Quantcast

Santorum: Rape babies are "God's gift to women"

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
diane watson on ward connerly....

"He's married to a white woman. He wants to be white. He wants a colorless society. He has no ethnic pride. He doesn't want to be black."

amishmatt

Turbo Monkey
Sep 21, 2005
Lancaster, PA
^^^^^The URL for that link is hilarious: http://campaignstops.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/08/22/blow-all-the-single-ladies/
Aside from the URL LOL, the article makes me "meh." Because of where I'm from and the women in my life (before I figured my own **** out, left that behind, got married, adopted a new family, etc.). My mom, grandmother, aunts, female cousins, male cousin's wives, all of them believe they're second class citizens, here to serve their husbands. Because the bible tells them so. Yeah, they'd hate to give up their vote, but only because they couldn't vote for who their husband tells them to vote for. This is the evangelical right. This is why there's no more uproar from women. They agree with Akin. And Santorum.

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Aside from the URL LOL, the article makes me "meh." Because of where I'm from and the women in my life (before I figured my own **** out, left that behind, got married, adopted a new family, etc.). My mom, grandmother, aunts, female cousins, male cousin's wives, all of them believe they're second class citizens, here to serve their husbands. Because the bible tells them so. Yeah, they'd hate to give up their vote, but only because they couldn't vote for who their husband tells them to vote for. This is the evangelical right. This is why there's no more uproar from women. They agree with Akin. And Santorum.
Nailed it!

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
I don't usually like Bill Maher, often he's a little too left for me but this article pretty much sums up how I feel about the majority of Republicans in this country.

My New Rule for Todd Akin and the Republican Party

My favorite quote:
When I say religion is a mental illness, this is what I mean: it corrodes your mental faculties to the point where you can believe in tiny ninja warriors who hide in vaginas and lie in wait for bad people's sperm.
I even had a similar discussion a few nights ago with my GF about the Akin comments, She said "how can he actually think what he's saying is true? and how does he think people will actually agree with him?" I said "if you can have blind faith for religion then it opens the possibilities to have blind faith for anything."

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
I don't usually like Bill Maher, often he's a little too left for me but this article pretty much sums up how I feel about the majority of Republicans in this country.

My New Rule for Todd Akin and the Republican Party

My favorite quote:

I even had a similar discussion a few nights ago with my GF about the Akin comments, She said "how can he actually think what he's saying is true? and how does he think people will actually agree with him?" I said "if you can have blind faith for religion then it opens the possibilities to have blind faith for anything."
both this thread & your GF deserve a better rejoinder

you can't say the republicans are full of blindly faithful people, while also acknowledging so many in their midst recognize what an ignorant asshole akin is; even ann coulter gets that.

and are we to conveniently choose to forget obama is also in possession of "blind faith for religion"? or at least, he claims to be. so which is worse? ignorance, or deception?

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
I've come to the conclusion that Americans today believe what they want to believe. Something has more credibility in their mind if it offers proof of something that they already wanted to be true. Normally rational people buy into the birther nonsense because deep down inside they *want* to believe that he's a foreigner, that he wasn't born in this country. Akin wants nothing more than to have a nice and convenient excuse for why he doesn't believe in abortion in the cases of rape, regardless as to how implausible/unbelievable it is. So he latches on to a little-known theory (although it's been circulating among Republicans for years) that allows him to hold his position without having to tell a young rape victim that she can't have an abortion.

It's the same reason why Leftists like Keynesian economics, or Right-wingers truly believe that the Laffer curve PROVES that lowering taxes increases tax revenue. It's "scientific proof" that fits their own preconceived ideals.

Beef Supreme

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2010
Hiding from the stupid
you can't say the republicans are full of blindly faithful people, while also acknowledging so many in their midst recognize what an ignorant asshole akin is; even ann coulter gets that.
Republicans aren't throwing Akin under the bus because he is an ignorant asshole. They are throwing him under the bus because he allowed people to see behind the curtain. Ignorance is encouraged but exposing inconvenient truths will not be tolerated.

A huge portion of what the Republicans believe is based on pure horsesh!t. That lowering taxes leads to greater revenue, that abstinence only education works, that republicans will reduce spending; all of this has proven not to be true. Take supply side economics. We have done two full fledged experiments with it in this country and it has failed miserably both times. In the first case they say Regan and Bush I didn't stick it out long enough. In the second case they blame external factors such as 911. What this comes down to is a believe that a conservative idea cannot fail. Only people and events can fail conservative ideas. That is the very definition of faith.

I'm with Mattmatt on this.