Quantcast

Post Your Morewoods!

Mulestar

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2007
in the dirt
2010 izimu.

I've been testing it out on some whooped out, steep, bermy goodness and it seems perfect so far! Soon to have elixir carbon brakes and a 36t chainring to replace the little 32.

Jase76

Monkey
Aug 10, 2007
Australia
2010 izimu.

I've been testing it out on some whooped out, steep, bermy goodness and it seems perfect so far! Soon to have elixir carbon brakes and a 36t chainring to replace the little 32.
Are you running angled headset cups on that? The red looks great.:)

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
The seat tube length was my one gripe with the Ndiza. I loved mine but I wish I could have done a bit of trail riding on it. I would get another one if the large had a little longer seat tube.
You are complaining about a gated racing bike having a short seat tube? I think what you are looking for is called the Shova. :thumb:

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
You are complaining about a gated racing bike having a short seat tube? I think what you are looking for is called the Shova. :thumb:
Yea, I know you can't have your cake and eat it to. I did consider getting a Shova and using it for XC/AM and the occasional gated race. I'm pretty sure Geritt used a Shova for DS one season.

Mulestar

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2007
in the dirt
Yea, I know you can't have your cake and eat it to. I did consider getting a Shova and using it for XC/AM and the occasional gated race. I'm pretty sure Geritt used a Shova for DS one season.
The shova is a fast slalom bike even with stock geo and nearly 6 inches travel.

ZoRo

Turbo Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
MTL
Ndiza action shot! (@ RanchStyle DS race this past weekend) © N. Sears via VITAL

AngryBeaver

Chimp
Oct 4, 2009
Whistler Baby!
hey Guys

After busting my last frame last year I have been waiting for a new DH rig since November! Unfortunately I could not wait anymore for that frame and decided to go for the bike that I originally wanted (after riding Supercow's) and here she is......

Its only had one ride and boy it was worth the wait! Cant believe how comfortable this bike is. Was honestly hesitant about being back on a big bike after so long as I thought it would feel pretty dead and boring, but this bike is so manageable and fun! Its stripped back down again waiting for a few new parts and I think the next time she'll be ridden will be in 2 weeks when I fly out for a season in Whistler! I have certainly made a fantastic choice in a bike!

Greg

AngryBeaver

Chimp
Oct 4, 2009
Whistler Baby!
I had a set of 09 Boxxer teams. I came into a bit of money selling bikes for my Whistler trip so I splashed out on some new forks as the 09's were pretty ragged (plus I really wanted the Hope intergrated crown and stem which does not fit the 09 forks)!

The forks feel ok but not really jumped out on me yet, however, only 1 ride so far and they're fresh from the box so they feel like they have been stuck in that box for 6 months! They are being sent to get a bit of a tune up from TFTuned so hopefully they will come back felling nice and to their potential!

al-irl

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
A, A
nice makulu what were you going to get? loving mine can't wait to bring it to whistler this summer. Have to agree with you on how comfy it feels. Mine fits like a glove. I was able to jump on it and go fast straight away

AngryBeaver

Chimp
Oct 4, 2009
Whistler Baby!
It felt so good in the rough too. Cant wait to take it into some proper rough terrain!

I was waiting for a Mondraker. I got really stubborn and would not change my mind as I had waited so long, but then I rode a Makulu again and remembered why I said it was the best bike I had ridden.
I have ordered some angled reducer cups to slacken the HA. Mainly as I prefered running my Commencal at 63. I know a few riders who have done this and they loved the way it felt! Hope its a good decision! Either way, if I dont like it I can just switch back.

Greg

supercow

Monkey
Feb 18, 2009
nice makulu what were you going to get? loving mine can't wait to bring it to whistler this summer. Have to agree with you on how comfy it feels. Mine fits like a glove. I was able to jump on it and go fast straight away

What shock do you have on yours and how much sag are you running?
I'm on 40% ish with my Stoy and was giving Beaver some advice as to what spring he needs, until someone else mentioned that the 40% sag thing is only for Stoy shocks, not the RC4 etc?

ZoRo

Turbo Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
MTL
I heard about this bike from the Morewood rep down at ranchstyle. Supposedly, this bike is about a sub-25 build, which is pretty wicked for a FS 4x bike. It would be almost impossible to get a regular Ndiza sub-25 unless you put some stupid light parts on it.

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
Not mine, but I found a pic of a prototype Morewood 4x frame on Pinkbike. Zula tubing, Ndiza geometry, 100mm travel.
That looks exactly like what I'm looking for. With my e-spec goggles on :nerd: it looks like the seat tube is quite a bit longer than the Ndiza.

I heard about this bike from the Morewood rep down at ranchstyle. Supposedly, this bike is about a sub-25 build, which is pretty wicked for a FS 4x bike. It would be almost impossible to get a regular Ndiza sub-25 unless you put some stupid light parts on it.
The lightest I ever got my Ndiza was 31 lbs with average weight parts and it felt like a rocket. I couldn't imagine riding one that was Sub 25lbs :eek:

al-irl

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
A, A
What shock do you have on yours and how much sag are you running?
I'm on 40% ish with my Stoy and was giving Beaver some advice as to what spring he needs, until someone else mentioned that the 40% sag thing is only for Stoy shocks, not the RC4 etc?
I've got the stoy running a 225 spring and I'm about 200lbs. I think the 40% is only on the boss but I usually run a little over 30% on most of my old bikes

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
So what's the weight limit for someone riding the Makulu? Not too heavy, but too light. If a 200lbs guy is running a 225# spring, then there must be no chance that I could set one up for my 130lbs self.

al-irl

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
A, A
Not sure but there is some pretty light springs available for the long stroke shocks so I don't think rider weight will limit ur ability to ride on not unless ur a 12 year old with an eating disorder

alexhill

Chimp
Apr 19, 2010
AngryBeaver, You buy that second hand off the guy at bike active? Been waiting for my frame from them for weeks! Phoned the distro today and the shipment is leaving SA on Friday.

supercow

Monkey
Feb 18, 2009
AngryBeaver, You buy that second hand off the guy at bike active? Been waiting for my frame from them for weeks! Phoned the distro today and the shipment is leaving SA on Friday.
AngryBeaver is one of their shop riders and bought it second hand off Rob - who will be taking Beaver's Summum.

Your bike should be with you soon if Toby said they leave SA on Friday, as they fly the frames out

So what's the weight limit for someone riding the Makulu? Not too heavy, but too light. If a 200lbs guy is running a 225# spring, then there must be no chance that I could set one up for my 130lbs self.
Mike,
BOS has a 187.5# spring which I think would work for you. I had one but I sold it to a kid in Portugal(I think he was 140lbs.) because I will never be that light again. Problem is BOS has no representation over here in the colonies. So it does exist you just might have to get it from the U.K. or Australia. The BOS ID is the same or very close to CC and should work for a double barrel. The kid that bought my 187.5# said that BOS makes a 175# as well but his distributor was out of stock.

Last edited:

Santa Maria

Monkey
Aug 29, 2007
Austria
Kind of a normal progress to try the new desing/platform of the Zula on other bikes. But my guess was that they would do it either with the Shova/MBuzi than with the Ndiza.

I mean it is great to get a ndiza ultralight for 4x racing, but if you do not race 4x on it (like i do) it schould also be stoimg enough for Dirt Jumps and Mini DH.........

al-irl

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
A, A
there should be a new shova and mbuzi out for 2011. They have a 2 year product cycle on there frames so they should be up for a redesign for next year.

AngryBeaver

Chimp
Oct 4, 2009
Whistler Baby!
AngryBeaver is one of their shop riders and bought it second hand off Rob - who will be taking Beaver's Summum.

Your bike should be with you soon if Toby said they leave SA on Friday, as they fly the frames out
Yep, Alex! I had a Summum on order since November and I just couldn't wait any longer so I stole the minty bikeactive Demo frame! So glad I changed my mind. It was the original bike I wanted but I thought maybe it was too close of a ride to my Commencal. Not at all.

Deon (supercow) kept telling me to go for the Makulu and I'm glad! Will be worth the wait Alex! Rob loves it when the customers keep harrasing him about their bikes, he gets lonely throughout the day!:D

Greg

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge

Count them. That is seven Makulus in one shuttle truck at Windrock this past weekend. The crazy thing we were missing 2 more that we know of.