Quantcast

put my order in for a doberman pincher

Tetreault

Monkey
Nov 23, 2005
SoMeWhErE NoWhErE
I personally can't think of many companies where you can ring the owner/dude who's actually building your bike directly and chat with him about what you're looking for in your new bike - so if it comes down to how a company is being run; Nemesis has an edge on alot of other companies out there right now.
believe it or not i dont think they are as hard to come by as they were 3 years ago, like i said i had many conversations with alain over at dobermann and it really made me realize that these guys live for their product. Im also pretty sure that if you called up union or tonic you would talk to the main guy. thats what makes these companies so appealing, you talk to the guy who knows what hes talking about, they actually know what they are talking about and are building an astonishing product. I can only hope for success for all of these companies in the future

sokoloka

Monkey
Sep 14, 2005
San Diego / London
Tanner - we're talking about the same thing bro.

I wasn't saying Nemesis is the only one, but in general, the quantity of bicycle making organizations out there that have such a direct connect is limited.

Everyone will always have their own personal preferences, I'm just a big fan of what Brad's doing right now; and I have nothing against Dob's besides their PacMan dropouts - but to each their own you know?

Tetreault

Monkey
Nov 23, 2005
SoMeWhErE NoWhErE
exactly what im saying, but its not like theres only 2 or 3 companies out there now that arnt personal, and like u said we are talking about the same thing...

and the pacman DP's are only on the low end frame, i dont ahve to worry about that

Evil4bc

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2005
Nor-Cal
Calm down dude's...

All i have to say is.... Brad... Im not going to tread were people are talking about your frames or otters..to make "little remark and comments" about those frames...even if i totally could , (i wont get in to this on a forum because i do have some respect for any frame builder work).

Back to topic... Alex..your frame is in progress and should be ready this week.

Cheers!

Alain Lavoie
Dobermann Fab.
1620 ch. Pink #5,
Gatineau,Qc, Canada
J9J 3N6
T: 819 682 5948
F: 819 682 3300
http:www.dobermannbikes.com

Alain

Thank you for the great compliment .

You too make some of the most outstanding bikes I have ever seen and personally if I didnt make bikes myself I would probley be rideing a DOB ... NO joke !

Evil4bc

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2005
Nor-Cal
you get what you pay for though, the pincher is just plain guage true temper 4130 but its only 500 canadian

as where my molosse is made from versus HT, the strength of the material is unbelievable, and not only that but is has a well balanced feel, on of the reasons i dont like the OX tubing is because I find it to be TOO flexable, this is why i believe dobermann decided to go with the TT BMX tubing as it has the same strength as the OX but is stiff and has a better feel in my opinion.

not that im bashing nemesis in anyway, quite frankly if i would have had the 800us to put down on a frame i would have bought one, but i just didnt have that kind of a budget, but when i can get a dobermann custom done for me with about 50 emails between me and Alain as to what i wanted, and then a service that i have never seen before, i am glad i went with them, not to mention that it is THE best feeling HT ive ever ridden, and ive been on alot of different ones.
In no way am I trying to insult Alain and the Dobermann guys work or the bikes they make , they have produced a excellent product at a price point I cannot touch , my hats off to the DOB guys they do make a very nice bike !

To answer your question about tube set's
I personally have been working with True-Temper for over 7 years on their current tube set offerings and I have a full rack of tube samples in my shop to prove this .
Versus HT is a strong tube set , but and has a very low KSI yield strength .

The Ox platinum tubes we use on our frames are a combination of the custom drawn True-Temper BMX tube set's and OX platinum.

Above you mention that you felt OX platinum is too flexible ?
How is this possible when the Versus tube set has a 135ksi strength for a 31.8 dia tube and the OX platinum 31.8 tube tube has a 180ksi strength ??

These #'s are directly from TureTemper , this is the main reason I spend the extra money to get a custom drawn OX platinum tube set made , the chain-stays we use are a longer version of the BMX supertherm chain-stay which is also basically OX platinum as you mentioned above .

For the straight gauge material we use in our frames such a gusset material and seat-stays we use a heat-treated straight gauge True-Temper material . Which is very close to Versus HT just not butted , we also buy this material in 20ft lengths .

This isn't a guessing game it's science and the #'s dont lie . Ask Dexter how much stiffer and nimble his full OX plat Death-Mobile is over his old bike ?

The one drawback that OX has compared to Versus is denting , OX plat will dent :shocked: :disgust: this is from the reduced wall thickness vs a thicker walled heat-treated tube set .
Given the #'s the Versus tube should dent easier , the OX platinum tube will be more resilient as a material but the wall thickness is more susceptible to denting .

Like I said in a previous post , if I wasent making bike myself I would most likely be riding a DOB , Alain and his crew are good people :clapping: and they make a very good bike frame !!

Daman

Chimp
Nov 27, 2001
Thanks for the good comment Brad ! :cheers:

We did the first proto in OX and it was getting dented way to easely for us ? but ...yes...its very solid metal.

We decided to use Super therm same aloy just beefyer...we add a custom batch of super therm down tube made for us...its now in the TT catalogue if you wan to use it ;)

We made 40 MBF this year. Some are still available at some store, but most of them sold. They are expensiv...but...:bonk: butifull frames!

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
my ox deathmobile is anything but flexy. flexy=azonic ds1, all three generations of the yeti hardtail WITH bolt on axle. so far no dents on my nem and its still kicking complete ass

Evil4bc

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2005
Nor-Cal
Thanks for the good comment Brad ! :cheers:
We decided to use Super therm same aloy just beefyer...we add a custom batch of super therm down tube made for us...its now in the TT catalogue if you wan to use it ;)
If you are refering to the bmxST-DT 07 or 08 these are tubes I have been asking TrueTemper for the past 4+ years !
It wasent all your doing FYI!

Daman

Chimp
Nov 27, 2001
If you are refering to the bmxST-DT 07 or 08 these are tubes I have been asking TrueTemper for the past 4+ years !
It wasent all your doing FYI!
4 years ? damned ? I dont know ? we ad them pretty quickly ? We ad some seat tube made and are looking at some head tubes. Even if its custom made..its still a very good price compare to regular 4130 suplyers. TT rock!

Daman

Chimp
Nov 27, 2001
Some Pix of the Pinscher Alex Morgan BDC
special.

21,5 top tube Translucent green Dobermann Pinscher, no Vbrake and no der cable stop 5.25lbs

Machined head tube

Litle bit shorter seat tube, machined seat tube and BB

14mm drop outs

w00dy

In heaven there is no beer
Jun 18, 2004
that's why we drink it here
I won a pinscher frame from the Dobermann guys last spring. It was so well prepped that I built it up the day I got it and rode it in their July contest. My favorite bike, hands down. I'll post pics when I get the chance.

SilentJ

trail builder
Jun 17, 2002
Calgary AB
Almost done:

It won't be as bmx-ey as most of you guys like, but then, you're not riding it! :p

Black is the new white. :D

Just need some drivetrain action and it'll be good to go.
Fox Vanilla set to 75mm
Diablous stem
EA50 bar
Oury lock-on grips
Hayes mag brake
Easton vice post
Haro Mirra Saddle
Pig headset
formula and 521 front
XT and mag 30 rear