Quantcast

X3pilot

Texans fan - LOL
Aug 13, 2007
SoMD
My kid comes home with a letter from his school yesterday stating that they would like to ban anyone, staff or student from bringing a dangerous item to school. Guns, knives, drugs? Nope, peanut butter sammiches. That;s right, the most classic of all school lunches. Their reasoning is to "be sensitive to those students who have nut based and other food allergies"

:wtf: ??? Why should my kid and others be prevented from enjoying a food they like due others allergies? What happened to educating the kids with the allergies on what to avoid? And I wonder just how many of these kids with food 'allergies' have true reactive allergies or just say that becuase they don't like a certain food.

Or maybe it's because most kids are sissy assed lardbutts that never get outside to be exposed to anything to build up natural reactions.

Fvckin' sissies.:rant:

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
They did that at the sunday school at my temple, the kids allergies to peanuts was so bad that if he even smelled/got near peanuts he would have some problems

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
yep it's totally bogus, although I have heard of severe reactions from nut allergies in the school setting! I think it is by far the exception rather than the norm. Most kids with those allergies know where to be when nuts are hangin around!

heck Bek had to pass out papers about "snack time" snacks that could pose problems such as Penut M&M's :disgust1:

BillT

Monkey
My oldest daughter has a peanut allergy - it is not 'oh my god, I'm going to die instantly' bad, but it is bad enough that we have to carry an epi-pen around just in case and if she ever has any peanuts/peanut products, we'll end up spending several hours in the emergency room watching her get injected with adrenaline and steroids and other stuff. We've taught her not to eat peanuts and don't keep any peanut products in the house, but certainly do not expect others to do the same. At the pre-K that she attends, they have asked the parents not to pack any peanut products for their own liability, not because we asked.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Is this like a new thing? I never heard of kids with such sever allergies when I was in school.

X3pilot

Texans fan - LOL
Aug 13, 2007
SoMD
Is this like a new thing? I never heard of kids with such sever allergies when I was in school.
My personal theory is based on the fact that too many kids are kept inside all the time these days, either because of fear of them being snatched off the street (very real, not minimizing it) or becuase their little lazy asses are in front of a video console.

When I was a kid, waaaay back when, we were outside all the time, we ran through grass fields, got sneezy from it and our bodies learned how to combat that. We ate whatever was put on a plate and if we did have some 'mild' reaction to something, we probably didn't know it, it got treated as something else with a home remedy and that was it. We were allowed to get dirty and grimy and our bodies built up immunity.

That, and breast feeding isn;t as popular as it once was due to working Moms. Our son was breast fed and only had 1 ear infection and has no allergies. If Lord Opie were still here, he'd probably back that up!:biggrin:

splat

Nam I am
That, and breast feeding isn;t as popular as it once was due to working Moms. Our son was breast fed and only had 1 ear infection and has no allergies. If Lord Opie were still here, he'd probably back that up!:biggrin:
well My daughter was not breast fed and had maybe 1 or 2 ear infections , My son was breast fed and had 5 ear infection in the 1st 9 Months till he had ear tubes put in. so there goes that theory.

Edit: and he has a couple of allergies ( not to peanuts ) and she has none

Last edited:

Prettym1k3

Turbo Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
In your pants
The problem that exists is that schools know the legal ramifications they will suffer if they DO NOT ban these things. Especially in states like California, the minority (the few people allergic to nuts, etc.) will always prevail over the majority. Look at the Hispanic population in the U.D. They win. (And yes, I'm Hispanic, and yes I find this repulsive).

But the schools are afraid now. Just like when I was in junior high and they stopped allowing "Christmas plays", but called them "Winter plays" instead. Because they didn't want to offend anyone or hurt anyone.

I say we all just avoid peanut butter, wear uniforms, all become bi-sexual, and dye our skin red and our hair black. Then no-one will be offended anymore. *rolls eyes*

X3pilot

Texans fan - LOL
Aug 13, 2007
SoMD
well My daughter was not breast fed and had maybe 1 or 2 ear infections , My son was breast fed and had 5 ear infection in the 1st 9 Months till he had ear tubes put in. so there goes that theory.

Edit: and he has a couple of allergies ( not to peanuts ) and she has none
But doesn't breast feeding just look like more fun??

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I'm allergic to idiots, yet I'm subjected to being around them every day. No one has tried banning idiots for those of us with allergies to it :(

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
My personal theory is based on the fact that too many kids are kept inside all the time these days, either because of fear of them being snatched off the street (very real, not minimizing it) or becuase their little lazy asses are in front of a video console.
my niece was diagnosed w/ severe nut and dairy allergies before she was one.

i have no idea how she played xbox and nintendo so well at 5 months old.

X3pilot

Texans fan - LOL
Aug 13, 2007
SoMD
my niece was diagnosed w/ severe nut and dairy allergies before she was one.

i have no idea how she played xbox and nintendo so well at 5 months old.
Point taken. :o:

I should have said that a couple of possible theories...

I realize some are simply born with allergies.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
I could maybe understand it in a daycare or pre-school where the child is too young to understand not to take a bite out of a PB sandwich.
But once you are in grade school, that is a RIDICULOUS rule.
I know children who are allergic to peanuts, and they do this really intelligent thing called, NOT EATING PEANUT BUTTER. It works out swell.
Sure, life serves you up some real turds sometimes, but teaching a kid to deal with this stuff is part of growing up.
It be like getting a letter from your school:
"Jimmy only has one leg, Timmy is blind, and Billy is allergic to peanut butter.
So, when you bring your child to school tomorrow, blindfold him and tell him to hop on one leg all day, and no PB sammaches. We have to be sensitive.
Its lame.
That reminds me of one of my college professors who was touring a factory in Germany. There was this large metal bin with a five foot blade in it
chopping up stuff. My professor asked the German why there was not a sign on it that said not to put your hand in it, and the German said, "Why in the hell would anybody do that?"
In America, its a lawsuit.

Last edited:

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
:wtf: ??? Why should my kid and others be prevented from enjoying a food they like due others allergies?
Because your kid's school doesn't want to get sued when some little **** trades your kid a candy bar for you kids pb and j and then dies from it. Unfortunate but true.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
I could maybe understand it in a daycare or pre-school where the child is too young to understand not to take a bite out of a PB sandwich.
But once you are in grade school, that is a RIDICULOUS rule.
I know children who are allergic to peanuts, and they do this really intelligent thing called, NOT EATING PEANUT BUTTER. It works out swell.
Sure, life serves you up some real turds sometimes, but teaching a kid to deal with this stuff is part of growing up.
It be like getting a letter from your school:
"Jimmy only has one leg, Timmy is blind, and Billy is allergic to peanut butter.
So, when you bring your child to school tomorrow, blindfold him and tell him to hop on one leg all day, and no PB sammaches. We have to be sensitive.
Its lame.
That reminds me of one of my college professors who was touring a factory in Germany. There was this large metal bin with a five foot blade in it
chopping up stuff. My professor asked the German why there was not a sign on it that said not to put your hand in it, and the German said, "Why in the hell would anybody do that?"
In America, its a lawsuit.

My wife is a teacher and she has 3rd graders who don't know what a "Bridge" is so I wouldn't say elementary school kids are much smarter than 5month olds.

BillT

Monkey
That's pretty funny...we discovered my daughters peanut allergy when she was 18 months old. She was at the mall with my wife, my wife's friend and her two kids. They stopped at the cookie store and got a cookie for each and 1 was a peanut butter cookie. The kids all shared their cookies and afterwards my daughter broke out in hives, then her lips swelled, and then, according to the doctor, her throat was starting to swell. I guess these were just 'mild' reactions from her being lazy and we should have just made her tough it out.

cadmus

Monkey
May 24, 2006
PNW
I share an office w/ a guy that is allergic to peanuts. I'm always offering him a snickers or peanut butter M&M's so I can go "Pulp Fiction" on him w/ an epi-pen. He hasn't fallen for it yet.

My wife's school doesn't serve anything w/ peanut products, but hasn't gone so far as to ban peanut products. They know who the kids with allergies are and are trained on how to respond should someone have a reaction.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
during my freshman year in college, a girl died from eating chili. turns out they thickened the chili w/ some peanut butter and it that wasn't specified.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
I recently had to help out with some school orientation business and there was a ton of free food all week. There was a second "nut free" food tent (lunch served under tents), changes to the food selections and a lot of hassle for the organizers to make sure the one person who has a nut allergy wouldn't have a problem.

This is graduate school, by the way.