Quantcast

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Sick day today, go to make toast, toaster says FUUUUU!
Order a toaster that everything can be replaced in.
1677651692275.png

I worked at a place that did KitchenAid recycling a couple of weeks ago, they said that nothing gets repaired under warranty it just gets scrapped, that's sad considering how nice the castings looked, so wasteful.

junkyard

You might feel a little prick.
Sep 1, 2015
San Diego
View attachment 190223
I worked at a place that did KitchenAid recycling a couple of weeks ago, they said that nothing gets repaired under warranty it just gets scrapped, that's sad considering how nice the castings looked, so wasteful.
I’ve been eyeing the pinnacle of English toaster engineering. We had one as a kid and at some point I had possession of it but can’t remember what became of it. My mom is an Aussie and when we would go down to grandmas house we were always fed toast upon arrival. Fuck it was always so good. Cooks a bit better with 220 volts I think. Old chook is still alive but doesn’t know who anyone is anymore. I need to get passports and a toaster.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
View attachment 190223
I was just thinking about that today, it's sad the number of products that could easily be repairable but are instead disposable.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I was just thinking about that today, it's sad the number of products that could easily be repairable but are instead disposable.
This was a topic of discussion in my sewing class. I was using a 40+ year old machine that was totally serviceable but had bought a highly disposable one prior for home use.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
This was a topic of discussion in my sewing class. I was using a 40+ year old machine that was totally serviceable but had bought a highly disposable one prior for home use.
Haha, I bought a slightly computerised bernina from a retired electrical engineer, he likes servicing and repairing older machines.
His thoughts were if it was German or computerised he couldn't fix it, and he didn't bother with newer stuff.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Mine was prompted while shoveling the driveway. The blade on my 1.5 year old shovel is wearing down, but the wooden handle is like new. Unsurprisingly, you can't just buy a new blade, you have to buy a whole new shovel. Feels rather wasteful when the blade is easily replaceable.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Mine was prompted while shoveling the driveway. The blade on my 1.5 year old shovel is wearing down, but the wooden handle is like new. Unsurprisingly, you can't just buy a new blade, you have to buy a whole new shovel. Feels rather wasteful when the blade is easily replaceable.
The fact of the matter is that it typically costs more to repair than replace. A nod to how efficient modern production is. 100 years ago you would repair a shovel, but that shovel was also a weeks wage.

And if you think that is bad, most of the items that are returned to large retail stores are actually thrown away. Too expensive to inspect and repackage.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
The fact of the matter is that it typically costs more to repair than replace. A nod to how efficient modern production is. 100 years ago you would repair a shovel, but that shovel was also a weeks wage.

And if you think that is bad, most of the items that are returned to large retail stores are actually thrown away. Too expensive to inspect and repackage.
Oh I'm sure it is more expensive to repair than replace, doesn't mean I'm not disappointed that's the case. I hate throwing things away unnecessarily.

I read that same thing not that long ago. Again, rather unfortunate.

junkyard

Sep 1, 2015
San Diego
I just wish things were at least made out of recyclable or compostable materials. Also made to last longer would be better as well. I fucking hate the mountain of plastic and styrofoam from packaging alone.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
I just wish things were at least made out of recyclable or compostable materials. Also made to last longer would be better as well. I fucking hate the mountain of plastic and styrofoam from packaging alone.
Recyclable only helps if they actually get recycled. Every week I watch the trash guys dump both the trash and recycling bins into the truck one after another. Makes me wonder why I even bother.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
:D

(Stick with it to the end)

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Oh I'm sure it is more expensive to repair than replace, doesn't mean I'm not disappointed that's the case. I hate throwing things away unnecessarily.

I read that same thing not that long ago. Again, rather unfortunate.
I tend to tear things down and save parts I can use for repairs or dumb project later before throwing them out. At least get the metal parts out for recycling.

Have a bunch of metal for welding fab projects and a lot of electronic bits like relays, cables, timers etc. I built a battery backed sump pump control system with basically old junk. Next up is a bathroom fan timer system from bits of an old toaster oven. I just limit myself to no more than 3 Rubbermaid tubs of shit so I don't become a junk hoarder. I am just a bike hoarder.

junkyard

Sep 1, 2015
San Diego
Recyclable only helps if they actually get recycled. Every week I watch the trash guys dump both the trash and recycling bins into the truck one after another. Makes me wonder why I even bother.
That’s lame, I would think they would run it through a machine that pulls out the metals. Glass is whatever but could be reused. Cardboard is easy to recycle and at least it’s mostly just ground up wood. It can make a great weed barrier. It’s plastic I think that’s bullshit and just goes to the landfill anyways. Kids toys are one of the worst offenders.

but there is money in steel, aluminum and other nonferrous metals. So I can imagine they are letting those go.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
That’s lame, I would think they would run it through a machine that pulls out the metals. Glass is whatever but could be reused. Cardboard is easy to recycle and at least it’s mostly just ground up wood. It can make a great weed barrier. It’s plastic I think that’s bullshit and just goes to the landfill anyways. Kids toys are one of the worst offenders.

but there is money in steel, aluminum and other nonferrous metals. So I can imagine they are letting those go.

I always yank metal out of what I throw away because of the ease of sorting an recycling. Just try to avoid plastic when possible. I also really enjoy breaking shit. Neighbors tend to leave you alone after they see you going to town on a microwave with a baseball bat like the printer scene from Office Space. Of course I use a sledge hammer instead of a baseball bat because I ain't no amateur.

junkyard

Sep 1, 2015
San Diego
I always yank metal out of what I throw away because of the ease of sorting an recycling. Just try to avoid plastic when possible. I also really enjoy breaking shit. Neighbors tend to leave you alone after they see you going to town on a microwave with a baseball bat like the printer scene from Office Space. Of course I use a sledge hammer instead of a baseball bat because I ain't no amateur.
Ive learned this as well about neighbors. I also like to be left alone. One time me and some guys had to disassemble some washers and dryers for scraping. So we decided to race. They used a screw gun. I used a pickax with a ax on one side. Mine lay in a neat pile minutes later. An ax will go through sheet metal quite easily, and shear screws. After a time of me teasing them I finished up there’s. You learn a lot of things growing up in a junkyard. Not much useful stuff though.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Ive learned this as well about neighbors. I also like to be left alone. One time me and some guys had to disassemble some washers and dryers for scraping. So we decided to race. They used a screw gun. I used a pickax with a ax on one side. Mine lay in a neat pile minutes later. An ax will go through sheet metal quite easily, and shear screws. After a time of me teasing them I finished up there’s. You learn a lot of things growing up in a junkyard. Not much useful stuff though.
When my father was working 3rd shift he would hit yard sales on the way home from work Saturday mornings and would pick up junk for me to "disassemble". A breaker bar was one of my favorite tools.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Spring melt should be good for some landslides before the fires start burning
You know...when it snows like this everyone's all wHy wOuLd aNyOnE wAnT tO LIvE tHeRe????

It's like they completely ignore the spring and fall landslides and late summer all-consuming infernos that make it all okay.

Truth be told, I've worked in WA in the winter. CA ain't got nothin on washington landslides. It just makes more news here because it happens near richer people. Although with our burn scars I'm optimistic we can take that top spot soon.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
You know...when it snows like this everyone's all wHy wOuLd aNyOnE wAnT tO LIvE tHeRe????

It's like they completely ignore the spring and fall landslides and late summer all-consuming infernos that make it all okay.

Truth be told, I've worked in WA in the winter. CA ain't got nothin on washington landslides. It just makes more news here because it happens near richer people. Although with our burn scars I'm optimistic we can take that top spot soon.

There are ghost towns in the cascades not because they lost economic viability, there were too many floods and landslides that they just became cut off from the rest of the world. I've seen a handful of pretty big rock slides and the aftermath of a huge one that must have been only a few days old. The most dangerous thing out here is the ground.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
There are ghost towns in the cascades not because they lost economic viability, there were too many floods and landslides that they just became cut off from the rest of the world. I've seen a handful of pretty big rock slides and the aftermath of a huge one that must have been only a few days old. The most dangerous thing out here is the ground.
For sure. I've been up there doing flood and debris flow modeling work and have seen some of the far reaches of those rivers and tributaries. It's almost third world but..........not actually that far from some of the most built out communities in the state.

Anyway I hope to move to one of them soon and get blocked off with a huge rockslide. Here they just clear them out of the way and actually plow avalanches. They haven't figured it out yet.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
For sure. I've been up there doing flood and debris flow modeling work and have seen some of the far reaches of those rivers and tributaries. It's almost third world but..........not actually that far from some of the most built out communities in the state.

Anyway I hope to move to one of them soon and get blocked off with a huge rockslide. Here they just clear them out of the way and actually plow avalanches. They haven't figured it out yet.
You can actually get really cheap land next to the cascade river, which is a fucking amazing place. Solid chance it will just not exist in a few years outside of perhaps an archeological dig.