Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
At least for the Republicans, Santorum's stupid rape comments never resurfaced and is forgotten.

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
These stupid men should get in a men's prison and have to share the shower with some really big d!cked bisexual rapists.

No mercy.

Maybe after two weeks they think different.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I mean... there are some dumbass liberals around, too. But am I alone in not hearing liberal political representatives out there making completely offensive and utterly ignorant remarks?

I just feel like the GOP has this special ability to make the most offensive, ridiculous and completely uneducated comments.

Are there democratic representatives that do this as well? Do I just not hear about it?

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
I mean... there are some dumbass liberals around, too. But am I alone in not hearing liberal political representatives out there making completely offensive and utterly ignorant remarks?

I just feel like the GOP has this special ability to make the most offensive, ridiculous and completely uneducated comments.

Are there democratic representatives that do this as well? Do I just not hear about it?
as a rule, dems tend to draw fire exclusively from the right for their comments, 'pubs from the party opposite as well as center. perhaps for the dems it's the soft bigotry of low expectations, or that 'pubs are viewed as too preachy and any deviation (real or perceived) from their lofty standards is pounced upon mercilessly.

while not liberal reps, by their perceived proxies palin was repeatedly called a cunt & sandra bernhard wished she got her womb shifted by a gang of black guys. this went largely ignored by liberal reps, which is perceived as tacit approval, even if to address those remarks is undignified. (it would be off-topic to offer comment as to my own approval of these remarks; i'm just noting how offensive they are)

i do find sheila jackson lee, debbie wasserman schultz, & maxine waters to be well-springs of foot-in-mouth disease, who regularly offend reason.

as far as across-the-board offensive, there have been one-time remarks by al franken, jerry brown, jesse jackson ("cut obama's nuts off"), and more than once by marion barry & howard dean

but as a rule, elected officials tend to keep that **** in check. not being able or willing to should get them out, regardless of party affiliation.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
If I said I had all my own teeth would it help?
Yep, got it. I had a box of tinfoil to mail you but I'll put it back in the pantry.

but as a rule, elected officials tend to keep that **** in check. not being able or willing to should get them out, regardless of party affiliation.
I'm not really referring to the general douche-baggery that goes on (name calling, subtle racism/sexism, etc.). Really what I'm talking about is the comments that are either across-the-board offensive, or completely off-the-wall stupid.

I mean, we have elected officials making statements like "babies born from rape are a gift from God" (which, at the very minimum, was utterly stupid phrasing) and suggesting that somehow rape can't result in conception. People drawing similarities between the slaughter of American troops and Obama giving out free birth control. Bumbling idiots like Palin whose every third sentence would be comedic gold if it weren't for the terrifying fact that she was and has tried to be in positions of power in this country. Arizona ruling that life begins not at conception, but back-dated to the beginning of ovulation.

This sh*t is balls-to-the-wall crazy. It's not typical bumbling that most reasonable people have come to expect out of government officials. It's not just positions that you might choose to disagree with if you have different views.

It's f**king NUTS. It's how-do-these-people-live-with-themselves crazy. It's stupidity on a scale that makes me wonder if they need to label their toothbrush so they know which end to stick in their mouth.

I'm just wondering if this kind of complete lunacy is reserved for the radical far right, or if I just don't hear about the complete loony-tunes on the left.

Incidentally, I recognize this has little to do with normal politics except maybe as an indicator that the GOP as a whole is drifting off into the extremes.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
as a rule, dems tend to draw fire exclusively from the right for their comments, 'pubs from the party opposite as well as center. perhaps for the dems it's the soft bigotry of low expectations, or that 'pubs are viewed as too preachy and any deviation (real or perceived) from their lofty standards is pounced upon mercilessly.

while not liberal reps, by their perceived proxies palin was repeatedly called a cunt & sandra bernhard wished she got her womb shifted by a gang of black guys. this went largely ignored by liberal reps, which is perceived as tacit approval, even if to address those remarks is undignified. (it would be off-topic to offer comment as to my own approval of these remarks; i'm just noting how offensive they are)

i do find sheila jackson lee, debbie wasserman schultz, & maxine waters to be well-springs of foot-in-mouth disease, who regularly offend reason.

as far as across-the-board offensive, there have been one-time remarks by al franken, jerry brown, jesse jackson ("cut obama's nuts off"), and more than once by marion barry & howard dean

So now a comedian is equivalent to a duly elected member of the House and his party's nomination for a Senate seat?

Also, it seems like Democratic-leaning people like Maher/etc say things because they know it's offensive (ie, "cvnt," although I'd also put Limbaugh's "prostitute" comment into this category as well). Republican officials just seem to end up getting caught on camera saying something INCREDIBLY offensive/racist/misogynistic/etc because they don't even know that it's bad. It's only after there was an utter sh!tstorm of controversy that they say "oops, I misspoke".

Personally I like the "forced to shower in prison" idea, since.... well, I mean you can't get Hep C from forcible rape, right? Same with HIV, the body has these magical secretions that kill it if you get raped (but only the bad kind of rape, of course).

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
I have to say, part of me wonders whether the Republicans are specifically *trying* to ruin their chances of getting back into power?

Akin said:
Why aren't you guys paying attention to that horrible and inflammatory bill I co-sponsored with our VP choice earlier this year, when we stated that forcible rape (including young white girls accosted by those scary black guys in a dark alley) and incest were acceptable for federal funding of abortion, but that the milder form of rape (statutory, drunk, secretly wanted it) was not? Come on, that was a terrible thing I said and NOBODY is paying any attention to it! Here, I'll say something even more idiotic and crass and then maybe you guys'll listen...
I mean, why are they trying so hard to alienate ~52% of voters?

It's either that or PTS, Political Tourettes Syndrome...

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
Republican officials just seem to end up getting caught on camera saying something INCREDIBLY offensive/racist/misogynistic/etc because they don't even know that it's bad. It's only after there was an utter sh!tstorm of controversy that they say "oops, I misspoke".
correct.
when a democrat does it, don't hold your breath. especially a black democrat about the tea party (jim clyburn, maxine waters, charlie rangel). so, of course you haven't heard about it. why would you hear about something so largely ignored?

say, have you heard of this guy joe biden? i understand he's a real kick in the pants when he's unchained around a hot mic, the only thing cooling him down is a slurpee from one of those places run by someone w/ an indian accent. compare that to barack obama, who according to biden is very articulate, bright, & clean

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
correct.
when a democrat does it, don't hold your breath. especially a black democrat about the tea party (jim clyburn, maxine waters, charlie rangel). so, of course you haven't heard about it. why would you hear about something so largely ignored?

say, have you heard of this guy joe biden? i understand he's a real kick in the pants when he's unchained around a hot mic, the only thing cooling him down is a slurpee from one of those places run by someone w/ an indian accent. compare that to barack obama, who according to biden is very articulate, bright, & clean
Kinda. Hard to explain, but... For me it's not that someone says something stupid, or in an offensive way (ie, "in chains" comment) when the underlying thought process is benign; I honestly think that lowering the regulations on banks/lenders in order to subject people to servitude-like indebtedness is a bad thing. Yes, he could have stated it differently, but overall I agree with the concept.

Akin could have used any type of words he wanted with regards to "legitimate rape" (or "honest rape", as the esteemed Ron Paul has said) and it still would have been as reprehensible because the underlying concept is reprehensible. It's the same as with Limbaugh's halfhearted apology for calling Fluke a prostitute; he could have used any number of different words for it (streetwalker, painted lady, whore, woman of the night, etc) and it wouldn't have mattered since his underlying concept that she wanted taxpayers to pay for her birth control equated us paying her to have sex was the problem.

It's why I get frustrated with politicians saying "I misspoke" or "I chose the wrong words" when it's blatantly obvious that they *didn't* misspeak, and that they chose exactly the right words (see also: Macaca).

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
Kinda. Hard to explain, but... For me it's not that someone says something stupid, or in an offensive way (ie, "in chains" comment) when the underlying thought process is benign;
obviously, i'm tired of the double standard uniquely enjoyed by black democrats wrt their racist remarks. i can't imagine a prominent white conservative would have survived the night if he had pandered in such a way (b/c as you point out below, he didn't misspeak, he was on message, knowing the demographic of the supporters in that area). to be clear, i'm not terribly outraged at biden's remarks, but the predictability to which those remarks go unnoticed by his base.

not independents, mind you; *his base*, who are thin-skinned when "careless remarks" are hurled by anyone outside the wire
Akin could have used any type of words he wanted with regards to "legitimate rape" (or "honest rape", as the esteemed Ron Paul has said) and it still would have been as reprehensible because the underlying concept is reprehensible.
shouldn't you be thankful when they say what they actually think? it's good for all of us, i believe. smoke 'em out, i say.
dante said:
It's why I get frustrated with politicians saying "I misspoke" or "I chose the wrong words" when it's blatantly obvious that they *didn't* misspeak, and that they chose exactly the right words (see also: Macaca).
george allen will always be remembered for that.
he may have been a very good, or very bad, politician, but outside of VA & redskin* circles, that doesn't even matter now.

*an unfortunately worded truth for teh lulz

Beef Supreme

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2010
Hiding from the stupid
obviously, i'm tired of the double standard uniquely enjoyed by black democrats wrt their racist remarks.
Yep, it's just one more way the darkies are sticking it to the white man. I don't know how those poor, oppressed, Christian conservatives can go on.

to be clear, i'm not terribly outraged at biden's remarks, but the predictability to which those remarks go unnoticed by his base.
To be clear, Biden says stupid things but nobody on either side believes he says hateful or ignorant things. That's why the dems aren't outraged and the rebups only pretend to be. It is actually a boon for the republicans as it allows them to pull out their fainting couches and pretend there is some kind of equivalency between the left and the right on this issue.

an unfortunately worded truth for teh lulz
Any talk about the wording in this case is a distraction. The wording is not the problem. The problem is that this idiot believes women have magic lady parts that can distinguish between rape sperm and god fearing, procreation sperm.

It demonstrates the tendency on the right where people will believe anything that supports their predetermined world view no matter how stupid it is. For further examples see: tax cuts paying for themselves, we will be greeted as liberators, Romney's secret tax plan adds up, it's really the Democrats who want to end medicare, etc. etc.

Edit: The examples are endless but this one is right on queue.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/22/tom-head-texas-obama_n_1822003.html?utm_hp_ref=politics

Last edited:

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
Yep, it's just one more way the darkies are sticking it to the white man. I don't know how those poor, oppressed, Christian conservatives can go on.
oh i think they'll be all right.

can't say the same for poo-flingers, unless there's empirical evidence that says this is a successful MO to prosperity. i'm thinking south africa & zimbabwe may provide good data sets
To be clear, Biden says stupid things but nobody on either side believes he says hateful or ignorant things.
not realizing you gaffed is the very definition of ignorant
Any talk about the wording in this case is a distraction.
the reference to redskins is due to his dad being former coach of the team
who's tom head? the article states he's a lubbock county judge, but cannot glean from that if he's right wing or not. is he influential? perhaps to a few hundred mouth breathers

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
To be clear, Biden says stupid things but nobody on either side believes he says hateful or ignorant things. That's why the dems aren't outraged and the rebups only pretend to be. It is actually a boon for the republicans as it allows them to pull out their fainting couches and pretend there is some kind of equivalency between the left and the right on this issue.
Republicans understand that about as well as humor.

Same reason they get all pissy when a black guy uses THAT word and they can't.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
"I mean, you got the first mainstream African-American who is articulate and bright and clean and a nice-looking guy," Biden said. "I mean, that's a storybook, man."
who is joe biden for $100 Alex?

"What strikes me about the anachronistic attitudes of evangelicals and their Republican puppets to abortion, contraception, family planning, female economic empowerment and feminism in general, is just how unambiguously male these attitudes are.
[...]
An entire political party in one of the most advanced and educated countries on earth has become a caricature of the most basal evolved insecurities about masculinity. They seem terrified of losing control over the means of reproduction and petrified of cuckoldry."

Rob Brooks
Professor of Evolutionary Biology at University of New South Wales (Australia)

yep...that about sums it up.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
who is joe biden for $100 Alex?
Fair.

Most of Biden's bumbling that I've heard has been just that - bumbling, and not vicious or crazy. The heavy racist undertones there are pretty offensive, though - I hadn't heard those particular quotes.

So... that's it? One guy? You and $tinkle referenced the same dude...

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
So... that's it? One guy?
ted kennedy had some cute things to say about obama...but that was probably the tumor talking.

i imagine if i googled racist things said by democrats i could come up with more...

Last edited:

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
a howard dean gem...

“You think the Republican National Committee could get this many people of color in a single room? … Only if they had the hotel staff in here.”