Quantcast

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Ban???

New WRX engine does use a twin scroll turbo. The Legacy GT also had a twin scroll turbo at one point. :brows:
All I know is full torque at 1500rpm happens in just about every other 2.0 turbo engine, but for some reason Subaru is still making stuff that drives like the 1990s. Those auto offerings I suggested would be instead of a cvt, not instead of a 6 speed mt.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
All I know is full torque at 1500rpm happens in just about every other 2.0 turbo engine, but for some reason Subaru is still making stuff that drives like the 1990s. Those auto offerings I suggested would be instead of a cvt, not instead of a 6 speed mt.

I am not sure how much of a difference it makes but most modern torquey turbo 4- bangers I know of use and undersquare bore/stroke which generally favors low end torque. Subarus are square, bore=stroke.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I am not sure how much of a difference it makes but most modern torquey turbo 4- bangers I know of use and undersquare bore/stroke which generally favors low end torque. Subarus are square, bore=stroke.
The modern turbo 2.0-3.0 engines not only build full torque around 1500, it’s a flat line through the whole range, usually tiny turbos spool fast, but you need other tricks like twin scrolls, mounting very close to the exhaust manifold, etc. The Subaru ones react with the delay like a bigger turbo that would build a lot more torque at rpm. Peak torque at 5200 rpm : https://www.autoblog.com/2017/10/06/2018-subaru-wrx-drivers-notes-turbo-traditionalist/

Similar story, they’ve been selling a 2.0 direct injection engine in the STI since 2015, but they won’t bring that to the US. It’s decisions like that which drive me further away. JDM gets all the cool stuff and the US gets leftovers from Subaru at best.

Focus RS, Golf R and a few others are all over it right now. I want to like the Subarus, but they just keep getting heavier with more marginal upgrades/improvements.

But investors rejoice, they have a new bigger SUV for United States women to drive. This means profit.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
The modern turbo 2.0-3.0 engines not only build full torque around 1500, it’s a flat line through the whole range, usually tiny turbos spool fast, but you need other tricks like twin scrolls, mounting very close to the exhaust manifold, etc. The Subaru ones react with the delay like a bigger turbo that would build a lot more torque at rpm. Peak torque at 5200 rpm : https://www.autoblog.com/2017/10/06/2018-subaru-wrx-drivers-notes-turbo-traditionalist/

Similar story, they’ve been selling a 2.0 direct injection engine in the STI since 2015, but they won’t bring that to the US. It’s decisions like that which drive me further away. JDM gets all the cool stuff and the US gets leftovers from Subaru at best.

Focus RS, Golf R and a few others are all over it right now. I want to like the Subarus, but they just keep getting heavier with more marginal upgrades/improvements.

But investors rejoice, they have a new bigger SUV for United States women to drive. This means profit.
Its been years since I cared about Subaru after my wife's 2007 Forester kept spitting the bit, but did they ever get around to making engines with head gaskets that won't start leaking every 20,000 miles?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Its been years since I cared about Subaru after my wife's 2007 Forester kept spitting the bit, but did they ever get around to making engines with head gaskets that won't start leaking every 20,000 miles?

Subaru's business plan is like that of printer companies. They get you to buy the cars (printers) so that they can sell you head gaskets (cartridges).

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
They have!

They now start leaking every 40,000 miles. Which is quite the improvement!

:p
Supposedly new 2.0 design gets around this. My old 2.0 Turbo was solid, but have no idea. Got my parents to buy a new forester with the adaptive cruise control and lane holding. Good car for them.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Supposedly new 2.0 design gets around this. My old 2.0 Turbo was solid, but have no idea. Got my parents to buy a new forester with the adaptive cruise control and lane holding. Good car for them.
I think all the turbo engines used a different (MLS perhaps) gasket and therefor didn't really suffer from that issue.

Sadly the newer 2.0 in the WRX doesn't sound like a Subaru. :(