Quantcast

X3pilot

Texans fan - LOL
Aug 13, 2007
SoMD
That's pretty funny...we discovered my daughters peanut allergy when she was 18 months old. She was at the mall with my wife, my wife's friend and her two kids. They stopped at the cookie store and got a cookie for each and 1 was a peanut butter cookie. The kids all shared their cookies and afterwards my daughter broke out in hives, then her lips swelled, and then, according to the doctor, her throat was starting to swell. I guess these were just 'mild' reactions from her being lazy and we should have just made her tough it out.
Read back a few post, Einstein.

Point taken. :o:

I should have said that a couple of possible theories...

I realize some are simply born with allergies.
Of course I'm not writing about your individual daughter and I'm sure it's a scary thing to deal with. However, who is responsible for her not having a reaction? You, through education and supervision or the rest of us through just banning everything?

Last edited:

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
Uh....kids with severe peanut allergies can die from exposure to them. How has no-one heard this before?

You've never seen the emblem on boxes of granola bars or whatever, "Certified peanut free"? It's not like they get an itchy spot....they die. And they don't have to ingest them either. Just smelling it can be enough to make them sick.

X3pilot

Texans fan - LOL
Aug 13, 2007
SoMD
Uh....kids with severe peanut allergies can die from exposure to them. How has no-one heard this before?

You've never seen the emblem on boxes of granola bars or whatever, "Certified peanut free"? It's not like they get an itchy spot....they die. And they don't have to ingest them either. Just smelling it can be enough to make them sick.
Yes,yes,yes. The point of the thread however was how they have gone to the point of banning EVERYONE else from bringing peanuts, peanut butter, etc. My point is that the burden of responsibility is on the parents of the children with allergies to educate them on what to avoid and to expect the school staff to help oversee that. Next we'll ban bread becuae of wheat or gluten allergies, cheese and milk because of lactose intolerance, natural fiber clothes due to animal or plant allergies, blah blah blah.

I don't want to see anyone suffer or die from an allergy, I just want the appropriate parties to be responsible for preventing it without a kill gnats with dynamite mindset..

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
My wife is a teacher and she has 3rd graders who don't know what a "Bridge" is so I wouldn't say elementary school kids are much smarter than 5month olds.
and in my (K) daughter's class, there's a kid who doesn't know shapes & colors. he'll be running for city council in 15 yrs
and some kids get lead poisoning in gun-free zones, too

q.e.d.

ed: i'm allergic to spoiled beef

bitingback

Turbo Monkey
I'm allergic to idiots, yet I'm subjected to being around them every day. No one has tried banning idiots for those of us with allergies to it :(
and yet YOU subject yourself to this place daily. who's the idiot? :biggrin:

Next we'll ban bread becuae of wheat or gluten allergies, cheese and milk because of lactose intolerance, natural fiber clothes due to animal or plant allergies, blah blah blah...
at that rate we'll all be skinny and runnin around naked. i guess it could be worse.

I have had schools that didn't allow peanut products. I was ok with that only because I have also heard that it's not just the ingesting of it but if they touch it or smell it they can still get that severe reaction. However I DO think the schools should be a little more responsible for making sure their students are safe.

with that said...what REALLY gets me about schools and lunches is why I’m not allowed to send my son in with a "100 Calorie Pack" chocolate chip snack bag to have in class...but both my daughter and son in their very different grades...can both buy unhealthy foods like chips and ice cream every day without my approval. and WHY can't they just as easily add some veggie hot dogs/hamburgers/chic patties...when they are having the same equivalent food choice that day? and finally...my daughter came home from school the other day and said she is not allowed to BRING IN any unclear liquids (i.e. she had some ice tea)...but she can BUY sodas and juice and other equally unnutritious drink.

ok rant over...either that or i'm starting a new thread titled "school supplies"