Quantcast

Propane grills

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
My Weber Genesis is 15 years old, cooks great(Burners replaced under warranty in 2018) and it still looks good. I also have a Weber 22" kettle, a couple Weber smokey Joe's, Traeger tailgater and a fairly new blackstone 22".
My last one was a Charbroil the burners rusted out before the 3rd season then the bottom fell out after the 4th. I put a cookie sheet under it and moved the tank to the side and still used it until a few months ago.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
My last one was a Charbroil the burners rusted out before the 3rd season then the bottom fell out after the 4th. I put a cookie sheet under it and moved the tank to the side and still used it until a few months ago.
That's what mine was... it really needed a new burner/flame shield for the last 5-ish years, but it kept trucking. The single U-shaped burner kind of sucked for even heat, though - so I retired it.

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
The owner of the place where I got my Weber talked me into returning the fancy $600 stainless charbroil I just got to buy his $1,200 grill because of that. He said in the lifetime of the Weber I will buy 3-4 $600 Charbroil grills. He was right.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
same:same with the charbroil. Mine rusted out even with a cover on. My weber has been good about the same number of years, though the ceramic "heat shields" rusted out. Replaced for $40.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
That's what mine was... it really needed a new burner/flame shield for the last 5-ish years, but it kept trucking. The single U-shaped burner kind of sucked for even heat, though - so I retired it.
Yeah, I try to salvage them for as long as possible. The cast iron grates outlast anything, so as long as the bitch will warm up. :rofl:

I think this one was $180. Has 5 burners and a cup holder.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Charbroil grills (and similar cheap garbage) are great if you want sad gray food cooked on rust, plus the added bonus of buying a new one every few years. Meanwhile a mid-level Weber with stainless grates will perform better and last at least 3 - 4 times as long.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
My Char Broil actually seared better than my Weber does, but I think they just put way too big a burger in it to up the BTUs, and the burgers were too close to the grates. As a result it had very little heat control combined with hot spots and cool spots so you couldn't effectively use the whole surface to cook similar things, and because it was made of thin Sheetmetal and way too small, it all got super hot and that causes the premature rust.

The Weber is night and day better. Good temp control, way better design, more useable area, foil pans for the drip tray that are easy to replace (not an old bean can), the propane tank mount's integrated level gauge works very well, and I'm sure I'll get my money's worth.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
My Char Broil actually seared better than my Weber does, but I think they just put way too big a burger in it to up the BTUs, and the burgers were too close to the grates. As a result it had very little heat control combined with hot spots and cool spots so you couldn't effectively use the whole surface to cook similar things, and because it was made of thin Sheetmetal and way too small, it all got super hot and that causes the premature rust.

The Weber is night and day better. Good temp control, way better design, more useable area, foil pans for the drip tray that are easy to replace (not an old bean can), the propane tank mount's integrated level gauge works very well, and I'm sure I'll get my money's worth.
My old neighbor used to give me shit for my junk bbq's. He had a wicked old Webber gas that just worked. I might break down and get one next time.

I finally got a legit smoker a few years ago and made my wife sick of smoked meats. I have not used it in a while.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
The owner of the place where I got my Weber talked me into returning the fancy $600 stainless charbroil I just got to buy his $1,200 grill because of that. He said in the lifetime of the Weber I will buy 3-4 $600 Charbroil grills. He was right.
i did the same. ace had a sale on webers a few years back. no ragerts.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Hibachi.jpg

Bag of Lump Charcoal. Lighter fluid-soaked paper plate. 20 minutes and you're good to go. No fucking around. Portable and lasts forever. $40 at Ace and Target. Works like a champ.

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO