Quantcast

Sandhill getting sued?!?!?!

yojimborace

Monkey
Oct 26, 2004
SC
That's such crap dude. How do you not see a frekin huge water truck?? We aren't gonna have anywhere to ride at this rate.... :dead:

:stosh:

It never ceases to amaze me peoples' lack of own self accountability. It's really sad that our society deems this litigious practice acceptable. I guess *assumed liabilty* doesn't mean anything anymore. While I've never ridden there, I'd like to think that IF I decided I wanted to go check it out, it would be there.

One of the reasons I joined the Surfrider Foundation was to protect threatened breaks so that they would be available to anyone willing to travel there, whether it be local, abroad or somewhere I'll personally never make it to. The point is, at least they are out there fighting for maintained accessability. It's too bad there isn't a similarly powerful presence in the mountain bike community. You'd really think that with all the money the manufacturers put into our sport, they'd help rally a little more in support of their customer base.

Sorry to ramble on but these types of cases really chap my hide! :mumble:

wXman

Chimp
Aug 30, 2004
San Jose, CA
:mad: ....WTF is going on here...jheeeebus!!! First MB's gets mowed (regardless if thats an annual event as I'm told), then Cali gets fenced/"temporarily" shut down, then Skaggs (decent ST at least) gets closed b/c of trail "re-alignment", then Nisene/Demo is a RCH away from getting shut down completely (at least legally) and now....this......Gawd pretty soon the only "legal" ST in the area will be the "side trail" to Los Gatos Creek Bikepath

WTF ever! Our litigious society is just plan friggin out of line and out of control. Sorry, but if you MTB or MX and especially if you participate in riding even moderately challenging DH/Freeride terrain stunts/DJ's...you're GONNA fall and your gonna get hurt sometimes...JHCheeerist deal with and accept it....it's part of the package goin in :rolleyes:

Apologies to CJ and the kid that got hurt at Cali - I wouldn't wish personal, permanent injury on anyone...but can you truly, innocently say that you did NOT know of the risks going in, and choose to participate anyway??? And if so, how can that be anyone's risk but your own???? I lost interest in surfing because the ppl that participate in it can be - uhm - how shall we say this, horses arses? But at least there, at the elite/expert levels, you don't have ppl trying to sue the Ocean for "negligence" when then get hurt, and getting the great beaches/breaks shut down (although...I'm sure we could see a civil suit like that someday.... :mumble: ) ok, might be done with rant

maybe he thought he'd clear the truck??
What a JackArse and a half!
This realy sucks for the SandHill Crew. (But man, not carrying insurance, OUCH, this is gonna hurt...Legal fees alone are going to shut down the track.)

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
i like the fact that he was on the track after it had been cleared of all riders.

well it sucks, that place looks cool in all the pics i have seen, but really there is no reason to get all bent out of shape about it.

there are only 2 things that can really be done

1. kill him, if he is dead there will be no lawsuit
2. accept the fact that we live in an extremely litigious society where it is easier to sue than it is to accept liability for your own actions.

scurban

Turbo Monkey
Jul 11, 2004
SC
hmmm No one is accountable for their actions anymore! What a f@ckin' loser the CJ guy is! To bad he didn't die in the accident! Does Anyone know if there is a way to help the Andersens out?

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Internal14 said:
maybe he thought he'd clear the truck??
What a JackArse and a half!
This realy sucks for the SandHill Crew. (But man, not carrying insurance, OUCH, this is gonna hurt...Legal fees alone are going to shut down the track.)
Yeah, not carring insurace is a bad move.

scurban

Turbo Monkey
Jul 11, 2004
SC
More more a$$holes in our own sport get leagal places to ride shut down, the more illlegal riding we'll all have to do! ........... Its really to bad!

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
Not that I think that it is the fault of Sandhill and that they should be sued, but knowing the society that we live in, they should have put up cones and stuff on the track on that little rise in front of the truck.

Overall, it is still the RIDERS FAULT though.

DHanamal

Monkey
Nov 25, 2001
Boulder, CO
Sand hill should get a good lawyer, the track was cleared of riders. So this dude decided to poach, and got hurt in the process. That's like driving on a closed road, and driving off of a bridge that's out.

Lucee

govenor
Jan 16, 2002
nor cal
My favorite part is where CJ is suing for lost wages, as he "only had another year to turn pro." Bejesus, someone's money hungry. How the he11 can someone propose that they are to make money offa racing pro? This guy not only has no sense of self responsibity, but isn't all that smart to make said claims. Unless, he can somehow prove how he was going to lose out on all that money. Got sponsors lined up already, kiddo?

I feel so bad for sandhill, they are great people and extremely helpful. Those two are all about solidarty among two-wheelers and it's sad when this crap happens.

Anyway, that's enough about that, I'm back into my world of apathy...

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
what amazes me is that these individuals WIN these cases... how the **** does that happen? :(

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Vans skateparks are for the most part a losing proposition, when they embarked on their journey to open parks all over suburbia, there were very few city or county operated parks in CA, now with the popularity of Tony hawk Pro Skater and skating in general, almost every city has some form of a park or even two so Vans is shutting down there facilities one-by-one. They can't get people to come and pay when they can ride at home for free...

All I can say about the whole legal hoopla going on right now is BAH, GET A DAMN LIFE! I lose every ounce of sympathy for these people regardless of how injured they are when they go about ridiculous things like this.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Our local county has gotten on board with the MTBers and have given us land, truck loads of dirt, manpower, and machinery time to construct a MTNx course, an expanding DJ park and the freedom to build trails how we want. I am waiting for the day to drive up and see the park closed due to some MORON who got hurt there full knowing that riding MTNx and DJing is potentially dangerous.

Sorry to hear fellas... :(

If he wins, we need to send a letter to a senator or something. How is this America when people can do things like this? Are judges that stupid, are they blackmailed, what is it? Is they anywhere in the world where this doesn't happen, because I would move there in a flash.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Please excuse my ignorance, but the guy who was injured was racing an Intermediate class right before his injury. And he was possibly turning Pro within a year? How do the classes go? I thought an intermediate rider is kinda like the Sport class, am I wrong here?

offdawalley

Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
hella over the rainbow
It's bull that the guy was turning pro, and its a@@holes like CJ who are taking huge amounts of money from people like Phil, and taking away one of the very few riding spots that we have left, all of his charges are bs, so Sand HIll might have a chance of winning the case, but I seriously doubt it, people like that who are looking to blame someone else for their misfortunes are bringing this country down, if it gets closed, I'm writing a letter to a royal senater about this, everything looks like it's going to get closed at this rate

scurban

Turbo Monkey
Jul 11, 2004
SC
Its sucks, When Cali Closed I said to myself, "Damn that sucks, at least I can still go to Vans, and do the races at Sand Hill" Now Vans is closed, and Sand Hill sounds like it will follow soon. All in a very short period of time too. So now, I plan on riding on my favorite illegal spots here in Santa Cruz, At this rate, I'm sure its only a matter of time before they get plowed, or shut down. I avoid certain trails now as it is....(partly my fault for helping build on them) Its really frustrating. Not to mention, anytime something legal like Sand Hill gets sued, It scares other people from opening up new riding areas. Looking at examples like this, you can see why parks and rec are so strict about where to allow people to ride. One misplaced rock can lead to a muli-million dollor lawsuit. It all boils down to greedy lawyers, and individuals with out the courage to take accountabilty for their actions.

DLo

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
South Bay Area, CA
Jestere said:
If he wins, we need to send a letter to a senator or something. How is this America when people can do things like this? Are judges that stupid, are they blackmailed, what is it? Is they anywhere in the world where this doesn't happen, because I would move there in a flash.
Yeah, like that's gonna do much... :( I doubt the senators care much about this junk, or else the cases would have different outcomes already.

No wonder the bay area sucks, I talk to my friends' fathers all the time and they can go on and on about how they used to be able to ride dirt bikes down the street and into the hills. Now it seems like anything fun is illegal!

Is there anything that we could do to help out sandhill?

Fury

Monkey
Oct 9, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Lucee said:
My favorite part is where CJ is suing for lost wages, as he "only had another year to turn pro." Bejesus, someone's money hungry. How the he11 can someone propose that they are to make money offa racing pro? This guy not only has no sense of self responsibity, but isn't all that smart to make said claims. Unless, he can somehow prove how he was going to lose out on all that money. Got sponsors lined up already, kiddo?

I feel so bad for sandhill, they are great people and extremely helpful. Those two are all about solidarty among two-wheelers and it's sad when this crap happens.

Anyway, that's enough about that, I'm back into my world of apathy...
CJ and his lawyer are going to sue for everything possible in the hopes of getting something... anything. They're also sueing a bunch of different people for the same reasons, they're hoping something will stick.

They're going to have to prove gross negligence on the part of Sand Hill which will probably be very difficult considering the amount of time he's been riding there and the number of times he's witnessed the track being closed down for watering. The amount of waivers he's signed don't mean **** if they can prove negligence.

There has got to be some lawyers that ride bikes that would take the case on for the good of mountain biking. Post in all the local NorCal forums you can find, maybe someone feels as strongly about this bull**** as you guys do.

Good Luck!

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
mountain biking lawyers is a shot in the dark, look for a lawyer that rides MX who hates the legal system and is willing to counter sue this CJ for damage to the water truck plus the cost of downtime to the truck, plus legal fees, plus whatever else they can cook up.

Fury

Monkey
Oct 9, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Spoke to my law prof today and explained the situation with all the information Sandhill has provided. Basically, the waiver should hold but it's not a question of whether Sandhill is right or not, it's how much $$ they have to fight it. Would it be worth it to just pay out? It's unlikely cuz then you'd have every redneck on the west coast smashing their bikes into water trucks for the big payout.

Hopefully they find a MX lawyer with a grudge against idiots.

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
Fury said:
Spoke to my law prof today and explained the situation with all the information Sandhill has provided. Basically, the waiver should hold but it's not a question of whether Sandhill is right or not, it's how much $$ they have to fight it.
Yup, not a lawyer, but read enough of it. In order to prove that Sandhill was grossly negligent in the way they ran the course, the lawyer will have to prove that Sandhill did not act in good faith. So basically, they will have to prove that clearing the course of riders to prevent any potential injuries was not in the best interests of all parties.

If Sandhill is taken to court and eventually wins, they can countersue for court and lawyer fees if the original lawsuit doesn't already specify so.

Still, it might be in Sandhill's best interest to take down that page. I can't reallly say why, but for some reason I think it could come back to haunt them, or at least how it's presented.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Interesting. I've heard the Sand Hill neighbors have been battling over the noise and "crowds" for years. Wonder if they are financing the lawsuit? Maybe just conspiracy but it makes ya wonder.

Either way this is crap.