Quantcast

Progressing at dirt jumping!

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
shootr said:
Ok Montashu...
I think that this goes back to PNJ's post, the key element of his post was that the ability to bunnyhop is REQUIRED to Dirt Jump WELL.
For a brief moment discard your notion that you are the next Nyquist.
You may believe you jump well, hell even your freinds may believe it.. you might be the best jumper of the group.
But in reality you don't jump well.
You make it over the jump.
The fact that you are "learning whips" has little if anything to do with your ability to jump well.
I have coached more than a few people at jumping and aerial manuevers in general and I can tell you that your approach is poor. There is a reason why certain skills in ANY activity are refered to as "the basics".
This is because these basic skills are necessary to progress. In order to run, a person has to learn to walk.. and before that they must learn to stand upright.

This thread was started by an individual who was looking for honest, solid advice on ways in which he can progress as a dirt jumper, however your ego could not contain itself and you decided that it was important to use this topic as a means of showing the world just how accomplished you are..
All you have succeeded in doing was providing proof that you are indeed an idiot,
Please, return to your village, they need you.

PNJ is most decidedly correct in stating that the bunnyhop is the first and most critical skill in mastering dirtjumping. It allows you to control the bike's trajectory, it provides a margin for errors in speed judgment, AND it sets the bike up correctly when attempting aerial tricks.

Regarding the original poster's question, PNJ's advice is your first step, however I would like to add that judging speed and distance is a VERY natural thing to do, your mind will make the required calculations subconciously without direct input.. just as your mind does when you attempt to toss something to someone.. you never put thought into trajectory and velocity when doing that.. because it is natural.
If you find that you consistently case doubles or tables.. analyze whether you case different size jumps at the same location.. for if you always hit the knuckle, then you are most likely focusing your attention on that point.. as it is the closest point to you when you are in the air, making it an ideal focal point.
If this is the case, your mental approach is that you are in fact treating the jump as an obstacle that you must get over, your mind calculates the required energy to just take you there..
The remedy is to change your mindset regarding the jump itself, remembering that your objective is NOT to "simply get over it" but to in fact JUMP it.. that it is not an obstacle, but an activity in itself.
thank you for the ego check :stosh: iff you read the entire thread I started out trying to help and give advice

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
when landing, having both your tyres touch down at the same time, or slighty before one or the other is most benefitial, because if you feel the groove you can pump through into the next set, gaining speed.

the best way to describe the pump is to, right after you touch down, compressing down and pulling up at the same time, if you get what i mean, so that while you roll through the transition you can use your body weight to add momentum. at the top of the lip you explode with a fat BUNNYHOP, sail down to the next pile, repeating as necessary.

imo the bunnyhop is one of the most important bicycle handling skills. When i ride cross country, for transportation, Djing, urban, DH, whatever! the bunnyhop has saved my ass who knows how much. i have some riding sessions that last hours that are just me bunnyhoping gaps and off/on objects. its ****in fun. On my Kona roast i can hop up a loading dock. i've seen a friend of mine hop up the same dock on his stinky 5"!

For anyone reading this looking for advice on progressing at riding, in general or Djing, the bunnyhop will be your friend, companion, and sometimes a lifesaver.

montashu, i am sure that you can clear them doubles on that 43lb freeride bike. And if Djing isnt all that you ride and you cant afford another bike, then its what you got to work with. imo, your bike and hop skills restrict the style and size of the trails you ride. this afternoon i was riding slalom trails with berms and quick, steep doubles that if you cant nose into and pump thru, you wont clear. no way could but a dialed smooth rider get through that **** on a freeride bike, i have a hard enough time on my hardtail.

allsk8sno

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
Bellingham, WA
dude thanks for the props on the hops!!

and as more people are saying bunnyhoping motion is the same as the dj motion
even if i am not popping off the lips of a jump i do the motion, just don't push on my hop! all my friends who can't hop...can't jump and its not for lack of trying...they launch off jumps but they don't go up!! if you want to pop up in the air and not just clear the gap you have to use the bunnyhop motion to get the height!!
this will also set you up to nose into the landing and allow you more time to setup and pump between the jumps!
hope this helps i was never awesome at jumps but i can pump through small sets

2young2ride

Chimp
Nov 23, 2003
Colorado
TheMontashu said:
i can do it
If you can do it why do make this big thing about vert lips and the camera is at a weird angle. Is it because you are two inches off the lip :think:. Your trying to make a exuse for your crappy dirt jumping skills. :nope:

FR4life.

Monkey
Nov 2, 2004
The Bay
Personally, I can't stand all this "thats a BMX jump cause the lip is steep" or "Thats a MTB jump cause the lip isnt steep" bullsh!t. I can do either one, and I ride a Bighit. A jump is a jump, and you can easily do steep/vert lips on a mtb, it just makes no sense to call them a BMX jump, or MTB jump. :o:

-Chris

Dec 6, 2004
Santa cruz Mountains
I used to BMX dirtjump, but now im DH MTBing, FR4 you're actually semi right, i ride a bighit also, a BMX jump does have a steeperlip, and a MTB jump has not so much of a steep lip, basicly a Mountainbike can hit anytype of jump, a bmxer cant hit a MTB jump, i've only seen a few MTB jumps but i've seen alot of BMX jumps, and MTb jumps are pretty poorly built. since you have suspension flattening it out and smoothning it out doesnt matter,on bmx jumps you'll noice the smoothness and they are more aligned then most Mtb jumps. One thing i want to know is why MTBers use so many damn sticks in there jumps, I think you should have Bmxers rebuild all MTB jumps :)

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
please call me a noob again. i've probably been riding a bike more years then you've been alive. I probably learned more tricks in the air before you could walk.

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
jumping is more then just pedaling over a jump.

someone else said they could jump and they couldn't bunnyhop and then they said they were just learning whips.

the title of this thread is Progressing at dirt jumping. that means taking it to the next level. if you've ever seen guys BLAST off the top of lip, they were bunnyhoping.

using the tranny and the bunnyhop motion to boost them even higher then they would get just riding over it.

I'm sure there may be a few guys who can jump well and can't bunnyhop. but most guys that can REALLY jump, can hop.

Dec 6, 2004
Santa cruz Mountains
I can b-hop.. im saying its not a key in progressing in jumping... yea pretty much everyone can b-hop... doesnt mean they can Dj...

"someone else said they could jump and they couldn't bunnyhop and then they said they were just learning whips."

excatly thanx for proving me right... anyways i didnt mean for this to offend you if it did , im sorry :) that wasnt my intention, i was just trying to say you can Dirt jump without b-hopping....... I love you :love: . I didnt get to far into DJing. the onyl tricks i could do were no handers, no footers and 1 footed table tops...

The Kadvang

I rule
Apr 13, 2004
six five oh
FR4life. said:
Personally, I can't stand all this "thats a BMX jump cause the lip is steep" or "Thats a MTB jump cause the lip isnt steep" bullsh!t. I can do either one, and I ride a Bighit. A jump is a jump, and you can easily do steep/vert lips on a mtb, it just makes no sense to call them a BMX jump, or MTB jump. :o:

-Chris
Oh Chrissy, you have a point... you can hit any kind of jump on any bike. But jumps built by BMXers for BMXers are typically steeper and deeper than ones built by MTBers...

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
nice posts pnj, cowman.

steep lips and mellow lips only have to do with the type of launching your doing. If you want to go up with some pop, make a steep lip. but if your trying to make a 35 foot double, your gonna want it mellow. Alot of mtbers are afraid to hit the steep lips, and rightly so. vert lips w/ 15' gaps arent easily cleared if you dont know what your doing. but if you do know how to REALLY dirtjump steep lips combined with big gaps are an intro to a fun afternoon.

how to get good? practice practice practice practice practice

Ok and dirt jumping can be about tricks and contests or whatever, but no. thats not what it is for me. i like to go out to trails and ride for fun. the only tricks i ever really do are tabletops or moto-whips. half the time i'm using them to help me clear the doubles. i like to have flow and style over set after set after set. you know? one of my favorite trails has one line that is 6 doubles into a 180 berm into 6 more doubles into a HUGE step up into berm with more doubles on the dig.

another line is double, berm to left, berm to right, step-down gap, berm to left, 3 sets of doubles, huge berm to right, 4 sets more.

another line is same double as above line, then hang right, hit 15' set, 20' set, then 30' set.

theyre all dug into the side of a hill, and flow downhill. some of the funnest, tightest, steepest, and biggest trails i've ridden. on a 26" Kona Roast w/ Fox 125r.

50 bucks says that any of you fools that say the bunnyhop isnt a part of djing cant ride these trails. hell i cant even ride all of these lines i just described. but, i can get through most of em. i cant imagine how you'd ride there without a bunnyhop.

if anyone in the pacific northwest ever wants to ride these trails, come to yakima and find me. peace

Bunny hopping has pretty much nothing to do with DJing... thats what lips are for..... n00bz0rz :rolleyes: sorry man but i dont agree.

Dec 6, 2004
Santa cruz Mountains
you arent seeing my point.. you dont need to be able to bunny hop to jump.... It just might be because we are hitting different jumps, the jumps i was doing had steep lips, therefore i didnt have to pull up on my bars as much,but there are alot of different jumping styles, some work for others and some may not, I have more of a rythem style, when i hit sets i flow with my bike, the steeper the lip the more i let my bike suck it up. Styles cant really be explained only the riders themself can experience it and understand it.I'm done posting ont his thread. i just miss DJing more and more while im on here...

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
man, i feel your pain. theres 3 inches of snow outside my window, and its snowing more as i type. i cant ride, only talk about riding, my bike is getting fixed, plus the snow. its crappy. i've already got new lines planned and i cant wait for the snow to melt so i can break out my shovel in the muck.

i guess when i refer to the bunnyhop i mean the ability and motion of controlling the path of your bicycle while your on it. like a tuck or pump? you know, not dead sailoring everything like a corpse. so maybe i'm not even talking about a bunnyhop, but just a similar motion that is applicable to dirtjumping.

whatever. i think that if you want to be a better rider, and you cant b-hop, learn.

Dec 6, 2004
Santa cruz Mountains
OK im gonna post 1 more, Yea I just dont see how its possible to Bunny hop on a lip but i do understand the b-hop motion you are talking about because thats what i do,and yea pretty much anytime i hit a set i pump.