Quantcast

***Saturderp GMT***

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
:wave:

Out with the wife and off the wagon last night. Slept terribly, but the sezeracs were good. This may strike some as blasphemy, but my recent run of not drinking, has been pretty nice. Think I'll maintain it for a while. Now, back to work. I may need another espresso. :dead:

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
'Morning. I'm working this morning testing some system updates, which I can't complain too much about since the guy I am covering for had cancer surgery yesterday. :dead: I'll go run 10 miles when I get out of here.

This may strike some as blasphemy, but my recent run of not drinking, has been pretty nice. Think I'll maintain it for a while.
My current streak will hit seven years next week, which is something I never thought possible considering how much I loved my beer.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
not even trump has driven me to whiskey in the past year......it has been awhile.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Nerve block in the back of the head yesterday to try to help deal with the constant TBI headaches.
Kinda feelz like I haz water drippin' down - weird.

So far a tentative positive on the pain control - It does not seem to be quite as bad as normal.
We will see how it deals with the "Ramp-Ups" where the pain is up and down minute by minute.

Meh.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Got a little colder again here so the trails were mostly frozen which made for a little more bumpy ride but faster. Only did 62km so I have legs to ride tomorrow again. I am still surprised how well my GT rides offroad. I really need to take it on even more technical trails.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Was planning to be up early to ride some trails that are farther away (since family is in tiwn to watch the kids). I was up early than planned, but instead it was because my son threw up. Plans have changed and ilI be doing one of my local rides instead. Grumble.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Trail run yesterday hasn’t destroyed me, might be the new shoes. Today is telemark skiing with my lady, it’ll be her first time and my like 6th time. I expect many falling.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
Why? Serious question. Seems like combining the worst of x-country and alpine.

Though, I've never seen anyone doing tele who didn't look like they weren't a total expert at it. I've never seen an obvious, novice telemark skier.
Telemark skiing. Nothing better when you head into the backcountry with a pack, set up camp and skin to the top and ski down unmarked slopes in fresh powder with just you and your buds. I used to do it all winter in the Yosemite high country for up to a week at a time. Lift served Telemark is where you perfect your technique

Pesqueeb

Feb 2, 2007
While we're on the subject of skiing; who tunes their own?

specifically, is it worth the time/effort to reclaim wax? As in, it's possible to recover scraped off wax and reform into a new, but smaller brick. But wax is cheap enough such effort seems like more trouble than just buying new. The girls skis are in the sheet metal shop right now with a fresh coat, and I'll go scrape them here in a minute, which is why I'm thinking about it.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river

specifically, is it worth the time/effort to reclaim wax? As in, it's possible to recover scraped off wax and reform into a new, but smaller brick. But wax is cheap enough such effort seems like more trouble than just buying new. The girls skis are in the sheet metal shop right now with a fresh coat, and I'll go scrape them here in a minute, which is why I'm thinking about it.
I occasionally wax my own, but would never bother reclaiming. YMMV

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are

I tune all my skis and many of my friends skis/boards. I have edge and base tools too if you ever need 'em.
Buy your wax from Purl: https://purlwax.com/collections/purl-bulk-ski-and-snowboard-wax-1-pound-bricks
I wouldn't try to reclaim scraped wax.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
At Loveland skiing today. Demoing wide all-mountain skis and it's taking getting used to. I need to get my actual skiing ability par to ride with Haley, so two planks. Snowing this morning with about 6" Basin, 2" Valley. Really should be a board day...

Haley is in the intermediate class today. She was quite upset that she couldn't ski with me and Nick. And I have to add Nick here. She specifically said multiple times that she didn't want to go to class, but ski with me and Nick. I believe I've been relegated when skiing.

Fancy new table was built last night and the former dining set is now the kitchenette; IKEA table to the in law suite. We did discover that the light in the dining room is offset and the kitchenette light is now too low, so I get some electricity to play with. Giddy.

Ok. Lunch is done. Time to go get more sore.

Pesqueeb

Feb 2, 2007
I tune all my skis and many of my friends skis/boards. I have edge and base tools too if you ever need 'em.
Buy your wax from Purl: https://purlwax.com/collections/purl-bulk-ski-and-snowboard-wax-1-pound-bricks
I wouldn't try to reclaim scraped wax.
Thanks. I've bought most everything, though I may add a couple more brushes of varying stiffness yet if I want to get monocle fancy with my wax. I'd actually like to do more skis/boards. I find the whole wax on/wax off, edging, scraping, etc process pretty therapeutic. Maybe in my next life I'll be a tech in a ski shop. I used to resurface/repair damaged surfboards. I loved doing that too.

Are 1lb bricks only available online? I looked over my weekend and couldn't find that size anywhere in town. Prefer Purl for any particular reason?

I used to own a shop, and I used to try and reclaim wax...it just ends up contaminated. Not worth it.
Kind of what I suspected. I snagged a long, clean sheet of paper out of the paint shop and scrapped my daughters skis on top of that. Even with the ease of doing it that way, seemed like a lot of hassle.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Up to chunky steep intermediate. Getting used to this skiing thing, but it's ugly.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Brother is visiting, went snowshoeing...there wasn't enough snow so they just got carried to the top of the mountain...

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
aced my interview yesterday and have a verbal "offer" of 2.5% less than I make now...but it's 30 minutes closer to home which will give me an hour of my life back, and a commute that can occur any time I want it to, so that I don't have to go into the city. Plus I get to ditch my shitty manager, and a workplace that is highly competitive rather than collaborative. Is that really a decision?