still climb it on 3-5 mile fire-roads with moderate ease at a reasonable pace.
Personally, If I had the money to fund it, I would build up a Santa-Cruz VP-FREE with a DHX air, either a 66rc2x or a 36, Easton Havoc Wheels (maybe go tubeless??) you can always put on some meatty 2.6 inch DH tires when the need arises, Easton Monkey-Lite Carbon 31.8 bars, and probably Saint Cranks, after that you really cant go wrong as far as components go.