Quantcast

Push's $2,600 fork is absurd

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Darren, since this is the hot topic, what can you tell us about the damper in the Nine.One?

JM, why are you hungup on this poppet valve topic? ( I concur that the adjusters on this fork appear same as the HC, but we don't know what's inside to be fair) What do you think PUSH intrinsically missed?

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
I think JM is just mad at the world that nobody makes a fat tire fork that will still work in race conditions during the alaska zero kelvin temps
Fucking Please Stop. JM,I pay a lot of attention to you, for years now. I am very aware of how you feel about Forks,even more so on your feelings about Mazi Forks. The amount of time you ride in Snow. The very impressive to me,amount of Hard Riding you do. I could go on,but won’t.

Now,let me give you My thoughts on a Fatty Front Fork that will work in Alaska zero temps.

Do not use one. You HardCore,then be smart,do not add any problem‘s to the journey that can delay/destroy/ruin you’re time in the snow.

It’s Snow,you are on a Fatty? No Sussie need’ed. Straight up Steel Frame and Fork. Roll Out.

You should take All that engery you have and be a Test Rider for them? Be Happy and make money,free parts if nothing else.

Avy

Feb 21, 2020
SoCo Western Slope
Darren, since this is the hot topic, what can you tell us about the damper in the Nine.One?

JM, why are you hungup on this poppet valve topic? ( I concur that the adjusters on this fork appear same as the HC, but we don't know what's inside to be fair) What do you think PUSH intrinsically missed?
Hopefully @PUSHIND can confirm, but he stated in the Vital podcast that the fork damper is exactly the same design as their rear shock, and even shares some of the same parts. Which I am pretty sure includes a good ol' poppet for the BV.

Curious as to how they back the IFP. With a spring like Fox/RS or a low pressure gas charge?
Does it continuously suck up oil and purge itself? Or is it fully sealed and pressurized?

Maybe in a few years when they dump a bunch of them on BTI. :monkeydance:

PUSHIND

PUSH Industries (Duh)
Dec 5, 2003
Colorado
Hopefully @PUSHIND can confirm, but he stated in the Vital podcast that the fork damper is exactly the same design as their rear shock, and even shares some of the same parts. Which I am pretty sure includes a good ol' poppet for the BV.

Curious as to how they back the IFP. With a spring like Fox/RS or a low pressure gas charge?
Does it continuously suck up oil and purge itself? Or is it fully sealed and pressurized?

Maybe in a few years when they dump a bunch of them on BTI. :monkeydance:
For your benefit, I'll just get this out of the way....It's the most advanced damper to ever hit the trail!:D

Seriously though....the damper is unique. Traditional parabolic needles for both low speed circuits, shimmed HSR, Shimmed LSC and spring preload for HSC with interchangeable HSC springs. Hybrid pressurized twin chamber design with IFP. There is an interchangeable coil spring for preloading the IFP when out of the fork...ie....bleeding/servicing. With the inverted design there isn't really oil inside the leg with the damper so we don't have an ingestion issue. Lubrication is kept in the outer tube.

It's highly tuneable.

Last edited:

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
3600.00 plus tax from S4.

Goddam! Well, I'm fairly sure I'll start seeing some up here by this spring/summer. 'If' you were to pay full price, that would be $3780 with taxes.

While I'd like to try it, I'm not sure I want to spend more than what I spent on an Ohlins DH38 (I didn't pay full retail) which is already crazy expensive to begin with. If they were the same price, I'd sort of consider it since I know I consistently use the enduro bike more than the downhill bike.

Nice fork with nice features for sure.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Goddam! Well, I'm fairly sure I'll start seeing some up here by this spring/summer. 'If' you were to pay full price, that would be $3780 with taxes.

While I'd like to try it, I'm not sure I want to spend more than what I spent on an Ohlins DH38 (I didn't pay full retail) which is already crazy expensive to begin with. If they were the same price, I'd sort of consider it since I know I consistently use the enduro bike more than the downhill bike.

Nice fork with nice features for sure.
4068.00 here in Flatario with the 13% GST added.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Nice one!

Wait, is that served still frozen in the middle? Or boiling hot lava hot?

(Jim Gaffigan reference for those not in the know)

:D

Leafy

Monkey
Sep 13, 2019
I mean, if the fork really is good I don't have a problem with the price, besides the fact that its not dual crown.

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
I've paid the price to get shocks tuned.

I'll pay the price for "Made in the USA" or the UK.

But at the end of the day, this is a fork. It moves up and down.

There's no suspension curves or anti-squat. Right? How does it perform on my local trails? What makes this fork different besides being inverted and made in the US?

I ride. I have fun. I occasionally race for fun.

It's a bicycle, not a spaceship.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
One of the best things about riding bikes with people is it doesn't really matter or come into the conversation too often what people do for work.
I agree w/ this 100% - My core group of 15 or so folks is full of folks from different walks of life, some drive porsches and some drive trucks. You would never know it out on the trail, we are all buds.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
I agree w/ this 100% - My core group of 15 or so folks is full of folks from different walks of life, some drive porsches and some drive trucks. You would never know it out on the trail, we are all buds.
My experience is that it definitely skews towards the well off. Hardly a cross section of society. We still get on no doubt, but I’m not under any illusions that this is an everyman sport. Soccer, basketball or hockey at the park on the other hand…

Last edited:

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
My experience is that it definitely skews towards the well off. Hardly a cross section of society. We still get on no doubt, but I’m not under any illusions that this is an everyman sport. Soccer, basketball or hockey at the park on the other hand…
This. It's like pretending skiing is a sport for Joe average. It's not. Sure if you live in the mountains or you make it your priority maybe but it's a sport that requires a significant investment unless you are really good at finding deals.

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
Indeed. Have you seen the price of the DH lift pass at Bromont? Insane.

Leafy

Monkey
Sep 13, 2019
can only fit so many bikes per hour on a lift, therefore lift accessed biking will always be more expensive
I’ve never seen a bike park ticket more expensive than a ski lift ticket. Hell most of the time they’re closer to half the price.

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
See, I was the other guy. In the early 2000's I found an inexpensive place to rent, had 2 jobs and my 89 Toyota pickup had 246,000 miles on it. I had to budget food, bills and gas, rarely went out to eat/drink, didn't have a dish or cable. But I raced in the Mid-Atlantic Super Series every weekend, chipped in for gas, camping/hotel and race fees on one of 2 $4k bikes on my $800 truck. I didn't spend money on my bikes frugally. The part time job was solely for bikes and skiing.

Our club had 60-100 riders per week. Myself (machinist), contractors, bike shop employees, doctors, nurses, businesses owners, teachers, pharmacist, high schoolers, college students, freelancers, pro riders, auto mechanics. Some were rich, most of us not.

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
The cost of skiing is absolutely nuts compared to MTB, especially when you look at in terms of cost/day. Sure skis/bindings/boots are way cheaper than a full bike, but like 1 full set of clothes (baselayers + midlayers + shells + gloves + goggles + helmet) has got to be around $2k. Single day ski lift tickets in Tahoe are like $130-150 now (bike haul is $80/day). A season pass for skiing helps a bit but it's still like $700-1,000 depending on which one you get. "Cheap" hotels in Tahoe that were $70/night during ski season 10 years ago are now over $200, and a lot require 2 nights minimum now. Plus you're at the mercy of super variable weather now, so no guarantees that you're even going to get decent conditions for all that. Sure you can do backcountry instead of riding lifts, but you've still got to get up to actual mountains with snow for that. Biking just needs hills and is way less dependent on the weather.

I can ride over 100 days a year while maintaining a normal job, a wife, & kid. In comparison, I'm lucky to get 7-10 days of skiing in per year. I love both, but even with bike costs as crazy as they are, it's way more accessible than skiing.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I had to use bread bags on my feet inside my XC spd's on a UK trip last month because it was so damn rainy every day...

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
The cost of skiing is absolutely nuts compared to MTB, especially when you look at in terms of cost/day. Sure skis/bindings/boots are way cheaper than a full bike, but like 1 full set of clothes (baselayers + midlayers + shells + gloves + goggles + helmet) has got to be around $2k. Single day ski lift tickets in Tahoe are like $130-150 now (bike haul is $80/day). A season pass for skiing helps a bit but it's still like $700-1,000 depending on which one you get. "Cheap" hotels in Tahoe that were $70/night during ski season 10 years ago are now over $200, and a lot require 2 nights minimum now. Plus you're at the mercy of super variable weather now, so no guarantees that you're even going to get decent conditions for all that. Sure you can do backcountry instead of riding lifts, but you've still got to get up to actual mountains with snow for that. Biking just needs hills and is way less dependent on the weather.

I can ride over 100 days a year while maintaining a normal job, a wife, & kid. In comparison, I'm lucky to get 7-10 days of skiing in per year. I love both, but even with bike costs as crazy as they are, it's way more accessible than skiing.
I just looked, Flatstar wants $249 for a same day ski lift ticket

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
You guys crack me up!

I'm gonna throw my words of jackassery in the ring. What's particularly interesting is that it's absurd for a $200000000 bazziion dollar fork. But it's NOT absurd for a $230 single day lift ticket at one of the weakest ski areas in the US? Alright, "weak" may be harsh, but if you're a Colo dude, you know. Weakest may be subject to interpretation, as is an mtb fork. But really, I'd rather buy the fork. And not 10 days at said resort, for the same amount of $$$. Oh and guess what? They're both "made in the usa" :D Just saying...