Quantcast

Progressing at dirt jumping!

SoCalsurfer

Barney
Nov 1, 2004
Venice, CA
What's the key to better dirt jumping....Balls, speed, right bike?

I go to Kenter in L.A fairly often, but often find myself backing down from the good launch pads....

Any tips on progressing? Websites? Advices?

I have a Straight 6 with a Psylo up front and a Vanilla in the rear...

also, would I want to have the rear suspension fully flush, or compress it for more stiffness?

I know, many questions :)

Thank's for any replies!

JTVW

Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
somewhere hot
set up the suspension stiffly

oh and the key is you just gotta go for it
maybe bring a cameraman, too (a little kodac courage doesn't hurt)

Feb 13, 2002
Seattle, WA
Be sure to evaluate risk vs. benefit.

Be patient, the skills will come.

too much "balls" will result in you getting hurt.

Here's what "balls" gets you:

SoCalsurfer

Barney
Nov 1, 2004
Venice, CA
Thanks for the reply guys! I'm 36 ( I believe that has something to do with it) :rolleyes: I just dont heal that fast anymore.....I know all about comitting, I surf a lot, and You know when to drop in and when to pull back, as the jagged reef can't wait to get a bite off ya' :cool:

Any websites, that would go thru the basics, weight distribution etc...?

Weaver

Monkey
Oct 27, 2003
austin, TX
you just gotta realize there is no spoon...

actually focus on being loose... you will be stiff from fear... adn that is what ****s you....

relax... take your time... and just go bigger as you get comfortable.... drop the ego and start small

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
start small.

learn to bunnyhop. the motions are the same for dirt jumping.

get a hardtail. I see so many people that can't jump and let the bike do all the work (that ride full squish). don't wanna buy a hardtail? no biggie....

practice. practice. practice. (and learn to bunnyhop, the motions are the same;))

S3C

Chimp
Jul 19, 2004
Edmonton, AB
^^^ what he said.

Learn to bunnyhop very well. It will help you in the long run. Hardtails are much better for dirt jumping and make it that much easier. Start small and do it over and over until you get the motion.

flat broke

Monkey
Nov 18, 2004
Long Beach, CA
I think the fear on big hits is two things 1 the audience, and 2 the fear of packing the landing.

The audience can be good and bad, but if it makes you self concious, go to smaller hits as suggested and don't be ashamed of working on the small stuff. As long as you're having fun on your bike, f' anyone that talks smack about ridding smaller jumps. Once you're able to land stuff regularly, thats when the audience becomes a good thing. Nothing like 10 guys standing around bs'ing about a drop or line to build a little peer pressure. :D But if you have the basic skills sometimes the pressure will be enough to force you to try, and that will raise you to a new level you couldn't push yourself to on your own (this is stuff for a later date :) )

Start with bunnyhops, then start bunnyhopping over items like curbs, branches etc. As you do this, you'll learn timing, get a good feel for your bike, and build confidence. Then move onto small jumps (table tops are less daunting than gaps). If you have a BMX track in your area that allows Mtn Bikes on practice night, roll down there and work on your skills. Typicaly you'll find at least 1 step up (not much potential for disaster) maybe a table top, and probably a couple different sized sets of doubles.

Once you're jumping, progress to kickouts, then to table tops, then one footers, then on from there. While you're at it, just start working on wheelies around the neighborhood too. All the "stupid little stuff" builds confidence in your skills, helps with your flow, makes you comfortable on your bike, and will lead to more fun on the jumps.

BTW, that article on Leesbikes about overcomming fear was great. Work on things one step at a time and it will all take care of itself.

Good Luck,
Chris

J_B

Monkey
Sep 20, 2004
In My '09 WRX STI
While I am not a huge dirt jumper, decided to buy a bmx bike a few summers ago. A liquidated Specialized T.J. Lavin Vegas for like 3/4 off. I rode that during the week after work and that definately helped with keeping momentum and learning how to be smooth on jumps/street. I had forgotten how to really ride a bmx bike. I had definately lost alot since riding a big DH bike and a trail bike. Building up a Imperial(still waiting on parts) and that is gonna be a sweet dj/street bike.

Like so many RM's said...practice, practice, practice

scurban

Turbo Monkey
Jul 11, 2004
SC
check
leelikesbikes.com it explains how everyone pretty much has the same feelings of fear when it comes to dirt jumping. Over coming that fear and pushing yourself is half the fun!

Alloy

Monkey
Aug 13, 2004
thousand oaks, ca
TheMontashu said:
you word means nothing as of right...................NOW
That's ridiculous

If you can't bunny hop you may be able to get from mound of dirt to the other. But that’s about all you'll be able to do.

You won't be able to compensate for lack of speed.
You won't have any precision.
You won't be able to jump rhythm sections.
Every time you do jump you'll look like a chog.

So learn to bunny hop. You can learn it in your driveway and there's no risk involved. It's one of the most basic skills you can have on a bike.

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
Alloy said:
That's ridiculous

If you can't bunny hop you may be able to get from mound of dirt to the other. But that’s about all you'll be able to do.

You won't be able to compensate for lack of speed.
You won't have any precision.
You won't be able to jump rhythm sections.
Every time you do jump you'll look like a chog.

So learn to bunny hop. You can learn it in your driveway and there's no risk involved. It's one of the most basic skills you can have on a bike.
you havent seen me ride, i do fine, i can compensate for lack of speed, i jump rythems, and am learning whips. so here you go :stosh: :stosh:

flat broke

Monkey
Nov 18, 2004
Long Beach, CA
If you're using that pic as proof that you have mad style without being able to bunnyhop, you might want to find some better visual aids. :rolleyes:

My 20 to your 5 that you cased the landing on that jump. I don't care if you learn how to bunnyhop or not, its your deal. But to insinuate that learning a skill as rudimentary as bunnyhopping won't help out your DJing, that's another matter. Anything that gets you more comfortable on the bike and teaches you how to leverage your weight and strength against gravity will help with DJing.

Chris

Blueadder

Chimp
Jul 19, 2004
Lafayette, Louisiana
and my question on this topic is that when I dj(just starting out) I feel like I'm leaning back far enough but my friends say I'm still leaning forward to much and end up touching down my front tire first. How can I get a better feel for leaning back? I know practice helps but is there any other things to think about, do, etc?

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
flat broke said:
If you're using that pic as proof that you have mad style without being able to bunnyhop, you might want to find some better visual aids. :rolleyes:

My 20 to your 5 that you cased the landing on that jump. I don't care if you learn how to bunnyhop or not, its your deal. But to insinuate that learning a skill as rudimentary as bunnyhopping won't help out your DJing, that's another matter. Anything that gets you more comfortable on the bike and teaches you how to leverage your weight and strength against gravity will help with DJing.

Chris
I didn't say that it wouldent help. you implied that you cant DJ well unless you bunny hop. the only time i cased that jump was the 1st time i hit it and i new i would cause i had no speed but remember thease 2 things, its a BMX jump so the lip is vertical and my bike is 42 pounds

Alloy

Monkey
Aug 13, 2004
thousand oaks, ca
TheMontashu said:
you havent seen me ride, i do fine, i can compensate for lack of speed, i jump rythems, and am learning whips. so here you go :stosh: :stosh:
Well then, what's your excuse? If you're learning whips why don't you just learn to bunnyhop?

Alloy

Monkey
Aug 13, 2004
thousand oaks, ca
Blueadder said:
and my question on this topic is that when I dj(just starting out) I feel like I'm leaning back far enough but my friends say I'm still leaning forward to much and end up touching down my front tire first. How can I get a better feel for leaning back? I know practice helps but is there any other things to think about, do, etc?
Don’t necessarily focus on leaning, what you really want to do is move with take off. Learn how to pump the take off and your bike will arc more naturally. Try to push your bike into a downward circular motion right before the take off. Match the apex of your pump with the curve of the jump.

A lot of people don't understand what's really going on when they pump their bike. A common misconception is that you just push down on the landing. There is little more to it then that, and if you understand what’s happening you can do it much more effectively. To get the picture imagine that you're spinning a weight on the end of string. You're moving your wrist in a circular motion and the faster you move it the faster the weight spins. Now if you give it one really good half circle jerk you can get the weight to spin really fast. So in essence you're just pulling the weight faster and faster. You're doing almost the same thing when you pump a bike; the only difference is that instead of pulling you're pushing. To do it on a bike lean forward slightly, time the motion with the approaching take off or landing, and push in a downward circular motion matching the curve you’re pumping. The harder and faster you push the faster you will go.

Try practicing pumping your bike over a set of rollers before you do it on a jump. Enter the rollers slowly and see how much speed you gain without pedaling. If you don’t have rollers just go out and find something. On a dual suspension bike you can pump anything that even slightly resembles a curve.

Handlebarsfsr

Monkey
Dec 6, 2004
ct
your brain is what you really need. learning the right way to hit a lip, the right way to land, and having the right mindset- being confident, but also not being stupid will make you a better dj'er than any amount of bikes, balls, or speed.

firetoole

duch bag
Nov 19, 2004
Wooo Tulips!!!!
it always helps to ride with someone better than you.
it is suprizing how fast you can pick things up, just from watching your freinds show you up.

Ifelloffabike

Monkey
Apr 14, 2003
Strong Island Ny
TheMontashu said:
I didn't say that it wouldent help. you implied that you cant DJ well unless you bunny hop. the only time i cased that jump was the 1st time i hit it and i new i would cause i had no speed but remember thease 2 things, its a BMX jump so the lip is vertical and my bike is 42 pounds

that isnt even close to vert dude

Blueadder

Chimp
Jul 19, 2004
Lafayette, Louisiana
Thanks for the pointers Alloy. I've been practicing this and I think I finally understand what you are talking about.

At first I was looking like this :help:, but after about a week of working on this I'm looking more like this :D

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
RIDE A HARD TAIL! I have been riding one for around 6 months and I have progressed so much because of it.

2young2ride

Chimp
Nov 23, 2003
Colorado
Originally Posted by TheMontashu
its a BMX jump so the lip is vertical and my bike is 42 pounds

I ride bmx jumps all the time and yes they are step lips but i can still make it through the rythm and my bike is 43 or 44 pounds so that should not be reason you cant jump it.

Dec 21, 2004
Burlington, CT
If you are going to be doing things like 6 packs or anything, try to flow through it and like i heard earlier dont be stiff. Also try progressing at you own rate and dont try to keep up with others if they are doin **** too big, you know you shouldnt try yet. And of course commit and have some balls when you do it, but not soo much you get hurt..... thats my input

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
2young2ride said:
Originally Posted by TheMontashu
its a BMX jump so the lip is vertical and my bike is 42 pounds

I ride bmx jumps all the time and yes they are step lips but i can still make it through the rythm and my bike is 43 or 44 pounds so that should not be reason you cant jump it.
i can do it

Red Bull

Turbo Monkey
Oct 22, 2004
TheMontashu said:
That has nothing to do with it, my DJs have uber steep lips, they go for the ground to about 3 feet high in about a foot and a half ( meaning they are 3 feet tall and wayyyy steeper than that jump) Steep jumps get you much higher, it used to be that way you would get maybe 5-4' of air (in total) now you get 7-8' because its steeper. Ohh, and 43lbs is not heavy...

I see your point however, you can DJ if u dont know how to bunnyhop, but you have more options if u can. Such as if u dont have much speed, you can compensate for it by bunnyhopping (or j hopping, whatever you call it) It may also help your style because you know a little better how to move the bike around in teh air...

vallEbikes

Monkey
Oct 20, 2004
amherst mass
TABLETOPS other than that relax go faster than you think you need to overshooting is better than casing
if the jup isnt that big it wont hurt to crash trust me once you crash and it doesnt hurt it will get easier
have fun :thumb:

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
Red Bull said:
That has nothing to do with it, my DJs have uber steep lips, they go for the ground to about 3 feet high in about a foot and a half ( meaning they are 3 feet tall and wayyyy steeper than that jump) Steep jumps get you much higher, it used to be that way you would get maybe 5-4' of air (in total) now you get 7-8' because its steeper. Ohh, and 43lbs is not heavy...

I see your point however, you can DJ if u dont know how to bunnyhop, but you have more options if u can. Such as if u dont have much speed, you can compensate for it by bunnyhopping (or j hopping, whatever you call it) It may also help your style because you know a little better how to move the bike around in teh air...
43 pound is ALOT when you only weigh 120

Ok Montashu...
I think that this goes back to PNJ's post, the key element of his post was that the ability to bunnyhop is REQUIRED to Dirt Jump WELL.
For a brief moment discard your notion that you are the next Nyquist.
You may believe you jump well, hell even your freinds may believe it.. you might be the best jumper of the group.
But in reality you don't jump well.
You make it over the jump.
The fact that you are "learning whips" has little if anything to do with your ability to jump well.
I have coached more than a few people at jumping and aerial manuevers in general and I can tell you that your approach is poor. There is a reason why certain skills in ANY activity are refered to as "the basics".
This is because these basic skills are necessary to progress. In order to run, a person has to learn to walk.. and before that they must learn to stand upright.

This thread was started by an individual who was looking for honest, solid advice on ways in which he can progress as a dirt jumper, however your ego could not contain itself and you decided that it was important to use this topic as a means of showing the world just how accomplished you are..
All you have succeeded in doing was providing proof that you are indeed an idiot,
Please, return to your village, they need you.

PNJ is most decidedly correct in stating that the bunnyhop is the first and most critical skill in mastering dirtjumping. It allows you to control the bike's trajectory, it provides a margin for errors in speed judgment, AND it sets the bike up correctly when attempting aerial tricks.

Regarding the original poster's question, PNJ's advice is your first step, however I would like to add that judging speed and distance is a VERY natural thing to do, your mind will make the required calculations subconciously without direct input.. just as your mind does when you attempt to toss something to someone.. you never put thought into trajectory and velocity when doing that.. because it is natural.
If you find that you consistently case doubles or tables.. analyze whether you case different size jumps at the same location.. for if you always hit the knuckle, then you are most likely focusing your attention on that point.. as it is the closest point to you when you are in the air, making it an ideal focal point.
If this is the case, your mental approach is that you are in fact treating the jump as an obstacle that you must get over, your mind calculates the required energy to just take you there..
The remedy is to change your mindset regarding the jump itself, remembering that your objective is NOT to "simply get over it" but to in fact JUMP it.. that it is not an obstacle, but an activity in itself.