Quantcast

junkyard

You might feel a little prick.
Sep 1, 2015
San Diego
II dont eat fast food, only a few times since high school out of survival. I honestly dont know why or how people eat fast food. Its gross and not that cheap or fast.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
This was 04-05, with the STI block.
View attachment 127756
Personally I like the fascia of the 06-08 ( blue one we're referencing), but it is not the STI block. I do kick myself for selling this thing. I should have just swapped in the STI 6-speed and Brembo brakes then called it a day. That car was running fine for me.
With the 6 speed swap, aren't you also looking at axles, hubs and then new wheels because of different bolt pattern? That hole gets deep fast...

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
With the 6 speed swap, aren't you also looking at axles, hubs and then new wheels because of different bolt pattern? That hole gets deep fast...
'04 STI were on the 100/5 bolt pattern, which I was already on. If you can find an 04/05 you can drop it in with a new rear diff because of the DSSD. Anything above that and it's the whole slide from the rear. You don't have to change the front, but why do you want 2 sizes of bolt patterns. You can run the red 4/2 pots with an adapter on the 114.3 hubs, which I likely would have done because they are more readily available and 50% the px of Brembo's. I also had a set of 100/5 STI wheels, so I could swap those for a set of 114.3/5 with money. You're looking at a $4500-5000 swap if you do it on your own, adtl $2000 if you need somebody to put the tranny and clutch in for you (because heavy).

It's one of those things that once it's done, you're pretty much done for a long time. The car will be dialed as a low boost stg 3 STI wagon, you just need to maintain. That all being said, Subaru brought out the STI 5-door in 2010. You can just buy that if you don't need as much storage space and are okay with slightly less leg room. The other side being you just get a Legacy GT, put the VF39 turbo onto it with the STI intercooler and appropriately sized exhaust/tune and you have more than enough power, a much larger car, and with a few thousand into the suspension (Bilstein anybody?), a pinner ride that will last for a decade. You will just need to replace your window seals every 25k, which is annoying as fuck to do.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
'04 STI were on the 100/5 bolt pattern, which I was already on. If you can find an 04/05 you can drop it in with a new rear diff because of the DSSD. Anything above that and it's the whole slide from the rear. You don't have to change the front, but why do you want 2 sizes of bolt patterns. You can run the red 4/2 pots with an adapter on the 114.3 hubs, which I likely would have done because they are more readily available and 50% the px of Brembo's. I also had a set of 100/5 STI wheels, so I could swap those for a set of 114.3/5 with money. You're looking at a $4500-5000 swap if you do it on your own, adtl $2000 if you need somebody to put the tranny and clutch in for you (because heavy).

It's one of those things that once it's done, you're pretty much done for a long time. The car will be dialed as a low boost stg 3 STI wagon, you just need to maintain. That all being said, Subaru brought out the STI 5-door in 2010. You can just buy that if you don't need as much storage space and are okay with slightly less leg room. The other side being you just get a Legacy GT, put the VF39 turbo onto it with the STI intercooler and appropriately sized exhaust/tune and you have more than enough power, a much larger car, and with a few thousand into the suspension (Bilstein anybody?), a pinner ride that will last for a decade. You will just need to replace your window seals every 25k, which is annoying as fuck to do.
Useful post is useful. I would love another one, one day. But will definitely have to be a second car due to the gas mileage...

I put Bilstiens on my WRX. They were great right up until the fronts blew up.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Useful post is useful. I would love another one, one day. But will definitely have to be a second car due to the gas mileage...

I put Bilstiens on my WRX. They were great right up until the fronts blew up.
Subaru's turbo engines are ancient technology. Plenty of other modern small high horsepower awd vehicles out there that get much better fuel mileage. But they are also a fair bit more expensive. Not to mention modern Subarus have all the styling and charm of a Toyota.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle

This.

A chipped Golf Alltrack will actually give you more torque below 4500 than an R. Probably better real world power for almost half as much $$ as an R, as long as you are willing to forgo a warranty and don't mind having to upgrade your clutch. Actually there are hardware in the loop tuning options that can be removed for any dealer warranty visits. I haven't driven a new WRX, but my 07 model had the refinement of a farm implement.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
This.

A chipped Golf Alltrack will actually give you more torque below 4500 than an R. Probably better real world power for almost half as much $$ as an R, as long as you are willing to forgo a warranty and don't mind having to upgrade your clutch. Actually there are hardware in the loop tuning options that can be removed for any dealer warranty visits. I haven't driven a new WRX, but my 07 model had the refinement of a farm implement.
I like that and in wagon form, too.

If only we got something like this here in North America...

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
I would have gotten an R station wagon if the damn thing was allowed to have a trailer hitch. Fingers crossed for the next iteration.