Quantcast

screw it, I'll start one!

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
I think hunting is fun, cool and necessary for the environment. I like bloody meat of cute, furry, cuddly woodland animals, and no one should be able to say a damned thing about it.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Most of the time, I'd agree with you.

Unless you're shooting something endangered, like a panda. Or you're shooting something to stuff and put on your wall while the carcass rots in the woods. Yah, you shot a deer. Your penis must be bigger!

A farmer protecting his her from a cougar? I'll buy that one too. Shooting stuff for the sake of just shooting something strikes me as wasteful though. It's like almost anything else, if you can do it and not be an asshole, go ahead.

It's the guys who pay huge amounts of money to put a bighorn head on their wall who make most hunters look bad.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Originally posted by Silver
Most of the time, I'd agree with you.

Unless you're shooting something endangered, like a panda. Or you're shooting something to stuff and put on your wall while the carcass rots in the woods. Yah, you shot a deer. Your penis must be bigger!

A farmer protecting his her from a cougar? I'll buy that one too. Shooting stuff for the sake of just shooting something strikes me as wasteful though. It's like almost anything else, if you can do it and not be an asshole, go ahead.

It's the guys who pay huge amounts of money to put a bighorn head on their wall who make most hunters look bad.
Right on.

i hunt for food and fun. i see no point in hunting animals you're not going to eat, unless they're pests or an endangerment (is that a word?) to livestock.

rbx

Monkey
i like hunting but the not the big stuff like deer or moose but mostly wild birds(sorry dont know the english names for them)

BUT i dont agree with the following

hunting out of season(spring time etc..)
hunting for placing stuffed animals above the fireplace
hunting indangered animals

slein

Monkey
Jul 21, 2002
CANADA
it'd be better if the animals had guns too. then hunting would be a fair fight. something doesn't seem right about shooting a deer from a distance. all else being equal, hunting is good so long as it is sustainable - no extinction. heck, cows, chicken, pigs, rabbits and other lifeforms are killed everyday to feed us people.

i'd like to try using a cross bow to hunt. even if a rifle is used, its so manly to bring home some hind. just make sure that you have the right target.

ummbikes

Don't mess with the Santas
Apr 16, 2002
Napavine, Warshington
Originally posted by slein
it'd be better if the animals had guns too. then hunting would be a fair fight. something doesn't seem right about shooting a deer from a distance.
From what distance would have deer shot from? 1cm or 100m it still is going to kill the critter! :D

Originally posted by slein

all else being equal, hunting is good so long as it is sustainable - no extinction. heck, cows, chicken, pigs, rabbits and other lifeforms are killed everyday to feed us people.

i'd like to try using a cross bow to hunt. even if a rifle is used, its so manly to bring home some hind. just make sure that you have the right target.
You should try a compound bow. Good times, mi amigo, good times.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
actually, due to inhumane treatment of animals, i'm eating less meat. i haven't eaten veal in 15 yrs or so. I'd sooner go kill a free range animal myself than eat veal. I used to think hunting was wrong, but now i realize it's more ethical than eating mass raised meat.

Trophy hunting tho, strictly for the trophy and not using the meat, that's incredibly wrong and selfish. Eat what you kill... unless you accidentally kill a pedestrian with your bike, then maybe not.

ummbikes

Apr 16, 2002
Napavine, Warshington
Originally posted by LordOpie
actually, due to inhumane treatment of animals, i'm eating less meat. i haven't eaten veal in 15 yrs or so. I'd sooner go kill a free range animal myself than eat veal. I used to think hunting was wrong, but now i realize it's more ethical than eating mass raised meat.

Trophy hunting tho, strictly for the trophy and not using the meat, that's incredibly wrong and selfish. Eat what you kill... unless you accidentally kill a pedestrian with your bike, then maybe not.
I am coming from a different starting point but oddly ending up up where you are. I have always been a pro-hunting kind of guy but now am seeing the health and ethical benefits to eating "free range" meat.

I read Fast Food Nation and saw a documentary on meat packing houses and suddenly lost my appetite for a lot of beef. I have found a rancher who doesn't give his cattle any commercially prepared feed and is local. I have never understood why I had to buy beef grown in Nebraska when there are thousands of cows within a few miles of my home.

My favorite meat is antelope, my father in law shoots a few trophy animals a year, and the antelope is the best. They eat a lot a sage brush and literally come pre-seasoned.

The trophy hunters I know with out exception eat their kills. Except for maybe bear. I do reacall though that my father in laws guide of choice for bear in Alaska makes more money from selling the inards of the bear than he does from his fees for the guided hunts. (In Alaska you must have a guide if you live out of state.)

The benefit of trophy hunts is the economic boost the Fish and Wildlife agencys, concervation groups and local bussiness gleen from the hunters tag fees and supplies. In Africa in many reserves the funds to protect the vast majority of the animals comes from hunts. In Arizona, the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation auctions off a permit to hunt in a zone that holds the largest Elk in the world. This permit has been "sold" for upwards of a million dollars and is a crucial fundraiser for the foundations efforts to preserve wilderness and elk herds. The issue is much more than a good/bad or black/white problem. Instictivly trophy hunting seems wrong but like all issues shows much more latitude for acceptability if analyzed and not simply judged without evidence.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Originally posted by ummbikes

The trophy hunters I know with out exception eat their kills. Except for maybe bear. I do reacall though that my father in laws guide of choice for bear in Alaska makes more money from selling the inards of the bear than he does from his fees for the guided hunts.

That cuz bear tastes like rancid pork...

:dead: :dead: :dead:

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
personally i prefer to cut an animals throat and drink it s blood

just me ;)

seriously, if you kill it.. EAT IT.... it isn t that hard to comprehend right ?$@%!

parts

your friendly neighbourhood meat murderer

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
personally i prefer to cut an animals throat and drink it s blood

just me ;)

seriously, if you kill it.. EAT IT.... it isn t that hard to comprehend right ?$@%!

parts

your friendly neighbourhood meat murderer.. f@#king kidney beans !

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
The benefit of trophy hunts is the economic boost the Fish and Wildlife agencys, concervation groups and local bussiness gleen from the hunters tag fees and supplies. In Africa in many reserves the funds to protect the vast majority of the animals comes from hunts. In Arizona, the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation auctions off a permit to hunt in a zone that holds the largest Elk in the world. This permit has been "sold" for upwards of a million dollars and is a crucial fundraiser for the foundations efforts to preserve wilderness and elk herds. The issue is much more than a good/bad or black/white problem. Instictivly trophy hunting seems wrong but like all issues shows much more latitude for acceptability if analyzed and not simply judged without evidence.
sorry, don't buy the logic that pointless killing is somehow outweighed by the economic or environmental benefits.

Want a bear or lion head on your wall... prove just how much of a man you really are. Eat it. *breaks into Weird Al impersonation* Just eat it!

ummbikes

Apr 16, 2002
Napavine, Warshington
sorry, don't buy the logic that pointless killing is somehow outweighed by the economic or environmental benefits.

What logic do have have to offer as a rebuttal?

You don't buy it?

Why?

What is the reason or thoughts that lead you to reject my sound thoughts?;)

brock

Monkey
Sep 6, 2001
Tacoma, WA
I don't kill animals nor do I eat them.

I wish "Fast Food Nation" or "Diet for a New America" was required reading in schools.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Originally posted by brock
I don't kill animals nor do I eat them.

I wish "Fast Food Nation" or "Diet for a New America" was required reading in schools.
I kill animals and i eat them. I think its fun too.:)

If id read that as a kid, id probably eat twice as much meat just to spite vegetarians.

brock

Monkey
Sep 6, 2001
Tacoma, WA
Originally posted by BurlySurly
I kill animals and i eat them. I think its fun too.:)

If id read that as a kid, id probably eat twice as much meat just to spite vegetarians.
I'm not surprised in the least.

I believe that you and I are polar opposites.

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
Originally posted by brock
I'm not surprised in the least.

I believe that you and I are polar opposites.
I don't think anyone is surprised Brock. BS's normal reaction to anything that might challenge his beliefs is to bury his head even deeper in the sand. As for getting him to read the books, well fat chance, he's only got two books at home and one of them hasn't even been coloured in yet.:rolleyes: :D

Jr_Bullit

I'm sooo teenie weenie!!!
Sep 8, 2001
North of Oz
Don't mind the meat (though I tend to not eat any of it), don't mind the idea of hunting for food, what I hate with a huge passion is when someone goes out to DNR land, or some other forested area and just shoots to kill and walks away.

:angry:

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
What logic do have have to offer as a rebuttal?

You don't buy it?

Why?

What is the reason or thoughts that lead you to reject my sound thoughts?;)
you're saying it's ok to kill one or few for the good of the whole?

So if RM community decided it'd be best for everyone to stone you to death to free up bandwidth, you'd be good with that? Excellent :devil:

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan

So if RM community decided it'd be best for everyone to stone you to death to free up bandwidth, you'd be good with that? Excellent :devil:
In a lot of places, particularly in Africa there just isn't the money to properly protect the animals. Huge fees for some fat bastard to shoot an elephant helps pay for the anti-poaching patrols. No anti-poaching patrols equals no elephants.
For the life of me though I can't see why anyone would want to kill something like an elephant just for fun. I mean you'd have to be very f:cken hungry to eat an elephant, other than that there's no reason:D ;) . Still I can see the logic behind allowing it, sacrifice a few if it means the majority are safer.
And if we are talkin' about culling RM members I can think of a few I'd like to nominate ahead of Ummbikes:D

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Originally posted by valve bouncer
In a lot of places, particularly in Africa there just isn't the money to properly protect the animals. Huge fees for some fat bastard to shoot an elephant helps pay for the anti-poaching patrols. No anti-poaching patrols equals no elephants.
I don't fault the system or the gov't. I suspect they're doing their best. I do fault hunters, specifically poachers, for the situation. I think the patrols should just shoot to kill poachers out there. That'll make poachers think twice :devil:

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
I don't fault the system or the gov't. I suspect they're doing their best. I do fault hunters, specifically poachers, for the situation. I think the patrols should just shoot to kill poachers out there. That'll make poachers think twice :devil:
That's what they do Opie, this is Africa mate, they don't send the poachers to counselling. But when rhino horn is US$ 10,000 a kilogram that's a lot of incentive for dirt poor people. It also breeds corruption, endemic at the best of times in Africa. It's not an easy problem LO, but the best approach seems to be convincing the local people that the animals are an asset. Unfortunately that means making money off them and one way to do that is to let fat, middle aged white guys shoot them for sh*ts and giggles. Tough sad world mate, what can I say.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
I don't think anyone is surprised Brock. BS's normal reaction to anything that might challenge his beliefs is to bury his head even deeper in the sand. As for getting him to read the books, well fat chance, he's only got two books at home and one of them hasn't even been coloured in yet.:rolleyes: :D
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: Why, just because i dont agree with something, does that mean im burying my head in the sand? Vegetables are just gross and they dont even bleed when you shoot them.

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
I think hunting is fun, cool and necessary for the environment. I like bloody meat of cute, furry, cuddly woodland animals, and no one should be able to say a damned thing about it.
Ok... If that's what you want.

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: Why, just because i dont agree with something, does that mean im burying my head in the sand? Vegetables are just gross and they dont even bleed when you shoot them.
No you have your head stuck in the sand because even when you patently don't know what you're talking about you refuse to learn more. God forbid that the books in question might make you think. You don't have to be a vegetarian to appreciate the information as ummbikes pointed out. This is not a plot to stop little old you from enjoying your porterhouse boy it's about improving the way the meat gets to your table. I mean it may even have some health benefits for you.
P.S- I like your subtle use of the smilies, very under-stated.

Velocity Girl

whack-a-mole
Sep 12, 2001
Atlanta
For the life of me though I can't see why anyone would want to kill something like an elephant just for fun. I mean you'd have to be very f:cken hungry to eat an elephant, other than that there's no reason:D ;) . Still I can see the logic behind allowing it, sacrifice a few if it means the majority are safer.
And if we are talkin' about culling RM members I can think of a few I'd like to nominate ahead of Ummbikes:D
And some of those animals carry quite the price tag on their heads. I had a buddy of mine in college who went on shooting safaris to Africa in the summer...let me tell you, it's weird walking into a place and seeing a wildebeast head over the fireplace, a zebra head on the wall, a tiger pelt over the banister...and various other throphies scattered about!

I can't understand the attaraction myself, but I would imagine part of it is the adrenaline rush. My buddy explained to me the technique they use to get a clean shot on an animal so it's suitable for mounting... hide behind a screen and have the animal charge you so you can get a clean shot in the chest...and PRAY that if you miss you back up shots will get the animal before it gets you!! I don't understand it, but I would imagine that your adrenaline would be pumping beyond belief if you had a full grown male leopard charging you :eek:

I can see the economic reasons behind why they allow the animals to be hunted, but don't really like trophy hunting. If you kill it and eat it, then I have no problems with hunting...and it actually helps control the animal population in many areas.

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
Originally posted by Velocity Girl

I can't understand the attaraction myself, but I would imagine part of it is the adrenaline rush. I don't understand it, but I would imagine that your adrenaline would be pumping beyond belief if you had a full grown male leopard charging you :eek:

I can see the economic reasons behind why they allow the animals to be hunted, but don't really like trophy hunting. If you kill it and eat it, then I have no problems with hunting...and it actually helps control the animal population in many areas.
I don't really get it either VG. For me, just being around those animals was a big enough adrenaline rush. Still even though I don't morally agree with trophy hunting in the end it is probably to some degree a necessary evil. Sad that it has to come to that though.:(

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
No you have your head stuck in the sand because even when you patently don't know what you're talking about you refuse to learn more. God forbid that the books in question might make you think. You don't have to be a vegetarian to appreciate the information as ummbikes pointed out. This is not a plot to stop little old you from enjoying your porterhouse boy it's about improving the way the meat gets to your table. I mean it may even have some health benefits for you.
P.S- I like your subtle use of the smilies, very under-stated.
I go to the store. I buy the meat. What happens before that is inconsequential. I read quite alot actually, just not on this subject, although i did read "The Jungle" in 8th grade, and that just made me hungry.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Vegetables are just gross and they dont even bleed when you shoot them.
V.B. is a vegetable. I bet he'd bleed if you shot him.

Huh? Wait, oh, ok, my bad. VB's not a vegetable, he's a fruit. Carry on.

;)
:D

ummbikes

Apr 16, 2002
Napavine, Warshington
Slightly accurate, what I'm saying is, hunting is a great financial resource to the government. Wildlife and wilderness management are costly operations. The tax structure that funds wilderness and wildlife conservation rely heavily on the fees payed by hunters. The fact that some animals are killed by hunters as opposed to starvation or predation in order that the specis as a whole is managed better is an acceptable loss.

Actually based on my example I wouldn't be offered for stoning but I would be expected to pay for a permit to post in the Political Debate forum. A portion of the funds I would pay for this service when then go to maintain the Political Debate forum and the rest would be spent to maintain Ridemonkey.com as a whole.
I am not the resource in this case I am the user of the resource.

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
V.B. is a vegetable. I bet he'd bleed if you shot him.

Huh? Wait, oh, ok, my bad. VB's not a vegetable, he's a fruit. Carry on.

;)
:D
Actually I'm a yeast extract. I'd probably bleed Asahi Super Dry if ya shot me.
BTW Opie, haven't you got some candy to steal from a baby somewhere:rolleyes: ;)

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Actually based on my example I wouldn't be offered for stoning but I would be expected to pay for a permit to post in the Political Debate forum. A portion of the funds I would pay for this service when then go to maintain the Political Debate forum and the rest would be spent to maintain Ridemonkey.com as a whole.
I am not the resource in this case I am the user of the resource.
actually, in your example, other RM members would pay to stone you :D Those proceeds would then go to maintaining RM.