Quantcast

Setup Tips for pedaling DH bike uphill :/

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
We just got a new legal DH trail that is a pretty long push up, but also a manageable grind up on a DH bike.
The trail is fun on a trail bike, but like any good trail, more fun on a big bike.
So, I want to relatively cheaply mod my DH bike to be more manageable for 1300ft gravel road climbs, with no compromise for the downhill. So things like light casings, and dropper posts ($) are out.
Here's what I have so far:
  • 11-36 cassette with a 30t front sprocket (hopefully I can squeak by with my short cage x9)
  • Seat nose pointed down to an embarrassing degree
  • Slightly longer post
  • I made an experimental little spacer that blocks out a couple coils on the rear shock and keeps it riding higher while pedaling. Not sure how long it's gonna last, but I'll play around with it since I can just throw it in my pocket at the top:
image.jpeg

Any other tips or ideas from the freeride days?

csermonet

Monkey
Mar 5, 2010
I'd say you've probably done all you can given your requirements(no pansy tires etc). Only other thing would be to wind some compression on to make it a little more efficient on the climb

4130biker

May 24, 2007
I think the the shock spacer will fall out or get crushed and break.

But for real though, get a tie down strap or a burly bungee cord and strap your fork down (totally serious).

The bungee is better.
Yeah, I think you're right on the spacer- but I'm pretty impressed by the driveway test, so I'll probably try this and see how long it takes to fail, then try to improve on the next version. I swear someone talked about clip-in coil delete spacers (for race cars?) here on RM a while back, but I haven't had luck finding anything about the topic recently.

I'm kind of scared to use a bungee and have it whip me I the face. Why do you prefer the bungee over the tie-down?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
My setup on my Cheeta and Iron was was "F-ing stand and pedal".

On the 32 chainring 11-32 cassette Highline (not really a DH bike though), it was "extend the seat post and F-ing pedal".

csermonet

Monkey
Mar 5, 2010
Bungee still feels kind of like a fork. And won't go slack like a strap will if you actually compress the fork more.
basically an easy way to temporarily increase spring rate. kinda. sorta. maybe. idk but it sounded good

4130biker

May 24, 2007
My setup on my Cheeta and Iron was was "F-ing stand and pedal".

On the 32 chainring 11-32 cassette Highline (not really a DH bike though), it was "extend the seat post and F-ing pedal".
whats a fing pedal? Sounds expensive

TrumbullHucker

trumbullruxer
Aug 29, 2005
shimzbury, ct
bring a mate.. pay him in beer and shuttle! :p

i know the feeling.. our local dh line that we built ( 45 second run ) is all pushing bike uphill.. too steep to try to pedal.
feel the burn!

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
No need to fit a dropper post but a QR and a long enough seatpost to reach full XC pedalling height is. all you need.
suspension lock out etc. makes fuck all difference if you're sat spinning properly with proper leg extension at a decent cadence.
If you're rich. a CO2 cartridge to inflate your tyres to 60psi at the bottom of each run will make more difference than any stupid suspension mods.

Trust me on the tyre* thing. I often used to have to ride 20 road miles a day at races on my Sunday at my local DH track because of stupid UK uplift legislation.

*Also I can spell them properly ;)

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
QR seatpost.
xc tubes for local "pedal ups"...doesn't matter that tubeless is so good now.
I used to swap out my 36t for a 34t and that was enough with a 32t cassette.
Never messed with locking out suspension.

I also thought standing and pedaling a DH uphill was comfortable for some reason.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
QR seatpost.
xc tubes for local "pedal ups"...doesn't matter that tubeless is so good now.
I used to swap out my 36t for a 34t and that was enough with a 32t cassette.
Never messed with locking out suspension.

I also thought standing and pedaling a DH uphill was comfortable for some reason.
Don't trust this guy!!! Have you seen his user name??? :weee:

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Wide range cassette, longer cranks, long seatpost, I think Cane Creek is making a climb-switch version of the coil shock, which would exactly suit that need. Taller bars maybe.

Removing active coils does increase rate. Clever idea.

I always thought an internally routed dropper would be a nice addition to the DH bike for some areas.

ritche

Monkey
Dec 3, 2011
*Buy a rope and tie it around your stem and handlebar and get towed by a motorcycle/ dirt bike rider friend who shuttles.

We do that on our local dh race track, 4 -5 runs in a day (3 in the morning and 2 after lunch break).
You can pedal if you want to, while being towed up hill.

Last edited:

MrBaker87

Monkey
Mar 30, 2014
neverlandranch
Predator is prettu darn fun and easy enough on a trail bike. RayB and i were crushing it not too long ago.

That being said, i have climbed my dh bike quite a bit (ih sunday). My tips are a qr seatpost collar and a titec trlescoping seatpost as well as an 11-36 cassette. I still run a 36 front though cause i am running a dh bike and like to go fast down.

If you have compression settings on your fork, you could always ramp up your lsc for the climb.

4130biker

May 24, 2007
Predator is prettu darn fun and easy enough on a trail bike. RayB and i were crushing it not too long ago.

That being said, i have climbed my dh bike quite a bit (ih sunday). My tips are a qr seatpost collar and a titec trlescoping seatpost as well as an 11-36 cassette. I still run a 36 front though cause i am running a dh bike and like to go fast down.

If you have compression settings on your fork, you could always ramp up your lsc for the climb.
Yeah, I've ridden it plenty on a trail bike and have spent lots of time pedaling a big bike in the past, as well.

I also know that most of the winter trails here worthy of a DH bike hardly require pedaling, so I'll gladly take an easier gear for going up. Come summer time when east-side and resort trails open, and the 36t will be back!

I'd love one of those titec posts, but I can't find one in 30.9 in the 400mm length I'd need. Any leads?

4130biker

May 24, 2007
Wide range cassette, longer cranks, long seatpost, I think Cane Creek is making a climb-switch version of the coil shock, which would exactly suit that need. Taller bars maybe.

Removing active coils does increase rate. Clever idea.

I always thought an internally routed dropper would be a nice addition to the DH bike for some areas.
Thanks!
The CC shock and dropper would be sweet, I just don't have the $$ to drop on it for this project. Good point about longer cranks, unfortunately my bike is in the "dangerous/trendwhore/you hate your toes" category, so I'm a bit scared:
image.jpeg

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Thanks!
The CC shock and dropper would be sweet, I just don't have the $$ to drop on it for this project. Good point about longer cranks, unfortunately my bike is in the "dangerous/trendwhore/you hate your toes" category, so I'm a bit scared:
View attachment 121143
So a google search for "ellsworth ID bb height" brought up the following pictures:

This one is cherry:

But for some reason it also brought up a picture of my very own old 6pack...sonofa***** (also back when I had it built in weight-weenie mode):

MrBaker87

Monkey
Mar 30, 2014
neverlandranch
Just get a cheaper dropper post with the lever on the rails. I only run the titec because the sunday has a 30.0 seatpost.

Let's ride together sometime. I am down to push/pedal my bike up with you in solidarity. Ill pm you my number.

RayB

Monkey
Jan 31, 2008
Seattle
If it's the same trail that I'm thinking of, you should be good to go w/ the setup you already have. There's really only a couple parts of the climb that suck, but I reckon if you worked out your legs a little bit, you could just brute-force mash up fairly easily. Really just depends on your tolerance for pain & suffering...

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Call me crazy but this scenario really sounds like the type of riding where an agro 160mm bike is perfect. You probably don't want to buy a new bike but if your local riding is this...

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
If you're talking about Predator, it doesn't require much in the way of pedaling, especially not at top speeds. A small front sprocket would be great for that application.

A 160mm bike was fun as hell on it, but a DH bike would be more fun in a lot of sections.

Dec 9, 2015
Is it possible to run a dual ring and put a 22t with the 36t for going down? That is what i ran, but i made my own chainguide to enable me to manually swith gears when i got to the top. It was sweet. Ran that on a TR450, and then i made one for my Peregrine DH.
If your rebound is easy to dial, slow it down a bunch.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
for many years I had a dh bike as my do-it-all-bike
20 mile rides around town? check.
1000ft climbs? check

dial in a lot of compression on the fork, and get a long-ish seattube
11-32 cassette and pumping up the tires to 45-50psi help the most.

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
Every fall I conver my V10 to a trail bike. I used to use a long Titec post that could be turned around for forward offset but it couldn't be lowered far enough for my liking. Then I got a Specialized Command Post cheap off ebay. It can also be run backward for good ST angle and with a QR on the frame it lets me lower the seat to normal DH height. Also carry a toe strap. At the bottom use your chest to push down the handlebar. Strap the lower fork crown to the fork arch. You can drop the fork a good 5" like this. I don't mess with crank length or the rear cassette. With the seatpost and fork giving me a proper climbing position pedaling a 32 ring with 25 cassettte uphill is no problem.

Frisco

Chimp
Jan 16, 2002
Vancouver, WA
I've been using a titec scoper on my DH bikes for years. It allows me to raise the seat enough to efficiently pedal without the cost and weight penalty of a true dropper post. I think it's a good option for DH frames with short seat posts.

4130biker

May 24, 2007
I've been using a titec scoper on my DH bikes for years. It allows me to raise the seat enough to efficiently pedal without the cost and weight penalty of a true dropper post. I think it's a good option for DH frames with short seat posts.
Love the idea of the titec post, but I can't find one in 30.9