Quantcast

Ridemonkey March Madness bracket manager challenge

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I don't know a freakin' thing about college basketball, but Jenn does brackets every year so I took a blind stab at it. Same name there as here.

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
i just kind of picked whatever for most of the games and then i put uconn as going all the way for the hell of it.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Dickie V said no team who lost in the 1st round of the Big East Tourney won the NCAA's...

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
sanjuro said:
Dickie V said no team who lost in the 1st round of the Big East Tourney won the NCAA's...
and no six seed had ever won the Super Bowl, and no team had ever come back from an 0-3 deficit in baseball.

BTW, UConn lost in the quarterfinals, not the first round. And Dickie V still picks UConn to win it all.

:)

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I Are Baboon said:
and no six seed had ever won the Super Bowl, and no team had ever come back from an 0-3 deficit in baseball.

BTW, UConn lost in the quarterfinals, not the first round. And Dickie V still picks UConn to win it all.

:)
I figured Dickie V meant the first round with all the seeds, not the "playoff round" on Wednesday.

Anyway, that is what Dickie V said, so take it up with him!!!!

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
I Are Baboon said:
That group message board sucks! I had a nice reply to one of chicodude's posts, but it appears you can't reply to posts there.

:mad:

Anything you got to say, do it now....CHUMP

:oink:

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
jdschall said:
Duke vs UConn in the final. UConn for the title.
Hells yeah, go huskies!! That would be so rad. I was a UConn student when they first started kicking butt on a national level. Definitely a great rivalry. I still hate Christian Latner for knocking us out one year at the buzzer. I am not a big sports guy but the college hoops tourney is still great.

Losing in the Big East tourney was a lesson they will keep in mind at the big dance.

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
wow, alot more support for uconn here than i had thought. my sister goes to uconn and is obsessed with the basketball team. she got tickets to all of the home games and im wondering if she will get to any of the march madness games.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
OGRipper said:
Hells yeah, go huskies!! That would be so rad. I was a UConn student when they first started kicking butt on a national level. Definitely a great rivalry. I still hate Christian Latner for knocking us out one year at the buzzer. I am not a big sports guy but the college hoops tourney is still great.

Losing in the Big East tourney was a lesson they will keep in mind at the big dance.
You were thre during the Tate George years? Cool. Who would've ever thought UConn would become such a national powerhouse in hoops? Connecticut fans are spoiled and don't appreciate what they've got here. UConn won't be this good forever, so the state should really savor what they've got.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I Are Baboon said:
You were thre during the Tate George years? Cool. Who would've ever thought UConn would become such a national powerhouse in hoops? Connecticut fans are spoiled and don't appreciate what they've got here. UConn won't be this good forever, so the state should really savor what they've got.
OK, UConn is all done then? They are perennial powerhouses in mens and womens, and if you lived in Ct like I did, that is never going to change.

UConn is dumping a ton of cash into their athletic programs (see their football team), and it is going to continue.

UConn has had its renaissance since Jim Calhoun came on in 1986. But maybe a twenty year run is just a flash in the pan?

http://www.uconnhuskies.com/sports/MBasketball/records/timeline.html

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
sanjuro said:
OK, UConn is all done then?
:confused:

Where did I say that? I said they won't be this good forever. I think they'll always be a solid program but I am not so conviced they'll be consistently at the top of the polls once Jim Calhoun leaves.

Btw, I kind of live in CT (Simsbury) and always have.

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
What team has been the best forever (except the bosox)? These things go in cycles and right now uconn is on top of their game.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
What is a college b-ball cycle then? Twenty years, Thirty?

Obviously, a great team is not going to win the National Championship every year. But the powerhouses always make the Tournament, usually make at least the Sixteen, and compete in the Final Four every 5-7 years. This is over a stretch of 15+ years.

I think UConn qualifies there.

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
I don't know but I bet if you care enough to research the history of college b-ball there's been periods of time where powerhouses like Duke and UNC have sucked.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
dfinn said:
I don't know but I bet if you care enough to research the history of college b-ball there's been periods of time where powerhouses like Duke and UNC have sucked.
Believe it or not, fans hung Dean Smith in effigy in his years as coach. But he consistently had decent teams every year.

I remember one season where Mike Ksyskiewi (I refuse to look the spelling) hurt his back, and they sucked then too. But an one year blip is not sucking.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
sanjuro said:
What is a college b-ball cycle then? Twenty years, Thirty?

Obviously, a great team is not going to win the National Championship every year. But the powerhouses always make the Tournament, usually make at least the Sixteen, and compete in the Final Four every 5-7 years. This is over a stretch of 15+ years.

I think UConn qualifies there.
Well I hope you end up being more right than me! I still say CT fans are spoiled.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I Are Baboon said:
Tate George...now there's a blast from the blast...will never forget that buzzer beating fade away jumper off of Scott Burrell's baseball throw from the other end of the court. I think that was the first year I was there.

CT hoop fans might be spoiled but really, what other college sports are there for them to cheer for? Sure they will have off years but there is no reason they can't build a lasting dynasty. I don't even really follow it that much any more (except to see how they do in March) but the real question is what will happen when Calhoun leaves.