Quantcast

Santa Cruz v-10 gen 8 and adjustments

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
As much as adjustable geometry/headset cups and stuff seems cool, I'd reckon that 99.9% of riders never touch it. It's because people are easily adaptable for a degree of HTA or half inch of wheelbase, so they just never go to the trouble. I don't think it really serves any purpose, unless you are actively using different size wheels, like on my fatbike with two rear dropouts, I can run the biggest big tires or smaller ones and I adjust that one for those radical differences, but on any other bike I've had, I've just never touched this type of stuff when present.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
As much as adjustable geometry/headset cups and stuff seems cool, I'd reckon that 99.9% of riders never touch it. It's because people are easily adaptable for a degree of HTA or half inch of wheelbase, so they just never go to the trouble. I don't think it really serves any purpose, unless you are actively using different size wheels, like on my fatbike with two rear dropouts, I can run the biggest big tires or smaller ones and I adjust that one for those radical differences, but on any other bike I've had, I've just never touched this type of stuff when present.

It is supposed to be a DH race bike and I would assume anyone who is competitive and technically apt would be very interested in such adjustments based on track conditions.

Like a fully adjusted suspension probably just more settings to get wrong for daft weekend wannabes.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
only ones i've ever had were the g3 adjustable dropouts on my old uzzi, which i really liked. but they were a different animal than today's flip chips.
those were bolts

fun fact: I'm the one that convinced intense to change dropouts to slacken bikes, notably the first gen uzzi I had

They sent me a prototype in january and then started bugging me like two days later to tell them what I thought. I had to explain to them what tahoe looks like in january :rofl:

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
One of my old Deliriums had adjustable chainstay length in addition to head angle.
It rode noticeably different when fully slack and in long position compared to steep and short.
Was it huge, no, but it was there. Dropouts never creaked either.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
It is supposed to be a DH race bike and I would assume anyone who is competitive and technically apt would be very interested in such adjustments based on track conditions.

Like a fully adjusted suspension probably just more settings to get wrong for daft weekend wannabes.
I stand by it, that 99.9% of riders (excluding Kidwoo) on it won't touch it. You could say that about virtually any top of the line bike.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I stand by it, that 99.9% of riders (excluding Kidwoo) on it won't touch it. You could say that about virtually any top of the line bike.
In my cases they were definitely bike dependent. I've certainly had some with adjustments I never touched, some I would change quite a bit every time I rode my dh bike somewhere other than northstar because northstar is kind of unique.

I also moved fork legs around regularly and had a box of different tuned shocks, so frame adjustments were just part of it. I'd use the high setting on my dhr to run 26" wheels, low to run 27.5s etc...

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
on my fatbike with two rear dropouts, I can run the biggest big tires or smaller ones and I adjust that one for those radical differences
Let me save you some time: Just leave the dropouts with most tyre clearance on. It's a fatbike

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Let me save you some time: Just leave the dropouts with most tyre clearance on. It's a fatbike
Wheelies are easier with the wheel set in the forward position, plus the summer tires fit just fine there too. These wheels are both the same size, 27.5.
382004936_10102880247039038_8171938809167873529_n.jpg

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
Most of the frame adjustments I leave alone after initial setup. The flip chip for BB height / HA adjustment I swap for different types of riding. But if it weren't for the adjustments that I only touch once, I might be stuck with longer chainstays or a slacker head angle than I like on a frame that is otherwise perfect. These adjustments are partly to make a frame fit more riders' preferences.

Out of curiosity: I rode a Super 8, then 3 generations of V10, now the current Gambler. I think the Gambler is perfect. What does this new V10 do better? It certainly gets more hype than the Gambler.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Most of the frame adjustments I leave alone after initial setup. The flip chip for BB height / HA adjustment I swap for different types of riding. But if it weren't for the adjustments that I only touch once, I might be stuck with longer chainstays or a slacker head angle than I like on a frame that is otherwise perfect. These adjustments are partly to make a frame fit more riders' preferences.

Out of curiosity: I rode a Super 8, then 3 generations of V10, now the current Gambler. I think the Gambler is perfect. What does this new V10 do better? It certainly gets more hype than the Gambler.
Don't know on Gambler, I am curious on V10 characteristics.

@buckoW may have input on the gambler and it's characteristics

As far as adjustments, same here...I find my spot and then just ride...may change progression based on where we are riding and terrain but that's about it.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Wheelies are easier with the wheel set in the forward position,
No they're not.
Holding wheelies at balance point is actually calmer with slightly longer chainstays. Getting to the balance point is always easiest from a slow start and using lower gearing. (which Fatbike always have). So long as you know that chainstay length doesn't really hinder anything.
Fatbike beach riding was massive around here for a while and although I personally find it the dullest riding possible I'm not shy to ask for a quick shot of others bikes. This has meant I've had shots of absolutely tons of the things over the years and wheelied every single one first go. From horrendous big moonlanders to small lightweight Alu/carbon fuckknoeswhats the one thing they've all shared is the massive window for error around the balance point they've given. Its litterally almost like cheating.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
No they're not.
Holding wheelies at balance point is actually calmer with slightly longer chainstays. Getting to the balance point is always easiest from a slow start and using lower gearing. (which Fatbike always have). So long as you know that chainstay length doesn't really hinder anything.
Fatbike beach riding was massive around here for a while and although I personally find it the dullest riding possible I'm not shy to ask for a quick shot of others bikes. This has meant I've had shots of absolutely tons of the things over the years and wheelied every single one first go. From horrendous big moonlanders to small lightweight Alu/carbon fuckknoeswhats the one thing they've all shared is the massive window for error around the balance point they've given. Its litterally almost like cheating.
Tried it both ways. Much easier to loft the front when the stays are shorter and that keeps energy levels higher to hold it longer.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
Very nice. Those SC frames have nice little touches that some other companies may not bother with.

The last carbon Kona Operator used similar cups to increase reach by 10mm. No creaking as long as everything was tight. I did put a thin layer of grease in there too though just in case, and like others said... set and forget. I never messed with it after.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
those were bolts

fun fact: I'm the one that convinced intense to change dropouts to slacken bikes, notably the first gen uzzi I had
Thank you for that! :thumb:

But ... cough...cough... it was the first generation of the VPP Uzzi, there were the Horst Link Uzzi SL, SLX, XC... before. :nerd:

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
It could be two simple things:

1) Santa Cruz has and has had way more presence online, with their stellar racing team, athletes and whatnot.

2) The v10, for the most part, has always looked the same. And to most, I'd guess that it was always a good looking bike. Whereas the Gambler has had a few fugly versions in the past (perhaps all, up to now). Even if the bike works really well, if it doesn't look good, it probably won't get much attention.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
I am curious as to how it rides compared the the session...was going to sell it..but not going to...rode it again the other day and the session is a fun bike....besides it a 2023 HP so it fills the void on rocks that my intense had...

Was in shop looking at both and don't need to sell it , I'll just full build the v10 and run it...

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
not with g3 dropouts there weren't
The "first generation" Uzzi VPX did not have G3 adjustability, that first was introduced with the next generation Uzzi VP as the adjustability is in the frame and not the dropout. :nerd: :busted:

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
This is why I've always liked adjustments on frames, they allow getting the bike closer to the exact right fit for you / your preferences. Sometimes being locked into the other setting (or even the middle ground) would have been a deal breaker.

Sweet rig @bullcrew !
Going full 29?

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
This is why I've always liked adjustments on frames, they allow getting the bike closer to the exact right fit for you / your preferences. Sometimes being locked into the other setting (or even the middle ground) would have been a deal breaker.

Sweet rig @bullcrew !
Going full 29?
Thanks, been wanting to run a V10

Couldn't figure out if they had it designed to be MX , but being it was the XL it was the only one with clearance to go 29 as well...or if it was 29 only..

I'll set it up however anywase but that part wasn't clear.

Agreed on this dial it in and mess with progression mainly...

Yeah I'm going mullet first and building a wheelset up in 29" so I'll have options .already ordered hubs for the 29r's..

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
The "first generation" Uzzi VPX did not have G3 adjustability,
Mine did :)

Not the same as the g3 multiple bolt options but I got them to make different dropouts

I'm not going to play intense historian with you. I'm very familiar with what I did.

They were using bolt on dropouts to account for different hub sizes. I saw that as an easy way to slacken frames they were already making so got them to make them for the first gen uzzi I had.

The next dh frames had their g3 dropouts which did the same thing just with one machined piece

Last edited:

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Mine did :)

Not the same as the g3 multiple bolt options but I got them to make different dropouts

I'm not going to play intense historian with you. I'm very familiar with what I did.

They were using bolt on dropouts to account for different hub sizes. I saw that as an easy way to slacken frames they were already making so got them to make them for the first gen uzzi I had.

The next dh frames had their g3 dropouts which did the same thing just with one machined piece
It was their standard replaceable droput system at the time so that you could switch between 135 mm and 150 mm hubs. M3, M6, Uzzi VPX, Slopestyle and Socom had it. Only for the M6 they released the special "M6 dropout" after folks had the rear tire hitting the seat tube. I guess the slacker dropouts that you convinced them to make and that they later made available in collab with Powell Precision got Jeff thinking of an adjustable version of it, the "G3", which they later used for the Uzzi VP and M9. At the same time the dropouts went to 142/150 mm and true through axles and could not be run with QR or 10 mm DT Swiss axles anymore.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Started to build and swap over to V10...
-headset is IS41 top bottom
-ohlins doesn't make a shock to fit so I'm having Jake make it
-the headset cups are the only thing I'm curious to see if they eventually wiggle loose...
-Cable routing is awesome
-build of frame is amazing everything I can see and inside is spot on...no oddball fiber layups or resin run...

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
Dang that was a fast progression from whack slacked out 26" mullets that are xxs for you and also imbued with monster energy logos to a 29" v10
:bonk: