Quantcast

Recommend a bike friendly wagon or small SUV

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
my gfs mazda is fabulous.

the cx7 is pretty rad too, more of a tall wagon than an SUV. I'd consider one if I were going used. It's got a 4cyl too, so it may be more efficient...but don't bet on superb gas mileage.

The mazda 3 hatch is a good option too, but you don't want fwd.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
whoops, just realized that the mazdaspeed3 isn't awd. it should be tho. :D the others on the list are correct tho, i think. maybe? bah

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
ya, the 323 GTX still has a bit of a cult following, and there's a seattle local who tears it up at autoxs, on the track, and at rallies with his.

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
So, I did some test driving today

and....

Subaru Outback '07 - Nice car, but a bit too big and grocery and soccer ball getting for this point in my life ;)

Toyota Rav4 '07 - Chintzy interior, jerky acceleration, freakin' too huge, felt like I was floating a mile away from the door...or anything.

Rav4 '05 - Same as above, slightly less nauseating interior, still floating

The verdict...No SUV for me (and, no, Al Gore didn't pay me to say that).

And then I test drove something I hadn't considered:

Rubber was shed on the pavement --this thing can really move! Put a tow hitch on the back.

Didn't buy one yet though....

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
sweet. did you test drive a turbo (wrx) one, or the 2.5i/outback sport variety? both are nice little rides as you well know.

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
Out of my mind, back in a moment.
sweet. did you test drive a turbo (wrx) one, or the 2.5i/outback sport variety? both are nice little rides as you well know.
Test drove the Outback Sport. Really a nice car...not at all what I expected. I didn't think it would have the handling prowess or the power delivery that it did. They were quite busy, otherwise we would have probably driven a WRX just for fun.

On a side note, the new Outbacks are FUN to drive for a full size wagon. The tiptronic transmission was a bit odd to get used to, but it worked well enough I guess.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
My Outback Sport has plenty of room in the back for bikes if you're folding one or both of the rear seats down. You can carry 3 people and 3 bikes easily with all your gear if you fold the 60% seat down in back and lay the bike down there, stash the gear on the other side behind the rear passenger in the 40% seat, and put 2 bikes on the hitch rack. On long trips, we've fit 4 people by taking off wheels, turning stems/bars sideways, and using the small basket I have on top for extra gear.

I got a bolt-on trailer hitch from the Internet (e-trailer or something that someone mentioned, which went on in a few minutes with a socket wrench. I'm honestly thinking of ditching the hitch rack, though, now that I'm shuttling less, and putting a rack on top.

I like the car; very much recommend it in standard compared to the auto.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Test drove the Outback Sport. Really a nice car...not at all what I expected. I didn't think it would have the handling prowess or the power delivery that it did. They were quite busy, otherwise we would have probably driven a WRX just for fun.

On a side note, the new Outbacks are FUN to drive for a full size wagon. The tiptronic transmission was a bit odd to get used to, but it worked well enough I guess.
I recall the salesman being very surprised at how fast the Outback Sport could go/turn...he said "No one ever test drives this car correctly...you guys all try out the WRXs..." Then again, I guess he was trying to flatter me into buying it. But the WRX just didn't make sense for me, either...interior was too nice for what I'd do with it, premium gas costs mucho $$$, etc. etc. The OS is a pretty basic, utilitarian car that's still fun enough to drive.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
I got a bolt-on trailer hitch from the Internet (e-trailer or something that someone mentioned, which went on in a few minutes with a socket wrench. I'm honestly thinking of ditching the hitch rack, though, now that I'm shuttling less, and putting a rack on top.
really? why is that? i much prefer the better gas mileage and relative quietness of the hitch rack as compared to the roof rack.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
really? why is that? i much prefer the better gas mileage and relative quietness of the hitch rack as compared to the roof rack.
-Don't ride as much

-Wife has trouble with hitch rack...doesn't like backing up with it on, can't open and shut it to get to the tailgate by herself

-Lot of weight on the rear end, especially considering I'm not riding that much

-Don't feel like taking rack off when not riding to combat last issue, as I have nowhere to keep it and it's a PITA to carry it from the apartment to the car anyhow

So I figure a single tray on top with the little spoiler-thing on front might be the better way to go these days, or just throw it in the back...

MD

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Watch out on this option too...I installed my own Reese hitch (and for a LOT less than the dealer option) because I wanted a 2" receiver and the dealership hitch was only a 1 1/4". I wanted the 2" because I have a Sportworks DH/FR Rack and didn't want to use the adaptor because it stuck out a bit further and wasn't nearly as stable.
There aren't 2" hitches available for most small cars. But if you live anywhere near Mexico (or anyplace else with lots of custom towing/offroad places), it's a pretty easy deal to have someone cut off the 1 1/4 receiver and weld on a 2, so long as you're not using it for towing, just carrying a bike rack.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
I'm definitely going with the hitch rack, though I'm hoping to throw the bike in the back of the car when it's clean before a ride.
Putting the bike in a sportworks hitch rack is a lot easier than unfolding the rack, opening the hatch, and cramming the bike in back while leaning over the unfolded rack and probably smacking your shin on it while the handlebars flail around wildly inside the rear.