Quantcast

Recommend a bike friendly wagon or small SUV

bean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Boulder
The hell AWD won't let you steer. You can steer out of a hell of a lot by giving gas to an AWD car.

Again, AWD requirement, so FWD with snow tires is an absolute no.
Perhaps I exaggerated somewhat. AWD can help you steer, if you know how to use it; I doubt most do. It definitely isn't going to help you stop.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
yeah, that'd be a rwd car, bub. :D

aren't you the one that had the Ur Quattro?
I know...but for most people, rwd is worse than fwd. I was short on time and didn't feel like explaining myself, but I slapped some goodyear euro-market snows on that thing and it would drift so comfortably...once you stopped you were eFFed though.

Yes, I did have the UrCoupe...selling it was one of my biggest regrets.:imstupid:

Again, I'll repeat myself, AWD is no replacement for good snow tires. AWD and good snow tires makes a true champ, but DO NOT think you can get away with cheap tires on an awd car, you will be sorely disappointed. I got stuck in my quattro with my summer tires (all seasons, low on tread) on less than an inch of snow. I drove through 6" of fresh powder with my snow tires on. Don't be a dummy.

A good driver with excellent tires will destroy an excellent driver with poor tires. It is so very worth it to own two sets of tires, no matter what car you drive, if you'll be driving in snow for part of the season. If you live south of the border, and you've seen it snow once, you can get away with all-seasons or summer tires.

Please don't try to argue this point...ask any driver and they'll tell you; the biggest engine, the best brakes, the lightest car don't mean anything when you don't have traction. You'll slow down better, turn better, and accelerate better with tires appropriate to the weather.

Don't pretend that because you can 4-wheel drift a car that you can panic turn to avoid an accident just as well.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
i'll second the point on snow tires: my rx-8 does quite fantastically in the snow with a proper set of snow tires, with the one exception of climbing steep hills.

winter tires, traction control, a lsd, and a little bit of sanity go a long way to countering rwd, light weight, and a big (low pressure on the ground) footprint.

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
Out of my mind, back in a moment.
I know...but for most people, rwd is worse than fwd. I was short on time and didn't feel like explaining myself, but I slapped some goodyear euro-market snows on that thing and it would drift so comfortably...once you stopped you were eFFed though.

Yes, I did have the UrCoupe...selling it was one of my biggest regrets.:imstupid:

Again, I'll repeat myself, AWD is no replacement for good snow tires. AWD and good snow tires makes a true champ, but DO NOT think you can get away with cheap tires on an awd car, you will be sorely disappointed. I got stuck in my quattro with my summer tires (all seasons, low on tread) on less than an inch of snow. I drove through 6" of fresh powder with my snow tires on. Don't be a dummy.

A good driver with excellent tires will destroy an excellent driver with poor tires. It is so very worth it to own two sets of tires, no matter what car you drive, if you'll be driving in snow for part of the season. If you live south of the border, and you've seen it snow once, you can get away with all-seasons or summer tires.

Please don't try to argue this point...ask any driver and they'll tell you; the biggest engine, the best brakes, the lightest car don't mean anything when you don't have traction. You'll slow down better, turn better, and accelerate better with tires appropriate to the weather.

Don't pretend that because you can 4-wheel drift a car that you can panic turn to avoid an accident just as well.
I've driven through 12" of snow with ASRs with good tread. I've also drive FWD with snow tires. AWD FAR outhandles a FWD vehicle with snow tires. If you want a good handling, all condition vehicle, AWD is by far the choice. No other tires necessary, no changing tires, no spinning wheels, no problem.

And yet AGAIN. FWD is not an option, so forget about it. If it's not AWD, it's crossed off.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
And yet AGAIN. FWD is not an option, so forget about it. If it's not AWD, it's crossed off.
Guess you'll have to cross off the Subaru if it doesn't have stability control in the price bracket you are looking at. Toshi can confirm this:

Canadian Driver said:
However, the Outback doesn't have stability control, and like many all-wheel drive vehicles, its tail will let go when cornering if you're not careful. It's not hard to regain control if you have some experience with a sliding car, but don't expect the Outback (or any car, for that matter) to do your driving for you. You need room, and to prevent this kind of mishap, you need to keep it slow.

Sonata FWD (in a test of 15 vehicles, 7 of which were AWD)

On its Toyo Garrit HT winter tires, the Hyundai Sonata GLS V6 was also something of a revelation. What an utterly stable and controllable car this is! Light and precise steering, easy acceleration, and very sure stopping were the characteristics of the Sonata as it moved through our exercises. The GLS V6 Sonata does have traction control, but the overall balance of the car coupled with the gnarly tread of the Toyo tires didn't require its intervention very much. However, take the tires off and replace them with standard all-seasons in these conditions, and the Sonata becomes average. Of all the vehicles, it was the Sonata that best demonstrated the benefits of winter versus all-season tires on icy/slippery surfaces. Our scores put it toward the top of the results on the Garrit HTs, and mid-pack on the all-seasons.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
are you the girl who posted this thread?

I'm not saying she should get a FWD car, I'm just making the point not to keep your head up your rear about refusing to put for the 200$ on new wheels and tires. I spent $150 on 4 near new snow tires, mounted and balanced, plus 4 extra rims, and one extra tire. That's not a lot of money for added security.

If you know exactly what's best for her, why don't you tell her and close this stupid thread? You seem to negate everybody else's comments, no matter what they suggest...I just don't get it.

Buy a subaru to appease the various monkeys, get over the lack of interior space and the cheap interior, and be done with it.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!

I would definitely agree. My tires, on my AWD, passed inspection back in September, but definitely needed replacement (low tread) and
I found myself loosing traction on the fresh snow early in the winter. There is NO replacement for good tires (AWD, 4WD or other!)

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
are you the girl who posted this thread?

I'm not saying she should get a FWD car, I'm just making the point not to keep your head up your rear about refusing to put for the 200$ on new wheels and tires. I spent $150 on 4 near new snow tires, mounted and balanced, plus 4 extra rims, and one extra tire. That's not a lot of money for added security.

If you know exactly what's best for her, why don't you tell her and close this stupid thread? You seem to negate everybody else's comments, no matter what they suggest...I just don't get it.

Buy a subaru to appease the various monkeys, get over the lack of interior space and the cheap interior, and be done with it.
No I am not the original poster, however I am the one who's working with her to help her decide what she needs. And you're keeping your head up your ass and ignoring the fact that I never said new TIRES are not necessary. I said SNOW tires are unnecessary on an AWD vehicle. I'd challenge you to put snow tires on the Corolla she has now and have it get better traction than an AWD vehicle with good radials. The entire point of this is that hearing about the joys of snow tires is unnecessary. What is wanted is something to put radials on and not worry about it. That's it. And I don't understand why you seem to keep harping on the same point. It's a pain in the ass to have to change tires twice a year, hence the invention of radials. And frankly, why bother with the extra money if your drivetrain is more than sufficient to get you through?

Yes, I negated a lot of comments. I negated an OLD Audi. I negated an Element, and gave reasons why. I negated the idea of an older/high mileage vehicle. Those are not unreasonable comments, especially after her and I have discussed this infinitely more than your input has been considered. People like Syd have given LOADS of useful information on different vehicles that have been mentioned. THAT'S the information that is appreciated, not "dude, get some snow tires and suck it up". :rolleyes:

Syd - The traction control (whatever Subaru calls it) is definitely on the radar and is part of the decision. FWIW, I've never had a problem with my Subarus without stability control. I'm not autocrossing in the snow either.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Syd - The traction control (whatever Subaru calls it) is definitely on the radar and is part of the decision. FWIW, I've never had a problem with my Subarus without stability control. I'm not autocrossing in the snow either.
Traction control is different than stability control. The canadian driver article was written about winter driving, not autocrossing. Toshi wasn't autocrossing, he was driving in the rain on the highway. It is still a valid concern. The cheapest 4 cylinder subaru you'll find the VDC (stability control) on is the new 2008 legacy (no longer offered in a wagon) and outback unless you can find a good deal on V6 used (mostly top of the line outback until 06 or 07 MY and then it was limited to certain V6 editions).

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
Traction control is different than stability control. The canadian driver article was written about winter driving, not autocrossing. Toshi wasn't autocrossing, he was driving in the rain on the highway. It is still a valid concern. The cheapest 4 cylinder subaru you'll find the VDC (stability control) on is the new 2008 legacy and outback unless you can find a good deal on V6 used (mostly top of the line outback until 06 or 07 MY and then it was limited to certain V6 editions).

Well, the thought I was referring to is tear-assing through the snow isn't the greatest idea I've ever seen either.

So it's '08 that the stability control comes to the 4 cylinder Outbacks. I was curious when you mentioned that (didn't see it on Subaru's site). I can't even begin to read that chart, so I'll have to ask what are they anticipating the price of the SC option on the 2.5i model Outbacks?

I think the H6 Outbacks are out of the question d/t the gas mileage and high initial cost.

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
Ok, and here's the next thought:

The Outback (figuring no VDC system) is mechanical AWD with viscous limited slip front and limited slip in the rear. The Rav4 is electronic 4WD (electronic on demand) with Traciton control and VSC. Which turns out being the more reliable and consistent handling system?

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
Jesus Christ....she's not going to be driving up Mt. Everest. :rolleyes: Have her drive a RAV4 and a Subaru and which ever one has the better stereo wins.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
So it's '08 that the stability control comes to the 4 cylinder Outbacks. I was curious when you mentioned that (didn't see it on Subaru's site). I can't even begin to read that chart, so I'll have to ask what are they anticipating the price of the SC option on the 2.5i model Outbacks?
I would guess around upper 26 to 27K flat with the IMBA invoice deal on the 4cylinder Limited. VDC doesn't add very much to the price.

I posted an better version of the 08 information easier to understand in my original post with the chart. Find the 2008 Legacy/Outback NASIOC thread here.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
No I am not the original poster, however I am the one who's working with her to help her decide what she needs. And you're keeping your head up your ass and ignoring the fact that I never said new TIRES are not necessary. I said SNOW tires are unnecessary on an AWD vehicle. I'd challenge you to put snow tires on the Corolla she has now and have it get better traction than an AWD vehicle with good radials. The entire point of this is that hearing about the joys of snow tires is unnecessary. What is wanted is something to put radials on and not worry about it. That's it. And I don't understand why you seem to keep harping on the same point. It's a pain in the ass to have to change tires twice a year, hence the invention of radials. And frankly, why bother with the extra money if your drivetrain is more than sufficient to get you through?

Yes, I negated a lot of comments. I negated an OLD Audi. I negated an Element, and gave reasons why. I negated the idea of an older/high mileage vehicle. Those are not unreasonable comments, especially after her and I have discussed this infinitely more than your input has been considered. People like Syd have given LOADS of useful information on different vehicles that have been mentioned. THAT'S the information that is appreciated, not "dude, get some snow tires and suck it up". :rolleyes:

I would gladly take that challenge. Even a corolla with studded 185s will run circles around most AWD cars with fat all seasons.

I never said "dude". I said you stand a better chance of getting stuck with all seasons on AWD, RWD, or FWD.

Snow tires are radial. All tires except for on lifted trucks are steel-belted radials. They have been for a long time (1970). Bias-ply tires are inferior for most driving conditions.

http://www.wisegeek.com/do-i-need-to-use-different-tires-in-the-summer-and-winter.htm

Plus, you should have your tires taken off at least once a year to check for damage, do brake work, or rotate your tires. That sure seems like a fair time to me to swap them for winter tires.

I'm sorry to have sidetracked this topic, I'll bow out. You can slide around all you want to, but the benefits of proper tires don't need to be argued. Would you run pythons on a dh bike? Or gazzalodi's on a xc race?

BlueBug, I don't care which car you buy, but seriously, do yourself a favor and invest in decent tires. It's an excellent choice to buy an AWD car, the benefits are immense in all conditions, but if deep snow and snowstorms are going to be a big part of your driving, you should factor in an extra little bit of money for good tires. There's one thing I'm sure about, and that's that your tires matter more than anything else on your car.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Ok, and here's the next thought:

The Outback (figuring no VDC system) is mechanical AWD with viscous limited slip front and limited slip in the rear. The Rav4 is electronic 4WD (electronic on demand) with Traciton control and VSC. Which turns out being the more reliable and consistent handling system?
Toyota is infamous for their overly protective kill joy electro nanny VSC systems. Performance drivers hate it because its way too conservative, it won't let you drive very close to the vehicle's limits.

That said, Subaru AWD with VDC is supposedly more conservative than the Audi, BMW, or Benz Torsen (mechanical) AWD systems with stability control.

Also note CRV and RAV4 have better rated braking results than the Subaru:

Latest CR braking - Dry/Wet
07 redesign CRV 135/139
06 redesign RAV4 132/139
05 current Outback 141/158

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Jesus Christ....she's not going to be driving up Mt. Everest. :rolleyes: Have her drive a RAV4 and a Subaru and which ever one has the better stereo wins.
Seriously, Rob, you're acting like you live in the tundra. Middle of NY does not the arctic make.

If my 88 Accord with snow tires made it up snowpacked 10k foot mountain canyons, any FWD car will. AWD in cars for snow is mostly marketing unless you're in it for the performance, IMHO.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
I like Tigg's line of thinking. But I'd think whichever includes a hitch rack for cheaper would get the nod. ;)
Don't buy an OEM hitch - they'll rob you. Buy it from www.etrailer.com or www.hitch-web.com if you DIY or get it installed at u-haul (or similar).

Same goes for factory stereos - major rip off and usually the premium stereo offered is pathetic compared to an aftermarket alpine or pioneer system.

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
Ding, ding, ding....give the man a beer!

As for everyone else in the ring, chill out (Rob included ;) ). I'm a chick who wants to feel safe, be able to leave the house in the snow, haul my bike safely, and have some cash left over for other more important things.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Helpful information for used car prospects...

automotive.com said:
Warranty Direct, looked at the reliability of more than 450,000 vehicles from 33 manufacturers, across the United States and United Kingdom. The resulting &#8216;Reliability League Table&#8217; shows the number of failures reported for every 100 vehicles covered by Warranty Direct&#8217;s policies. Mazda was rated number one with a failure rate of just 8.04 percent of vehicles aged between three and nine years old.

&#8220;The exceptional build-quality and long-term reliability of Mazda vehicles is something we have been proud of for quite some time,&#8221; said Jim O&#8217;Sullivan, President and CEO, Mazda North American Operations. &#8220;The findings of this recent report reinforce what we&#8217;ve believed all along &#8211; that Mazda reliability is not just very good, it&#8217;s the best. These results are proof that Mazda builds stylish and exciting vehicles without sacrificing quality or reliability.&#8221;

Headquartered in Irvine, Calif., Mazda North American Operations oversees the sales, marketing, parts and customer service support of Mazda vehicles in the United States, Canada and Mexico through nearly 900 dealers. Operations in Canada are managed by Mazda Canada, Inc., located in Ontario, Canada, and in Mexico by Mazda Motor de Mexico in Mexico City.

Warranty DIRECT &#8216;Reliability League Table&#8217; 2007

TOP 10 RESULTS

Manufacturer Incidence Rate %*

1 Mazda 8.04

2 Honda 8.90

3 Toyota 15.78

4 Mitsubishi 17.04

5 Kia 17.39

6 Subaru 18.46

7 Nissan 18.86

8 Lexus 20.05

9 Mini 21.90

10 Citroen 25.98

* Number of mechanical failures reported by policy holders for every 100 vehicles aged between three and nine years old.
Warranty Direct is the consumer division of one of the largest independent car warranty providers in the United States and Canada. We are a 27 year old company with the experience of nearly 2 million extended warranty contracts sold and over $500,000,000 in paid claims. In addition to offering our coverage direct to consumers, over 2,200 manufacturers, car dealers, banks and credit unions choose to market our automobile extended warranties.

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot
^ and Mazda! There is no way in hell that has any credibility here in NA. Ever own a 90's mazda? Its the Japanese Ford.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
^ and Mazda! There is no way in hell that has any credibility here in NA. Ever own a 90's mazda? Its the Japanese Ford.
As it says 33 different car companies for cars aged between 3-9 years old.

Mazdas have several distinct technical difference than their Ford counterparts and most are made in Japan, not the US.

2 million extended warranty contracts sold and over $500,000,000 in paid claims

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I like the Mazdas, but they're all FWD.
not true! my rx-8 is rwd :D as is the venerable miata/mx-5

and the mazdaspeed3, mazdaspeed6, cx-7, cx-9, tribute, and the truck lineup are available in awd.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
I like Tigg's line of thinking. But I'd think whichever includes a hitch rack for cheaper would get the nod. ;)
Watch out on this option too...I installed my own Reese hitch (and for a LOT less than the dealer option) because I wanted a 2" receiver and the dealership hitch was only a 1 1/4". I wanted the 2" because I have a Sportworks DH/FR Rack and didn't want to use the adaptor because it stuck out a bit further and wasn't nearly as stable.